An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: At a loss as what to do with vet error
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

We have a 3-1/2 year old boy, Reese, who has had issues in the past with UTIs. We had him neutered and his umbilical hernia fixed when he was 8 months old by a vet In the same practice that we have been going to for years.

Reese just has not been himself and was having lots of potty accidents so back to our normal vet for another check, she was feeling his stomach and noticed a mass. Suggested taking him to Medvet here in Columbus for an ultrasound. That was done the week before Thanksgiving and the also aspirated the mass and concluded that it was a lipoma. He had also had a full blood work done and that came up with the issue of dilute urine.

We had the lipoma removed yesterday and much to my dismay this vet the did his neuter called and wanted to talk. Said that the other vet who we usually see and she is the one who did this surgery... No lipoma but they found where they left a surgical sponge in his belly that had been there since his neuter 3 years ago.

Further conversation with the vet saying that we could either pay for the procedure that was done yesterday ($650) or they could refund the fees paid to Medvet ($550). Told the vet that we should not be charged for either one but he did not agree.

I went to pick him up tonight and they still tried to charge me for the procedure. I feel that I really need to pursue this further but am not sure what my next step should be.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also I am looking for a new vet.

Robin and Reese

Post subject: Re: At a loss as what to do with vet error
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:51 pm 
Forum Legend

This is so incredibly sad and unfortunate. I am sorry Reese has had to suffer so much. My suggestion is that you take your case to a small claims court. You do not need to hire a lawyer for this. Small claims court is a way to recover all the costs you have already incurred as a result of this serious error. Just have all your facts and invoices and dates ready.

I wish Reese good health and hope you can find another vet soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:10 am 
Active Forum Member

Sad thing is that he could have gotten septic poisoning and died. We are just so very lucky that this did not happen.

We have a friend who is a nurse practioner and also works heavily in resue and she suggests that we report this to the state vet board for investigation.

I also work work a law firm and am going to talk to one of our attorneys about the best way to proceed. I just need to calm down and work with a clear mind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:23 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Holy Smokes! That said, I would certainly not pay for the surgery and would report them to the State vetinary board as well. Frankly I would see about recouping what you paid for the neutering as well since their negligence may well have contributed to his ongoing urinary issues (I doubt that could be proven well enough to get back what you paid out for those so getting back the neutering cost may be all you can do there).

Personally the attitude is what most sets me on edge. Let's face it, people are human and stuff happens and, while it was obviously negligence on their part, had it been me being so careless, I'd have been apologizing like crazy NOT asking for how you intend to finance something.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:30 am 
Forum Legend

I agree with Vickie about the attitude. Mistakes do happen and I don't know what his record is with other patients, but if you do wish to pursue this legally, you certainly have a strong case. I would be livid if they kept asking me for money after admitting to such a huge error.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:53 am 
Forum Legend

Simple...small claims, if they insist you owe anything, then report them, and find a new vet practice. I'd never step foot in that place again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:57 am 
Forum Legend

Small claims usually make it into the local news paper and they don't like that kind of news to get out!

Joe