An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Hair Loss
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

Buddy had surgery to remove a growth on his left hind leg a year ago. Under general anethsia . A month later a 4-8" patch of hair on his back has failed to grow. Vet says" anethesia not at fault" I don't believe him. Groomer thinks it was. Vet has done extensive blood work 8 mos ago and 2 weeks ago.$850.Everything is normal. Now he wants to sedate him for a skin biopsy $500-600. Any thoughts ? as I'm inclined to not sedate him again. His coat was beautiful before the surgery. he's 5 yrs ols and weighs 31 lbs. Very happy and active. He's a tennis ball chasing athelete. Dan

Post subject: Re: Hair Loss
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:36 pm 
Forum Legend

Strange indeed. Does he itch?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:50 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Maybe get a second opinion from another vet.
Bring the blood work results & records with you, so 2nd vet can review records.

A few things for you to look for:

Could the skin patch be caused by a flea allergy? Fleas are very bad right now, mild winters didn't kill off bugs this winter. And many of the topical flea treatments, like Frontline, are not as effective as in the past.

Or possibly a food allergy? Many cockers have an allergy to corn, wheat or soy. Check his food ingredients; are there grains in his food, or in his treats?

One of my cockers has a slight sensitivity to the grass in the spring. Seems that the grasses give off spores or pollens during the spring growing season.

Just some suggestions.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks- we use combo guard for flea control. Same food for 3 years with no problem prior to the surgery. No scratching or itching. have actually had 2 vets look at bloodwork. I believe the hair loss was from the anesthisia . am looking for a cure. He's getting melatonin 5mg twice a day + salmon oil + Missing Link food supplement without improvement. I thought it might be Telogen Effluvium. But, that self resolves in 1-3 mos. This condition seems permanent. it's been over a year. ??????????

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:40 am 
Active Forum Member

Can take 24 months so I read after surgery. Wouldn't spend any more money if everything else is ok.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:14 pm 
Forum Legend

If you really want to find an answer, maybe you should see a dermatologist. If he does have an allergy to food, environment, or "something" that's who can diagnose exactly what it is. I don't think I'd be comfortable sedating him again if you think the initial problem was the anesthesia - at least until you determine if he IS allergic to something. I'm assuming they checked specifically for thyroid? That is usually a separate test - not included in general bloodwork - but hair loss could be a thyroid issue.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks- yes 2 of the blood tests included thyroid function which is normal. Am cosulting another vet on 5/11. was referred by an employee from Petco who has had many dogs with him. When i told her about Buddys hair loss her first responce was the anesthesia from the surgery as a strong suspect. Since the only change in his 5 yrs of life was that event a month prior to his hair not growing properly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:56 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Has the thyroid been checked?

Mum to Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel), Skye (English Cocker Spaniel) and Blake (Saluki Lurcher). RIP Troy and Dylan!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:47 pm 
Active Forum Member

I know you said they checked thyroid but with what we are going through with one of our rescue dogs l have to ask. Did they do a full thyroid panel or just TSH? Marley came to rescue in a mess. I posted pics of his hair loss on another thread. His TSH was in the normal range but his free T3 and free T4 were severely low. If they did not test the full panel you might want to request it to be sure. Marley is beautiful now. His little tail was bald and was the first place I saw hair starting to grow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:21 pm 
Active Forum Member

He's had 2 "complete" Thyroid panels since Oct 2014 at a cost of $850 both were normal values. Vet put him on 5mg of melatonin. He's on Missing link coat supplement for 2 mos. and has been on fish oil for 3 yrs. since starting on melatonin there is some new hair growth.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:30 am 
Active Forum Member

dgpoppe@aol.com wrote:
He's had 2 "complete" Thyroid panels since Oct 2014 at a cost of $850 both were normal values. Vet put him on 5mg of melatonin. He's on Missing link coat supplement for 2 mos. and has been on fish oil for 3 yrs. since starting on melatonin there is some new hair growth.

My advice is stop the fish oils, due to vitamin E deficiency. Maybe supplement vitamin E.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:56 pm 
Forum Legend

CANDIDA IN DOGS - Chinaroad Lowchens of Australia ***

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/candida.htm

Just something to look into.

In dogs and humans, patients at highest risk are those who have taken antibiotics, which destroy the beneficial bacteria that normally keep Candida albicans from taking over. But the body's ecology can be disrupted by environmental conditions, diet, stress, chemotherapy drugs, steroids, and other medications as well.

KEEPING CANDIDA IN CHECK
Like all yeasts, Candida thrives on sugars, including those from grains, starches, and other carbohydrates. Beneficial bacteria (such as Lactobacillus acidophilus) metabolises sugars, which keeps Candida in check by disrupting its food supply. A shortage of beneficial bacteria results in a sugar-rich environment and an abundance of Candida albicans.

Once a Candida overgrowth occurs, it becomes a vicious cycle. Candida cells overwhelm whatever beneficial bacteria survive in the digestive tract or are introduced as supplements, and a diet high in carbohydrates keeps the Candida population strong and in control.

In 1983, William G. Crook, MD, published The Yeast Connection, the first of many books linking candidiasis, chronic health problems, and a high-carbohydrate diet. Since then, hundreds of anti-Candida diets, drugs, herbal products, and nutritional supplements have become weapons in the war against Candida albicans.

Canine nutritional consultant Linda Arndt of Albany, Indiana, has studied Candida for years, and her checklist of conditions linked to the organism's overgrowth is lengthy (see "Yeast Symptoms Checklist", page 14).

Candida is a formidable enemy, she explains, because its cells manufacture toxic chemicals that kill beneficial bacteria and harm the body. Candida's waste products include toxic alcohols, acetone, and the nerve poison hydrogen sulfide, all of which slow the brain, contribute to fatigue, and disrupt the immune system.

Candida symptoms are often misdiagnosed as allergies, says Arndt, manifesting as rashes or skin outbreaks on the feet, face, underarm, underbelly, or genital areas. Recurring hot spots or infections of the ears, eyes, bladder, or urinary tract can be caused by Candida overgrowth.

“These conditions can be accompanied by a secondary infection, which is what gets treated,’ she says, “but the underlying cause is rarely addressed by conventional medicine. In addition to fatigue, lethargy, immobility, joint pain, and discomfort, all of which can be caused by yeast toxins, the infected patient may experience severe itching, which leads to endless biting, chewing, and hair loss. The dog's skin can turn black, become dry and flaky, or develop a greasy grit on the surface, and wherever Candida takes over, a bad yeasty smell can develop.’

Treatment with antibiotics, steroids, and other conventional drugs may bring temporary relief, but the patient soon returns with another flare-up, and symptoms progress until the veterinarian suggests allergy testing.

“The results tell you the dog is allergic to everything from dust mites to tuna and lima beans,’ says Arndt. “But that's not where the problem lies. Many so-called allergy cases are nothing more than misdiagnosed systemic yeast infections from Candida overgrowth.’

According to holistic physician Bruce Fife, ND, the Candida organism is especially insidious because it changes form. “If left unchallenged", he says, "candida converts from a single-celled form into a multi-celled or mycelial fungal form with hairy, root-like projections called rhizoids. These rhizoids penetrate the intestinal wall, which affects the intestines´ ability to absorb vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and fatty acids, leading to nutritional deficiencies and leaky gut syndrome".

Bee´s Note: The leaky gut syndrome is a theory, and it is not true - see: Leaky Gut Theory Cannot Be True and related articles on allergies, the antibody theory, etc.

Even without an overgrowth of Candida albicans, a disruption of the body's supply of beneficial bacteria poses problems. As described in “Probing Probiotics" (Whole Dog Journal August 2006), beneficial bacteria form a first line of defence against pathogens; help prevent antibiotic-associated diarrhoea, traveller's diarrhoea, and leaky gut syndrome; improve lactose tolerance; produce vitamins and enzymes; decrease toxins and mutagenic reactions; improve carbohydrate and protein usage; strengthen innate immunity; create a protective barrier effect in the intestinal tract; and help reduce food sensitivities and skin disorders.

It's definitely worth helping your dog become a poor host for Candida albicans and, instead, become a nurturing host for beneficial bacteria. Natural remedies for candidiasis.

Any starch helps the flare ups, that means kibble.

Finish reading:
Symptoms of Candida Yeast Infection in Dogs ***

http://www.vetinfo.com/symptoms-of-c... SORRY THIS LINK DOESN'T WORK, TRY this Symptoms of Candida Yeast Infection in Dogs ***

Candida yeast infection in dogs, also known as candidiasis, is a treatable medical condition.Effects, Signs and Symptoms of Candida in Dogs.

Not a Vet not a doctor but well read with question to ask, WHY!

Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_X1I1GJ1Q

At 13:30 blood test.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:59 pm 
Active Forum Member

Glad your vet ran the complete thyroid panel. A friend of mine thought her vet had done a complete panel on her Rottie. Later she found out he only ran the TSH. Her dog was still having problems so she had to test again for the complete answer. She still has not found the answer for her dog.