An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Introduction, kudos and questions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:12 am 
Active Forum Member

Hello everybody! First of all, I'd like to introduce myself..my name is Denise, I am a dognut as my user name implies and have had dogs in my life since I was a child.

Finding this forum has been a God send to me. I have been thinking of adding to my pack o' mutts (all mine are mixed breed) and it has actually been this forum, with the many questions and many, many kind responses from Cocker owners out there that helped my decision to be owned by a Cocker!

I don't have him or her yet but am on a waiting list. This brings me to my question. I have a male (neutered) Greater Swiss/Lab mix, a female (spayed), mix of all mixes rescue/foster and a female (also spayed) Bichon/Yorkie mix. They all get along beautifully, never a squabble over food, beds, toys, attention...anything. (Well, the foster did growl at the cat once when he tried to put his head her in bowl but just that once). In searching for a pup, I had been certain that it was a male that I needed because of the two females. But, without any alpha (other than myself), would one gender be recommended over another in this situtation?

Lastly, I want to take the time to thank you all for this forum...every question, every entry I have read (and I've been reading constantly now for days) is always answered and I haven't come across anything 'mean spirited'. Some breed specific forums definitely can't boast that.

Thanks again,
Denise

Post subject: Re: Introduction, kudos and questions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:37 am 
Forum Legend

Welcome, Denise. :hi

Wow, you have done a lot of reading! I am a one-pet kind of person, so I won't be able to answer your questions about male/female, but I think that if you are looking for a puppy, be certain that it does not leave the breeder before 8 weeks of age and that you continue to socialize it with the rest of the pack.

Can't wait to see pictures. You can post the rest of the pack too, you know. :gig

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:57 am 
Forum Legend

Hi Denise :wv

Welcome to the forum! My name is Lisa and I have a 4 year old tri colored named Chesapeake.

I've never had more than one dog at a time so I can't help you with those questions. But feel free to post any other questions and if I'm able to help I'll give it a try. :happy In the meantime, enjoy reading there is a ton of information here!

Chesapeake OA, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

Competing in Excellent Agility STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's
Competing in Master Agility JWW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks, Terry & Lisa...I've been on the forum reading ALL day again, lol!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:30 pm 
Recommended Breeder

Are you planning on neutering your cocker? That sometimes creates different dynamics. I have multiple cockers. My neutered male is the most laid back of the 4 dogs. However, he does rule the pack... I call him the "benevolent dictator." He is always watching the others' behavior and if he thinks that they have broken doggy etiquette rules, he schools them. The other 3 are intact as they are conformation show dogs-- 2 girls and 1 boy. The intact boy is still a puppy (11mos) and gets along with everyone. If there are any issues, it occurs between the 2 bitches. I have heard from many other breeders that most often 2 intact bitches have difficulty getting along to varying degrees. At my house, it's minor tiffs, but I have heard of situations where blood has been drawn.

If I was in your situation, I would go with a male puppy with the plan to neuter at an appropriate age. I also know of someone who rescued an older neutered male cocker and was successfully able to integrate him into her multi-dog home.

Good luck, in your search for your new family member.

Gale

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:00 pm 
Active Forum Member

Okay, I only have the one cocker but at one time was manager of a 5 dog pack including one hell-bent-for-leather terrier and a large shepherd mix. Later, When I first got Ollie my cocker , I had a female older terrier, but still very much an alpha female. I was put on the spot 4 years after acquiring Ollie, of rescuing another female terrier mix or letting her be put down as the owners just didn't have a clue how to handle a very dominant part Jack Russell. I had many misgivings over bringing the younger terrier female into a household with an older alpha female. I decided to try it. Within minutes the newcomer (approx. 1 yr old and fairly small terrier) attempted to mount the older female Irish terrier that was established matriarch in the house. Luckily the gal I'd had for years knew exactly how far I would let her go. She threw the newcomer on her back 4 times and stood over her growling. There were NO wounds and no big blow up. My gal knew I was the real person in charge. The newcomer settled in nicely within days once the rules were established and I showed her I was really in charge. This young gal had NEVER had any rules. She had never worn a collar or leash and had several bad habits.. (Shredding things, mouthy, marking etc.) She got a collar day one and learned within 30 minutes that certain portions of the house were off limits. She knew sit and come for a treat by the end of the day. I tried hard to make her crate a pleasant place. Anyway, the main key of having many same sex dogs is making sure you are the leader and make clear rules. How many rules are needed depends on the personalities of the dogs/bitches involved. For my dominant terriers: each dog had a spot they are fed and they are fed in the same order. When leashed each dog has a spot (right or left, outside or inside.) When leaving no dog precedes me outside or going in. No dog gets lap time without an invitation up. Instructions are clearly delivered in a command voice (not a yell, but an "I mean business tone"). There are plenty of games and any dust ups were seldom. My older terrier has since passed on. The younger is now alpha. Ollie, my male, neutered cocker has always been a follower. He is a real sweetie but he is mostly blind (a rescue with progressive retinol atrophy). While the young terrier bullies him, he would be lost without her. He follows her in the yard and depends on tips from her about where things are. In return, his nose is better than hers. He alerts her if there is wildlife close by (we live rurally). I will caution you that sometimes there are bitches that will not happily coexist in the same household. Much, however, I think depends on the owner making an effort to be IN CHARGE but in a consistent firm and friendly way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:04 pm 
Active Forum Member

I really appreciate the responses.

You've heard the expression 'you can't see the forest for the trees'? It totally applies here, I think.

I will be neutering the pup at the appropriate age, just as my others have been. The altering, combined with alpha me...I believe has been the answer all along! Thanks again

Denise (Dognut)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:38 pm 
Forum Legend

The responses have been spot-on. I would only add one point, and it's not regarding temperament. If you have a male cocker, and want to keep the coat longer, be prepared for "tummy washes". Male cockers will sometimes dribble onto their leg or tummy after urinating, and the longer the hair the more likely it is to occur.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:43 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks, Darra, yet another good point! And more food for thought. I'm not at all sure at this point if I will want to keep him in a longer coat or not but I do know I won't want pee in the bed with me. Eww! :lol2