An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Sperry still chewing
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:09 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi all! Sperry is 9 months now, had his neuter surgery and his eye fixed. He is looking great! Phew! Our little stinker has been on a chewing spree...totally tearing into his bed last night, pulling the stuffing out while we were sleeping. Is this chewing still typical for his age? :bang

Post subject: Re: Sperry still chewing
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:58 am 
Recommended Breeder

In my experience, yes. None of my cockers have been trust-worthy in the chew department until they were over 18 months, and they still surprise me occasionally. Jamie is 15 months and he still is the chewmaster!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:41 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks, Gale! I woke up this morning and my boyfriend texted me "go look what he did in the living room". I am just thankful it wasn't the couch! Sperry just loves the fuzz that they pack the beds with. I am also partially to blame as we did not go for a nightly walk last night -- do you think he was mad at me? :tg Will have to make sure he is well exercised come bed time. He just won't sleep in his crate at night anymore. How are your babies?!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:10 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

My Riley is 6 and still likes to chew leather-oh my did I have a crisis this winter when he chewed the back flap off my son's $100 Chippawea boots! He has destroyed slippers, all the flaps off our boots, anything leather!

Glad Sperry has his surgeries behind him and is looking and feeling well!

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:39 pm 
Forum Legend

Get some chew toys quick! Maybe a Kong toy or a rope? Oliver liked books. One like the electric chord had to unplug that. A Benadryl at night? Maybe he wants to be in the same room at night? This way he can be heard.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:06 pm 
Forum Legend

I think it's Orvis who makes a non-chewable fabric for their dog beds. Might want to check them out.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:55 pm 
Forum Legend

I got my first cocker when she was 5.5 months, she was a delight and very well socialized but she chewed and destroyed lots of things. I could not trust her loose in the house at night until after she was 2 years old, so she slept in a crate beside my bed. She'd hang out with me in the evening and as soon as I got involved with reading or tv or whatever, she'd sneak off to get something she wasn't supposed to have.

---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: April 15, 2003, home September 1, 2014- March 31, 2015, 7 months of Love
Feather: March 23, 1994 - November 17, 2011, 17 years and 8 months of Love

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:33 am 
Active Forum Member

awe Sperry's still just a baby!

That being said, Teddy is 5.5yrs and still LOVES to eat paper. Nearly every night he goes on a hunt for any papers left around. And by left around, I mean anywhere within climbing range. He's almost obsessive about it. A few months ago he ate a 1/3 of a Hardcover library book... It did have a cupcake recipe on the back though so we joked that he just wanted the cupcake. I'm very very fortunate that nothing has caused an obstruction yet.

k9ballistics.com and kuranda.com both make chewproof dog beds. I've never heard of the k9 one but have heard good things about the kuranda beds.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:46 pm 
Forum Legend

When Gromit was a puppy I started buying bully sticks for her to chew on. I'm convinced that they saved many shoes, as they satisfied her need to chew. She was the least destructive dog I've ever owned, thanks to bully sticks. About the only thing that she would chew on would be my grand daughter's Barbie doll hands and feet, if she forgot to put them away! Gromit still loves bully sticks, and expects one every night around 7:30!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks, all! His bed is an Orvis, but not the chew resistant kind. He will now be the new owner of a llbean bed until I get the other sewn back together. We think the bed disaster was a result of us having been away for the weekend and he was with our dog walker. When we got home late, we were tired and didn't take him for a walk--our mistake! Aside from the bed incident, he loves his antlers and chews them before bed. It seemed like his molars are all in but I was curious about others experiences. Most nights he does slee in our room, either on our bed or on the floor. We've been fortunate that he is a good boy and stays out of trouble for the most!