The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Citronella bark collars work well on husbands too!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:24 am 
OMG I was laughing so hard yesterday I was nearly crying. Toph and Sokka have gotten in a bad habit of barking whenever we pull into the shop's carport. It started when a client was there early walking dogs, but now it's become habit even if someone is not there. They are also really bad if they are in a store parking lot barking at people. Sokka already had a remote collar for some stalking behavior towards Pirate, but I got one for Toph that sprays on 'hearing' the bark.

Toph is a dog who loves to 'hug' you. She'll jump on your lap and wrap her paws around your neck and lick lick lick. She did that to Mike on the way home yesterday and Mike having his face right in her neck said (or started to) OH TOPH *he was going to say you're such a lovebug* (psssst citronella spraying) WTH?! He got sprayed right in the face.

Lesson learned, when not in use, turn the collar off.

Post subject: Re: Citronella bark collars work well on husbands too!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:49 am 
Forum Legend

Oh ick, that couldn't have been fun! =P But hey, for all of those who say such collars are cruel, you can say you have tried it for yourself and things were just fine!

Has the Citronella bark collar worked for you? I considered buying one for my cocker Oliver a while back, but many of the reviews of the product weren't very favorable...there seemed to be a consensus that the dog gets used to it after a bit and goes back to old tricks. Oliver gets a little whiny when he has to spend a few hours alone, and the apartment neighbors really LOOOOVE that. Anyway, I just thought I'd get your perspective Julie :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:19 am 
Active Forum Member

:ROFL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:28 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I use the citronella bark collar on our sheltie who thinks she has to bark if so much as a leaf drops on the deck and when she gets going she gets the other two to follow. When she has the bark collar on she does not make a sound as she hates the smell of it when it goes off. Now all we have to do is show her the collar and she is quiet. If she isn't quiet after a couple times of being told shush the collar goes on for about an hour and then its taken back off and she remembers what happens if she isnt being good.
SOOOOOO For us its a good thing with good results and it doesn't have to be put on very often now.

TUCKER Black Cocker 10-15-99 to 01-06-2010 We Miss you big boy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:44 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I fully endorse the citronella collars. They don't hurt the dog like the 'shock' collars and it doesn't take long before they get the idea to stop barking. Our Buddy use to have a very loud WOOF but with the collar on he quickly learned only to go woof. Our Muffy has a very high pitched bark which is quite annoying when she gets going she gets the collar on and the barking ends. We now tell her to knock it off or we will get the 'collar of shame'. She even understands what that means.

At the Bridge
Lil'Bit-Black, Brandy-Buff, Buddy-Blk&Tan, Teddy-Buff
Molly-Black-no longer at the bridge but now in her daddy's lap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:11 am 
Forum Legend

This is good to know! I'm going to let Fred read it. I believe in warnings before actions :evil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:42 am 
Forum Legend

What an endorsement! I am going to get 2...if it keeps them quiet in the truck, in parking lots it will be well worth it...when I get looks like....who keeps rabid dogs lady???? And "Oh look mommy, the lady and and the tramp dog is doing its CUJO imitation."

[color=#4000FF]Molly, Kelly, Sassy, Champ, Julie, Sugar and Miss Kitty waiting for me at the Bridge.
Currently mom to:
Cassie the Parti-Sable girl
Hailey the Red, Field coated Spaniel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:08 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I think I will get a couple of these collars as well. We have the "let's all bark when people walk by the car" thing going on here as well. And somehow, no one believes us when we say the dogs are friendly when they are barking like maniacs, duh!

Also, Our Cooper is going to have the privilege of wearing one around the house. He is now 4 years old and been stalking our 10+ year old Louie on occasion. If this will help to discourage and eliminate that behavior, that would be wonderful.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:33 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Michelle Olsen wrote:
What an endorsement! I am going to get 2...if it keeps them quiet in the truck, in parking lots it will be well worth it...when I get looks like....who keeps rabid dogs lady???? And "Oh look mommy, the lady and and the tramp dog is doing its CUJO imitation."

OMG I was ROFL about this...Cujo...LOL!! I thought I was the only one that had dogs like this! Angel barks when leaf falls outside, if you get up, if you say the words here, there, home etc. Drives me up the wall but the worst is when she is with her pack of three and sees another dog...she goes bonkers barking and I can so see the Cujo comment fitting her to a T!! If she is by herself she is afraid of other dogs. Does anyone think that one of these collars would work for her...she gets sooo worked up when she sees another dog then it gets the other two barking too. She is a timid dog by herself and more submissive...does a collar like this work on a dog like this? Would definately give it a try if I thought it would work and wouldn't scare the bejesus out of her!

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:05 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thank you everyone!
I am definitely going to share everyone's comments about over the top barking dogs with my hubby. He thinks our dogs are the only ones who do the crazy "lets all bark together" thing!

Hummm, on second thought, maybe I won't let hubby see Julie's comment about the citronella collar working for hubbies as well. :gig

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:18 pm 
Forum Legend

I must be very lucky. Abby almost never barks and Ava doesNOT bark period we won't talk about my pom mutt
Girl :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:25 pm 
Marianne E wrote:
Thank you everyone!
I am definitely going to share everyone's comments about over the top barking dogs with my hubby. He thinks our dogs are the only ones who do the crazy "lets all bark together" thing!

Hummm, on second thought, maybe I won't let hubby see Julie's comment about the citronella collar working for hubbies as well. :gig

We'll start you a new thread :wnk

I love both collars. The remote works extremely well for Sokka's behaviors. Since Toph only has issues in the parking lots, the one that works on the microphone is great. My biggest concern was if the other dogs barking would set it off and the dog wearing the collar would be sprayed unfairly, but it seems to be pretty sensitive to only the dog who wears it (or the daddy petting her).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:29 pm 
Active Forum Member

We got one of these for Tango when we were camping (or traveling) in the motorhome as he would bark at activity around - especially if we were not there. He would jump up on the dash and tell everyone in the campground that he was boss. He actually seemed to like the smell so it was ineffective for him. However, Petsmart did take it back and gave us a full refund. Odie doesn't bark so he was no problem.

Felines - Jessie & Mariah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:03 pm 
Forum Legend

:ROFL :ROFL :ROFL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:49 am 
Forum Legend

My neighbor next door uses it on her jack Russell if he gets going with good results. If it works on husbands it could work on loud obnoxious children :evil

Austin Red/Buff October 21, 2009 -
"Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity." Mark Twain [color=#8000BF]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:03 am 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

if you get the collar made by the Premier company (link in my post here: http://dogbreedz.blogspot.com/2012/01/p ... wness.html ) they have great customer service - so if you ever have a problem with the collar, they are right there for you - and if you get it at petsmart/petco, as someone already said, if the collar doesn't work for your dog, they are right there for the return.

I've had about 98% success - Indie will give me the stink eye when I pull it out (I actually have to get off my rear and send mine to Premier for an exchange, it's stopped spraying and the regular fixes to that - new battery or completely emptying the canister and refilling) just aren't working. Usually just showing it to her does the trick. Bennett is my sensitive boy - the first time his went off I thought he was going to have a heart attack (but I laughed SO hard!). I can put an empty one on him and he'll act like I superglued his mouth shut, he hates the spray :gig

One of my fosters, Domino, would see the collar in my hand and would just sit there, humiliated that he had to wear it ... he never caught on (like another of my fosters) that he could run away from me and make it harder for the collar to be put on :wnk

I've had one foster - can't remember which one - that the collar absolutely did NOT work for ... he'd bark right thru the spray until the collar emptied out.

I recommend training with it first and waiting until the dog understands before allowing them to wear it unsupervised. And remember to turn it off/take it off when in a situation when it is OK for the dog to bark.

Barking is one of the hardest behaviors to train out of a dog - the act itself of the bark is satisfying (kind of like how laughing is satisfying to us)!

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:36 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Julie gives such good recommendations :joy This collar really worked for me :joy

My older foster was going crazy when the landscaping guys were here. Not just the first 2 minutes, but the entire 20-30 minutes they are working on the lawn. :shock:

Based on the comments, I bought the collar. I let my dogs go crazy for 2 minutes and then brought out the collar. It didn't take long for the lesson. The next week I did the same thing. This week the dogs barked for less than 2 minutes and then suddenly silence :YAY :evil

Thank you everyone for the recommendations :nw

PS I haven't tried it on my boyfriend :ROFL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:30 am 
Active Forum Member

I think I will pick one up too. Max really isn't THAT bad, but when camping, if I leave the campsite to even just through something out across the street, he barks! It is weird, it is the only time he shows that kind of separation anxiety!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:58 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Not sure if it would work for a separation anxiety issue. My dogs don't bark when I leave. It may do more harm than good. I only used the collar for the limited lesson regarding extended barking (past 2 minutes) on the landscapers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

Well, Max barks at the wind in the trees, the snow flakes.... The neighbors in the back (which bothers me the most... I personally hate when people let their dogs bark forever while outside) I don't know if is it separation anxiety or 'where are you going??' I can leave him tied up out side and go in the trailer and he will not make a peep, but if he sees me walk away, he yelps/barks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Haven't tried a collar, but I know when I used to squirt Henry with a gentle spray, he hated it so much that soon I only had to show him the bottle for him to stop whatever it was he was doing! I wonder if it would work on impatient yappers - Ellie & Hetty like to give a single yap if they think I have been upstairs too long and they should be let out of the kitchen - just a single one, but it goes on... and on... and on..... :bang Lottie just yodels!

Spaniels are the best dogs!!