An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: What's up with Jennie?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:19 pm 
Active Forum Member

I decided to start this thread over here instead of in the Caring for your Cocker section since I'm mostly posting updates at this point (thank goodness!)

Jennie was 6 months old on the 24th and is changing so fast I can't keep up. She is about 12" tall and getting longer rather than taller right now. She weighed 15.6 pounds yesterday. PuppyChart.com estimates she will be 17.8 pounds at full growth, so it will be interesting to see if that turns out to be true.

Here are a few shots of Jennie with some of her favorite toys... some of which didn't start out as toys at all!

At three months, Jennie was fascinated with plant pots... round or square, she had a ball with them until she ran into a tree or tried to get up the steps with one in her mouth. It's hard to see with a plant pot on your nose!

Attachment:
Jennie with a plant pot.JPG
Jennie with a plant pot.JPG [ 45.96 KiB | Viewed 6922 times ]

This is an A&W Root Beer bottle with dry kibble inside. She loves the sound it makes as she chases it along the floor. She growls and barks at it, sometimes while holding it in her mouth.

Attachment:
Jennie with her bottle.JPG
Jennie with her bottle.JPG [ 51.36 KiB | Viewed 6922 times ]

Being a Cocker, she likes ropes and tennis balls. A toy that has both is a winner!

Attachment:
Jennie with ropieball.JPG
Jennie with ropieball.JPG [ 59.57 KiB | Viewed 6922 times ]

She graduated to sleeping on the bed once she was healed up from her spay surgery. It's a tall bed, so she still needs help getting in and out...

Attachment:
Jennie peeking over the bed.JPG
Jennie peeking over the bed.JPG [ 12.98 KiB | Viewed 6922 times ]

And here she is looking all grown up... it seemed to happen so fast! She's a little hairy, but will be getting groomed next week. She actually likes the blow dryer, so if she is wet when she comes back from our walk, she gets her feet rinsed in the tub and then a blow dry. We had just finished when this picture was taken.

Attachment:
Jennie 10 31.JPG
Jennie 10 31.JPG [ 81.02 KiB | Viewed 6922 times ]

She's made life so much fun, I can't imagine being without her!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Post subject: Re: What's up with Jennie?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:48 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

What a darling little girl! Thanks for sharing the "update" on Jennie. Her selection of toys is interesting but it looks like she really enjoys them. Jennie is beautiful! Please keep the updates coming, with pictures!! :love

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

That's great she gets to be on the bed!! My cocker is a little one also and I bought those steps that can be used to assist older dogs up on furniture. I trained Bubba when she was just a pup so now she thinks nothing of using them even though she does not yet have to. They can be found easily online. :gig

At the Rainbow Bridge:
Bubba's Magic Chamise Ann Louise 09/08
Chamise Ann Louise 01/97

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:08 pm 
Active Forum Member

Jennie is sure a cutie. :hp !!! Our pack sleeps on the bed with us too. We put an ottoman by the side of the bed for them to use. I was concerned not so much with the jumping on the bed, but the impact on their front legs and joints when they jumped off. I used a clicker and treats to get them to use it and most of the time they do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:29 am 
Forum Legend

My Sophie loves her little queeky toys, then a ball, but she loves an empty water bottle!!!
If you are drinking water she will sit and stare at it and cry and cry for it. My Sophie is 2 and weighs 16.5 so she is smaller also. For our bed we use a ramp that hubby built for our senior cocker, Lasey, when she was alive. Lasey lived to be almost 18 years, two months shy, and still loved to sleep with us so when she couldn't do the stairs anymore we built a ramp. It works great for Sophie!
Your Jennie is just adorable, please give us updates again! :wv

The time, long or short, that we have with our fur babies - it is never enough.
Waiting at the Rainbow bridge for us:
Lasey, my shadow for 2 months shy of 18 years
and Lily - 9 years old. We miss you both so much

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:26 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

She's adorable!

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:59 pm 
Forum Legend

She's growing into a pretty lady

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:23 am 
Forum Legend

I LOVE HER!!! My next cocker will hopefully be a little buff girl. Emma is 4 and is only 17.5 pounds so she's tiny, too, but it's the perfect size for wagging her along with me wherever I need to go.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:37 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks for the suggestions on ways for her to get on and off the bed by herself. I have a car booster seat that she has outgrown, so I tried parking it next to the bed. She used it once to get up, but when she tried to get down she actually tipped it over and and landed kind of hard, so now she gives it a wide berth. Being a little smartie, she figured out she could get up in the armchair, then onto the bedside table and walk across it to the bed! Of course, I don't want to encourage that, so now the booster seat is in the armchair!

I'm looking into either steps or a ramp as the best solution.

Here's Jennie watching her favorite movie star...

Attachment:
Jennie watching Lassie (224x300).jpg
Jennie watching Lassie (224x300).jpg [ 71.79 KiB | Viewed 6684 times ]

Have a great week!

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:48 pm 
Forum Legend

Jennie is so cute. Something small for them to jump onto, to get off the bed, can be more dangerous than nothing, or has been my finding. My girls have missed and tumbled that way too :shock: . Steps, ramp, or a larger surface item is needed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hey Susan T in Washington state, this is from Susan C in WA state. Love those buff Cockers, Jennie is pretty cute. Grady is 6 1/2 mo old, 15" at the shoulder and 19 lbs. He NEVER misses a meal!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

I love the little buffs too. My aunt had two when I was a child...brother and sister, Tuffy and Taffy.

My cousin brought her little black girl Gracie down from Anacortes today and we took her and Jennie to my groomer. Here they are playing in my yard after their spa day... I had a hard time getting a shot with both of them still!

Gracie is a rescue, about 4 years old. Jennie just turned 6 month old on the 24th so our little ones are about the same age. Jennie's mom and dad were both on the small side, so I won't be surprised if she is too. Today the groomer showed us a little 3 month old black and tan boy who is only about 4 pounds. He is going to be super small. But he sure is cute! I may get tempted to add another one at some point, but I think I'll wait until Jennie is all grown up.

I wasn't crazy about the way her forehead was cut before... it looked a bit schnauzery to me... I think she looks much better cut smooth. Now I can see her little white kissie spot much better. :HoHo Gracie's forehead is cut the old way.

Attachment:
Gracie and Jennie say goodbye.JPG
Gracie and Jennie say goodbye.JPG [ 34.98 KiB | Viewed 6545 times ]

And here is Jennie sound asleep after Gracie went home. She slept for 2 hours! I think she had a good time chasing Gracie around. I'm not sure Gracie enjoyed it as much!

Attachment:
Jennie pooped after Gracie left.jpg
Jennie pooped after Gracie left.jpg [ 85.33 KiB | Viewed 6545 times ]

After her nap she ate a good dinner and now she's down for the count again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:34 am 
Forum Legend

Jennie looks great in her new haircut. Gracie is a cutie.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

In two days Jennie will be 7 months old. Sometimes I can't believe how fast it has gone and other times I feel like I've always had her. My brother helped me measure her and she is 13.25 inches at the shoulder and weighed 17.4 pounds on Thursday.

We walk 2.5 miles each morning and she has a crush on a Boxer named Indy that we pass twice on the walk. This morning he was looking very dapper in a sweater so I took their pictures. :luv

Attachment:
IMG_20141122_114104_833 (525x700).jpg
IMG_20141122_114104_833 (525x700).jpg [ 315.68 KiB | Viewed 6337 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20141122_111027_955 (525x700).jpg
IMG_20141122_111027_955 (525x700).jpg [ 322.52 KiB | Viewed 6337 times ]

Our cold weather has moderated. It was about 45 this morning instead of 25, so hopefully we'll be sending a little warming to our friends in the east. :bg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:16 pm 
Active Forum Member

Today the weather was good enough to get out and rake the leaves in the back yard. Jennie was SUPER helpful... she did quality control checks on the rake and my gloves and made sure those leaf piles stayed just where I put them. I don't know how I could have done it without her!

Attachment:
DSC00270 (700x525).jpg
DSC00270 (700x525).jpg [ 349.71 KiB | Viewed 6275 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:22 pm 
Forum Legend

A doll!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:04 pm 
Active Forum Member

I love the details of her life. Jennie is a sweetie pie. xxx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:28 pm 
Active Forum Member

We had our first snow the night before last, so Jennie woke up to a very different back yard. She loved it! She ate so much snow I was afraid she would get hypothermia, but she didn't. It was very wet snow and it was quite crunchy by the time we got up, so she treated it like the ice cubes I put in her bowl in the summer.

Tonight I showed her the video I took and she barked and barked at my phone. Silly puppy!

I don't know how to share the video, but tomorrow I'll see if I can pull any still images off. It's off to bed for us both now... we hosted a late Thanksgiving dinner today for my friends and family who had to work the holiday, so she is one pooped pup.

Hope everyone had a great Holiday and weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:48 am 
Active Forum Member

My video skills need a lot of work. It turned out I had the phone upside down! But here are two snips of Jennie and her first snow.

Attachment:
Jennie eating snow.JPG
Jennie eating snow.JPG [ 41.21 KiB | Viewed 6049 times ]

Attachment:
Jennie in the snow.JPG
Jennie in the snow.JPG [ 39.92 KiB | Viewed 6049 times ]

She really enjoyed it but she can't stay out too long as it has been cold. It was 15 degrees yesterday morning and 18 this morning. Nothing compared to the midwest, but really cold for us. I have a heated birdbath and a seed feeder, so the yard has been full of little birds for the last three days. Jennie usually ignores them, but for some reason she keeps chasing the larger birds away. Starlings, morning doves and blue jays are not allowed in her yard. :TWag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:05 pm 
Forum Legend

what a cute girl. My cocker girls weren't snow lovers. My Pom mixed loved it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:24 am 
I Own A Zim Dog!

What a little doll!! :love

“A dog wags his tail with his heart!”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:44 pm 
Active Forum Member

This morning I came into the living room and noticed Jennie in her car booster seat beneath the window. But it took me a few minutes to identify which body parts I was seeing. She is such a little goofy girl sometimes! :love

Attachment:
IMG_20141210_093449_473 (700x639).jpg
IMG_20141210_093449_473 (700x639).jpg [ 240.05 KiB | Viewed 5883 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:52 pm 
Forum Legend

LOL...what a position

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:18 pm 
Active Forum Member

Jennie turned 8 months old on Christmas Eve and is getting to be more fun every day. We walk between 2.5 and 3 miles every morning and if I haven't started getting ready by 10:00, she starts trying to get my attention. Her latest method is to go outside and bring in a small rock. She then starts dropping it on the nearest hard surface, so I hear the sound of it and come to investigate. She then sits with it in her mouth and waits for me to offer her a yummy treat in exchange. If I don't cave, she takes it to her bed, lays down with it under her chin and gives me her best "I'm disappointed in you" look. If I still don't respond, she will grump every once and a while. The only thing that will get her up is to either cave in and give her a yummy treat, or start getting ready to walk. Silly puppy!

One problem that has developed is her taste for cigarette butts... yuck! She likes best them after the paper has worn off and they have been laying on the ground for a few weeks. On the one hand, that probably means some of the nicotine has washed away but it also means they may have picked up gas, oil, antifreeze or other bad substances. Most of the time she will 'drop it' and 'leave it', but every once and while she will actually swallow one.

So here's the issue: I have reached in and removed one a couple of times when she refused to drop it. Now she is starting to exhibit some food guarding behaviours that have me concerned. She will sit or stand with her head low over her dish and do a low growl when anyone walks too close. She's even done it to me. I hand fed her as a baby and I still add yummy bits to her bowl occasionally, so hoped I had headed this off, but I'm wondering if my removing cigarette butts from her mouth has undone all the other work. Any thoughts?

I have tried to offer her a yummy treat in place of the cigarette butt, but that just made her swallow it and then come for the treat. I know how bad nicotine is for dogs and I've noticed that when she has swallowed one she gets the shakes. My vet has given me instructions on what to do when this happens and I've been able to nurse her through it, but of course she doesn't connect the butt in the morning with feeling sick in the afternoon. I counted up one day on our walk and stopped when we had encountered 750 cigarette butts within leash range, so trying to avoid them is not an option. Even on our grade school playground we encounter one about every 8 steps!

I'm trying to decide how to prioritize these issues. I'm thinking I should continue to use the drop it/leave it for the cigarette butts and not try to remove them from her mouth for a while. If her food guarding stops, I'll then have to figure out how to combat the cigarette butt eating another way. If her food guarding doesn't stop, I know a good behaviourist that I can consult to help me deal with both issues.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Any advice will be much appreciated, as always!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:54 am 
Forum Legend

Oh My! What a dilemma! If you really can't avoid the cigarette butts, I think I might muzzle her... eating those will take a toll on her body over time, even though she seems to recover from each episode.

The other thing to do would be to train her to keep her eyes and attention on you. Handlers for the show ring will put a treat under a rubber band on their upper arm, and the dog will learn to keep their attention there for more treats. That's not a very relaxed way to walk, but this extreme hazard seems to need an extreme solution.

I've never had an issue with a dog and cigarette butts, but we did have an issue with gum wrappers, that sometimes had gum in them- Very brisk walking and constant "leave it!"

I think you are correct that she has decided to guard her food because of you taking butts out of her mouth, so it is doubly important to end the butt eating opportunities.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love