The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce Yourself!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:43 am 
Forum Legend

"I was wondering if I should get the papers on her. The breeder offered them for an additional $50.00. Right now we are doubtful that we will breed her. If we stick to this is there really any other reason we would want/need the papers?"

Sadie Mae is a doll. Even without breeding her, there are a few reasons why you might want her papers.
1. If you ever decide to compete with her in Agility, Rally, or other sports, having her papers is a convenient way to register her and have the AKC track her progress in competitions.
2. Cockers are known to have health issues. Even though she has no issues, I have Gromit's eyes examined by a canine ophthalmologist every year. The veterinary college maintains a database of dogs who have been tested, in order to trace issues by blood line. So even though I'll never breed Gromit, I feel I am helping the breed by her being a part of this database.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 am 
Active Forum Member

Darra wrote:
Sadie Mae is a doll. Even without breeding her, there are a few reasons why you might want her papers.
1. If you ever decide to compete with her in Agility, Rally, or other sports, having her papers is a convenient way to register her and have the AKC track her progress in competitions.
2. Cockers are known to have health issues. Even though she has no issues, I have Gromit's eyes examined by a canine ophthalmologist every year. The veterinary college maintains a database of dogs who have been tested, in order to trace issues by blood line. So even though I'll never breed Gromit, I feel I am helping the breed by her being a part of this database.

Hope that helps!

Thank you Darra!! Those are two good reasons and I will contact her and get the papers.

I see you are near Daytona Beach. We live in Palm Coast. Do they have any local competitions? I would love to go see them if they do.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:23 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

jeff_1967 wrote:
Hello Everyone!! I am Jeff and this is our new addition Sadie Mae. She is 12 weeks old and is so precious. We also have a 13 year old Sheltie that loves her just as much as we do and is very protective of her even after only 3 days together. We had a Cocker several years ago and I just had to have another one.

Sadie Mae is already a Daddy's girl and I sure wouldn't want it any other way.

I was wondering if I should get the papers on her. The breeder offered them for an additional $50.00. Right now we are doubtful that we will breed her. If we stick to this is there really any other reason we would want/need the papers?

Thank you all for such an informative forum and I can't wait to share this journey with everyone as well as follow each of your journeys.

She is beautiful. I adore her white belly! Just in case you forget where to rub you'll always have that reminder and I am sure she won't let you forget.

I am not planning on breeding my little guy, but the breeder is sending his AKC Papers today. If anything it lets you know that the breeder was following the guidelines and will give you some peace of mind with her future health.

That was my biggest concern was the health of the pup and the lines he was bred from.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:50 am 
Active Forum Member

She is beautiful. I adore her white belly! Just in case you forget where to rub you'll always have that reminder and I am sure she won't let you forget.

I am not planning on breeding my little guy, but the breeder is sending his AKC Papers today. If anything it lets you know that the breeder was following the guidelines and will give you some peace of mind with her future health.

That was my biggest concern was the health of the pup and the lines he was bred from.[/quote]

Thank you viscott!! No chance in forgetting that lol. She enjoys it as much as I do.

I didn't really think about that and it does make perfect sense. I am going to contact the breeder and get the papers.

I told my wife I would like to possibly breed her when she is old enough but my wife said no because she doesn't think either of us could get rid of them and we just don't have room for more LOL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:43 pm 
Forum Legend

jeff_1967 wrote:
I see you are near Daytona Beach. We live in Palm Coast. Do they have any local competitions? I would love to go see them if they do.

Actually, there are VERY few cockers in this area. I belong to the Obedience Club of Daytona, and have only seen two others in 5 years of training, and none in the past few years. When the club holds its Agility trials, there are several people with cockers who compete, but they're not from around here. There's also generally an annual AKC show at the fairgrounds in DeLand, so you'll see show cockers there.

Over Thanksgiving weekend there is an agility competition at the St. Johns county fairgrounds. I don't know if there will be any other cockers there, but Gromit and I will be competing either 1 or 2 days.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Jeff, Sadie Mae is a doll. She has the sweetest little face.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:04 am 
Active Forum Member

Darra wrote:
jeff_1967 wrote:

Actually, there are VERY few cockers in this area. I belong to the Obedience Club of Daytona, and have only seen two others in 5 years of training, and none in the past few years. When the club holds its Agility trials, there are several people with cockers who compete, but they're not from around here. There's also generally an annual AKC show at the fairgrounds in DeLand, so you'll see show cockers there.

Over Thanksgiving weekend there is an agility competition at the St. Johns county fairgrounds. I don't know if there will be any other cockers there, but Gromit and I will be competing either 1 or 2 days.

Darra,

Thank you for that info! I was telling my wife and I think we will be at the St Johns competition. As spectators of course lol.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:07 am 
Active Forum Member

debbiefive wrote:
Jeff, Sadie Mae is a doll. She has the sweetest little face.

Thank you debbie!! I think she is as well. We picked her up Sunday and she has adjusted very well. The potty training is coming along good as well. No accidents in the house last night and she seems to be learning very quick where she is to go potty. Keeping my fingers crossed that she continues like this lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:46 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi all, my name is Paul and I'm the Daddy of a new working cocker spaniel who is 9 weeks old.

He's beautiful and an amazing addition to the family!

Great forum!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:43 am 
Forum Legend

Welcome to the forum. We need a pic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:50 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi everyone, my name is Kirsten and I just got my sweet pretty boy last night, literally! So excited hes here with me! I hope to get into shows with him! His name is brandy and he is a buff and white! I am married to a soldier and live in Ft Bragg :) My favorite color is purple so even though he's a boy he'll be wearing purple lol. So I couldn't get a better [ic but I'll put another, better one up later when there is more sun :D Ialso have a AKC Siberian husky I forget her coats name but its pretty :) I think it was agouti or something...

My sweet baby Brandy AWWW
Attachment:
Brandy and I.jpg
Brandy and I.jpg [ 38.46 KiB | Viewed 3736 times ]

My husband and I
Attachment:
1383104_3519073232402_600256422_n.jpg
1383104_3519073232402_600256422_n.jpg [ 24.3 KiB | Viewed 3736 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:59 pm 
Forum Legend

Kirsten...your boy is a doll baby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:31 pm 
Forum Legend

Welcome to the forum Kirsten and congrats on the new addition!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:22 pm 
Active Forum Member

My name is Art and my wife is Lilit. Here we are with out pup Archie. Our 7 week cutie. More pictures to follow.

Attachments:
image-a0ed3b0ab96bf9e188c906a9b09f8ae70fac102b1d4ea5c4271a64ce945f0a64-V.jpg
image-a0ed3b0ab96bf9e188c906a9b09f8ae70fac102b1d4ea5c4271a64ce945f0a64-V.jpg [ 250.42 KiB | Viewed 3701 times ]
20150106_232001.jpg
20150106_232001.jpg [ 254.42 KiB | Viewed 3701 times ]
10885276_10154981394755244_878610140303807354_n.jpg
10885276_10154981394755244_878610140303807354_n.jpg [ 38.31 KiB | Viewed 3701 times ]
1964913_10154844847240244_6336888999366946542_n.jpg
1964913_10154844847240244_6336888999366946542_n.jpg [ 35.7 KiB | Viewed 3701 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:06 pm 
Forum Legend

:Wlcm Archie is a doll...love the one in the sink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:38 pm 
Active Forum Member

debbiefive wrote:
:Wlcm Archie is a doll...love the one in the sink

Thank you Debbie)))

I will be posting more pics as he grows :D

:Rule

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:41 pm 
Forum Member

Hi There!
We are Carrie (owner) and Jake (ACS). Jake is a 3 month old Chocolate Parti Merle. Jake is a great puppy! He has been with me since December 17th, 2014. He joined myself, my husband, two girls age 8 and 3, and our one year old chihuahua mix. Before Jake, we had Pooh Bear who was a 12 year old Poodle mix. I had Pooh since she was a puppy, and got her for my 14th birthday present (my first dog).

First about Pooh- Pooh was the best dog on earth. Loving, calm, never barked, and docile. Pooh was a registered therapy dog, who we registered and had trained so she could go to college with me for my own personal issues. Pooh left us in July of 2014 due to a freak accident, but she did live a long, great life.

Now, about Jake- Jake is a very good puppy. He does have some issues, which I will touch on later in this. He is a very submissive boy, and will never be top dog in our house. He answers to me, and to Pepper (our 1 year old chi mix). He is always eager to please, and never far from my side. I got him from a local breeder, and he was from a litter of three. His parents were both four years old, but he was from their second litter. He was the runt of the litter. His mom weighed 19 lbs, and his dad weighed 21. Jake can only be AKC registered due to his coloring, which I could really care less about, as he will never be bred and is mainly my companion. Jake has blue eyes, and his spots are really starting to come in. He seems to have a thin coat for a cocker, and needs minimal brushing. He has his first hair cut about two weeks ago, more so to prepare him to a lifetime of grooming than an actual need. I cut his belly, and legs with a six blade, and under his ears and butt region with a three. (I have never groomed a cocker before, but read the grooming forums extensively here before trying.) Pooh needed grooming about every six weeks, and I cut her with a seven blade, and shaved her stomach. I plan to get him professionally groomed 1-2 times a year, and do the upkeep myself.

His training as been fairly successful, with his main weakness being pooping inside (he would much prefer to poop in my closet than the yard). Accidents are fairly minimal, and seems mainly restricted to when I am not home, and he is with my husband. I work part time, maybe 20 hours or less a week. My husband works from home full time, so Jake has never been crated, and has only been left alone for one hour since he came into our home. I have nothing against crating, and trained both Pooh and Pepper with crate training, but do not see a need for it since they are not left alone anymore. We use the clicker method, with both a physical and verbal clicker. His favorite treats are hot dogs, and cheese.

So far Jake knows how to:
-Sit
-Down
-Hand Touch
-Stay
-Come
-Get it
-Bring It
-Find It
-Go Potty
-Leave It
-Drop It
-Get in your spot
-No Bark

He only has one issue which he could do better with, which is accidents when left alone with my husband. I am considering crating when my husband is home, because I prefer not to clean up dog waste.

We do have one other issue, which I know is not his fault-

SUBMISSIVE URINATION
Oh my gosh, this is annoying! He does it to me, and towards Pepper. He does it when he gets excited, or if I pick him up without first covering his man parts. He does it towards Pepper any time Pepper gets dominate over toys or treats.

HOW DO WE WORK ON THIS? It's gross. I am always out of towels from wiping it up-thanks goodness I don't have any carpet! I try not to pick him up unless he is in sit position, but he still leaks at times!

We are glad to join the forums, you guys seems like a wealth of knowledge!

Attachments:
File comment: Jake Age 12 Weeks
Jake 1.15.jpg
Jake 1.15.jpg [ 55.02 KiB | Viewed 3599 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:31 am 
Active Forum Member

Jake is adorable. :hp Enjoy your little buddy while he's still little!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:52 am 
Forum Legend

Hi!!

I'm new to the forum - my name is Anuja. We adopted my girl Cici, almost 6 now, from the Lost Dog and Cat Foundation shelter in Arlington, VA, where she spent 3 years. Prior to that, she was neglected and possibly abused for 2.5 years.

She's a sweet girl and is doing well with some training. Lately, she has developed some neck pain, which could be disc diseases, but she is doing well on meds and we hope she will make a full recovery without surgery.

Here are her pictures and a link to LDCRF: https://lostdogrescue.org/date/2015/01?cat=5

Attachments:
ponytails.jpg
ponytails.jpg [ 107.44 KiB | Viewed 3331 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:50 pm 
Forum Legend

:Wlcm Cici. Cici is a cutie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:02 pm 
Forum Legend

Thanks, Debbie!

It's nice to be part of this forum. Have you ever groomed your cocker yourself? I would like to get some clippers, especially with her back issue, I don't want her to be stressed out at groomers. Her hair is getting crazy - hence the ponytails!

Attachments:
stuffed_sm.jpg
stuffed_sm.jpg [ 86.23 KiB | Viewed 3303 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:11 pm 
Forum Legend

And a couple more pics of my girl, Cici.

Attachments:
photo (12).JPG
photo (12).JPG [ 160.49 KiB | Viewed 3300 times ]
photo (11).JPG
photo (11).JPG [ 144.12 KiB | Viewed 3300 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:25 pm 
Forum Legend

Jake is so cute!!!

Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:35 pm 
Forum Legend

I do my grooming. Check the groomng section of the forum for info. There are also a lot of info and videos to be found with a Google search
Cici wrote:
Thanks, Debbie!

It's nice to be part of this forum. Have you ever groomed your cocker yourself? I would like to get some clippers, especially with her back issue, I don't want her to be stressed out at groomers. Her hair is getting crazy - hence the ponytails!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:28 am 
Active Forum Member

Hello All,

I have been lurking on the forum for a few months and have been a member for a few weeks now, but I decided it is time to introduce myself!

My name is Christy and I live in the Washington DC Metropolitan Area. I have been in love with the cocker spaniel since I was very, very young. We got our first cocker spaniel, Lady, when I was in kindergarten. She was a red cocker spaniel. I have many pictures of her, but no digital. I will have to scan some in soon.

My second cocker spaniel we got about a year after losing Lady. She was a parti and her name was Heidi. Her picture is below. Unfortunately, Heidi passed away this past September.

Attachment:
Heidi Christmas Eve 2012.2.jpg
Heidi Christmas Eve 2012.2.jpg [ 93.06 KiB | Viewed 3274 times ]

Heidi is incredibly missed and no dog can replace her. However, there is a cocker-sized hole in my home, so in a few weeks I will be bringing home this adorable two and a half week old black cocker spaniel girl. Her name is Lily.

Attachment:
Thurs. pix 009.JPG
Thurs. pix 009.JPG [ 172.67 KiB | Viewed 3274 times ]

Lily was born on March 9th and she is the only female in her litter. I very much wanted another little girl, so she and I are meant to be. I have been working with a wonderful, careful, and loving breeder here in Maryland and I have been patiently waiting for this little one's arrival since starting to work with this breeder in November of last year. I never pictured myself getting a black cocker spaniel, but color was never the most important thing to me and besides, I think she is absolutely gorgeous! Her mother is also one of the most stunningly beautiful cocker spaniels I have ever seen and if Lily looks anything like her as a grown-up, I will have hit the jackpot. I know a black dog is difficult to photograph, so if anyone has any tips (I am looking at you Viscott!) for how to get great photographs of my little girl when she gets home, I would love to hear them. We all know I will want to take many!

I have really enjoyed reading these forums during the past few months of waiting for a female cocker spaniel to be born from this breeder. It has given me lots of new insights and has kept my mind occupied during the (sometimes seemingly endless) waiting.

I look forward to continuing to chat with all of you.

Christy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next