An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Proposed total shut down of the Zim Family Cocker Forum
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:21 pm 
Forum Legend

PS - I'm not sure why, but this thread is not showing up as "active" in the index. Most people are probably missing it, so you may be losing out on some perspectives.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:44 am 
Active Forum Member

While I rarely post, I have followed Jim's forum for some time now and have enjoyed it immensely. It is not only a great way to see great Cocker photos and read great Cocker experiences, it has been an invaluable source of information regarding all things Cocker. It would be a loss if the forum completely disappeared, but I can understand Jim's position, having selflessly put so much time, effort and money into the forum over the years. Facebook is not an option for me, as my understanding is that privacy is virtually nonexistent for its users. With a world rife with cybercrime, and the possibility for innocuous posts to be misused/misinterpreted, I would simply not participate in such an expansion of my internet footprint. Since I am not a regular poster, my absence would be no loss to the community. But I would certainly miss my almost daily visit to the forum to get my "Cocker fix". Yes, the participation has declined. But I still see the forum as a very valuable resource, and I can only hope that Jim will consider all these opinions favorably when making his decision. Regardless of the outcome, I want to thank the Zim family for all they have done for so long--your efforts have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."--Andrew Rooney

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:41 am 
Forum Legend

Jim,

I've watched as the forum dwindled and knew that this day.. this decision would be coming.

Gut reaction .... my stomach dropped. Head reaction .... I understand. Heart reaction ... my heartaches.

Grab some coffee ... I've never been short on words so I'm not starting now LOL.

I've been with this forum for many years now. Like others not as active as I used to be but I still pop on often and still utilize the search feature when needed. As others have said losing access to the information gathered here would be an unfathomable loss. I still remember when the forum crashed... and how painful it was to lose my posts of my search for a puppy and Chessie's early puppyhood.

Losing the information ... unfathomable. But, to me, losing the human element is equally devastating. I knew them only by their dogs and their names but we were drawn together by the love of our pets. I will never meet most of the people who I've developed cyber "relationships" with over the years... but I've laughed and cried, shared joy and excitement as well as grief and fear with this forum. I've followed their journeys ... the ups and downs. I've prayed for them. I've left little pieces of my heart here. There are even more fingerprints and paw prints that are imprinted on my heart. This was a family. Yes, there were times of strife, there were times when I've thought... get a life :goof ... and others I've thought ... What a LIFE! I've seen wonderful saga's played out in front of me by the words that were posted. I ask you to think very carefully about taking away the ability to post. That ability is what keeps life in the community. Being able to post questions and concerns... and to receive answers or just support is priceless.

And that sums up how I feel about this forum..... it's priceless. My sincere and heartfelt thanks for these years Jim. I know it's easy for me to say I'd like this forum to remain as it.. but it's work for you (and your son). I understand and appreciate your hard work and the effort it's taken through the years to keep it up and running. Whatever you decide I will always be grateful for this gift. Thank you!

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:10 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Hi Jim!

I know there have not been a lot of new posts but often that doesn't tell the story. So much is coming back to check in and see what it happening. I do think making it a "read only" is a good solution. While I personally haven't posted here much lately, I still come here at least once a day.

As has been mentioned as well is the difficulty with venues such as Facebook to have ongoing discussion or informative threads. That has been such a large part of the forum.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:09 am 
Active Forum Member

I've not posted much since joining, though have gotten immense value from the experienced owners. If the forum comes to an end, maintaining the archives would be of great benefit to current and future owners. If the forum continues, I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to streamline or simplify it to minimize the upkeep?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:52 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I too am another member that has not been on to post recently. I must admit that I always come and search and look.
I can truly say that I was on here so much when DeeDee got IMHA. I spent hours and it helped so much. Sadly I lost Dee but the info I got here and help from friends that went thru that made a huge difference. I can not imagine being without this resource. I am Facebook member but I can truly say I do not like it. I find it difficult...but this ole girl does not like change very much at all.
The information that the members have collected and past along need to be available to those who are searching.
This is my opinion...
I do so appreciate this forum.
Marsha

owner of
THE SHAVER SHOP INC.
We sell and repair Electric Shavers and Clippers
We have a complete HAND SHARPENING SERVICE
Visit our website to see some of the things we do and carry
www.shavershop.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:09 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

I'm starting to think it would be a mistake to shut down the forum.

Let me ask you your reaction to another possible path forward, that would eliminate a LOT of my frustrations...

What if we just closed it off to new members? Other than accepting no new members, everything else would go on like it is.

What would your reaction to that be?

And also, if you had some friend you knew and you wanted them to be able to join the forum, I could add certain new members. But I would not allow just anyone to join, as we do now.

Would that work?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:01 pm 
Active Forum Member

That works for me.

Thank you Jim!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:18 am 
Active Forum Member

I
just love this forum. Better than Facebook.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:36 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Guess i need to chime in . . . i rarely post but always read the forum and it's the very first place I go when wondering about one health issue or another. I've had cockers for over 40 years and this place is still the best information resource.

At the Bridge
Lil'Bit-Black, Brandy-Buff, Buddy-Blk&Tan, Teddy-Buff
Molly-Black-no longer at the bridge but now in her daddy's lap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:22 am 
Forum Legend

Jim, that would be awesome. The fact that you're willing to consider maintaining this forum at all is extraordinarily thoughtful, considering you're not even "in the business" anymore. I'm sure that none of us realizes the commitment of time and expertise that you've made through the years to maintain this forum for all of us.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:07 am 
Active Forum Member

Amen!

And to make sure I help with the cost of maintaining the forum, I will be careful to always use the Petco and Amazon links going forward.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:49 am 
Forum Legend

Jim Zim wrote:

Let me ask you your reaction to another possible path forward, that would eliminate a LOT of my frustrations...

What if we just closed it off to new members? Other than accepting no new members, everything else would go on like it is.

And also, if you had some friend you knew and you wanted them to be able to join the forum, I could add certain new members. But I would not allow just anyone to join, as we do now.

Would that work?

Yes, Yes, YES!!!! :joy

Colleen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:44 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Jim,

I want to echo the others by saying 'thank you' :joy for all you have done. I understand the reason for your decision. And while I would visit the FB group, this forum has been a wonderful resource for a newbie like me. If things could be archived, that would be great. If it becomes a closed group, that would be fine too. I usually check in a few times a week. And when I lost my 1st cocker about a year ago, reading about how others dealt with the loss really helped me too.

Do whatever you need to do for you. But please know that the posts don't tell the whole story. This forum is a great comfort and wonderful support for many of us silent types :love

Julie

At the Bridge:
Abby Doodle - gotcha 5/17/14 - 11/27/15
The kitties: Miranda (1994-2010), Gabrielle (1994-2010), Mr. Darcy (10/11-10/13), Jasper (10/11-4/16)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:35 pm 
Active Forum Member

Jim Zim wrote:

Would that work?

I would vote a resounding yes, as selfish as that may be!

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."--Andrew Rooney

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:25 pm 
Active Forum Member

I too am guilty of reading and not posting. I visit daily. I have learned so much from the members and old threads I can't imagine not having it. I have been her over 10 years, I said goodbye to one pup in the beginning and received so much help when we got our puppy nine years ago. I would love to see the forum stick around. I love the daily pictures in my Facebook news feed but you can't beat the years of knowledge kept here.
I totally understand your wanting to shut it down, I like the idea of keeping it and not adding new people you don't know.
What ever you decide a big Thanks for doing this for all of us all these years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:18 am 
Active Forum Member

Jim Zim wrote:

Would that work?

That would work for me! So glad you have reconsidered. :joy

Earlier this week I was on the forum for hours, reading old posts, garnering information on titers and vaccinations because my Ruger was due for his annual check-up and booster shots.

Yes, some of that info is out on the internet, but first you have to find it and then you have to sort through it. There is so much valuable information right here, all in one place, that directs us to different websites, etc. as needed.

And while that info is invaluable, it still can't be compared to coming here and asking specific questions of those who have shared similar experiences. It's a little cocker community that I've been so grateful for, and I'd hate for it to disappear. I appreciate it and all your hard work and hope it continues. Thank you so much! :love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:20 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Would that work?

Thank you, Jim! I think this is a great compromise. I appreciate you're hearing us - even when we don't talk much! :joy

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:55 am 
Forum Legend

Jim Zim wrote:

Would that work?

Jim,

While I would feel bad for those who will not be able to become active members they would still be able access the wonderful resources here..... I think this is an excellent option. If it helps alleviate your frustration that makes it an even better solution!

Thank you so much for listening ... you didn't have to.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:17 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

The day that we got Daisy, I googled cocker spaniel forum and there you were and here was I, a total cocker newbee. Well maybe not a total newbee, We had a cocker when I was a kid but I never bathed or cleaned ears or even brushed him. He was my friend, but my Mum's responsibility and my Dad's dog.
I appreciate how much effort goes into this forum. I don't think that there is anything in my life that I love well enough to do what you do for us here. That said, I hope that you don't shut out people who are new. I have only met one other cocker since Daisy came to us so I wouldn't have been able to get a recommendation to join. Admittedly I have little to offer the group and my reasons for coming here are selfish but this place has enhanced our lives.
This site is right below my email in bookmarks so you know it is important to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:18 pm 
Forum Legend

I just saw this post a few days ago and my heart dropped. I have not been very active lately as I don't have any Cockers at this time although I am planning to get one as is about time. There is no words to describe the support and wisdom this forum has offered me from the very beginning I signed up. Is funny hoe I found the forum. Several years ago I was looking on rescues to add another Cocker, when I bumped into Camp Cocker and the Zim forum was mentioned. I cant say thanks enough for all the support when my Holly was sick and on her passing as well as the great relations and friends these forum has offered me. I do understand the reasoning behind shutting it down. Jim thanks so much for this treasure of a forum. Anything you decided will be supported. Thanks again.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:22 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Jim,

I too haven't been on the forum for several months. Everyone seems to get busy at times and then forgets new forum friends. I use Facebook and have sent a join request, so I am assuming that at some point it will show up on my facebook page as one I can go into.

I too have enjoyed the forum, and all the wonderful information I learned from you and many others. We would not have our lovely Diva had it not been for this forum and a dear friend - Marianne England! We are so thankful to have her in our lives -- she has turned out to be the best cocker we have ever had.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:31 pm 
Forum Legend

Jim Zim wrote:

Would that work?

:joy THANK YOU! And if you somehow saved this forum on a CD and sold it, I would buy it! A must-have resource of info, as many have said

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:05 am 
Forum Legend

Hi everyone!

I'm also guilty of not posting as often as I used to. But I do stop by once in a while to read everyone's updates, search for specific posts on grooming or health issues, and look at pictures of gorgeous cocker spaniels. I'm also a member of the Facebook group.

I'd love for the forum to stay open but I understand and support any decision you make, Jim.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:31 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

I am the person who started the Facebook group many years ago. My intent was not to replace this forum. I am no longer an admin in the FB group even though I started it. I voluntarily stepped down as an admin after receiving a very nasty, threatening letter in the mail that was sent by a forum member.

I am sorry if some people don't like the Facebook group. I don't get on the forum or the Facebook group much any more unless I am looking for info. When my Brownie tore her ACL, I found helpful info on this forum and I would hate to lose this resource.

Most days, I am just too busy with my seven cockers and my fundraising for cocker rescue.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

The furkids:
Blackie, Brandon, Beezus, Brownie, Bridget, Brandy Jo

Waiting at the Bridge:

Brittany 1994-2005
Barkley 1996-2007
Bubba 1994-2008
Buffie 1998-2010
Braggs 2002-2015
Blondie 2002-2017
Betsy 2005-2017