Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Stem cell treatment for dogs
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:46 pm 
Forum Legend

Background story

As many of you know, my husband and I adopted our third rescue cocker spaniel Cherry Pie in September 2010. Unlike Heidi and Louie (our first two cockers), Cherry has some special needs. Cherry was hit by a car at 12 weeks of age, suffered a broken right femur and was rescued by the vet when the previous owner decided to euthanize her.

We were asked to adopt Cherry, but did not know that the accident has other effects on her other than the broken leg. The point of impact was very close to her grow plate and her knee never grew right. She was diagnosed with a grade 2 slip in that knee at 7 months of age. And after she turned 2, she has undergone two corrective surgeries to fix that. Unfortunately, the surgeon cannot fix what is not there. While the initial results were good, the slips returns 3 months after the surgery both times. And it is absolutely NOT the surgeon's fault. Despite being a twice High in Trial winner and Top Obedience Cocker of WA State at the age of 2, Cherry retired from show in August 2012.

However, this girl is very high drive and cannot be without a job. The few months of her being a coach potato is very problematic. She will bark at random things (she is normally not a barker) and is just too difficult to live with. For everybody's sanity, Cherry Pie returned to her obedience show career in June 2013. She has finished her CDX in 2013 and got ranked nationally as an obedience cocker. In 2015, she become a UD before her fifth birthday. We have decided that it is time for her to get stem cell treatments to ease the pain from her arthritis in that knee.

Where do we get the idea?
A training friend of ours has a golden retriever that has double shoulder dysplasia. The golden, also a UD, was doomed to become a couch potato until his mama found a stem cell treatment facility in Oregon. The treatment has worked well for him. That boy has returned to work as a Nose Work dog. He holds the highest title in Nose Work and competes at their nationals.

Their story serves as an inspiration for us and we just to have to find a place close to us to do it.

Our experience
One day this April, I did a web search and found that Dr Crawford of Compassionate Critter Care in Bremerton, WA treats animals using the MediVet stem cell technology.

And here is what to expect:

1. Initial consultation to determine if stem cell is right for the dog
In April, we scheduled a stem cell consultation appointment. Other than the regular annual exam type of physical exam, Dr Crawford performed a neurological and orthopedic exam on Cherry to make sure that she was indeed a potential candidate. Cherry passed that screening.

Dr Crawford also goes through the cost and various treatment options for Cherry. Our rough plan is to extract the stem cell from her belly fat, process the stem cells, then inject into her knees and hips, and then also do an IV fraction (which will fix everything else reachable via blood stream). And we will bank the remaining cells for future use.

The cost of the initial exam was $65.

2. Full cancer screen at our regular vet
While stem cell is a wonderful thing, it should never be used on dogs with cancer. Stem cells can cause the cancer cells to blow up as well. So it is very important that we do a full cancer screen as we have opted to do the IV fraction (she is only 5 and we want to optimize her quality of life).

The cancer screen includes clinical observation, chest x-ray, full body scan and an ONCO blood test. The cost was about $600 in our area. Our area is kind of costly for these kind of things. Cherry passed that too.

3. Preparation for the stem cell treatment
72 hours before the appointment: stop giving NSAIDs (Rimadyl or other anti-inflammatory medication).
24 hours before the appointment: stop all prescriptions not approved by the Doctor to continue
No food or drink after 8pm the night before.

2 weeks before the treatment day, pay $900 down payment to purchase the MediVet stem cell kit.

4. Day of the treatment
We drop off Cherry at 8am at the clinic.
In the morning, they put her under and extract the fat cells from her abdomen.
They process the stem cells.
In the afternoon, they injected Cherry's knees and hips.
And then she was sedated again for the IV fraction.

She was ready to go home at 4:30pm and was still waking up.

It is important to understand that this treatment should be treated like any other surgeries. She has staples in her abs that need to come out in 2 weeks. (I like to joke that she got a lipo suction.) And she needs to be on pain meds and strict rest immediately after the treatment.

The total cost for the whole treatment is about $2100. And since I already paid $900 down payment, the bill was $1200.

Also, since we signed up via the web with MediVet, they waived the first year of stem cell banking fee of $150. Subsequent years will be $150 each. The cost to repeat the procedure with the banked cells will be $200-$250 in the future.

5. Observation right after the treatment
The week before her treatment, Cherry injured herself when jumping onto the sofa. She was limping, having problems getting down to pee and had problems getting back up. We had to skip obedience class.

The first day after the treatment, she still seems out of it and a little stiff. 48 hours afterwards, the stiffness is gone and she is eating like a normal cocker spaniel again. We still have her under strict crate rest until her staples come out.

What is she like now?
A week after the treatment, here is what Cherry looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQJYkhWdn9Y

Her staples came out yesterday morning. And here is a video of her today (2 weeks after the treatment):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKz4OGwf_kE

She looks pain free and happy. She is cleared to return to work.

Cherry UDX RE CGC R/W Parti DOB: 4/1/10

Post subject: Re: Stem cell treatment for dogs
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:22 pm 
Forum Legend

And here is the link to MediVet's web page:

http://medivetbiologics.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:07 pm 
Forum Legend

What an amazing and informative story! Thank you. I am so glad she is doing so well!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:13 pm 
Forum Legend

I didn't know all of Cherry Pie's history. I can't even Imagine what she could do, had she not been hit by the car at 12 weeks. She's obviously one very smart and special little girl. She was so lucky to have found you, or maybe very smart :sun. She looks happy chasing her ball again! :sml

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:18 am 
Active Forum Member

That is one incredible story! The fact that Cherry had to endure so many surgeries and then to have them fail, that itself is so depressing. And I know the dedication it takes to get a dog with no disabilities through the levels of obedience, I did it with my previous dog, and it is no small feat, and I can only imagine the discomfort that she may have been in, when in a trial. And I know the disappointment when they don't make it, and you have to wait for the next one. Hats off to the both of you. It is so good that you found out about the stem cell program, and that you were able to do this for her. I hope she continues to improve and that this will work for her. It was great watching the second video of her running around just two weeks after the procedure. Seeing that you are banking her stem cells, how long do they expect this treatment to last.?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:22 pm 
Forum Legend

Denise, they said that it would last about 2 years before we should consider another injection. If she is still in excellent shape in two years health-wise, we should do another IV fraction after a cancer screen. If not, we would just do injection on the specific locations.

Hopefully, by then, we would be done with her UDX. And we will be starting her Nosework and perhaps tracking career. I am saving her RAE for her old age.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:38 pm 
Forum Legend

Stella, what a wonderful success story for you and Cherry Pie! :love :YAY :Clap

Thank you so much for documenting it here, perhaps it will help another family with treatment for their dog.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:52 pm 
Forum Legend

I was reading about the stem cell for torn ACL treatment.

Don't remember what year it was but a doctor was doing this operation over ten years ago in the Denver area. The FDA shut him down and he was getting a very successful healing rate over knee replacement. His best patent was a 65 year old man that ran, swim, and bike contestant. Just one reason I hate the medical practices of today. I fired my heart dr. seven years ago. After a emergency stent replacement that there wasn't anything wrong after going into my heart artery. Showed a problem on the heart stress test.

I repaired my knee as it took four months to walk up stairs, I never gave up walking, but could not walk up a hill for several months. The hardest thing to do was pulling my left leg into my Jetta, with no problem operating the clutch. Ya, diet can help and cure.

As you said about 2 grand but didn't know about the cancer test.

Thanks for sharing

Joe.

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:55 am 
Active Forum Member

[quote="Joe in North Bay Ca"]I was read about the stem cell for torn ACL treatment.

Don't remember what year it was but a doctor was doing this over ten years age in the Denver area. The FDA shut him down and he was getting a very successful healing rate over knee replacement. His best patent was a 65 year old man that ran, swim, and bike contestant. Just one reason I hate the medical practices of today. I fired my heart dr. seven years ago. After a emergency stent replacement that there wasn't anything wrong after a stress test.

I'm surprised of how fast this took!

Thanks for sharing

Joe, Thanks for bringing that up, I thought I remembered reading about Stem cell therapy on knees a couple of years ago, but I couldn't remember what the procedure was, but yes they are doing this on people. From what I remember they didn't recommend this on athletes, but the general public it is pretty effective. After I had Lyme, because my joints were weakened I tore my ACL in my knee, I passed on the typical surgery for the time, but winters are very tough on me, I have no control in the winter on slippery surfaces and fall all the time and I know that I am going to have to do something soon before I fall and break a bone, this is a very viable solution. And thanks Stella for bringing this up, its not just for the dogs. :lol2

http://www.smartchoicestemcell.com/blog ... njury.aspx

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:07 am 
Forum Legend

You don't need either as my I told my GP my knee was going out three months before being bedridden with ice packs two pillows under the knee COULD NOT SLEEP ON MY SIDE. Just moving the knee side ways was a killer! Don't know if bone to bone or a tear.

Same with a bad neck, bad back they wanted to fuse it all together. Back to the knee it took me three months to walk up a hill, then 25 steps. On our daily walk I could only do the flats when back to the car and pull in my left leg.

Diet is the cure! Not a pill! Haven't been back to the GP either as all he did was put a RED X on his human chart on the left knee.

If your interested I'll post this Youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Px4srCLxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsrP0oTReHI

If you want more information PM me. It's your health! Look it up yourself. We are missing needed trace minerals! Kibble is better food than what we eat for trace minerals.

Joe

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:51 pm 
Forum Legend

Watch the process of stem cell on a hip on a Black Lab. 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTTD2SBtWCs

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:19 pm 
Forum Legend

Denise,
I hope that you will get better soon via diet or treatments.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:15 pm 
Forum Legend

Denise in CT wrote:
Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
I was read about the stem cell for torn ACL treatment.

Don't remember what year it was but a doctor was doing this over ten years age in the Denver area. The FDA shut him down and he was getting a very successful healing rate over knee replacement. His best patent was a 65 year old man that ran, swim, and bike contestant. Just one reason I hate the medical practices of today. I fired my heart dr. seven years ago. After a emergency stent replacement that there wasn't anything wrong after a stress test.

I'm surprised of how fast this took!

Thanks for sharing

Joe, Thanks for bringing that up, I thought I remembered reading about Stem cell therapy on knees a couple of years ago, but I couldn't remember what the procedure was, but yes they are doing this on people. From what I remember they didn't recommend this on athletes, but the general public it is pretty effective. After I had Lyme, because my joints were weakened I tore my ACL in my knee, I passed on the typical surgery for the time, but winters are very tough on me, I have no control in the winter on slippery surfaces and fall all the time and I know that I am going to have to do something soon before I fall and break a bone, this is a very viable solution. And thanks Stella for bringing this up, its not just for the dogs. :lol2

http://www.smartchoicestemcell.com/blog ... njury.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-GrPVXZSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gei4_8ZAvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPWCJxyHAg4

A must watch videos, it works! Learn to make Kemchi and use real sea salt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:12 pm 
Forum Legend

So how is the dogs body doing with the stem cells treatment shots?

Joe