An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Prayer Chain: Penny
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:07 am 
Active Forum Member

I've been a member of this forum since I was eleven years old... It's how I found Penny, my absolute heart dog who I've grown up with and has seen me through some tough times and we've come out the other side.

She's currently battling her third bout of IMAIHA/ITP and the blood transfusion has failed. She's set to have another one but her PCV is falling and the prognosis isn't great.

Please say a prayer for my baby girl tonight. It's not her time to go, I'm in no way ready for a world without her soft brown eyes or her wet snuffly nose waking me up in the morning.

Post subject: Re: Prayer Chain: Penny
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:55 am 
Active Forum Member

I remember Penny.
I will be sending her care team thoughs of clear and insighful thinking. I will send you peace for your soul in this dark time. And so much healing White Light to your little girl.
Blessings to you all

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:58 am 
I Rescue Cockers

My Annie is an IMHA survivor. PLEASE ask about giving gamma globulin BEFORE the transfusion. It minimizes the possible side effects/rejection of the blood from the transfusion so the dog stabilizes faster and easier. It made the difference for Annie. I'll be praying.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:01 am 
Active Forum Member

I, too, had a heart dog named Penny. Healing thoughts and sort snuggles for you and your Penny.

Missing - My beloved Penny (1/9/97 - 8/16/13), Duchess, Muffin & others

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:12 am 
Active Forum Member

Vickie, we're on our way to the vets now to see her before the transfusion. I will definitely ask if this is being given. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:33 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Sending prayers for your sweet Penny.
Prayers for strength for you too.

owner of
THE SHAVER SHOP INC.
We sell and repair Electric Shavers and Clippers
We have a complete HAND SHARPENING SERVICE
Visit our website to see some of the things we do and carry
www.shavershop.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:07 pm 
Forum Legend

Daisy,
Healing prayers for your sweet Penny and for you in this tough time.

(I just this past week submitted my Cricket's blood and urine samples as part of the control group for a study to find a cure for this horrid dIsease. )

---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: April 15, 2003, home September 1, 2014- March 31, 2015, 7 months of Love
Feather: March 23, 1994 - November 17, 2011, 17 years and 8 months of Love

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:09 pm 
Forum Legend

Sending prayers for Penny and her team of doctors that they can guide her through this latest setback. Thank you, Vickie, for your wisdom where this disease is concerned.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:40 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm so sorry Penny is fighting this horrible disease again! Penny (and you) are so much in my prayers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:26 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

TinaP wrote:
Sending prayers for Penny and her team of doctors that they can guide her through this latest setback. Thank you, Vickie, for your wisdom where this disease is concerned.

You are welcome but, as the song lyric goes, it is wisdom born of pain. I am so thrilled Annie survived it but it forever changes your life in ways that are too numerous to list. Three of my others just gave blood/urine samples to UI to see if they can find out more of this horrific disease.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

Last edited by Vickie on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:42 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm adding my prayers for Penny, the doctors and you to fight this battle and win. {{HUGGS}

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:24 am 
Active Forum Member

. . .just seeing this now. . . .sending prayers of healing, strength and courage to Penny and you!

debbierg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:06 am 
Active Forum Member

We managed to make it through the night without too many dramas and things aren't looking as dramatic as they did last night. Her platelets are absolutely fine but her red blood cells are dangerously low which is making it difficult for her, her breathing is pretty laboured and she gets tired very easily.

They're wary of doing another transfusion as she didn't react to well to the last one (vomiting etc.) and they feel there's an even greater chance of rejection with a second one (even with imunosuppressants). Her red blood cells dropped another percentage last night, meaning she's currently sitting on 16%. But as there's a 1% margin of error with these things, they're testing her every few hours. We're waiting on some packed red blood cells (so just what her body needs) to give to her if she needs it but we're still crossing our fingers that we hit a plateau and the drugs kick in.

She's finally eating again after two days of turning her nose up at everything - and before that she'd only managed a day of eating after leaving everything untouched for four days. We'll see her later on today and go through our options.

I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

It seems ironic that for the past 6 months we've been preparing ourselves that Josie, our 15 year old, maybe in her twilight years - then suddenly we're thrown this curveball where we could lose them both within a few months of each other. Funny how things work out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:26 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Glad to hear al least things are holding. Her count is actually pretty good (bet you never thought that). Annie had dropped to a smidge above 8%. My vets had both personal experience with IMHA and they followed up with consults all over. One homeopathic vet said that a combination of browned, rinsed chop meat mixed with raw, grated beet helped IMHA dogs. It looked disgusting but Annie did eat some. We tried to have lots of favorites and fed her hourly offering small amounts of this or that till she accepted something; a nickel-size piece of chicken, a small piece of beef, even a favorite cookie. With the meds they're on it is important to keep something in the tummy but not overload it because the systems are already working hard to keep up.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:11 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Sending my thoughts and prayers that she beats it again for the third time. I also participated with the Iowa State study to hopefully help us with this awful disease.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:14 am 
Active Forum Member

We just got back from the vet and she's not looking good - her count is now at 14 and she was incredibly lethargic. She just wanted to lie on me and sleep. She'll be having the packed cell transfusion in the next couple of hours, and the transfusion itself will take between 4-6 hours to make sure she doesn't react. After that, the transfusion should give her a bit of a boost and we'll use that time as a window to have her home for 24 hours to see if we can get her to eat.

Her production levels are high, they're just being destroyed at an incredibly high rate which is disconcerting. Her heart rate is also in the 150's and with her murmur we're worried about that as well.

We're determined to fight this thing to the bitter end (and when it becomes too much for Penny) but it's not looking overly hopeful at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:00 pm 
Forum Legend

Daisy,

I am just now seeing this and my heart breaks for you and Miss Penney. I know the pain of this dastardly disease.

It was good to read that you will be fighting for Penney. She needs your will to fight.

Vickie, is the most knowledgeable person to help you through this.

Sending my prayers, best wishes and visualizations for Penney's recovery. :love

Dawn :paw

I am sure that you have read the posts in "caring for your cocker". A refresher might help you make your decisions about Penney's care.

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:08 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi Dawn,

Thanks I've read the topic in 'Caring for your Cocker' from back to front :) Things are looking a little better this morning. For her last six tests she's been between 14-16 and with a 1% margin for error it's a better position than where we were. If this plateau turns into a climb, she can come home for 24 hours or so when she hits 19%. Her heart rate is still very high and is being checked every half an hour and she's very hot so they've been giving her ice cubes which she loves. She had food yesterday but she's now back to not eating so we'll be making her some of the food suggested and trying that.

I'm trying to protect myself from the highs and lows of this awful disease. Every time I get hopeful, something bad happens. Plus we've been fighting with the administration side of the vet surgery. Her vet care has been brilliant but their pharmacy has been slow to order two out of the three drugs she needs which, as you all know with this disease, is not okay at all as time is vital.

Please keep up in your prayers, I will keep you updated and hopefully she can come home soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

Sending prayers and well wishes. I loss my Jilly to this disease 9 yrs ago. I pray she beats this.

Rhett and Jill, who watch over us from above

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:45 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Prayers coming for pretty little Penny and of course the gorgeous Josie. So sorry to hear they are both struggling at the moment :cry

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:51 am 
Active Forum Member

Well it's been a pretty full on few days. Pen's PCV turned down on Friday evening/Saturday morning and they decided to transfuse her with packed-red blood cells as that was what she was lacking (compared to last time as it was her platelets). It took six hours to transfuse her and she didn't react adversely to it. We then took her home straight after as we knew she'd be okay for a few hours.

We managed to get her to eat a little bit and took her back in that evening (more like midnight) when her PCV was sitting at 30% so she got to go back home with us. The next morning we were back before 8 to have her bloods redone and she was climbing to a 33%... 4 o'clock that afternoon back to 32% and yesterday evening at 30%.

She's a lot brighter than she has been and the vet is a lot more confident. We've got another transfusion sent through that is an exact cross-match which they'll keep for a month if she needs it. We're hoping she'll stabilise but now she's eating and moving a lot more, she seems like she's slowly going back to her usual self. But, one again, I'm nervous to feel hopeful on this rollercoaster...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:06 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

continued prayers for your sweet Penny.
Prayers for you too.

owner of
THE SHAVER SHOP INC.
We sell and repair Electric Shavers and Clippers
We have a complete HAND SHARPENING SERVICE
Visit our website to see some of the things we do and carry
www.shavershop.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:37 am 
Forum Legend

Still sending prayers for your little sweetie and hoping that she rebounds. It sounds like things are moving in the right direction, so fingers crossed that it continues. :sun

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 am 
Active Forum Member

Get well soon, Penny. I pray you'll be bouncing in no time :run

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:11 am 
Active Forum Member

An update on Pen as a lot has happened. The second transfusion wasn’t successful and she started to decline quite quickly. They started her on cyclosporine but I felt nervous as previously our vet had stated that once her patients had rejected two transfusions and been put on cyclosporine, they hadn’t made it.

Thanks to the wonder of the forum, I’d been speaking to Dr LeVine who is the wonderful person researching this disease and recommended we take her to the Royal Veterinary Hospital which would be the best place near us to deal with Pen as we were beginning to lose hope.

So we made the two hour drive up to the vet and Penny was immediately admitted into the emergency ward and was kept in to run some tests to see what could be done.

They increased her fluids as her blood volume was low, ran an echo and scanned her for blood clots.

She has mitral valve on top of her heart murmur (but they said that wasn’t unusual in a dog of nearly nine with her medical history). The biggest worry was they found blood clots in her spleen, stomach and small intestine. There’s nothing we can do about those clots apart from wait for her to deal with them. But they added another drug to the cocktail to help prevent others from forming.

For the first time since this all started (and without a transfusion), her blood count rose to 31% so they’ve allowed her to come back home. She’s tired and very clingy but we’re just happy to have her home. She's very shaved a lot as we have to inject some of the medication. We've nicknamed her the Patchwork Puppy.

Fingers crossed it lasts!!

Attachments:
resized 1.jpg
resized 1.jpg [ 54.52 KiB | Viewed 342 times ]
resized 2.jpg
resized 2.jpg [ 43.16 KiB | Viewed 342 times ]