The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Flea/Ticks -natural vs. frontline - have you tried OUT?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:06 am 
Forum Legend

The Nexgard topic has me wondering...

Who on this forum does NOT use frontline, advantix etc or any of those pesticidal type products?
Can one stop using frontline and ONLY use it when there is a sign of infestation? This, I think, is potentially risky due to the diseases ticks can cause.
Yes, it's more work using natural remedies or sprays - what is your level of success using these?

Last edited by Cici on Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Flea/Ticks -natural vs. frontline - pls tell us what you
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:48 am 
Forum Legend

My dog won't touch 'Springtime Bug off Garlic' dog treats. Brewer yeast was so so. I have a friend with a sheep ranch in Oregon she claims garlic and brewer yeast works for her three dogs YA RAW GARLIC. You need to know what their body limit is. I do trust her as there is plenty of deer, elk and bears.

Surprising news about dogs and garlic – what you need to know

There is a lot of controversy surrounding dogs and garlic on the Internet. Many sources believe that garlic is toxic to dogs and it should never be used in dog food. But garlic has been used for centuries as a medicinal aid by humans – is it true that it’s bad canines? The answer may not seem all that cut and dry, but it’s becoming a lot clearer. This is thanks to the research efforts of experts that say that garlic is actually good for dogs. Of course, you can’t just let your dog chew on a clove of garlic. It’s all about the amount you give your dog. Read on to learn more about garlic and dogs, and how to make it a part of your pup’s healthy diet.

Read how much to give your dog.
http://www.petguide.com/health/dog/the- ... nd-garlic/

Read someone posted that garlic cured their dog of cancer.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:53 pm 
Active Forum Member

We live in So. Cal and don't have ticks. I have used Bug Off garlic for years and never had a flea. I don't use any chemical products.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:26 am 
Forum Legend

Chewables or powder? My dogwon't touch the chewables, didn't know they had a powder. I tried to grind the chewables up but to hard for my little grinder blades. The powder can be more used full in the food.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:58 am 
Forum Legend

I don't have a flea/tick problem in Florida, but know that springtime in particular is bad for ticks at our house in TN. So about a week before we leave FL for TN, I give Gromit a Nexgard. It's worked great so far - zero ticks on her, but both hubby and me found a couple on our legs so we know they were around.

I tried Frontline, but the fur on her back was so dense that the Frontline would just dry to a white clump on top of her fur. The Nexgard has been a much better alternative for us, and since I only have to give it to her a couple of times a year when we go to TN the cost is not that prohibitive either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:00 pm 
Forum Legend

Check this out. Garden Plants That Repel Ticks

http://www.canidae.com/blog/2011/05/gar ... ticks.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:45 pm 
Forum Legend

Has anyone tried these natural remedies and do they work?

http://products.mercola.com/healthypets ... epellents/

http://www.iherb.com/Dr-Mercola-Spot-On ... Each/64754

Post subject: Re: Flea/Ticks -natural vs. frontline - have you tried OUT?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:14 am 
Forum Legend

Never seen this product before and it seems to get good reviews - though very few.

OUT! Flea and Tick Spot-On Dropper, 0.6 oz.

http://www.amazon.com/OUT-Flea-Tick-Spo ... ck+spot+on

Anyone on this forum tried it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:09 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi all,

I just took my new red-n-white cocker rescue, Brenna (who is 2 years old) to the groomer's yesterday. She had a few dog ticks and one deer tick on her -- all of which frightened me. I have had Lyme disease back in the mid 1990's and still not convinced that it is completely out of my system. I am aware that our area is full of deer as I see them in the wooded area of our backyard each day. I just didn't think that our well-manicured fenced-in backyard would promote that many ticks onto my dog(s). In all of the dogs (cockers) that I have had, I don't think I have ever had our groomer tell me that many ticks were removed during a grooming session.

I am worried about Buddy as he is an all black cocker and it would be nearly impossible to see or find ticks on him.

I have chosen NOT to give my dogs Frontline or NexGard as I do not like what I am reading/seeing/hearing about these products. But, after yesterday, I have to do *something* for proper tick control. Both of my cockers are vaccinated against Lyme but that vaccine is approximately 80% effective. Our vet's office, where our groomer works out of, is pushing me to use the NexGard product.

What to do? Cici, what have you decided to do? I need to figure this out ASAP.

Thanks for the help and recommendations!

Attachments:
bothcockers.jpg
bothcockers.jpg [ 87.5 KiB | Viewed 2058 times ]

Mom to:
"Buddy" (black cocker) - (dob 9/27/08 & rescued 5/12/15)
"Brenna" (red/white cocker) - (2 years old & rescued 8/30/15)

will never forget my babies: "Sadie" & "Snoops" ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:17 pm 
Forum Legend

I am so sorry you had to deal with Lyme's, Michele. It's tough. I too have stopped frontline and the vets push those products. It's only been a month. I am using a natural flea and tick shampoo without any wheat extract and potential yeast-feeding ingredients combined with a neem shampoo. No ticks yet or fleas, but I am scared of finding them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H0 ... ge_o04_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Specialti ... 9VZ85QRBRP

I have ordered OUT to give it a try. I have searched for alternatives myself and there seem to be no easy answers. There is the spraying before going out option, but I am not doing that yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:23 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks for your response, Anuja.

I took a closer look at the flea/tick collars that are supposedly safe but I am not happy with what I was reading and the potential danger to my family and dogs, of course. I may try one go-round with the NexGard and wait to see what happens. I hope they both will be OK but was reading that smaller dogs such as cockers should not have the dosing set for every 30 days -- more like 45+ days. I just don't know.

Our groomer told us about this product that she uses on her lawn: Sevin Lawn Insect Granules which can be applied via a fertilizer/cart or they also have various other methods. She uses it at her home and she tells me that it really works to control the ticks on her property. She also said that it was VERY safe for the grass, vegetables, plants, and most especially the dogs and people too. It's available through the local stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) or via Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sevin-Lawn-Insect ... B000I1PJHK

I think I will do that to our small fenced-in backyard first. Then, decide how to treat the pups. I also did not want to do the "spray the dogs before they go out" routine as we are still training them and they are outside for walks or to do their business often each day.

Thanks again and I'll update you on what we decide to do.

Mom to:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:19 pm 
Forum Legend

reat! Love that picture of Buddy, by the way. Seems like he is doing really well :sml

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:38 pm 
Active Forum Member

The Centers for Disease Control has issued recommendations for people who handle Sevin in the course of their work. You can read it at http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0100.pdf. It indicates that exposure can cause small pupils, watery eyes, drooling, sweating, nausea, abdominal cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, shaking and convulsions. It goes on to state that when given to pregnant animals it caused defects in their offspring. It doesn't indicate what type of animals, but I would be very careful using it around breeding pups.

I am lucky not to have to deal with ticks, so I won't try to give advice to those who do. But I would always be careful about using chemical controls, whether ingested by your dog or applied to your surroundings.

I have used beneficial nematodes against fleas (and other soil dwelling pests) in my garden. They are natural organisms which attack the soil dwelling larval forms of many garden pests, including fleas and ticks. In my area, they must be applied in the spring when the soil temp is above 40 degrees and they need to be watered in after dark. After that, as long as your soil doesn't dry out, they keep on working until the soil temp drops. You can read more about using them against ticks here: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/nematodes-ticks-72724.html

In my garden, they have eliminated root weevils and crane flies (the banes of Northwest gardeners) and have helped me keep Jennie flea free for the past 14 months. I know it is the wrong time of year for most of us but I hope this will help you plan for a pesticide free solution for next spring.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:15 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks, Susan for the warning regarding the use of Sevin.

I went into Home Depot last weekend and chose not to buy it. Not sure why I felt this way but once again my maternal instinct was to avoid any/all chemical products. I have not seen a tick as yet but am still concerned about what to do to avoid them on the dogs and on us. (sigh)

Mom to: