An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Stool tests
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:40 am 
Forum Legend

Does anyone think that the twice a year stool test is excessive? I understand that if your dog is boarded, spends a lot of time in different environments or goes on walks in places where they might pick up parasites, then I understand it is necessary.

but for a dog like cici who is always in the same environment, never boarded, i find it excessive. I think I would know if she had some issues with her digestion or her stool looked off. I'd rather spend my money on titer testing and good food.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Stool tests
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:49 am 
Forum Legend

If she's having no issues, definitely excessive!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks, Darra. I find it so annoying when the vet constantly reminds me for a stool sample every six months. We don't do that for ourselves unless something in our health indicates that we should have it done.

And for her, it always comes back negative. I think I am just fine with reducing it to once every year or even 2 years if she is normal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:08 pm 
Forum Legend

I can't remember when one stool was tested here. I know a woman said if her dog ate the grass at the park her dog got worms as she blamed the rabbits. Watching Dr. Pol he says deer is the problem for worms but that's the Midwest. All I know there's is a problem when a dog eats the grass, like a upset tummy. I can't remember a heart worm test either as their season around here is about four months long and he is never outside that long.

This has been the coldest and wettest two months that I can remember in California. Hope it hit the fleas and ticks population good. We had 18' in the AM for weeks in our backyard damage our citrus trees.

Rain in my backyard from Thanksgiving to January it filled up a 5 gallon Ace hardware bucket. January it filled up another bucket.

Joe

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:23 pm 
Active Forum Member

I only do once a year, sometimes I skip a year, but just because it comes back negative doesn't mean there are no parasites. When I got Snickie at 4 months she had been wormed as a pup, her stool sample at my vet came back negative. She then went for her yearly, and her sample came back negative. I'm not much into giving heartworm meds up here, but when they are young I will use it for a couple years, more for the protection of intestinal parasites. I purchased that year Interceptor and gave it to her. A couple of hours later I had a dog yelping in pain, I called the vet and told him what was going on, to him it sounded like she had parasites that had not been detected on the fecal exam, that were now dying. I knew he was right because about 20 years prior I had rescued a 4 month old cocker mix from the shelter. Brought her to the vet and he said she had worms, and gave her the the pill, failed to tell me what was going to happen a couple hours later, it was awful, a pup screaming and yelping as they were dying.
I know you use heartworm protection down there, I assume that it also takes care of intestinal parasites? I don't think you have to worry to much about it, but I have a neighbor that had her dog on Heart-guard plus, ended up with intestinal parasites, so you never know.

Joe that's a lot of water, one can only hope that they all drowned and got swept away, but I wouldn't count on it. Around here the wet and dampness brings both of them out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:31 pm 
Forum Legend

I forgot, I give Oliver Food Grade DE EARTH in his fresh dog food about every other day. I do it so often I don't realize it, just automatic. I forgot to put that down.

Just a guess as I use it also good for bones an nails.

The Benefits Of Diatomaceous Earth For Dogs

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/be ... aceous-e...

6 Proven Diatomaceous Earth Uses and Benefits - Dr. Axe

Human uses

https://draxe.com/diatomaceous-earth/

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 am 
Forum Legend

Yes, I also use D Earth in her food.