An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Seeking any feed back
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:22 am 
Active Forum Member

I have a 9 1/2 week old pup, when I got her she was had separation anxiety and on the first days while leaving her alone or trying to get her to crate she would yelp, whine and eventually when I would go check on her she was shaking and trembling that I decided to have her sleep on my bed at the bottom hoping time would fix the separation issue. (Have a pheromone collar on her)
Now it has improved some but I can not leave her alone even blocked off in the kitchen with out her whining, crying, yelping As well her play is very rough, growling and biting beyond the acceptable nibbles of a teething puppy. She can be so sweet with the licks and one minute bent for hell, I am on my 3rd dog 2nd Cocker and even after hours of U tube videos I have no idea how to deal with this.
All input appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Seeking any feed back
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:14 am 
Forum Legend

Before I say anything else, I FEEL YOUR PAIN! Shortly after I adopted my own adorable little Cocker puppy, I too found myself dealing with the worst separation anxiety EVER. You can find a link to my forum post about it here: http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... =35&t=5333

Here's a direct quote from that post:

Quote:
As soon as he's placed in his puppy room, he begins YELPING, SCREAMING, BARKING, GROWLING...anything to get out. I don't want to give him attention and let him out, because I think it will only encourage his whining...but he carries on LOUDLY for ages...I've read other forum posts that said he should calm down after 5-10 minutes of whining...but we're talking this pup goes on for an HOUR.

I share this simply to say, it DOES get better. Oliver is nearly four now and thankfully in a much healthier spot. :wnk

The best advice I can provide is to gradually build up the time you leave her alone. Remember, she's still a baby. Try to give her two minutes of alone time, and then return and act completely normal. You want her to understand that your absences aren't permanent, and causing a big scene whenever you come find her can make her believe she SHOULD be panicked when you're apart.

As for the roughhousing, again, she's a baby. How old was she when she was taken from her litter mates? A puppy should never leave Mom and her siblings before eight weeks, and many breeders prefer to keep them a few weeks longer yet, simply to teach them how to play nicely. We're well past that point now, so focus on diverting her attention with a fun toy if she tries to get mouthy. She'll be teething for a bit and probably wants something to chomp on.

If she DOES bite you and growl, you need to put a stop to it and show her that her behavior ends play time. My favorite tip is to yelp LOUDLY if she makes contact with you—the idea is to show her she caused pain, much like another dog would make a sharp yelping sound. Turn your back and immediately stop playing or interacting with her. She'll get the idea—roughhouse play = no play at all.

Good luck! This is the time you get to really invest into her, so that you'll enjoy a happy, healthy adult dog down the road. Make sure she's getting plenty of socialization, and consider puppy kindergarten classes if you're not already doing so. These can be incredibly beneficial, as they'll equip you with some simple tools for handling her, while also teaching her how to appropriately interact with other dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:23 am 
Active Forum Member

Adam wrote:
Before I say anything else, I FEEL YOUR PAIN! Shortly after I adopted my own adorable little Cocker puppy, I too found myself dealing with the worst separation anxiety EVER. You can find a link to my forum post about it here: http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... =35&t=5333

Here's a direct quote from that post:

Quote:
As soon as he's placed in his puppy room, he begins YELPING, SCREAMING, BARKING, GROWLING...anything to get out. I don't want to give him attention and let him out, because I think it will only encourage his whining...but he carries on LOUDLY for ages...I've read other forum posts that said he should calm down after 5-10 minutes of whining...but we're talking this pup goes on for an HOUR.

I share this simply to say, it DOES get better. Oliver is nearly four now and thankfully in a much healthier spot. :wnk

The best advice I can provide is to gradually build up the time you leave her alone. Remember, she's still a baby. Try to give her two minutes of alone time, and then return and act completely normal. You want her to understand that your absences aren't permanent, and causing a big scene whenever you come find her can make her believe she SHOULD be panicked when you're apart.

As for the roughhousing, again, she's a baby. How old was she when she was taken from her litter mates? A puppy should never leave Mom and her siblings before eight weeks, and many breeders prefer to keep them a few weeks longer yet, simply to teach them how to play nicely. We're well past that point now, so focus on diverting her attention with a fun toy if she tries to get mouthy. She'll be teething for a bit and probably wants something to chomp on.

If she DOES bite you and growl, you need to put a stop to it and show her that her behavior ends play time. My favorite tip is to yelp LOUDLY if she makes contact with you—the idea is to show her she caused pain, much like another dog would make a sharp yelping sound. Turn your back and immediately stop playing or interacting with her. She'll get the idea—roughhouse play = no play at all.

Good luck! This is the time you get to really invest into her, so that you'll enjoy a happy, healthy adult dog down the road. Make sure she's getting plenty of socialization, and consider puppy kindergarten classes if you're not already doing so. These can be incredibly beneficial, as they'll equip you with some simple tools for handling her, while also teaching her how to appropriately interact with other dogs.

I appreciate the thoughts and will try them out, the yelp for me has not worked, not sure if it's my deep voice or what. She was only 7 weeks owners lied when I got the vet information file her shots and DOB were different then the sales contract. I have never rehomed a pup before 10 weeks it makes a difference.
I had to put my 14 year old male down 10 months ago and it killed me, got her and was finally happy again, then all this and I'm thinking did I get a psychotic dog that's going to be a battle every day. Can not yet do classes must have her next booster in 3 weeks and the dog park you don't know about other dogs having health issues to pass on to a young pup so my vet advised no park until later. She is also scared to go in the car so even going to the park for a walk is a task.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:56 am 
Active Forum Member

You got very good advice above. For the separation anxiety I would also recommend googling BAT (behavior adjustment training) and reading up on that. The important thing as was noted above is to start very, very slowly and then build up to when she can be left alone for longer periods of time. Start off really really small. like if she hates her crate, throw a treat in it (or near it) and let her eat it and come back out. Do that multiple times a day for a few weeks. Then you can either throw the treat further into the back of the crate or stand in front of it for just a split second so she has to stay in there and build time with that. Then you can work on closing the door for just a second and increase time as she gets more comfortable.

Separation anxiety and puppies with no bite inhibition are a pain, so I sympathize with what you're going through but you can get through it :)

http://www.dfwcockerrescue.org

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi! I can't offer any advice about separation anxiety but we just got a puppy last year -- we'll have had her for one year next week!! She was a MONSTER for the first 2 months and a Beast for the next 2 months. After her last baby teeth fell out, she began to settle down. At a year old she has turned into a wonderful, loving and gentle dog -- most of the time! Hang in there. The first several months are just painful. If you are consistent with your training and stop playing whenever your pup gets too rough, you'll make it to the other side. Be patient. It's hard but you've got an amazing friend waiting on the other side of puppyhood!

Shawn

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:57 am 
Active Forum Member

MShawn wrote:
Hi! I can't offer any advice about separation anxiety but we just got a puppy last year -- we'll have had her for one year next week!! She was a MONSTER for the first 2 months and a Beast for the next 2 months. After her last baby teeth fell out, she began to settle down. At a year old she has turned into a wonderful, loving and gentle dog -- most of the time! Hang in there. The first several months are just painful. If you are consistent with your training and stop playing whenever your pup gets too rough, you'll make it to the other side. Be patient. It's hard but you've got an amazing friend waiting on the other side of puppyhood!

Shawn

Thanks for that, appreciate all the input a update below.
[color=#0000FF][/So have not got to far, been frustrating for sure. Have followed Zak George with his training videos, seem to make sense, From day one always made sure if I was touching her I was doing all of her so she would be comfortable with me touching any part of her. The biting/ growling/ running around like a crazy dog has not stopped or more accurate when it starts it's an hour or more before there is calm.
Last night got ready to have her as I have been on the foot of my bed but could not get any peace she was just biting growling, leaping and after removing her down stairs to a the puppy proofed kitchen/living room and 3 times giving her a chance to calm down and get the no bite instructions given her I had to put her in the area where she spends the day and just leave her there last night. Some whining at times but not what I expected. Though when I came to see her and feed her in the morning she in a few minutes got rough and so not the start I wanted. She has never drawn blood when biting but has pierced the skin some times the scratching causes the worst marks. Got 4 more weeks off from work to improve things so any thing you can think of would be welcomed. color] The photo is my lil princess lol :bang

Attachments:
$v_27.jpg
$v_27.jpg [ 44.94 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:30 am 
Forum Legend

Darrell:

Welcome to the forum! Your puppy is completely adorable. At this stage, consistency is KEY to establishing order in your home. Have you tried a crate for her to sleep in? You can put it right next to your bed with one of your old T-shirts so you can reach in and comfort her if she acts up, but it will give her some security to know that is HER place. Only good things should happen in and around the crate while training. Throw little pieces of food in there and let her retrieve it. You can also feed her in it. I think too much freedom too soon can cause anxiety because they don't feel secure, plus the breeder let her go a little too soon.

Check out the training section, too. There are all sorts of helpful tips in there from people who have "been there, done that." I would also check out the resource that Holly mentioned, as Holly has GREAT success with rescued pups.

Please give it some time and be consistent with your training and I'm sure things will eventually turn around for you. They are little hellions as puppies, but SO WORTH IT once they pass that stage. I have an almost 5 y/o who still thinks and acts like she is a 9 week old puppy - but I love that about her. She's spunky and fun (even though the naughtiest dog I have EVER had, LOL).

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:20 am 
Active Forum Member

TinaP wrote:
Darrell:

Welcome to the forum! Your puppy is completely adorable. At this stage, consistency is KEY to establishing order in your home. Have you tried a crate for her to sleep in? You can put it right next to your bed with one of your old T-shirts so you can reach in and comfort her if she acts up, but it will give her some security to know that is HER place. Only good things should happen in and around the crate while training. Throw little pieces of food in there and let her retrieve it. You can also feed her in it. I think too much freedom too soon can cause anxiety because they don't feel secure, plus the breeder let her go a little too soon.

Check out the training section, too. There are all sorts of helpful tips in there from people who have "been there, done that." I would also check out the resource that Holly mentioned, as Holly has GREAT success with rescued pups.

Please give it some time and be consistent with your training and I'm sure things will eventually turn around for you. They are little hellions as puppies, but SO WORTH IT once they pass that stage. I have an almost 5 y/o who still thinks and acts like she is a 9 week old puppy - but I love that about her. She's spunky and fun (even though the naughtiest dog I have EVER had, LOL).

Been working on the crate, finally got her to even spend a few seconds in for a small treat, so won't work now at nights, the crate is going to be down stairs where it is, being on a 2 story I don't want her upstairs but found the first few nights it was the only way to get her to be quiet once the other behavior started it has been a battle to keep her calm enough.
Wish I could find something she enjoyed chewing for her teeth, but no luck there. The only thing she has liked was a pigs ear but was warned not to give them to her, she hates everything else of course. :luvACS

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:41 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi Sadie - welcome! Your girl is adorable, she looks like a parti, great color.
Our buff baby Sperry is 9 months old. He was a chewer. He loved frozen cucumbers, frozen carrots, frozen mini bagels. We also froze washcloths too. They were great distractions when we needed a few minutes of solitude for a shower or whatever. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:10 am 
Active Forum Member

Your baby is adorable! As others have said, she missed learning bite inhibition from her littermates so she'll have to learn it from you. My Jennie didn't respond to my yelp either, so when she puts her teeth on me I gasp and pull my hands away. Then I tell her "no teeth" in a firm voice. All interaction stops for at least a few minutes. Even at a year old, there are still times where her teeth touch my skin accidentally and I react the same way. It took time, but it did work. Now she usually licks my hand immediately to let me know it wasn't deliberate.

After being constantly in the company of her littermates, being left completely alone is a shock to such a young pup and it sounds like she over-reacts when she gets to be in your company. You might consider keeping her with you as much as possible until she feels more secure. I used an exercise pen with Jennie and she spent most of her days in it with her toys and water dish. I got a light weight one that I could move around easily. I set up the expen in the room that I spend most of my time in. I put it near a sliding door so she could see outside. From her pen, she could see me whether I was in my home office area, the kitchen or the dining area. I talked to her often and even sang silly songs to her when I was out of her site. Once she realized that I was still around even when she couldn't see me, she became much calmer. She only came out of the pen when I could give her my undivided attention. We would play or I would hold her on my lap and pet her or brush her. She quickly learned that being rambunctious got her put back in the expen where being calm got her more contact.

She is a year old now and has the run of the house. But I still use the expen to close off some areas at times. For example, I am remodeling my master bath and don't want her in there, so I have two sections of the expen set up at the door so she can see but can't go in.

Here's a picture of Jennie as a little baby with her expen so you can see what it looks like. You'll also note a number of different types of toys. She preferred soft, cloth toys for teething, like the fleece braid at right and the stuffed fabric toy at the left. And the grocery bag, of course!

Attachment:
DSC00040 (700x696).jpg
DSC00040 (700x696).jpg [ 313.6 KiB | Viewed 501 times ]

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:43 pm 
Active Forum Member

SusanT wrote:
Your baby is adorable! As others have said, she missed learning bite inhibition from her littermates so she'll have to learn it from you. My Jennie didn't respond to my yelp either, so when she puts her teeth on me I gasp and pull my hands away. Then I tell her "no teeth" in a firm voice. All interaction stops for at least a few minutes. Even at a year old, there are still times where her teeth touch my skin accidentally and I react the same way. It took time, but it did work. Now she usually licks my hand immediately to let me know it wasn't deliberate.

After being constantly in the company of her littermates, being left completely alone is a shock to such a young pup and it sounds like she over-reacts when she gets to be in your company. You might consider keeping her with you as much as possible until she feels more secure. I used an exercise pen with Jennie and she spent most of her days in it with her toys and water dish. I got a light weight one that I could move around easily. I set up the expen in the room that I spend most of my time in. I put it near a sliding door so she could see outside. From her pen, she could see me whether I was in my home office area, the kitchen or the dining area. I talked to her often and even sang silly songs to her when I was out of her site. Once she realized that I was still around even when she couldn't see me, she became much calmer. She only came out of the pen when I could give her my undivided attention. We would play or I would hold her on my lap and pet her or brush her. She quickly learned that being rambunctious got her put back in the expen where being calm got her more contact.

She is a year old now and has the run of the house. But I still use the expen to close off some areas at times. For example, I am remodeling my master bath and don't want her in there, so I have two sections of the expen set up at the door so she can see but can't go in.

Here's a picture of Jennie as a little baby with her expen so you can see what it looks like. You'll also note a number of different types of toys. She preferred soft, cloth toys for teething, like the fleece braid at right and the stuffed fabric toy at the left. And the grocery bag, of course!

Attachment:
DSC00040 (700x696).jpg

A good idea, that looks like a great set up, and darling lil one.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:18 pm 
Forum Legend

Nothing to add, but wanted to say she is a doll. Is she a chocolate and tan? Can't tell for sure if chocolate or black. I'm guessing chic because of her eyes.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:56 am 
Active Forum Member

debbiefive wrote:
Nothing to add, but wanted to say she is a doll. Is she a chocolate and tan? Can't tell for sure if chocolate or black. I'm guessing chic because of her eyes.

Ya she's Choc/Tan/White or some say Buff or blond but I think also some white on the toe tips.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:37 am 
Active Forum Member

Still having lots of issues with biting or dominant play, have done as suggested and left when it starts but she will nip at my legs, pants as I walk away upstairs then whine. Had to have her sleep down stairs no crate still working on getting her in and stay for even 30 seconds, She has lots or way to much energy and that just makes the biting running around crazy growling running at me then putting the breaks on. I am at her level when were playing for eye contact.
Paper training UGH she started attacking it ripping it up so then potty became any where, got absorbent pads now but trying to get her back on target, read when all have kindly shared but not sure where I'm going wrong.
In a 8 hour day I spend about 2.5 hours with her and 1 hour after dinner just not getting any positive , example got a sit, praised gave treat in doing so then got hard bite so had to give verbal reprimand and leave, so, so, frustrated want this little girl to turn out good and have a litter and the future, now I'm just questioning everything.

feeling so dumb right now... :dk

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:04 am 
Active Forum Member

First off, I must say she is a cutie!! So sorry you're having so much frustration. Please understand that it will take more than just a few days to teach your pup to be the dog you want her to be. I think you need to understand that all dogs are individuals and some are easier than others. In my life, all of my dogs were easy, UNTIL my little Bucky came into my life in 2005. It was a crash course where I had to learn to be a good trainer, leader, and learn what was really required of me to help this pup become successful. All my easy dogs compensated for my lack of knowledge, however, this pup did not. There were lots of tears and failures, but I did not give up and kept trying different angles to solve the issues we were having. She was 4 years old before I could take a sigh of relief and feel as though she was OK! I'm not saying that your pup will take that long, just saying that it doesn't happen overnight. I have learned so much from this dog and think that sometimes these challenges are given to us so that we can learn. I know I have! Don't give up, firmness, love and a willingness to try new approaches until one works is the key. Your pup has a lot of energy and life and just remember, as she gets older, she will calm down. Pups are so much work, but also are so alive! I miss the games and crazy that they lose after they get older. Enjoy her! Teri

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:36 am 
Active Forum Member

She is adorable! I can't add beyond what is already stated, but I'll reiterate a few points:

Keep feeding all meals in the crate. Practice stepping away and keeping her in a stay. Practice shutting the door for a second, and then opening(Don't increase the time quickly, going to take months of practice, go very slow). No baby talk/sentences/affection, only words are simple commands.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:03 pm 
Active Forum Member

So now at 9 or 10 weeks old, having to have her sleep down stairs, not working on the foot of my bed, She whined and barked off and on and I'm sure it was rough, felt terrible doing it. Hope she matures just not to fast. On the good is I can get her to crate for a treat and stay 20 seconds then I give another treat, I have her come out and sit for a treat and well not having much problem with either, she will sit most any time I ask so lots of positive support and affection given to her. Hope to night goes better I fell like a terd doing it.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:46 pm 
Forum Legend

If she's in the crate, why can't she be upstairs where you are? I imagine you still have to take her outside once or twice at night for a potty break. If you put a baby gate at the top of the stairs, she can't get down them without you at this point. I think she might like the security of having your hand pat her and let her know it's ok when she's anxious at night. Have you tried soft music or an old-fashioned alarm clock that ticks (right outside the crate)?

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:38 pm 
Active Forum Member

I want to be sure I understand correctly... you spend 2.5 hour with her during "an eight hour day" and then 1 hour after dinner. So a total of 3.5 hours out of 24 in your company... is she alone for the other 20.5? If that is correct, I'm not surprised that she is over-reacting when she is with you. Cockers want to be with their people and they don't react well to lots of alone time.

Take a look at Jim Zim's excellent advice on how to raise a happy, heathy Cocker. http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/tips-raising.html . It was really helpful to me when I was dealing with a bratty puppy! :gig

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:03 am 
Active Forum Member

TinaP wrote:
If she's in the crate, why can't she be upstairs where you are? I imagine you still have to take her outside once or twice at night for a potty break. If you put a baby gate at the top of the stairs, she can't get down them without you at this point. I think she might like the security of having your hand pat her and let her know it's ok when she's anxious at night. Have you tried soft music or an old-fashioned alarm clock that ticks (right outside the crate)?

No I said she will enter her crate, if I closed it at this point she would be howling. so the crate can not be used, I do need sleep. Not big on gates on stairs especially down, she jumps on to the couch not much difference to clear the gate and a long fall even if the crate was possible.
It's very hard to section off areas of this house because of layout, I put a dimmer 40 watt light in the kitchen where she likes to lay and sleep in the day. And a brighter 60 in the living room her play area with toys, put the radio on and the old clock on the wall ticks. I can only work with what I have and not grant access to non pup friendly areas.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:12 am 
Active Forum Member

SusanT wrote:
I want to be sure I understand correctly... you spend 2.5 hour with her during "an eight hour day" and then 1 hour after dinner. So a total of 3.5 hours out of 24 in your company... is she alone for the other 20.5? If that is correct, I'm not surprised that she is over-reacting when she is with you. Cockers want to be with their people and they don't react well to lots of alone time.

Take a look at Jim Zim's excellent advice on how to raise a happy, heathy Cocker. http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/tips-raising.html . It was really helpful to me when I was dealing with a bratty puppy! :gig

No I call those hours time we interact I am on the main floor from 8 am until 10 pm with her, but again if she starts the biting I must as many have said stop the play, the only way to do this is go to the upper floor or it just moves to the next room. My options are kitchen and living room, (please read crate response Tina P) I am not a stay at home mom, I'm a sgl guy who is working part time at home and trying to make it all fit.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:03 am 
Active Forum Member

Hang in there, it will get better. Our trainer told us that a tired puppy is a good puppy, and it's a mantra we repeat every day. We got Sperry the mini tennis balls or a big ball that he could carry in his mouth and we would roll them down the hall and he would run after them and bring them back. It would only take 5 minutes of play the first few weeks and we would have a tired pup on our hands. Do you live in a condo/apartment building? I can certainly be sensitive to noise concerns as I am in a condo. I kept Sperry's crate next to our bed and when he would whine I would stick my hand in. Another trick we used is filling a nalgene water bottle with hot water, and then put it in a ski sock and then put it in his crate. He still sleeps with it today even though I don't do the hot water anymore. He would snug up to it like a sibling. There were times when he would howl in his crate but by letting him out I didn't want to teach him that howling would give him what he wants. You can only do as much as you can and what is right for you. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:16 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks to all who have given some of your time for idea, encouragement or other, I live in a home URBAN! I do not have a full fenced yard, walking her around my home is hard lots of Feral Dogs and cats and Dogs people just let roam the streets so not good experience so I have to drive to a park for walk not a way to get her tired before bed.
I am disabled and trying to do the best for her I can, I have challenges I want to do agility with her and perhaps obedience but for now I'm dealing with many things until I move in November to a Rural area for both our sanity wise.
As for Cesar Milan I know many who find his technique to hard and while he is successful it's on hard dogs, jabbing a 6 LB puppy in the ribs or hind area is over the top.
Again thanks to all for your time...

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:58 pm 
Forum Legend

Sounds difficult. Hopefully once you move it will be better. Milan is an idiot!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:24 pm 
Active Forum Member

Quote:
No I call those hours time we interact I am on the main floor from 8 am until 10 pm with her, but again if she starts the biting I must as many have said stop the play, the only way to do this is go to the upper floor or it just moves to the next room.

I think I get it now... you are with her most of the day unless she acts up, and then you remove yourself until she calms down. Right? That should teach her that being rambunctious will have a negative result, so you also need great way to teach her that good play has a good result. Is there a favorite treat that you can give her when she is being good, or a game that she loves to play? In my experience, positive, reward based training got quicker results than any sort of punishment... and for a Cocker puppy to be left alone is capital punishment! :lol

I found it helpful to think of my puppy in terms of human babies to avoid having expectations she couldn't meet. At 1 year old, a medium size dog is assumed to be about the equivalent of a 15 year old... think teenager. At 2, she will be about the equivalent of a 24 year old, settled down and acting responsibly but still goofy. Puppy development happens in bursts, so you can't assume that each month is equal to 1.25 years, but still at 10 weeks she is probably about the equivalent of a 2-3 year old. Yep.. the terrible twos. So you need to tailor your training to that. She is learning lots of new words and trying to figure out what she needs to do to get what she wants. You need to figure out how to help her to figure that out.

As an adult, she will understand somewhere between 165 and 200 words... if she is average. I know Jennie understands "good girl" and "naughty girl" and I try to be sure that I'm consistent with my messaging so I don't waste any of those precious few words that need to last us a lifetime.

I know its frustrating now, but it will get better and the end result is soooo worth it! :hp