An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Seborrhea : help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:50 am 
Active Forum Member

Now Saydee has seborrhea. At least that what the vet says? She gave me a spot- on med. once a week for a month. She was on it before. It helped but as soon as I stopped she got it again. I read put mineral oil or olive oil on it. So I have been getting rid of the scales thru combing then put oil on. Has anyone else had this and what did you do?

Post subject: Re: Seborrhea : help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:56 pm 
Forum Legend

has the vet recommended a medicated shampoo?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

Check out this article on PetMD. It doesn't offer lots of direct advice, but may help you formulate some questions for your vet.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/ski ... _seborrhea

We'll be pulling for you both!
Susan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:26 pm 
Forum Legend

I would go to a good health food store and get a small bottle of SOVEREIGN SILVER apply every four hours. See what happens if it works report back. :hp

Use non pasteurize organic apple cider vinegar this to soften up the area and then use the silver if the silver doesn't work alone.

50/50 vinegar mix with water I used it straight on small warts. Plus as a rinse after the bath 50/50 mix vinegar with water. I have used the straight stuff with no problems with lip fold problem.

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:59 am 
Active Forum Member

Medicated shampoo did not help that much. I ordered some other shampoo for it on line. Also,
thanks for the suggestions.
I did check out that site before. It is good!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:26 am 
Active Forum Member

My Dexter got it a couple of years ago. The vet gave me shampoos and medications, they did not work. I read up on it and found out food and nutrition is some of the biggest factors, especially if your dog had no problems before. For Dexter I had changed his food several months prior to this happening and this must have been what caused it because I put him on a new food and about a month later it was all cleared up. So take a look at your dog’s diet and even if you have not changed the food prior to this happening it may still be the culprit. You dog can develop these issues with their old food over time. I hope this helps.

Chester 08/15/2008
Dexter 12/12/2009 (Rescue)
Charlie 07/21/2012 - (Rescue, Gotcha Day)
Danny (Lab Mix) 11/2011 - (Foster, Gotcha Day)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:58 am 
Forum Legend

Robyn K. wrote:
My Dexter got it a couple of years ago. The vet gave me shampoos and medications, they did not work. I read up on it and found out food and nutrition is some of the biggest factors, especially if your dog had no problems before. For Dexter I had changed his food several months prior to this happening and this must have been what caused it because I put him on a new food and about a month later it was all cleared up. So take a look at your dog’s diet and even if you have not changed the food prior to this happening it may still be the culprit. You dog can develop these issues with their old food over time. I hope this helps.

You are so correct on diet as a treatment for the cause of fungus growth inside out for treatment. As something is missing in the diet. Still do that outside treatment as a start of treating infection. If it's local area.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:11 pm 
Active Forum Member

Her food has been changed so many time by the vet for her Ibs. I am done with this vet stuff. They are all guessing. I got best breed food today for seniors. I am feeding her chicken and rice for a few days then the new food gradually. She has had Ibs for over a year and vets meds etc did nothing. Checked for all sorts of things.

The seborrhea. I bought some human shampoo for it. Bath everyday. Let it soak and it seems to be getting better. I am lost with both of these especially the ibs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:55 pm 
Forum Legend

COLLOIDAL SILVER for Pets
10 ppm Colloidal silver. Available in 4 oz spray, 2 oz gel, and in a 16 oz liquid refill bottle.

A must-have for any First-Aid kit for pets and people alike.
Effective against fungi, bacteria, protozoa and some viruses, colloidal silver can be used topically, internally, intra-nasally and in eyes and ears to clean, deodorize and sterilize wounds, bites and other puncture wounds and abrasions , to fight infections, to soothe rashes, dermatitis/pyoderma, & skin irritations.

Colloidal Silver is extremely small silver particles suspended in water. The water is charged by setting a small electrical current through an electrolyte with silver electrodes. Very small molecular particles are then drawn off of the positive electrode, thus resulting in the positive charge and the Colloidal Silver.

Our EIS Colloidal Silver (Electrically Isolated Colloidal Silver) is made in an automatic current-controlled, voltage-referenced Colloidal Silver generator system that produces a fine, pure and stable Colloidal Silver.

It is made with a thermal convection stirrer .This thermal convection stirrer adds a bit of heat which increases the ability of water to hold ions in solution.

Our Colloidal Silver liquid and gel products are:

Totally natural
Organic
Petroleum and oil-free
Non-toxic
Non-irritating
Non-greasy
Non-allergenic
Suitable for adults, children and animals

We sterilize all of our product bottles before use.
Medical benefits

Colloidal Silver has natural antibiotic, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties and can be used externally and or internally. Best of all, bacteria that has become immune to antibiotics has no immunity to Colloidal Silver.

Our Colloidal Silver Gel is made from 99.99% pure silver and (filtered) with a natural mineral-based gelling agent added to thicken the silver liquid. We make every effort to ensures that our CS is the best we can make it, and all containers are cleaned and sterilized before use.

Storage

When stored properly, Colloidal Silver has no expiration. Store in a cool/dark cabinet, away from direct sunlight or high-energy electrical sources/magnetic fields. Do not refrigerate.

Colloidal Silver Gel uses:

Abrasions – acne – allergies – athletes foot – body odour ( it is very effective as an underarm deodorant, since most underarm odour is caused by bacteria breaking down substances release by the sweat glands) – burns – cuts – conjunctivitis – dermatitis – ear infections-eczema – hemorrhoids – insect bites – rashes – parasitic infections – pyoderma-rashes – razor nicks – sunburn – warts – wounds.

Oliver's lip fold dermatitis gave me a wart I treated it with the colloidal silver and his lip fold problem is really under control and two months my wart is a scar on my arm.

Is the dogs body covered or just a special area? http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/blog/seborrhea-dogs-vitamins/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:41 pm 
Active Forum Member

Jeanie - I only check in on this forum from time to time, but your question caught my attention. Over the years we have had two different cockers with this same skin problem - years apart, not at the same time. They also had weight issues, would get cold easily and shiver, and were a bit grumpy. In both cases, after a long battle trying to figure out the problem, we had blood work done and found that they had thyroid issues. Once they were put on thyroid medication, the problems were cured over time. The skin cleared and the weight came down. They also seemed much happier. I don't know if this could be Saydee's problem, but if she has any of these other symptoms it might be worth asking your vet about. We also used a medicated shampoo for dogs made for this problem, but I don't remember the name. Best of luck with Saydee - I know how frustrating this issue can be.

Cody.... 10/00 - 3/12

Loving and sharing life with:
Amanda ....9/03

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cheryl- my other cocker had thyroid problems and I diagnosed it because of her hair. That is the first thing in made the vet check and all is good. I think it is just like a person with dandruff. I have used the shampoo I got on masons and put mineral oil on it an hour before bath and now it seems to be better. Thanks for your idea anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Try a coconut oil base shampoo or head and shoulders. Stearic Acid I believe what your looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:48 am 
Active Forum Member

My new pup has a scaly lump on his paw. Is this maybe Seborrea? His brother has some alopecia spots. Are the two related? Also can I wait to take him to the vet? I want the vet to look at it, but he gets his second puppy shots in a week. I kinda wanted to wait to take him out until after those shots.