The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: should I take a flight to get a new puppy?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:17 pm 
Forum Member

Hi all,

New member here, super excited o join the forum. I was a cocker owner for 12 wonderful years. Twenty two years after my beloved cocker passed away, it finally seems that it is the time to get a cocker puppy. My kids are also super excited and want a red and white puppy, just like the one I had many years ago.

My idea was to have a mini-trip with the kids and drive a couple of hours to get the puppy. I live in South Florida. I haven't been able to find a breeder with a red and white puppy in all Florida. I found one in Alabama and one in Mississipi (not exactly red and white, but buff and white close to redish). One of the breeders is willing to ship the puppy, but I can't allow that and let the puppy suffer during shipping. Should I take a flight and pick up the puppy (that also translates in considerable additional expense) or should I keep looking here locally? How easy or hard is to find a red and white cocker puppy? The excitment of getting the puppy makes me want to take a plane. I guess that if they are not that common I should pull the trigger. On the other hand, if I waited 22 years I can wait a couple of extra months if necessary.

I would love to hear your opinion on wether I should take a flight to pick a puppy or look locally? I would also appreciate if anyone can recommend in a private message a reliable breeder in Florida? Is there any way to confirm when a puppy was born? Thanks so much and I am looking forward to getting your input.

Post subject: Re: should I take a flight to get a new puppy?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:54 pm 
Active Forum Member

I can't offer you much advice with flying to get the puppy but all I can say is I would find it hard to trust a breeder that is even okay with idea of shipping a puppy!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

Welcome! I'm happy you've decided to bring a new puppy into your home. You must share your photos when you get it!

I'm learning all about showing and breeding and I have tons, and I mean tons of cocker information(too much to write at once)... I live in South Florida. There is a cocker specialty show next weekend in West Palm Beach. Sending you a private message...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:58 pm 
Forum Legend

Are you looking on the internet or a responsible dog breeders? Maybe this should help. This is a listing of dog shows in your state for the year. http://www.infodog.com/show/state_show_ ... m?state=fl

We drove over 7 hours one way to get our cocker. We left 3:30PM and didn't get back to about 8AM the next day with several stops. I can tell you the older the better three to six months. Less problems.

Joe

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:58 pm 
Forum Legend

Personally, I would not make a commitment to buy a puppy until I could meet the dam at least, and see where and how the puppy is being raised.

Sharing my experience of buying my latest puppy- I knew the breeder because my other cocker was a foster of hers. In the process of meeting her and her dogs, I met the dam of my current puppy. So when I was looking for another love, I contacted her. When she said she had a puppy, I went to visit, taking my first cocker with me. We had a lovely afternoon visit, and the new pup and I fell in Love. But it wasn't time to bring her home. A few weeks later, I flew 2 hours to bring her home on the plane. Actually, I flew both dogs home, and it was totally doable. But I would not do it without meeting the puppy first.

Sophie, Oct. 22, 2014, home 9/19/15
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home September 1, 2014- March 31, 2015, 7 months of Love
Feather: March 23, 1994 - November 17, 2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:44 am 
Active Forum Member

I would not ship a puppy or trust a breeder who would do so. I flew from L.A. to Memphis to pick up Mulligan, as I couldn't find what I wanted within driving distance at the time I was looking. It worked out fine. You'll need a special dog carrier that fits under the seat. They are easy to find. Everyone on the plane was more than happy to help me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:19 am 
Active Forum Member

I'd be concerned about immunities if under six months of age.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:07 pm 
Active Forum Member

I flew from Washington State to New York to get my two buff girls and then again a year later to Nebraska to get my chocolate sable. Flying does add extra costs, you have to pay to fly with the puppy in the cabin and depending on the airline some are more accommodating than other airlines. I met both breeders at the airport and never met any of the parents or saw the environment they started their life in (BIG MISTAKE!!)

With that being said I have to ask why you are set on a specific color, we can never replace the one we have lost, and for me it would be too difficult to have the same color (I can say this because my heart dog was a red and white parti). I have learned more important than color is personality and a healthy baby.

My next baby will come from a trusted breeder I can drive to, meet the parents, see the environment they are living in, see the personality and how he/she interacts with me. I will go there multiple times and visit before I commit to taking the puppy home.

Good luck on finding your next family member.

Sasha~Chocolate Sable~1/30/2010

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

I understand that color can be important, and the red and white ones are quite beautiful. That said, I believe that sometimes there is a difference between what we think we would like, and what makes us happy. I wound up with a black and tan cocker because I contacted someone and it was what she had available, he seemed like a nice little guy.

I don't mean to sound unfeeling, but shipping a puppy from Alabama to Florida does not sound so bad because it is not a long flight. However, wouldn't you want to meet the puppy to make sure it is a nice dog? Basically, I wouldn't recommend flying if I didn't have to, nor shipping a dog, but it is understandable if you feel like you have to.

I know this is a cocker forum, but being in South Florida, you might want to check out some warm-weather breeds as well. They could take longer walks during the summer when it is hot, and might be more comfortable in the tropics. Something like a miniature poodle or Havanese might be an excellent fit, if you are not fixated on getting a cocker.