Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: About walking
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:00 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

I just read an article about the proper way to go on walks' all sorts of stuff about control and who's alpha
As a rule we do about 10 minutes on leash for training but we are usually off leash for an hour or more, at my arthritic discretion. I think Daisy would go all day. She rarely goes out of sight and if I am moving slowly she comes back for me.
Am I doing her a disservice? Most of her life is spent being totally conscious of us but in the bush she has freedom to roam. I know that our walks would be a lot shorter if I had her on leash. I listen to a talking book, knit and walk at my own pace. She covers at least 10 x the distance running on and then back to me. The only time that she doesn't come back is when we are almost home and I am really slow by then. She is always waiting by the door. Can't wait to get in and tell Roy all about the birds and the frogs and the animal poops and the cliffs ( scares me but she is good at them). Are leashed walks better for the relationship?

Post subject: Re: About walking
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:32 pm 
Forum Legend

Safety is the issue, otherwise if you can do off leash go for it. Ava loves off leash. She's a totally different dog when free...so much happier and confident

I'm no expert, but that's my opinion

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:28 pm 
Forum Legend

We are lucky our grade schools are fenced in, it's the only time Oliver is off leash but as a puppy he would buz by kids and other dogs and not obey me. Had no worries about cars but maybe lager dogs I kept watch. We don't do that much he is always on leash. One time off leash getting ready to leave grandpa's we walked out to my car and he took off to meet a stranger next door. Thought he would never ever do that but he did.

At the county park we walk three mile plus I heard a couple had their German shepherd off leash and it attacked a deer that had to be put down. Of course they took off. This a leash park law!

If you have no cars there's no problem.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:23 am 
Active Forum Member

If your dog can walk off-leash, why not! The important thing is they return to you when called. Cici is still on leash because we have not gotten to the point of training her at that stage yet. She is released only in fenced in parks, but she never goes far, thankfully.

But my concerns are more with people, honestly. I've seen people label dogs as vicious and complain about them if they bark at strangers approaching their owners, or chase after chickens or birds or squirrels. If the dog gets the animal, the community can lobby to put the dog down, which is ridiculous. It is instinctive for them to chase things and Cici wants to chase birds all the time. She still has some fear of strangers being a rescue. The other day I was walking her - someone I don't know crossed the street to talk to me and came close and Cici barked at her. She ultimately calmed down and she did not bare her teeth, but the comment I got was "Your dog is vicious!"

Really? Vicious for barking???

Honestly, it is people's reactions to some normal dog behavior that worry me and make me want to keep Cici on leash and as close as possible - esp knowing that she is still learning some commands.

If she tries to bite someone without being provoked, that's another thing. Another mistake people make is appraoching her head on and petting her head right away without even taking a little time to let her sniff. Not all dogs are comfortable with that.

So, it depends on the dog, their past, and your determination of how people would approach her if she is off leash.

I am tempted to continue to keep Cici on the extended leash because I think she is a little too curious about putting her nose down holes in the ground, trying to "bite" bees and doing all sorts of things that would send us to the vet...LOL

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:07 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi Woody,

I met with a trainer yesterday for continuing Cici's training now that her back is 100%. I just wanted to convey part of what he said to us during her walk in the park training.

He said the bigger problem is other dogs that may be off leash. He said he has seen some very aggressive behavior from other dogs (off leash) toward another dog that is free. He said that since you never know how other dogs are going to react, if you are in a park that is frequented by many dog walkers (and you tend to see that they are off leash a lot), it is best to keep your dog on leash. No matter how calm and obedient our dogs are, you never know how another dog, or person is going to react.

Daisy seems to be really well trained and calm and i am not telling you what to do at all - I just wanted to convey what he said to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:51 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

We're walking bush roads. Occasionally ( like 4 times in the last year) we'll bump into someone else but everyone knows that Daisy is timid, plus she is much smaller than the other dogs so they clear past quickly. Kind of a drag for me as a bit of neighbourhood gossiping is always fun.
Where we walked in the winter was public land and used as off leash. We'd see at least one dog per walk but everyone is pretty quick to leash their dogs when another comes into sight, except for one idiot who runs an under a year old pointer while riding his bike. One time that dog jumped on me ( youthful enthusiasm) and knocked me over (I am a little unsteady on my feet). My poor wee doggy didn't know what to do so she came and laid down with her head on my chest and cried until I got my breath back and we were on our way again. The guy didn't even stop but did yell an apology back at me, adding dogs will be dogs.
There are twits everywhere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:44 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Forget about all the alpha stuff, this theory has been debunked and found incorrect for dogs. :wink Control is of course important whether a dog is off lead or on lead, but that's a training issue, nothing to do with alpha/pack stuff.

So if off lead works for you, that's fantastic! I have my dogs off lead wherever I can - it's much more fun for them and you, though making sure that they also learn walking on lead as we have to go along roads around here at times and not all areas are suitable for off lead walks.

Mum to Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel), Skye (English Cocker Spaniel) and Blake (Saluki Lurcher). RIP Troy and Dylan!