The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's up with Jennie?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:28 am 
Forum Legend

Does Jennie have a favorite toy she can carry? one she really really loves! If you can teach her to carry one she can't eat cig butts with a toy in her mouth! Zoey did that a baby but thankfully outgrew her "taste" for them. If not how about a gentle leader? you can close her mouth (hopefully) before she can grab a butt. Or wear a muzzle at least untill she is trustworthy with the butts.

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:27 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I would also try to address with the police why there are so many cig butts on the ground, especially by the school! That is littering and a fine and also a fire hazard with some of the droughts we are having in parts of the country. I will see an occ butt on the ground when I am out, and I live in Cow Hampshire where there are many smokers in my town.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:19 am 
Forum Legend

Susan:

I feel your pain!! But with Emma it's worms, acorns, crepe myrtle buds, ANY bug (ewww) and really anything she can snatch and swallow. Most of the time, she, too, will "drop it." But she's also learned to stay far enough away from me in the yard while she's chewing her prize that I can't grab her. I have used a leash AND muzzle on her in our yard and on walks in the past, but I especially hate to do that when it's hot outside, so I just keep reinforcing the "drop it" or trade her for something better. The problem with us is she can't have any treats except for her kibble - nothing - and something a worm is much more appetizing than a tiny piece of her kibble.

We don't have any food guarding, thank goodness, but I agree that taking the butt from her mouth is probably making her wary. Can you go back to hand feeding her a little bit - and maybe throwing something REALLY good in there (a tiny piece of hot dog if she can have it, or a little cube of cheese) that she will only associate withh your hand? I wouldn't know how else to break her of guarding her food.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'm going to try having her carry her favorite pink bunny toy on our next walk. Today she clearly didn't feel good, ate very little breakfast and didn't want to go for her walk, so I let her veg around the house for the morning and this afternoon she is much more herself. When doing poop patrol, I found evidence of a cigarette butt in this mornings contribution. I thought I had gotten them all yesterday, but clearly not.

I hate to give her too many treats since she is still a puppy and may miss out on proper balanced nutrition. She already has me trained to give her a yummy treat to get rocks away from her. She encounters far more butts than rocks, so the amount of treats that she gets that way is pretty small. I've mostly used kibble as her treats in the past and she will give up some things for them, but not cigarette butts! I found some freeze dried raw diet that I can carry in my pocket and break into small pieces. She will usually give up a cigarette butt for that, but sometimes she prefers to swallow the butt and then expects to get the treat anyway.

I have a Gentle Leader and used it until she was reliable at not pulling. I don't think it will stop her from picking up a butt but it might give me more control to stop her from reaching one, so I'll give it a try.

I'll let you know how it goes. I already feel more confident about how to handle this.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:09 pm 
Active Forum Member

Well it's been an interesting week and I have some progress to report.

First, the bad news. Jennie will not carry a toy on our walk. As soon as the door opens, she drops whatever she had in her mouth. So I just focus on watching the ground in front of her to steer her away from any dangers. She did manage to pick up a few butts that I missed, but she dropped them all on command. Whew!

I talked to a behaviorist about the food guarding and she gave me a plan. First, I need to pick up her dish as soon as she walks away after eating. That way she doesn't have anything to guard. Then, I don't put her entire meal in her dish... I just put in one handful at a time. She has learned that the handfuls will keep coming as long as she keeps eating, so she is getting about the same amount in total. It's slower, but if it helps to make her more secure, it's worth it. So far, it has worked great. Eventually I'll be able to make the amounts a bit bigger, but I'll probably always have to remove the dish as soon as she's done.

Knock on wood... so far, so good!

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:14 am 
Active Forum Member

Things are going really well with Jennie. She is getting very good at dropping any cigarette butts that she finds and then sitting and waiting for a yummy treat. She hasn't actually swallowed a cigarette butt since my last post, thank goodness!

I decided she is getting reliable enough for a doggie door, so I got a patio panel. I'm not going to install it permanently, as I don't want to drill holes in my sliding door frame, so I got one that stays put with tension and then I just take it out at night and lock the door. That is working good for me, and Jennie LOVES the door. She has been in and out at least 20 times this morning and comes romping back in to me with licks and frolics. She was a little hesitant at first, so I used my hand to show her that the flap would move. Now she uses her foot to break the magnetic seal at the bottom of the door and then goes through. What a little smartie! Here she is coming in:

Attachment:
IMG_20150120_103346_846-1 (525x700).jpg
IMG_20150120_103346_846-1 (525x700).jpg [ 184.97 KiB | Viewed 3875 times ]

The food guarding has completely stopped, so I do think it was due to me taking the cigarette butts out of her mouth. I've been really careful to not do that at all and to have my family members use the 'drop it' command for when she steals their napkins at the table or toilet paper when they leave the bathroom door open. She's not reliable at giving up her favorite paper products, but we're working on it.

She's also looking much better now that her hair has grown out a bit. She has been 13 1/2 inches at the withers and 19.4 pounds for the past three weeks, so I'm thinking she is pretty much done growing. She's a bit too big to fit on my lap, so she just lays across it when we sit on the couch together. She makes a great lap warmer for our colder winter nights. :hp

Hope everyone is enjoying a happy new year!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:39 pm 
Active Forum Member

I know this is going to sound funny, but Bubba just LOVES celery. She did not always like it, but
after she had it for a few days, she gained a real liking of it. During her gall bladder issue, she could not have anything other than the restricted dry diet, but they released her yesterday to go
back to her old diet, so now she can have her celery and apples (not pits of course!) - she will really like that. You may want to try the celery.

At the Rainbow Bridge:
Bubba's Magic Chamise Ann Louise 09/08
Chamise Ann Louise 01/97

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:42 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Jennie likes apple and the center part of a broccoli stock. She won't eat it unless I peel it and she won't eat the blossoms. I've tried green beans and carrots but she just turns up her nose.

All our dogs have had such individual taste. Our little Cairn Terrier mix Punkin loved little baby carrots and would sit and cry if she so much as saw the bag. And my first Cocker, Honey, loved green beans. Go figure!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:26 am 
Active Forum Member

Spring has arrived here in western Washington and Jennie is having fun exploring the new growth in the back yard. Unfortunately, this has included playing with a few spring bulbs and dandelion flowers. The day before yesterday, she evidently ate something that she shouldn't have. She ate next to nothing that night for dinner and very little yesterday morning as well. She didn't throw up, but she seemed uncomfortable. Then yesterday about noon she was pacing and moaning by the front door, so I asked her if she wanted to take a walk. She did! We got about a half a block from home and she pooped... very soft and it had a small pit in it. It's about the size of a cherry pit, but softer and not the same shape. I think it may have been the center of a bulb... maybe crocus? I know they can cause vomiting and diarrhea but I haven't found any evidence of her digging in the area where they are planted.

She seemed better after that and I cooked some rice and beef for her dinner. She ate that just fine and has been her usual happy self this morning.

But that wasn't the end of her rough day. I put her in the house while I searched the yard, but it was a nice sunny day so I only closed the screen door to let some fresh air in. I'm guessing that a breeze blew a packing slip onto the floor. Well, there are few things Jennie loves more than paper, so she took it into the living room and had a field day with it. When I came back inside, she ran to meet me at the back door with the return label stuck to the bottom of her front foot! I tried to gently pull it off, but she was having none of that. So I ran about an inch of warm water in the bathtub and in she went. She had fun splashing me and trying to keep me from touching her feet, but I got most of it off. This morning she came for a cuddle and I got the few remaining bits off.

What a little goof she is! :gig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:46 am 
Active Forum Member

:raz She is funny your Jennie. Her birthday is coming soon!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

I can't believe she is going to be a year old soon. It's flown by!

She has the funniest personality of any dog I've ever met. And she is a real cuddler. This morning she came and sat on my lap for over an hour. I finally had to pick her up and ease my way out from underneath her just so I could get a second cup of coffee. She just settled into the warm spot I left and took a nap. :gig

Lately she's picked up a new trick... she is a pick-pocket! If she can tell there is something in a jacket pocket, she will put her whole face in there to find out what it is. Heaven help you if it is a tissue... it will be hers! My mom as lost quite a few to her already.

She still hasn't met a person or dog that she doesn't like. And she is getting along great with my brother's cat. They both like to play laser chase and they take turns. Jennie gets to run the length of the house, jumping to a chair at either end. Then Rascal gets to bat at the red dot on the wall for a few minutes while Jennie watches him. It's a hoot!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

I have been considering changing groomers and had talked to a friend who has a beautiful Cavalier King Charles Spaniel about hers. She absolutely loves them and wholeheartedly recommended them. They are right here in my town, within walking distance from my home. I stopped in one day to see them and they were booked out 6 weeks, so I made an appointment toward the end of April. Well, they called this morning and said they had a cancellation and I could get Jennie in today if I wanted to. I did! We walked over and I left her with them at 12:30. They called at 2:30 to tell me it was slow going because of lots of small mats under her front legs, inside her rear legs and on her chest. We ended up doing a much more extensive cut than we had originally talked about, but when I picked her up she looked gorgeous! She was sporting a little fleece bandana and some green fluffy ear jewels. The bandana is already off, but I'm not sure how to remove the ear jewels without pulling her hair. :TWag

I love the way she looks with the legs fluffy and everything else short. Hopefully it won't be this short most of the time. I'm going to have to be more diligent at finding mats when they are just starting. I'd like to keep her about 1/2" long in the body and keep the legs as they are here.

Here she is... I can't believe how much slimmer she looks!

Attachment:
IMG_20150328_171341_776 (443x700).jpg
IMG_20150328_171341_776 (443x700).jpg [ 280.32 KiB | Viewed 3675 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20150328_171425_984 (700x535).jpg
IMG_20150328_171425_984 (700x535).jpg [ 238.15 KiB | Viewed 3675 times ]

I give it a :10 ... what do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:05 am 
Active Forum Member

:wow

She looks beautiful!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:23 pm 
Active Forum Member

We had an exciting week (not in a good way) last week and I wanted to share what I have learned.

I started giving Jennie Milk Bone Brushing Chews at the end of February to supplement actually brushing her teeth. She's pretty good about it but I felt I wasn't getting the back teeth very well and hoped the chews would help with that. Since they were endorsed by the Veterinary Oral Health Council, I assumed they would be okay to use. She got one every few days at first to be sure she tolerated them well and then I started giving her one every night.

Sunday morning before last, she threw up yellow bile. Monday morning, it was yellow bile and one piece of something that looked like a nut. I stopped all treats and just gave her the usual dog food for the day. She ate about half the normal amount. I had noticed that she was eating less for the past month or so but thought it was because she is pretty much full grown and I hadn't transitioned her to adult food yet. I scheduled an appointment at my vets for Friday and just kept a close eye on her. She seemed normal except for eating less.

She was pretty good Tuesday except she wasn't very interested in food or water. Wednesday morning about 7 AM she threw up undigested dog food. Since she had last eaten 13 hours before, that was a red flag. She was shivering and just wanted to be held, so I sat with her on my lap until the vets office opened. They squeezed me in at 2:00. Jennie was running a fever, had blood work, a fecal, IV fluids, antibiotics and fasted for the rest of the day. Then she started on Hills I/D Thursday morning... 1/4 can per meal. That afternoon I got the result of the tests and they were pretty much all normal except she was mildly dehydrated. My vet felt that she had eaten something that disagreed with her, but since all her tests were okay it wasn't anything toxic.

On Friday I started adding back in some of her regular kibble. Once I did, she started to poop... and I got a shock. Her stools were filled with little bits of the stuff that looked like nuts and suddenly I realized that it was brushing chew! She must have been a bit blocked up, because she pooped A LOT over the next two days, far more than you would expect from what she ate. Each time it had bits of chew in it. The things had not been digested at all. I started googling and found lots of complaints about these chews making small dogs sick. The symptoms they described were pretty much what happened with Jennie. I'm just lucky that she chews her food really well. All the bits were smaller than a grain of rice.

We continued with the prescription diet mixed with her regular food until today. The last time I saw any chew in her poop was on Sunday. That was 6 days after she got the last chew... amazing. She has been her usual happy little self the last few days and her appetite is back with vengence.

I contacted Milk Bone and reported what had happened. They sent me an email and are mailing me a questionnaire for me to complete and one to ask my vet to complete. You can bet I will follow through on this.

In the meantime, I've thrown away the Brushing Chews and will try to do a better job on her molars when I brush them by hand. Lesson learned!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:26 am 
Forum Legend

OMG! I give these to Zoey as her morning snack as we usually feed her dinner. I'm so glad Jennie is ok!! I guess I will have to find another treat for her snack. We do feed raw(pre made) at night and she guards most bones that last more than a few minutes so I will have to research some more.

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

I'm glad Jennie is alright, Susan. Poor girl must have been uncomfortable. I've never given Sperry those chewable brushes and now I won't. So scary! Hope your girl is up to her mischief soon. I LOLed at your pickpocketer.
:neen
Barrett & Sperry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:23 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Susan T.,
This is Sharon in Oregon. I haven't been online much as we are traveling in our RV for a few months. Your Jennie is beautiful. Our first cocker was a buff also and I had problems with matting too and learned to have them shave her at least in her front armpits and that seemed to help alot. I have so enjoyed reading about Jennie and seeing all her beautiful pictures.

Our Diva is a spoiled 5 yr. old who has had double cataract surgery and MMM which I have posted somewhere on the forum as to what exactly it was. She thank heavens is doing fine now, but is on a no fat diet due to an over abundance of treats when playing ball with her "dad". He now uses her kibble and it seems to be doing fine.

I wanted to let you know about something a friend introduced me too while we were in Las Vegas for your babys teeth - my friend gave one to Diva while we were visiting and I have never seen her stay that interested in anything except her ball, but she loves :hp this toy. I ordered mine online - chewy.com. with some rawhide rings and sweet potatoe rings. It is called a "Busy Bone" and my friend said when her Vet saw how much it helped clean her dogs teeth she also ordered some for her dogs. :dk

When I have it in my hand she is sitting up on her hind legs begging for it. It has two toothbrushes, some rubber rings and two nyla bone ends. And she will work on chewing on it all evening. I have actually had to take it away and then she's standing up going "where did it go?" :tg I am still brushing her teeth, but this really seems to be helping alot.

This is the only thing she gets "treat wise" other than her kibble as she is on Royal Canin gastrointestinal food for "low fat". I think Jennie will probably like it. I only give Diva hers every other day as I don't want her eating to much of it all the time and loosing interest. :lol2

Keep up your posts on your baby, she is quite beautiful and we all enjoy hearing about everyones furbabies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:02 am 
Active Forum Member

I'll have to find one and see if she likes it. She hasn't liked the hard bones like Nylabone in the past. She prefers to chew on rope toys, plush toys, wash cloths and socks. She's a gentle chewer... she still has a little pink bunny that I bought her when she was a tiny puppy. I take it away to clean it every now and then and I have to leave it where she can see it until I give it back to her. :gig

She is completely back to normal now, but I'm still feeling guilty that I didn't realize what was going on sooner.

My new groomer said she has some owners who keep their pups entire under side shaved. I forget what she called it, but she said if you let the skirt grow you can't tell the chest and tummy are short unless they lay on their back. I like the way Jennie looks with her body short and her legs fluffy, so I'll probably keep her that way and let the body go a little longer in the winter. We start every morning on the couch with a metal comb and I work out any mats that I find in her ears and her legs. It's our bonding time and we both love it.

I hope Diva is enjoying your travels. Jennie loves to ride in the car as long as she can stick her head out the window. I have a car harness for her so she can't get too far out... just far enough to have her ears flying!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:31 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Susan,

Diva didn't like the Nylabones either unless they were one you could eat! :lol2 But with the raw hide and sweet potatoe rings that you put on with the rubber and toothbrushs it seems to draw her to it and she will work to get the treat off with brushing her teeth at the same time. Sometimes she will work for hours on it, so I do watch to make sure that her gums aren't red or any bleeding. Diva also chews very softly, but when she is working for that treat its amazing. I can reach down and take it from her and put it up and she will have her nose in the air hunting for it until I give it back, so I try to plan when she has several hours to play with it.

I keep Diva cut in what they call a "kennel (puppy) cut" so her tummy is shaved and clean with this cocker back and short feathers on sides and legs. She looks very much like Jennie's cut. With living in Oregon and all the rain it is easier to keep her shorter and like every cocker I know she hates the rain and getting her feet wet. :tg We even removed part of our grass and layed gravel where she will go do her duty and still have dry feet. Silly dog, what we do for our furbabies :goof

Diva loves traveling in the motorhome and when we are packing to leave she won't come out of it unless we carry her. She has brought us alot of joy just like your Jennie, enjoy your baby.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:45 am 
Active Forum Member

Jennie turns one year old today! My little puppy is all grown up. :cry

She slept in until 9:00 this morning, so I guess her age is showing. :gig No big plans, just a nice day at home with mom. She chose her own birthday present yesterday at Grandma's. She stole a little catnip filled fish from my mom's cat Rascal and carried it around in her mouth the rest of the day. At dinner time, she laid it carefully next to her bowl while she ate and then picked it right back up again. Right now she is curled up on her bed with it under her chin. When I tried to sneak in for a close up she growled at me! Do you suppose dogs like catnip too?

I met her for the first time when she was 2 weeks old and she came home at 8 weeks, so we have lots of milestones to celebrate for the next 2 months.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:58 pm 
Forum Legend

:bday :cake Happy Birthday cutie pie. Hey, whatever toy works for you. :lol2

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:25 am 
Forum Legend

Happy birthday Jennie! :bday

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:47 pm 
Active Forum Member

Here we are at the end of May... the flowers are blooming and it hit 80 degrees this week. Jennie LOVES it. I put out her pool and she has had fun splashing in it and running through the sprinkler... or at least drinking from the sprinkler! Which brings me to my latest Jennie update...

As you may remember, I had found a new groomer for her and was happy with her cut. But when I picked her up, they mentioned that she had growled at them when they were working on her legs and she kept trying to take their tools away from them. They wanted me to work on getting her to understand that their brush was not hers to take, and they were concerned about the growling. Personally, I would rather a dog growl to let me know they aren't happy than just go straight to bite, but I understand their concern.

I had scheduled a follow up appointment, but when the time came I just didn't feel good about it. The only time Jennie has ever seriously growled at me was when I was working on a stubborn mat. So I figured I would just make sure that she had NO mats when the time came for her appointment. Well, it seems like she started a major shedding the week before... mats galore! I ended up cancelling the appointment and decided to go back to learning to groom her myself.

I made three investments... a good slicker brush, a dematting tool and a Wahl Bravura. OMG... what a revelation the Wahl is! So quiet and so sharp! I'm still using my Andis for her body as I have a 4FC blade on it, but the Wahl makes doing her face so much easier. So... here's my best effort to date:

Attachment:
IMG_20150530_161631_386 (525x700).jpg
IMG_20150530_161631_386 (525x700).jpg [ 240.05 KiB | Viewed 3472 times ]

You may notice that I shortened her ears so she doesn't come in from the pool or the sprinkler with sopping wet ears. And you can really see the 'sable' coloring around her eyes. Now I just need to get brave and do her head. I've been afraid to try it until I'm sure I understand the settings on the Wahl 5 in 1 blade. I THINK that the 1 setting is the shortest and the 5 setting is the longest... right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:37 pm 
Active Forum Member

Jennie and I live in Marysville, WA... right next door the the Tulalip Indian Reservation and their famous Boom City. Needless to say, fireworks are a major concern for dog owners in my neighborhood. All my family dogs have been scared to death of fireworks. Our Collie, Lady, would try to find a small, sheltered place to hide. One year we learned the hard way that Collie's do not fit behind toilets. :gig

We just finished the hottest June on record in our area with almost no rain for the entire month. Our lawns look more like late August than June and the wildfire danger is very high. We have a state-wide outdoor burn ban, but did that stop the pyrotechnic worshippers? Not on your life!

I planned for the evening carefully... closed the windows, pulled the shades, closed the curtains, turned on a light in every room, put the Eagles on the stereo and waited...

Jennie thought it was all very strange. We usually spend the cool evening on the front porch. She kept going to the front door and asking to go out. I finally decided to take a chance, so I opened the door and let her out, then took my usual seat on the bench. There were fireworks going off in every direction. Jennie did her business then jumped up on the bench beside me and settled in to watch! She barked at a few of the louder booms, but other than that she just seemed interesting. I could NOT believe it. But I am grateful! :YAY Then again, she is a little gun dog, right?

I hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:18 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Mine looked totally bored by all the racket. I've never had a cocker that was bothered by fireworks. Love these little 'sporting' dogs. My daughters' golden on the other hand was a quivering mass of jello. Go figure.

At the Bridge
Lil'Bit-Black, Brandy-Buff, Buddy-Blk&Tan, Teddy-Buff
Molly-Black-no longer at the bridge but now in her daddy's lap

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next