An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Here's A Question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:57 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

As you know my Cody comes to work with me each month and works with my developmentally disabled consumers. I had even posted a wonderful story about him bonding with a little girl that was very physcially involved (viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6607).

Now for the sad part - the little girl in that story recently died as did a second little girl Cody took a liking to while there. They were both little peanuts that Cody so loved to snuggle with. How do I help Cody realize that they are not there? You know - when it's family since he'd be a part of it it's different. Each time he'd go to the school he'd race down the hall to see these two little ones. I'm figuring I should just play it cool and see how he reacts when he goes to "their spot" and sees they're not there and take my cue from that but the staff is so upset I'm sure he'll get some "reading" off of them. Cody is SO darn good at picking up feelings (which is what makes him an awesome therapy dog) but I also know he reacts to those feelings. Any advice from "therapy dog" teams that have dealt with something like this?

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

Post subject: Re: Here's A Question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:37 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Since Grace and I visit senior residences, we deal with death from time to time. What I've found is that Grace just carries on, almost as if she seems to sense that the person is gone and no longer needing her comfort and care. I have no doubt that she misses them, but she certainly doesn't show outward signs of grieving. I take my cues from her, and adjust my attitude based on what she seems to need from me.

I'm sure it will be tough on Cody to see that his little friends are gone . . . but I honestly think that dogs are much wiser than us, and I think he'll know that they're in a better place now.