The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: titers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:10 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:10 pm
Posts: 6440
Abby passed with flying colors!!! No needles for her for a LONG time if ever per the vet. Ava is next and I'm sure she will pass too. :YAY I was so happy about Abby because she is a yeasty little girl, and scares me even more to vaccinate. If her face wrinkles or droops or neck sags worse and she'll be mistaken for the thanksgiving turkey someday. I love that little head :gig

I didn't get the counts, but was told some time ago, diff clinics can vary so much it wasn't important to ask for them. The fact she has excellent immunities was enough for me.

Image

Image

_________________
Abby (B&W) 3/25/09
Ava (B&T) 3/25/09


Last edited by debbiefive on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:18 am 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:12 am
Posts: 79
Great news!

My alternative vet said she could titer for me, but she said that the way the laws were in the State of Indiana (back-a-ward) that you were still required to do rabies yearly. Is that what you ran into?

She did point me in the direction of a vet that would do a 3-year on the other shots, which she said was better than yearly.

_________________
Namees Bentley Continential CGC, RE
Crescentmoons Rolls Royce CGC,BN RE
CH Crescentmoons Determinator CGC, BN RA


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:20 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:10 pm
Posts: 6440
Yep, my girls had the 3 yr shot last year for RABIES ONLY. You can do that here. Also, I have to do bordatello yearly or whenever I want to kennel, otherwise no need.

_________________
Abby (B&W) 3/25/09
Ava (B&T) 3/25/09


Last edited by debbiefive on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:56 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:34 am
Posts: 2634
Location: Central Colorado
:Clap Great news Debbie!

_________________
Halli Madison 8/17/93 - 2/11/2006
Missing my sweet girl with all my heart.


The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:48 pm 
Offline
I Rescue Cockers
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:52 am
Posts: 3084
Location: Westchester, NY
That is great news! I haven't given ANY shots since puppy series were completed on any of mine and Teddy is now 8! Can you imagine how much useless junk is pumped into those poor pups if they are just given shots yearly? :dk

_________________
Teddy - 11/11/03
Annie - 2/13/05
Jennie - Gotcha 9/14/11
Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:57 pm 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:10 pm
Posts: 6440
Vickie wrote:
That is great news! I haven't given ANY shots since puppy series were completed on any of mine and Teddy is now 8! Can you imagine how much useless junk is pumped into those poor pups if they are just given shots yearly? :dk


Yep and for years I did that with previous pets!

_________________
Abby (B&W) 3/25/09
Ava (B&T) 3/25/09


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:42 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Northern Alberta, Canada
Debbie, we ALL vaccinated our pets annually . . . that's what we were told was best. I'm just glad to know better now. Like Vickie, I don't vaccinate after puppy series, except for when I want to bring my dogs to the US. Then they need to have had a rabies vaccine within the last year.

_________________
Kelly & the KLAD Cockers
Farley, Grace & Jack Jack
http://www.kladcockers.com


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:11 pm 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 3481
YAY!!!! Great news! :YAY :YAY

_________________
Emma - 6/23/10 -
Waylon (non-cocker, terrorist) 2/1/01 -

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:59 pm 
Offline
Active Forum Member
 Profile

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:08 am
Posts: 116
I'm wondering if someone has the no-how and writing ability to write up an informative post about titers and the option of not vaccinating their pets for readers who don't know about this. It's really important information.

I do have to give my dog the kennel cough vaccine because he came to me with really bad lungs and last year when I brought in a dog straight from the shelter that came down with kennel cough, he caught it and it went into pnuemonia. He was only one month late on the vaccine and I wasn't going to give it to him at all but I learned the hard way on him. But he is the exception. One can also find some groomers that don't require the rabies vaccine and not everyone chooses to license their dog with the county. With high quality food and a healthy environement, a dog can usually fend off disease with their own immune systems.

I hope someone might be able to post about the dangers of some vaccines and the alternatives to not giving your dog the vaccines.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:05 pm 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 2768
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
WTG Abby! :Clap

Congratulations Debbie... that is wonderful news! I had Chessie titered a little while ago... her results were great too! Did your vet say anything about how often you need to titer?

_________________
Lisa R

Chesapeake OA, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

Competing in Excellent Agility STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's
Competing in Master Agility JWW


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:13 pm 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:10 pm
Posts: 6440
Any year that I want to kennel them, as a titer or the shots would be required. It is my understanding the kennel requires an up to date titer (less than one year).
Lisa R wrote:
WTG Abby! :Clap

Congratulations Debbie... that is wonderful news! I had Chessie titered a little while ago... her results were great too! Did your vet say anything about how often you need to titer?

_________________
Abby (B&W) 3/25/09
Ava (B&T) 3/25/09


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:09 am 
Offline
I Rescue Cockers
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:27 am
Posts: 1706
I think I am a bit jealous as we have to follow the rules of no shots no grooming, or boarding, or dog parks. As my babies get older it is important to think about. I agree an informational post would be very helpful.

_________________
Deborah in South Carolina

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:18 am 
Offline
I Rescued A Cocker!
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:08 pm
Posts: 229
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Perfect timing on this thread. I would like to jump in if I may.

Just the other day I spoke with my vet about titers and she wasn't what you would call happy about it, but did say she has a couple of pets that require titers. She warned me that they are VERY expensive compared to the shots. She had one of the vet techs call me back with the cost of titers - there were two. One titer was $160.00 and the other was $170.00 (plus office visit, etc.) I am wondering if everyone is paying those types of prices or if she jacked them up because she is old school and very PRO vaccine.

_________________
Ellie Mae - Sable (rescued 5/1/2009)
Charley Brown - Choc. & Tan (rescued 3/6/2010)


http://www.etsy.com/shop/treasurepicker

History you can touch!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:18 am 
Janet White wrote:
I'm wondering if someone has the no-how and writing ability to write up an informative post about titers and the option of not vaccinating their pets for readers who don't know about this. It's really important information.

I do have to give my dog the kennel cough vaccine because he came to me with really bad lungs and last year when I brought in a dog straight from the shelter that came down with kennel cough, he caught it and it went into pnuemonia. He was only one month late on the vaccine and I wasn't going to give it to him at all but I learned the hard way on him. But he is the exception. One can also find some groomers that don't require the rabies vaccine and not everyone chooses to license their dog with the county. With high quality food and a healthy environement, a dog can usually fend off disease with their own immune systems.

I hope someone might be able to post about the dangers of some vaccines and the alternatives to not giving your dog the vaccines.


There is excellent information by Kris L Christine in the caring for your cocker section about just this. Search all forum post from this person and you'll find everything you need to know. One of them is stickied in that forum section.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:28 am 
DotInFlorida wrote:
Perfect timing on this thread. I would like to jump in if I may.

Just the other day I spoke with my vet about titers and she wasn't what you would call happy about it, but did say she has a couple of pets that require titers. She warned me that they are VERY expensive compared to the shots. She had one of the vet techs call me back with the cost of titers - there were two. One titer was $160.00 and the other was $170.00 (plus office visit, etc.) I am wondering if everyone is paying those types of prices or if she jacked them up because she is old school and very PRO vaccine.


Yes titer are more expensive than vaccines. Yes I think your vet is jacking them up because she doesn't believe in them. I think I paid around 70 dollars from my vet and I live in a place with relatively high vet expenses. Dr Dodds https://labordatenbank.com/cake/hemopet ... mopet_form offers titers for 42 dollars for Parvo and Distemper. I would expect your vet to charge a blood draw fee and packaging fee, but that's nowhere near 330.00 dollars worth of work.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:09 am 
Offline
I Rescued A Cocker!
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:08 pm
Posts: 229
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Thanks Julie! That is what I suspected but I didn't have any numbers ($) to compare it to.
Thanks for the link too. :cool

Julie Hydro wrote:
DotInFlorida wrote:
Perfect timing on this thread. I would like to jump in if I may.

Just the other day I spoke with my vet about titers and she wasn't what you would call happy about it, but did say she has a couple of pets that require titers. She warned me that they are VERY expensive compared to the shots. She had one of the vet techs call me back with the cost of titers - there were two. One titer was $160.00 and the other was $170.00 (plus office visit, etc.) I am wondering if everyone is paying those types of prices or if she jacked them up because she is old school and very PRO vaccine.


Yes titer are more expensive than vaccines. Yes I think your vet is jacking them up because she doesn't believe in them. I think I paid around 70 dollars from my vet and I live in a place with relatively high vet expenses. Dr Dodds https://labordatenbank.com/cake/hemopet ... mopet_form offers titers for 42 dollars for Parvo and Distemper. I would expect your vet to charge a blood draw fee and packaging fee, but that's nowhere near 330.00 dollars worth of work.

_________________
Ellie Mae - Sable (rescued 5/1/2009)
Charley Brown - Choc. & Tan (rescued 3/6/2010)


http://www.etsy.com/shop/treasurepicker

History you can touch!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:40 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 2768
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
DotInFlorida wrote:
Perfect timing on this thread. I would like to jump in if I may.

Just the other day I spoke with my vet about titers and she wasn't what you would call happy about it, but did say she has a couple of pets that require titers. She warned me that they are VERY expensive compared to the shots. She had one of the vet techs call me back with the cost of titers - there were two. One titer was $160.00 and the other was $170.00 (plus office visit, etc.) I am wondering if everyone is paying those types of prices or if she jacked them up because she is old school and very PRO vaccine.



Yikes! That's a pricey! I got Chessie titered this year. I called around and asked prices for both Parvo and Distemper titers. I got a range of prices from $101.00 for BOTH titers to $120.00 EACH titer. (plus office visit) If I were you I'd call around and get some quotes. When getting quotes make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Here are some of the things I verified when getting quotes....

Ask if the cost includes ~ the office visit (usually extra)~ blood draw (included)~ hazardous waste disposal (extra) ~ shipping (included)~ follow up appointment for results ~ and of course, is the price for both titers or each individual titer.

I knew going in that titers where more expensive than just getting the shots. Knowing what I do now... I believe the shots cost our pets way more in the long run.

_________________
Lisa R

Chesapeake OA, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

Competing in Excellent Agility STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's
Competing in Master Agility JWW


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:20 am 
Offline
I Rescued A Cocker!
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:08 pm
Posts: 229
Location: New Port Richey, FL
I agree with you Lisa - I think it costs our pets more in their health than our $.

I expected the hit in the pocket - but I almost fell over at those numbers, especially now that I have something to compare them too! :OMY

BTW - I printed out the prices from the link Julie gave me. :wink

_________________
Ellie Mae - Sable (rescued 5/1/2009)
Charley Brown - Choc. & Tan (rescued 3/6/2010)


http://www.etsy.com/shop/treasurepicker

History you can touch!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:51 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:10 pm
Posts: 6440
I paid $85 for abby to be tested. That is less than the vacs. Your vet is jacking it up big time

_________________
Abby (B&W) 3/25/09
Ava (B&T) 3/25/09


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:26 pm 
Offline
I Rescue Cockers
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:52 am
Posts: 3084
Location: Westchester, NY
Julie Hydro wrote:
DotInFlorida wrote:
Perfect timing on this thread. I would like to jump in if I may.

Just the other day I spoke with my vet about titers and she wasn't what you would call happy about it, but did say she has a couple of pets that require titers. She warned me that they are VERY expensive compared to the shots. She had one of the vet techs call me back with the cost of titers - there were two. One titer was $160.00 and the other was $170.00 (plus office visit, etc.) I am wondering if everyone is paying those types of prices or if she jacked them up because she is old school and very PRO vaccine.


Yes titer are more expensive than vaccines. Yes I think your vet is jacking them up because she doesn't believe in them. I think I paid around 70 dollars from my vet and I live in a place with relatively high vet expenses. Dr Dodds https://labordatenbank.com/cake/hemopet ... mopet_form offers titers for 42 dollars for Parvo and Distemper. I would expect your vet to charge a blood draw fee and packaging fee, but that's nowhere near 330.00 dollars worth of work.



Those are some kind of prices! I am in Westchester, NY (right outside of NYC) and vet prices here are $$$$. I pay $80.00 per dog for the titers. It may have gone up a smidge this year but I can guarentee they are less than $90.00 per dog. As I said, other than rabies which is mandated by law, I haven't had to give shots since each dog completed their puppy series. I am also happy to pay for the peace of mind which comes from knowing I'm doing best by my pups - not to mention that if I am avoiding a major something caused by over-vaccinating I'm saving money there. I would really hate to think that a vet would jack up prices to try and discourage you from titering though.

_________________
Teddy - 11/11/03
Annie - 2/13/05
Jennie - Gotcha 9/14/11
Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:48 am 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Norhtern Virginia
WOW those are high prices. I live just outside of Washington DC and I think the titer was $75 plus office visit? I have to do rabies every 3 years and the required bortatella (sp) for kenneling but unless the titer comes back saying Lady needs a vaccine. I don't vaccinate her either. I am lucky though my vet is in full support of titers and I have never been given a hassle for my choice. I am in sticker shock with those prices!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:01 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:22 pm
Posts: 1183
Location: NH
I already did the research on prices, labs, etc. I would decide where you would like it sent, print the page from the lab and bring it in to the vet. BTW, the mailers that my vet has from Michigan State cost the vet $15 for an overnite mailer-it takes I think 6 tubes. So I figured to send it to Michigan State would be $15 shipping, $32 for the titer which is parvo, distemper and adeno, for a total of $47 out of the vet's pocket, plus whatever the vet charges for the draw fee. They do not even have to drive it to mail it as Fedex picks up at the office!

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4141&p=49005&hilit=cornell#p49005

Idexx-this is where we sent Callie's, they made an initial error and only tested one and not the other but they did send the second one out for no additional cost, price to me was $90 for parvo and distemper-this included Idexx price and shipping and vet draw fee. However, they sent it out to Colorado and did not test in house.

Cornell-They test in house, fee is $35 for both parvo/distemper, $40 to overnite it, then vet fee to prepare and draw it, so that would be around $90 for both I figured. My vet does not have an account with them.
http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/test/detail ... tcode=CVP1

Michigan State-Similar to Cornell, $32 for parvo/distemper and adeno. They test in house, my vet has an account with them with the discounted overnite envelopes, so that would be probably less than $90 for the 3.
http://animalhealth.msu.edu/Bin/Catalog ... ne&Id=2026

Minnesota-my vet also has an account with them, but they send it out. Also around $35 for both.

Kansas-They charge $16.50 for distemper, and same for parvo, so total would be $33.
https://www.vet.k-state.edu/depts/dmp/s ... s%20-%20SN

Hemopet-$42, but they send it to Antech Lab in NY.
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... ctions.htm

_________________
Callie, Casey & Riley

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:31 pm 
Offline
I Rescued A Cocker!
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:23 am
Posts: 515
Location: Indiana
YEA...Abby & Ava! I'm soo happy for you!


I haven't gotten to the point of needing titers....yet, therefore I have no personal experience. But because of all the information and reading I have done over the past two years on this forum I WILL proceed with them in the future. All my boys will be ready to be tested in two more years. They were each given three year vaccines in 2010.
Thank you, Sandy, soooo much for all your efforts in getting this information to us. My question concerning all these different places to send out to, which ones return the report with number values. If I'm not mistaken, I believe I have read that not all tell you the levels of immunity with number values, some with only pass/fail. Please correct me if I'm off track in my thinking. I want to be totally prepared when it's time to have my boy's tested.
Thank you!

:paw :hp :paw

_________________
Mum to 3 K9's
Sunny...3-7-05 Blk/White rescued Aussie
Lincoln...12-12-08...Blk rescue from Cherished Cockers
Quigley....5-6-09...Blk/White parti


Cocker Spaniels.......a work of he'art'!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:51 pm 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:10 pm
Posts: 6440
I wasn't aware they offer 3 yr shots for anything but rabies. Is this something new? I didn't ask the values because he already told me that diff clinics will read them diff. If my vet says its good to go, then that's all I needed and didn't ask.
Brenda J C wrote:
YEA...Abby & Ava! I'm soo happy for you!


I haven't gotten to the point of needing titers....yet, therefore I have no personal experience. But because of all the information and reading I have done over the past two years on this forum I WILL proceed with them in the future. All my boys will be ready to be tested in two more years. They were each given three year vaccines in 2010.
Thank you, Sandy, soooo much for all your efforts in getting this information to us. My question concerning all these different places to send out to, which ones return the report with number values. If I'm not mistaken, I believe I have read that not all tell you the levels of immunity with number values, some with only pass/fail. Please correct me if I'm off track in my thinking. I want to be totally prepared when it's time to have my boy's tested.
Thank you!

:paw :hp :paw

_________________
Abby (B&W) 3/25/09
Ava (B&T) 3/25/09


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: titers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:08 pm 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:22 pm
Posts: 1183
Location: NH
debbiefive wrote:
I wasn't aware they offer 3 yr shots for anything but rabies. Is this something new? I didn't ask the values because he already told me that diff clinics will read them diff. If my vet says its good to go, then that's all I needed and didn't ask.
Brenda J C wrote:
:paw :hp :paw


Debbie,
I got Nicky (golden/setter X) in 1987, and I remember sometime in his early years the vet telling me that vaccines (DHLPP and rabies) were now safe to give every 3 years instead of every year-that had to be in the early 90's. I also remember being very nervous about not giving it yearly-my has my attitude changed on that one! The 3 yr for both rabies and distemper/parvo combos has been around since then, at least in NH.

I would also ask for the titer paper results-every time a lab or test is done at my vets I get a copy and put it in their file-I want to compare titer levels with my 3 thru the years for future reference for my future dogs. I also have their bloodwork when they were neutered at 6 months for a baseline just in case somewhere down the road there is an issue and I will then have what is normal for them to glance at.

_________________
Callie, Casey & Riley

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
This forum is owned and operated by:  Jim Zimmerlin  
Donations to help pay for our web server costs can be made here