The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce Yourself!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:07 pm 
Forum Legend

:Wlcm Tommy and pasha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:46 pm 
Active Forum Member

:hi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:27 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Tommy and Pasha wrote:
Hello we are new to this forum and we would like to introduce ourselves. We are the Blitsch family and we live in Las Vegas. Our names are tommy and pasha we have three kids Eddie (who's off to college) Ryne (13 years) old and Mia (12 years old). We have a wonderful Cocker named Wrigley. Wrigley is a buff colored male with some white color in his coat. He will be 7 years old next month. Wrigley is our first Cocker and we wouldn't trade him for the world. He thinks he's human. His favorite toys are stuffed Monkeys. Other than Wrigley having cherry eye when he was a pup and a couple ear infections he has never had any medical issues. We are in the process of adding a new member to our family (Cocker). We are glad we found this site as it has so much information on it. We will post a picture of Wrigley soon.

Welcome Tommy and Pasha :wv
Glad to see you here!
There is so much to learn and so much sharing of information here on the forum.
Enjoy!

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:07 am 
Active Forum Member

debbiefive wrote:
Chelsea wrote:
My hope was to try breeding a couple of times, so I don't know if I could. Is it possible to rescue AKC registered dogs?

Rescues usually spay or neuter and for good reason. There is a lot more to breeding than putting 2 dogs together. You can read up on the zim family site and the breeding area on the forum.

Debbie, you are so nice. :hp :wv
All I could think was:
:wow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:18 am 
Active Forum Member

Tommy and Pasha wrote:
Hello we are new to this forum and we would like to introduce ourselves. We are the Blitsch family and we live in Las Vegas. Our names are tommy and pasha we have three kids Eddie (who's off to college) Ryne (13 years) old and Mia (12 years old). We have a wonderful Cocker named Wrigley. Wrigley is a buff colored male with some white color in his coat. He will be 7 years old next month. Wrigley is our first Cocker and we wouldn't trade him for the world. He thinks he's human. His favorite toys are stuffed Monkeys. Other than Wrigley having cherry eye when he was a pup and a couple ear infections he has never had any medical issues. We are in the process of adding a new member to our family (Cocker). We are glad we found this site as it has so much information on it. We will post a picture of Wrigley soon.

:wv Hi Tommy & Pasha!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi all,

My name is Kate. I'm from California (born in the Central Valley, college in the Bay Area). I just finished school and will be moving back home while job searching. I've had two previous cockers: the first (Beethoven) we got as a puppy when I was five, the second (Jet) was adopted from the shelter where I volunteered. We adopted our current cocker/lab mix (Rusty) just last December after Jet passed away in October. Unfortunately it looks like Rusty has cancer (he's 6) so we've started looking into getting a cocker puppy. With me returning home (and having plenty of time to train a new puppy) and my parents nearing retirement we were thinking of getting into agility competitions.

Attachment:
File comment: Our current dog Rusty with our cat Fisher.
img063.jpg
img063.jpg [ 33.77 KiB | Viewed 2732 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:42 pm 
Forum Legend

:hi Welcome, Kate. I'm so sorry to hear about Rusty. I hope that you find your new cocker. California has a lot of good quality breeders. Search for one that does the health testing and beyond.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:45 pm 
Forum Member

Hi! I'm Shari and am thrilled to have found this forum. :wv

My family includes my husband, twin 8 year olds, and 2 fuzzy babies. Brady is an 11 1/2 year old red cocker that we've had since he was a puppy. Sully is our new addition. He's a 15 wk old buff cocker who came to us indirectly from a breeder. He had a different home from 9 - 13 wks but they weren't prepared for how "puppy" a puppy is so we were thrilled to take him in.

I'm quickly realizing I forgot what it's like to have a puppy around so I'm really looking forward to all the info I can get from all of you!

These are my boys...
Sul0003 by boz815, on Flickr
Brady0001 by boz815, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:36 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Shari :hi Welcome to the forum! Brady and Sully are so cute and we're glad to have you join us. I lost my 16 y/o girl last year and got a 15 month old 5 months later - so I understand how you "forget" about the puppiness. We're ready to see lots of pictures whenever you are!

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:42 pm 
Forum Legend

Welcome Shari. Your pups are cuties

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:15 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi! I'm Hannah and I've posted once before but figured this was the best place to really get introduced! I am the proud owner of a 3 month old chocolate sable cocker spaniel named Hobbes. As a first time puppy owner it has been quite an adventure, but I wouldn't trade him for anything :) I love to lurk around the forum, learning as much as I can as this is my first cocker. So far I have nothing but great things to say and am very happy with my choice of breed. Hope to learn more and more as I go!

Attachments:
hobbes 233.JPG
hobbes 233.JPG [ 100.12 KiB | Viewed 2522 times ]
hobbes edit.jpg
hobbes edit.jpg [ 61.17 KiB | Viewed 2522 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:53 am 
Active Forum Member

Hello everyone!!!!
I also posted before but i see that this is the place to do the formal introduction...
so here it is: My name is Tammy and i live in Jersey City. I am a single mom of four children and i also have one grandson, I never been married... this will be our first puppy we have 5 turtles and we have had cats in the pass...
As some of you know Sophia will be coming home in about 2 to 2 and a half weeks, and we cannot wait...
I am happy I joined being that we never had a dog before we / I have learned a log on here.

here is a few pictures of my family and Sophia....
more pictures of Sophia and my family when she comes home.....

Attachments:
File comment: my two daughters ages 15 and 12, my son age 17 and my g-son age 2... before church on Easter Sunday
2012-04-08 08.24.12.jpg
2012-04-08 08.24.12.jpg [ 109.68 KiB | Viewed 2517 times ]
File comment: Miss Sophia at a about 2-3 weeks old
2012-07-16 16.10.17.jpg
2012-07-16 16.10.17.jpg [ 101.2 KiB | Viewed 2517 times ]

mother to 4 children 3 girls ages 22, 15, and 12
and one son age 17
grandmother to 1 grandson age 2
and soon to be mommy to sophia cocker spaniel 7/1/12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:21 am 
Forum Legend

Welcome Hannah and Hobbes.

Hobbes is adorable!

Be sure to post lots of photos as Hobbes grows....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:24 am 
Forum Legend

Welcome Tammy, family and Sophia.

Ok - So Sophia is a beauty - but I can't tell which makes me smile more... Sophia or that adorable little boy in his beautiful suit :) Keep posting the photos as Sophia grows - it is so nice to see them along the way... And, if you have any issues come up as she grows.. I have found great support here on the site for all the stages we've gone through with our boy - Arlo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:30 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hey! I'm Emily, 19/20 (it's my birthday today), I live near Belfast in Northern Ireland and my mum and I are raising a cocker puppy. (I say raising because he seems to need as much care as a human baby!)

'Jack' is a blue roan English cocker spaniel, working strain. This is our first cocker, and we chose him because mum wanted a dog that would be a companion for her and could walk for miles with her. We also have a male choc lab called Fudge, who's old and lame now but still the best dog ever. Before Fudge we had an English springer spaniel and an Irish setter, both fondly remembered as mum's best friends. We also have two cats.

I joined this forum to ask for advice about my new puppy! It looks like see most of you are American/ Canadian ;) and have American cockers, but sure they're all the same breed anyway!

Attachments:
File comment: Jack at 9 weeks
Jack cutest.1.jpg
Jack cutest.1.jpg [ 51.46 KiB | Viewed 2499 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Everyone!!! :hi My name is Megan and I have had my precious cocker spaniel puppy named Cooper :love for over a month now!! I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to introduce myself and show off pictures of my sweet little boy!!!

Attachments:
File comment: Cooper!
coop.jpg
coop.jpg [ 18.34 KiB | Viewed 2484 times ]
File comment: Cooper showing off his new Alabama shirt just in time for football season!!
bamacoop.JPG
bamacoop.JPG [ 33.88 KiB | Viewed 2484 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:05 am 
Forum Legend

Hi, I'm Patti. I have just now joined. :happy
This is my first post, although I have heard and read about Zim cockers.
I will be fostering senior rescue cockers as soon as we get back from vacation on Sept 22.
My boys are from OC Cocker Rescue in Fountain Valley, CA. My first foster boy is Ryan. He is 13 yrs old and he is deaf. We have deaf children (adults), so what's 1 more deaf, right ?
My second foster rescue boy is Sunny, and he is 9 yrs. old.
We have had cockers before, both rescues, but it has been awhile.
As soon as I figure out how to downsize photos, I will post pix of our boys.

Attachments:
File comment: These are my 2 foster boys, Ryan and Sunny. Sunny's pic isn't too good, as it was taken on the way out of the shelter.
1Ej15-1cS-1.jpg
1Ej15-1cS-1.jpg [ 50.74 KiB | Viewed 2366 times ]

Ryan------1999-2012---Our first foster.
Rowdy----1986-1997---Our 2nd rescue.
Buffy----- 1986-1996---Our 1st rescue.
Pokey-----My sons' childhood Cocker.
Poochie---My childhood Cocker.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:53 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Megan and Cooper. Welcome to the forum, as well as Patti. Megan is great to have another alabamian in the forum. There are not many. Cooper is ready to roll tide. Is amazing how similar he looks to my Holly at that age.
Patti is great the work you are doing by rescuing seniors. That is what i think i will do in the nearvfuture.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

Post subject: !!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:28 pm 
Recommended Breeder

For about 18 mos, I have been lurking and enjoying this forum. Last weekend, I posted a question and have greatly appreciated the replies. Since I have come out of the woodwork, so to speak, I have decided it is time to introduce myself. I am a 54-year-old GATE teacher (gifted children). Last May, after several years of thinking about it (it's a huge commitment!), I got my first dog in 40 years. That rapidly snowballed, and now I have 3 cockers!

1. Samamari's Me and My Shadow CGC, RN Shadow is a beautiful black boy and he started it all. When I started looking for a puppy, I knew that I wanted a show-quality (because I believe function follows form) black boy that I would neuter and show in performance. I wasn't sure if I would be able to find someone willing to sell me a show quality dog that I was going to neuter. I was very fortunate that great breeder was willing to do so. He is beautiful, smart, and most importantly, has the most wonderful and loving temperament. We are having great fun working as a performance team. We achieved our Rally Novice title on our first three outings and have continued showing in Novice B while we have waited for Shadow to gain some emotional maturity. Shadow placed fourth with a score of 97 and first with a score of 99 at the Ventura show in July. This fall/winter, we will venture into the Rally Advanced ring.

2. Ch Glenmurray's Midnight Tango Tango is the reason for my initial post last weekend. She is a beautiful black-and-tan show dog. However, the most appealing thing about her is her personality. I know all cockers melt hearts but she even melted the heart of her seasoned, somewhat gruff, handler. She just stops traffic with her expression and gets away with murder because of it! She's full of mischief, stubborn, and demands to be the center of attention-- probably what makes her enjoy being a show dog.

3. Glenmurray's Semper Fi RN Gibbs is my newest,but unexpected dog. I co-own him with Lois Wilson of Glenmurray Cockers. Initially, Lois loaned him to me to learn to show with, but he and I fell in love with each other and now he's mine. I had planned on showing him in conformation, but he was very shy and I could see he would be uncomfortable in the ring. So I started him in Rally. He loves it! Just three weeks after I started him in Rally, I entered him in the Ventura show. I didn't expect him to do anything except hopefully gain positive ring experience. Much to my surprise, he scored 79, 93, and 94 to finish his Rally Novice title! Did I mention that he is very smart? More important, his tail was up and wagging! Two weeks later, I showed him in a puppy match and he took group. But once again most importantly, he enjoyed it! In a week and a half, we're going to our first conformation show with me handling-- aaaaaaaahhh!
I find the idea of the conformation ring totally unnerving, probably because of all the professional handlers. Rally doesn't bother me at all! Oh, and Gibbs is also a black-and-tan.

So, there's my little cocker family. My friends all find it rather amusing because I'm known as the Cat Lady. I trapped, neutered, and released feral cats in a colony near my home. But that's another story...

Attachments:
File comment: Glenmurray's Semper Fi RN (Gibbs)
IMG_1533.jpg
IMG_1533.jpg [ 64.72 KiB | Viewed 2296 times ]
File comment: Samamari's Me and My Shadow CGC, RN
Shadow and his tennis ball obssession

IMG_1510.jpg
IMG_1510.jpg [ 91.1 KiB | Viewed 2296 times ]
File comment: Shadow conked out after a day of hiking and playing in the river
IMG_1466.jpg
IMG_1466.jpg [ 71.47 KiB | Viewed 2296 times ]
File comment: Shadow at 5 mos.
IMG_1395.jpg
IMG_1395.jpg [ 121.88 KiB | Viewed 2296 times ]
File comment: Ch Glenmurray's Midnight Tango
Tango was handled by Shirley Sanders and Tracy Lynn Carroll (TLC in this photo)

sc0000fd25.jpg
sc0000fd25.jpg [ 99.13 KiB | Viewed 2296 times ]

Last edited by Gale on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:44 pm 
Forum Legend

Welcome to the forum, gale and your heart stealing cockers. It sounds like all 4 of you are having a blast.

We need pics. It's a forum requirement :evil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:09 pm 
Forum Legend

Welcome Gale. And thanks so much for posting.

I am VERY impressed with how quickly you have become a new dog mom and gotten them into the ring.

We are very slow over here .. Like you (after years of cats only) we got our first dog. Arlo ...

I love all your dogs - they are very pretty and how wonderful that you got lucky on the personality front too!

Leigh & Alro :Parti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:13 pm 
Recommended Breeder

Thank you Leigh for your compliment. In return I would like to say that I have been very impressed with the love and fortitude you have shown on your journey with Arlo. Two months ago Tango had a tumor on her hind leg that the vet felt was probably malignant. It was removed and ultimately proved to be benign. However it was a very unusual form of a common histiocyte and it took two weeks for the path report to come back. I was in agony for those two weeks. I can only imagine what you and Arlo's other mom have been through! At points when reading your posts I have had tears streaming down my face.
Hopefully someday soon I'll meet you and Arlo at an agility meet (I live in Riverside) or maybe you'd like to try Rally?
Gale

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:03 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Gale, Patti, Megan and Emily :hi

So nice to have you all join our little cocker family. All of your dogs are just beautiful and we look forward to hearing of their adventures and seeing their pictures.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:18 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hello! My name is Cheryl and my husband and I have a Cocker Spaniel named Blue. We live in Montana. Blue is the second dog that I have had as an adult. My first was my Cocker Spaniel Betty, who I adopted from OBG Cocker Rescue in 2005 when she was 7. I feel very strongly about animal rescue. Betty and I moved from Virginia to Montana in 2006. My husband and I had to put Betty down this past June due to her advanced age. She was wonderful and we were crazy about her. We miss her a lot.

We just adopted Blue 2 months ago. He is 10 months old and we are his third (and final!) home. He loves to off leash hike and we do a ton of hiking with him to keep him busy. We are surprised at how well behaved he is. We all went to a 6 week obedience class together as soon as we got him, and it was great for all three of us. We are working on walking on a leash, but he is making progress. Blue is extremely good natured and sweet and we just are really enjoying him. He’s got a real zest for life!

We were told that Blue is a Liver Roan. We have never seen a Cocker that looks like him. I had a black Cocker growing up, Betty was buff, and my parents have a reddish buff and white Cocker, also from OBG. If any of you who are familiar with Cocker colors are interested in sharing your thoughts on his colors, we’d love to hear them! His fur is soft and grows in very curly when it’s super long. Blue has incredibly long eyelashes like we’ve never seen before that extend much lower than his eyes. One is white and one is brown! He also has really sticky-out whiskers which we’ve never seen on a Cocker.

I work in HR at a bank and have been there for 6 years and my husband works for a conservation organization. We are both 32. I love to hike, play soccer, read and watch football. My husband loves to hunt and fish and is an amazing cook. Our lives are very happy and full especially now that we have Blue and I feel very fortunate. It’s nice to meet you and your Cockers. I hope you all have a great day!

Oh and the photos are-

Blue up close on a hike
Blue and I at a lake here in Montana
Blue zonked out in the tent when we went camping

Attachments:
File comment: Close up!
Blue Goes Camping 2.JPG
Blue Goes Camping 2.JPG [ 103.92 KiB | Viewed 2131 times ]
File comment: A great time.
cher blue lake 3.JPG
cher blue lake 3.JPG [ 428.2 KiB | Viewed 2131 times ]
File comment: It took a while, but he finally fell asleep.
Blue passed out.JPG
Blue passed out.JPG [ 280.02 KiB | Viewed 2131 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:02 am 
Forum Member

Hi my name is Angie. I live is England, the West Midlands area with my husband and 2 very grown up sons I have 10 Norwegian Forest cats which I show + breed. I used to show dogs and do a bit of agility but a serious ankle injury an end to that. In the past I have had have border collies and briards and now have an elderly cavalier king charles. I have ALWAYS wanted a cocker spaniel but as I didn't like tail docking I never had one until now. I had to have 2 dogs put to sleep this year which meant I could finally have my cocker.
Purdey is now 5 months old and is a black + tan. I wanted a chocolate + tan but they are not at all popular in the UK unlike they are in the USA. I have now found someone who may have choc + tan pups in the future and have asked for one as soon as Purdey has calmed down a bit lol! I have had about 30 dogs in my life but only one have have I loved as much as this one. She is very intelligent and enthusiastic about everything. If only we could get her to not pull on the lead she would be the greatest dog I ever had.
I will post photos later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next