The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce Yourself!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:49 am 
Forum Legend

Welcome Silmer and Teresa! What beautiful (and lucky) pups and a lovely, touching tribute. May every dog have such a life!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:41 pm 
Forum Legend

Silmer, loved the video. What a good life your baby had

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:06 pm 
Forum Member

Hi :)

My name's Laura and I've just joined this forum. My husband and I have just brought home our first Cocker Spaniel puppy, Luna. We both grew up with pet's but this is both our first dog as adults. We're completely besotted :love

Attachments:
File comment: Luna sitting in the back of the car
11885709_10204617634790012_971369721477987034_o.jpg
11885709_10204617634790012_971369721477987034_o.jpg [ 94.96 KiB | Viewed 3328 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:29 pm 
Forum Legend

:Wlcm Laura. Luna is a cutie!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:13 pm 
Forum Member

Hi everyone!
My name is Lyndsay, my fiance is Don. We are from South Louisiana. Don has raised many cockers over the years, he used to breed them when he was married to his ex. I have no desire to breed them. I wouldnt be able to give any away. We've been together for over 2 years and I became mommy to Hector (now 9 years old) who is totally black and grouchy as all get out (and very protective of me). He pouts when he don't get his way. Like when he can't sit in the front seat or if he has to share the front seat. lol He is fixed now. Image laying on me.
pouting because i wouldnt let him sit in the front seat (gabe is in front of him)

Then last year we got Gabriel (now he is 19 months old) aka Gabe or Bad Egg together. Gabe is a black merle. He is our special needs baby. The lady we got him from (when he was 9 weeks old) that he was kicked by a horse in the head. That explains SOOO much. But made me want to strangle the lady. :bang We have rearranged our lives for Gabe. We have to drug him in order to groom him, cant put anything new in the house without him freaking out and refusing to come inside or go into the room or just immediately pooing everywhere. He will be getting fixed soon.
this is how he sits (and that's my fiance')

Then this year for my birthday, we got Ariel. She is now 8 months old. We just got her fixed a few weeks ago, she had a hernia and I didn't want to breed her anyway, so fixed it is. She is just :wow Hard-headed, hates kids, mean to her brothers and Don lets her get away with murder. I of course am the mean one because I make them listen and try and make them have manners. She is smart though. By 10 weeks old she had already picked up how to sit, lay down, and speak. She now gives kisses and thinks she should get a treat anytime she does them. Whether we ask her to or not and she does them all back to back instead of listening to what I want her to do. So i'm mean since I don't give her a treat until she does what I want, not what she wants.
Sititng in the front seat with Hector

Fixin to get fixed

sorry if the pics are so big..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:16 am 
Forum Legend

:Wlcm Lyndsay and Don (and babies). They are all so cute! You are smart to have them spayed and neutered - they just make better pets and it's healthier for them. Hope to see you around the forum!

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:35 am 
Forum Legend

:hi Welcome to you Lindsay and Don and your adorable pupcakes!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:06 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi and welcome . I am susan and I live in NC with hubby and 2 6y ACS Sam and Chase.

Sam, black and tan ,cocker spaniel
Chase, Sable and White parti. cocker spaniel
G.T. GSD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:29 pm 
Forum Member

Hi my name is Rhonda, and I just became owner to beautiful Maddie on Thursday, Dec.31,2015, New Years Eve! She came to us through second chance conquer rescue out of Santa Barbara, California.
She was originally adopted from them when she was 2 years old and was very recently returned 10 years later due to the couple having a baby. I have multiple sclerosis in them currently in a wheelchair or on the couch. I was starting to deal with worsening symptoms of depression due to being 24/5, by myself. My doctor highly recommended that I get a companion animal so that I have something to take care of during the day while my husband is at work.
Maddie is a senior, 12 years old and so we are doing a permanent Foster with her, that allows us to not have to take care of her vet bills, the rescue organization will pay for all of her vet needs, which is a huge relief for us!
She just came to us like I said on New Years Eve and she has already made it known that she is a part of our family! She adores my husband & when he is home she will not leave his side! Saturday was the first day of her not being home together and she is exactly what I needed! She lays by my side all day long and just wants to be loved on!
We are looking forward to whatever time we have left with her! We will love on her for as long as we can have her!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:24 am 
Forum Member

My name is Liz and I have had 2 wonderful cocker spaniels. The first, Lucky, passed away years ago, but is still greatly missed. The last one, Jordan, a black and white parti, passed away on Monday. I found this site as I was looking for ways to help cope with the loss on the Internet. I am hoping to live vicariously through your dog stories until I am ready to get a new dog.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:14 pm 
Active Forum Member

Liz - I know how hard it is to loose our pups. We lost my Odie 11/14 and my husband's Tango 2/15 - We loved them dearly and still are not ready to adopt another one - in time maybe - but for now I just enjoy seeing everyone else's pups. You will know when you are ready - it takes time to heal!!

Mom to
Charlie Brown - 5/1/2011 - gotcha day 4/2/2016
Odie (buff cocker) - gotcha day 8/1/2004 - 11/4/2014
Tango (Choc/Tan) - gotcha day 2/23/2008 - 2/24/2015
Both born in 2000
Felines: Jessie & Mariah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:43 pm 
Active Forum Member

My name is Wayne from Chesapeake Va. My wife Heather & I recently had to put our loving girl Biscuit down and while searching for another Cocker I came across this site and have found out a lot more about Cockers than I knew before and Biscuit was our 2nd Cocker. Thanks for putting this out here for us Jim.

While reading over the do's and don'ts of adopting a cocker we have done the don'ts with both of our Cockers. Our first, named Honey, was a silver that lived to 14 years old. She was purchased from a pet store. Biscuit was 9 and she was purchased on-line and flown in. She had a history of seizures and this last year had eye & skin issues. We did everything we could for her but this last bout, cancer, did her in. She was a very loving pup. I would do anything to have her back.

Below is a shot of Biscuit a couple of years ago. She was the Queen Bee. We did not keep a traditional cocker cut on her.

Attachment:
queen bee.jpg
queen bee.jpg [ 96.86 KiB | Viewed 2799 times ]

We have put a downpayment on a 6 week old pup. I didn't do all the research that I probably should have but I am sure she will be loved as much as our previous 2 cockers. I plan on doing some things different with her that we have not with the other 2. I am going to follow Jim's recommendation for the ear cleaner and also make sure she has quality food to help prevent allergy issues. I also am going to invest in the equipment to groom her myself. I figured we will try to give her a more traditional cut.

Can't wait to surprise our kids for valentines.

Attachment:
new pup.jpg
new pup.jpg [ 65.62 KiB | Viewed 2797 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:59 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

That is an adorable puppy you are going to get. Keep the pictures coming.

Kudah-French Brittany rescued 06-2008
Blu - Buff Merle born 05-13-2010/Home on 08-28-2014

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:21 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi! :wv I'm Melissa and I found this forum about a month ago when I was researching how to care for cocker spaniels. My husband and I rescued one in November. We already have two dogs, an Australian shepherd mix and a Boston Terrier, about 5-6 yrs old, so we weren't looking for another dog, but we happened to be in the right place at the right time and this little sweetie needed a home. Who could resist those eyes?? We named him Ruger. :bg

Not sure how old he is, maybe two. Can't figure out why anyone would dump him as he is the cutest, most affectionate dog...I feel so lucky to have him. :love He had a really bad ear infection when we got him that we promptly treated, and he has patellar luxation issues. Maybe that's why someone didn't want him - because he required too much care? I don't get it, but I know I'm taking the best care I can of him and spoiling him silly. He loves playing with his brother and sister. I sure hope he is as happy as he seems - his tail is always wagging!

Not the greatest pics and it's hard to get a good pic that shows how cute he is.

Ruger at his first visit to the vet shortly after we got him.
Attachment:
IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG [ 22.76 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]

Ruger with his purple octopus.
Attachment:
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG [ 102.27 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]

And here he is playing tug-of-war with his brother.
Attachment:
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0668.JPG [ 65.47 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:13 am 
Forum Legend

Hello!

What a cute boy! I love black and chocolate cockers. i've learned a TON on this forum and was a first time cocker parent myself. Ear infections can be easily avoided with proper diet and cleaning. Cici had the same problem, but hasn't had one in two+ yrs since being adopted.

Please feel free to ask questions and welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:17 am 
Forum Legend

Ruger is very handsome! Who knows why people give up their pets. No excuse is acceptable to me, but I suppose there might be one. :dk So glad he landed in your loving hands. You won't regret ever having a cocker. Thank you for saving him.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:19 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
Hello!

What a cute boy! I love black and chocolate cockers. i've learned a TON on this forum and was a first time cocker parent myself. Ear infections can be easily avoided with proper diet and cleaning. Cici had the same problem, but hasn't had one in two+ yrs since being adopted.

Please feel free to ask questions and welcome to the forum!

Thanks! I know I'm biased, but I think he's pretty darn cute. I didn't even know chocolate cockers existed, but I love his coloring. I'm currently giving him Fromm food and am considering trying the grain-free version. Do you give Cici grain-free or do you avoid giving her certain foods? What do you use to clean her ears? I was considering trying Zymox. Anyway, thanks so much for the welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

Terry T. wrote:
Ruger is very handsome! Who knows why people give up their pets. No excuse is acceptable to me, but I suppose there might be one. :dk So glad he landed in your loving hands. You won't regret ever having a cocker. Thank you for saving him.

Thank you! Fate certainly seemed to play a role the day we got him. If one thing had happened differently that day, we probably wouldn't have crossed paths. I truly believe it was meant to be. :hp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:33 pm 
Forum Legend

morewineplease wrote:
Cici wrote:
Hello!

Thanks! I know I'm biased, but I think he's pretty darn cute. I didn't even know chocolate cockers existed, but I love his coloring. I'm currently giving him Fromm food and am considering trying the grain-free version. Do you give Cici grain-free or do you avoid giving her certain foods? What do you use to clean her ears? I was considering trying Zymox. Anyway, thanks so much for the welcome.

Cockers are beautiful and very loving and you'll be so happy. Please also search this forum for your answers. There is a wealth of information on food. For a cocker (and to be honest for most dogs) grain free is KEY. Fromm is a good brand, but in addition to grain free, I highly recommend trying some soft foods mixed in. Rotating foods is also very beneficial. Please see this list in this thread for some links I included of limited ingredient foods (ie fewer highly processed foods with fewer additives). Another very economical way to feed your dogs or your cocker is crock pot. I buy turkey meat at costco, I also buy organs from my butcher for VERY cheap, throw in some veggies (preferably organic - like sweet potatoes, green beans, broccoli, carrots) and I slow cook it and I have food for weeks when I supplement it with kibble can canned. I want to try slow cooking chicken necks for a long time so the bones turn to mush and they are not dangerous that way.

I also give nusentia probiotic powder and bone meal powder. She gets beef rib bones - supervised. She is not a super aggressive chewer but she enjoys them.

https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... s+#p139036

For ear cleaner, you can make the Zim cleaner or you can use K9 Solutions ear cleaner - It's GREAT!

http://www.amazon.com/For-Animals-Solut ... B000OUY5L6

Ruger is beautiful and keep the pics coming.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:42 am 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
morewineplease wrote:
Cici wrote:
Hello!

Cockers are beautiful and very loving and you'll be so happy. Please also search this forum for your answers. There is a wealth of information on food. For a cocker (and to be honest for most dogs) grain free is KEY. Fromm is a good brand, but in addition to grain free, I highly recommend trying some soft foods mixed in. Rotating foods is also very beneficial. Please see this list in this thread for some links I included of limited ingredient foods (ie fewer highly processed foods with fewer additives). Another very economical way to feed your dogs or your cocker is crock pot. I buy turkey meat at costco, I also buy organs from my butcher for VERY cheap, throw in some veggies (preferably organic - like sweet potatoes, green beans, broccoli, carrots) and I slow cook it and I have food for weeks when I supplement it with kibble can canned. I want to try slow cooking chicken necks for a long time so the bones turn to mush and they are not dangerous that way.

I also give nusentia probiotic powder and bone meal powder. She gets beef rib bones - supervised. She is not a super aggressive chewer but she enjoys them.

https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... s+#p139036

For ear cleaner, you can make the Zim cleaner or you can use K9 Solutions ear cleaner - It's GREAT!

http://www.amazon.com/For-Animals-Solut ... B000OUY5L6

Ruger is beautiful and keep the pics coming.

Wow! Thanks so much for all the info and links. There is a lot of info here on the forum so it will take me awhile to weed through it all. One more question if you don't mind...what made you want to get allergy testing done on Cici? Just because? Or did she seem to be having some allergic reactions?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:17 am 
Forum Legend

Most welcome, Melissa.

I've learned about the importance of adding variety and rotating a dog's diet like we do with our to AVOID food intolerance and allergies. Hemopet's website will explain the difference between the two. Food intolerance is very common, but hard to detect. The issue with kibble is that there are so many additional ingredients, it can be hard to tell which one might be causing itchiness or any other discomfort. The nutrican test revealed that I most likely needed to avoid white fish oils. Guess what....the vast majority of foods, esp kibble out there, contain those fish oils. Coconut oil (you can get a big, inexpensive jar of organic coconut oil from Costco) is great for dogs and Cici loves it.

When I expanded her diet and added the crock pot method, just the fact that she is so much happier and very excited about her meals is worth it. Besides eating the right foods, the reaction to her meals is much more exuberant than her kibble days. It's nice to see them enjoy their meals just like we do. You just have to introduce the foods slowly and if their digestive system is healthy, there should be no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:39 am 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
Most welcome, Melissa.

I've learned about the importance of adding variety and rotating a dog's diet like we do with our to AVOID food intolerance and allergies. Hemopet's website will explain the difference between the two. Food intolerance is very common, but hard to detect. The issue with kibble is that there are so many additional ingredients, it can be hard to tell which one might be causing itchiness or any other discomfort. The nutrican test revealed that I most likely needed to avoid white fish oils. Guess what....the vast majority of foods, esp kibble out there, contain those fish oils. Coconut oil (you can get a big, inexpensive jar of organic coconut oil from Costco) is great for dogs and Cici loves it.

When I expanded her diet and added the crock pot method, just the fact that she is so much happier and very excited about her meals is worth it. Besides eating the right foods, the reaction to her meals is much more exuberant than her kibble days. It's nice to see them enjoy their meals just like we do. You just have to introduce the foods slowly and if their digestive system is healthy, there should be no problem.

Thank you again! I have been going to a local pet store that specializes in holistic food and supplements. Fromm was one of the recommended brands. Am considering trying the grain-free, but I understand how it would still be hard to narrow down allergies, etc. with packaged food with a hundred ingredients.

He does get goat's milk on his food in the morning and Nupro with Glucosamine (which his vet recommended for his knees) in the evening and he gobbles it up, but I bet he would love homemade food even more. I have that coconut oil from Costco and use it for a variety of things. I even put it on my cuticles before bed and he practically knocks me over trying to lick my fingers. He loooooves it.

I will consider the nutrican test, especially if I think he's having issues. Want him to be as healthy as can be!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

Dear Zim Family Cocker forum,

I am pleased to be joining you. My cocker spaniel is a 7mo old puppy named Renoir. He is a sweetheart, a very sensitive guy. His coloring attracts a lot of attention on the streets of Boston. He is cooperative but only knows a few commands so far. The problem was that his treats were giving him digestion problems, so I had to lay off of them. Renoir is super friendly to other dogs and people, and he loves to play with (and hump) other dogs. I am so happy to have Renoir in my life and would like to share a photo of him. I look forward to sharing the joys of owning a cocker spaniel with you.

Thanks,

"Renoir L'Artiste Profonde"

Attachments:
IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_0774.jpg [ 31.74 KiB | Viewed 2569 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:12 am 
Active Forum Member

Welcome James and Renoir!

Your beautiful pup is named after my favorite artist. I almost named my Jennie Romaine after a Renoir print that hangs over my mantle... Mademoiselle Romaine LaCaux. But I was afraid people would think I named her after a salad green!

You might try pieces of dried meat. Whatever kind your Renoir is not allergic to. I have used dried turkey with Jennie. She LOVES it and will do just about anything to get some.

As for the humping... has he been fixed? That behavior may change once he is. If he has, it may be a dominance issue. That could mean either he thinks he is the top dog, or he lacks confidence and tries to use dominance behaviors to cover that. Some of the keys to which he has is... does he start staring contests with other dogs and keep at it until he wins? if so, he may think he is the alpha dog. If not, he may be insecure. At his age, I would think you need to work on his confidence. Does he steal or guard toys from other dogs? Does he mount both male and female consistently? If so, you may need help dealing with dominance issues. If not, you may need to work on his confidence.

In either case, I hope you will get the help of a professional dog trainer. I had a dog with dominance issues and tried to work it out on my own. Not a good idea...and not a good resolution for either me or her.

On a general issue, I have found with Jennie that a lot of love goes a long way with a Cocker. I am firm but fair and I don't let her get away with bratty behaviour, but I am never mean and would never use physical punishment such as hitting or threatening her. A firm 'naughty girl' is usually all it takes to get her coming back to me for apology and reassurance.

Enjoy your beautiful boy and keep the pictures coming. You'll find we all love to see snaps of other beautiful Cocker pups.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:19 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks Jenny, the small pieces of meat as a treat are a good recommendation. It is a bit of a hassle but would probably be worth doing.

As far as the humping goes, I think it is just natural puppy behavior. Renoir is super friendly with the other dogs. I had a female Gordon Setter, and when she was a puppy she wanted to jump all over the other dogs, too. Like Renoir, she was just very friendly. He shares balls with the other dogs and is very social.

He gets fixed in a couple of weeks and will probably outgrow it. As a guy, I can understand the urge, he is just a little less inhibited.

RLP - "Renoir L'artiste Profonde"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next