An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: ~Any Recommendations for an Airplane In-Cabin Dog Carrier?~
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:38 pm 
Active Forum Member

I'm looking to fly with Isabella this Christmas to visit my family a few states away. We made the drive last week to visit them for a get together, and it was just WAYYYYY too much driving, so when we visit them again, I think I'll opt for the convenience of a two hour flight vs. a 20 hour drive!!!! I absolutely will NOT put her in cargo, so I'm trying to figure out a way for her to fly in cabin underneath my seat.

Any recommendations for a carrier?
Bella is a little, yet solid 16-17 pound girl. Almost 13 inches height at the shoulders standing up, and neck to tail length is about 15 inches, roughly.
I'm looking at the sturdibag. Reviews say its flexible enough to fit under seats since it gives a lot. I was looking at the large sherpa in store, but it looked small to me.

Pictures appreciated too!

:hp Alex

Can't wait to be reunited with:
Finnaeus (Muffin) June 1998-June 2012

Post subject: Re: ~Any Recommendations for an Airplane In-Cabin Dog Carrie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm 
Recommended Breeder
 WWW  Profile

You can get a Sherpa Bag it will fit under the seat. You can get them from Amazon.com
Norris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:38 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

The Sherpa is a great bag! Sheila Vessar recommended them to me when I first planned to take Isabel along to Seattle. It has roll up sides for ventilation, handy pockets on the outside, good wheels and a padded pull strap. Issa was very comfortable riding in it (she was about 17-18 pounds). It's very sturdy, too. I checked my suitcase and kept only my essentials in the pocket of the Sherpa, so ALL I had with me in the cabin was the Sherpa. Bon voyage!

Forever in our hearts: Isabel, Joey and Bear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:38 am 
Active Forum Member

I once saw in a magazine the coolest carrier for planes!! the ends came out a little for in flight mode allowing for more room to stretch out. I am trying to find it online.... When I saw it I thought it would be perfect. However, I am one of the mean owners that make my dogs fly with the luggage. Don't judge me!! I have three little girls I have worry about on the plane and all their 'entertainment' under the seats. One day Max can come aboard with me!!!

Okay, I found it!!! http://sleepypod.com/air I don't know the price, or weight limit or anything, I just thought it was really cool!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:37 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks for the sherpa recommendations.

Jean- which size sherpa did you get? do you happen to have a picture of how you put Isabel in it? i was trying at petsmart- but bella didn't cooperate :raz

the airline rules say they should be able to stand up and turn around in their carrier, but not sure how thats possible at her size.

thanks again! look forward to your reply!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:02 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Hi, Alex! I got the large size carrier. I know the airlines say the dog must be able to stand up in the carrier, and obviously Isabel couldn't have done that with her head up. She could and did turn around in it, and the airline (much to my relief) didn't ever check. I got the bag well before our trip and left it in the living room, open. I opened up the top zipper flap and put treats inside for her to get out until she was comfortable with the bag itself. Then I gently lifted her into the bag and treated her (a lot!) while she was inside. Eventually I zipped the flap shut for awhile. Finally, I started giving her little rides around the house so she could get used to the motion. I can't say she loved it, but she accepted it, and when she was traveling, she felt secure inside the carrier. In the airport, I unzipped the top occasionally so she could peek out, and I petted and talked to her. She made some new friends when people noticed her.....In fact, the last trip we took together, I let her walk through the airport with me until we got to the boarding area. She helped me pick out a book to read in flight and hopped up in the seats to chat with some children. In flight, you have to keep the bag closed, but she slept the whole way anyhow. I didn't sedate her and I didn't give her any treats or water in flight, because I was concerned she might get nauseated if there was turbulence and vomit in the bag. My flights were about 3 hours, so she was in the bag for about 5 hours at a time. Of course, she was really ready to get out when we got there, but it was actually shorter than the amount of time she was without food at night. Our trips were very smooth (and fun!), and I'm so glad I had her along rather than trying to board her or even leave her with a friend.

Forever in our hearts: Isabel, Joey and Bear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:06 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Alex wrote:
I'm looking to fly with Isabella this Christmas to visit my family a few states away. We made the drive last week to visit them for a get together, and it was just WAYYYYY too much driving, so when we visit them again, I think I'll opt for the convenience of a two hour flight vs. a 20 hour drive!!!! I absolutely will NOT put her in cargo, so I'm trying to figure out a way for her to fly in cabin underneath my seat.

Any recommendations for a carrier?
Bella is a little, yet solid 16-17 pound girl. Almost 13 inches height at the shoulders standing up, and neck to tail length is about 15 inches, roughly.
I'm looking at the sturdibag. Reviews say its flexible enough to fit under seats since it gives a lot. I was looking at the large sherpa in store, but it looked small to me.

Pictures appreciated too!

:hp Alex

airlines only allow X number of pets to fly in cabin. your pet is counted as your carry on and charge for your pet to fly in cabin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:52 pm 
Active Forum Member

Marianne- i know that looks so neat! but its really only for small toy dogs :(

Jean, thanks for the recommendation/clarification. I'll have to give it another chance next time we're at petsmart. last time i was there and looked at it,though, the large looked REALLY small for her. wish they had an xl. Bella is 16-17 pounds, but maybe she's bigger than your Isabel? :dk also looking at the sturdibag. has some good reviews too, and its supposedly bigger.

Tricia- thanks, im aware of that. :) the airline i plan on flying (Allegiant) only allows 3 dogs max, I think. thanks for the reminder!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:13 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

I have the large sherpa too.I've used it for Amber who's 17 pounds. I've also used it for two Maltese at once... it squishes so ,it will fit into the thing they use to check carry ons and it easy to stow under the seat.

Try to book American Eagle Airlines,they have the largest undeseat storage and carrier allowance...weight ,max is 22 pounds so she should be fine.
I actually put my small Dell 10 inch mini in the one zippered pocket on the end...plenty of storage surprisingly....
Teh extra large is a little bigger,it squishes so as long as it fits into the guide thing they have,I wouldnt worry. If you live near an airport,ask if you can do a test fit w/ your fluff to see if it works.... I've never had them measure...

It's a little cramped but Amber,on her own and our other two fluffs who used it,did fine,plus once in the air,if it's ok w/ fellow passengers and the flight attendants,they will sometimes let you open up the carrier and let them on your lap or at least open the top zipper so they can poke their head up. I kept the leash on at all times and they were so nice they even served water and a snack to the fluffers...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

The sherpa has two zippered pockets on one end,great for storage. I put a Dell mini lap top in one pocket and I had meds to calm the fluffers down if needed. They did fine. If you use ACE or a mild sedative, try it at least a couple weeks before hand to see how they do ,so it gives you time to adjust the dosage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 pm 
Active Forum Member

thanks for the additional input, michelle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:25 pm 
Active Forum Member

Tried the large sherpa at the pet store today, and SUCCESS!!! She fits! Standing next to it, it looks way too small, but lying down, she is a perfect fit in there. She was such a good girl, and went in and lay down right when I asked her. The obedience training with sit and down was so helpful. Thanks for the recs! Now I'll either have to pick a color of sherpa or.... decide between that and the sturdibag, since they're both the same size. I like how the sturdibag comes in leopard, though, I have to admit! Perfect for my little diva! :neen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:35 am 
Forum Legend

Alex-
Did you travel for Thanksgiving, or is your travel date in the future yet? I just wondered if you managed any luck with the large Sherpa? :smch

I live in France and have a 6 mo. old boy named Oliver who weighs in at just over 17 pounds. I'll be headed back to the States for nearly 6 weeks in December, as I need to have some immigration paperwork processed at the French Consulate and I'll be visiting family for the holidays.

My plan all along has been to place him in the cargo hold in his carrier, but as my trip gets closer, the more I find myself wishing there was an alternative. Oliver isn't the biggest fan of his crate anyway, but spending 8 hours in the cargo hold of the plane seems so awful. I'd rather not subject him to the stress of flying at all, but the other solution would be to board him at my local vet's office for six weeks. Aside from it being incredibly expensive, he would only have his morning and evening walk, but spend the rest of the time in his cage. I think that sounds worse than spending time with me in America, even if it means an international flight.

Anyway, I'm not certain that he'll be able to turn around inside, so I just thought I'd see if you encountered any issues at the airport. To that end, has anyone else flown with a Sherpa and been ok?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:23 pm 
Active Forum Member

Moving a dog from state to state is not that much of a work than moving a dog from country to country. My friend left his dog to us because he has to leave the country for 8 months.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:47 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

I always thought the dog had to be able to stand and turn around in the crate/kennel, so I thought all cockers were too large to travel with passengers.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:49 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hey Adam!
No I'm sorry, I have not yet tried traveling with Bella on the plane. I haven't even decided on the carrier yet.

I'm still deciding between the sherpa and the sturdibag. I have tried the large sherpa in the local pet store, and Bella fit in it quite comfortably (but then again, at her full adult size, she is quite petite, weighing in at 14.8 pounds currently, about 13 inches at the shoulders when she's standing up and 15.5 inches neck to tail.) She couldn't quite stand up in it ( I think only a chihuahua would be able to), but she seemed comfortable, and not squished or anything, and if she needed to turn around, she could manage it.

Before deciding between the two, I'm waiting to see the Sturdi in person. I'm pretty sure I will go with the large Sturdibag, though, since a huge selling point for me is the flexible top, which gives more standing room than the sherpa, but flattens down under the seat in cabin. Whichever one I decide to get, I'm sure it will be some work to get her used to being in it, since she isn't a huge fan of her crate either

I won't be traveling with her until next year, possibly in January or February to visit family in Washington state.

I agree with Cospy. Your planned trip is quite longer than the trip I'll be making. My flight is just a little over two hours, each way, which is less challenging than an 8 hour trip.

Here's what I would recommend: I, personally, would avoid putting him in cargo, since it can be dangerous with the temperatures, especially in winter. I just couldn't justify the risk.
Get the measurements for the under-seat space with your airline, then go to your local pet-stores, and try out the carriers that meet those requirements (or at least come really close) and see if Oliver is comfortable in them. A great website that I would recommend is Dog Jaunt. It's a blog/guide for those wanting to travel with their dogs, and I have been learning a lot from it while planning for my travels with Bella. If I remember correctly, the blog author actually traveled to and from France with her Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (which, although smaller than a Cocker, might be close-ish in size to your 6 month old boy), so her experiences might be very useful for you.
Lastly, if you find that you just can't travel with him, perhaps you could ask a close dog-savvy friend or roommate to watch him while you're gone. Even if he couldn't be with you, he would at least be in a familiar environment instead of in a cage at the vets.

Hope you find this helpful. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions, and please keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Alexandra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:39 pm 
Active Forum Member

I have used both the large Sherpa bag to transport Paisley from Minnesota to Texas when she was almost 6 months old and the Sturdibag when she was almost a year when we flew back for a reunion/looza.
I liked them both. Paisley was under twenty pounds and fit comfortably in both bags. They both are flexible to fit under the seat. Hopefully others in your row won't use all of their space and you will have extra room. I will say that a 17-19 pound dog feels much heavier after carrying him/her around an airport :wink ! Good luck. By the way, be sure to check what your airline needs in the way of vet records. I had the required documents with me for all flights and was asked to produce them on one.

Attachments:
File comment: Pais is leaving on a jet plane!
phpXP9nDAPM.jpeg
phpXP9nDAPM.jpeg [ 91.23 KiB | Viewed 5892 times ]

KC, Chocolate Lab ~ 5/5/05
Cabo, Golden Retriever ~ 3/18/08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks for chiming in Lee!
How does Paisley fit into both bags now that she's full grown? Did you find that Paisley was more comfortable in one or the other? And can you speak for which one is of higher quality?

Thanks!
Alexandra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:38 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Tasha (1) and I have traveled the world, always together. First, get a seat assignment for a "bulkhead" seating, there is more legroom, they will NOT allow you to sit in the emergency exists. For international you will need health documents and follow closely the necessary requirement of the countries you are visiting. Airlines usually allow only two dogs in the cabin.

Call your airline, make sure it is noted in your reservation that your traveling with your dog. Be sure to have your dog micro-chipped, and your emergeny phone numbers, copies of all health letters, family cell/phone, tape them securely to the inside of the cage.

You will be "selectively" searched, secruity will not touch the dog, you will need to follow their instructions, they will search her cage.

have a safe trip!

Tasha 2.0 - American Cocker Spaniel - Chocolate
Ariel - Cat
Kito & Merlin - Africian Red Belly Parrots

Tasha, American Cocker Spaniel - Buff -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:02 pm 
Active Forum Member

Glagrow- what is bulkhead seating? Is that the aisle?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:24 pm 
Forum Legend

Thanks for all of your input on flying guys :-) It's been the plan for a while now, so I managed to get all of the necessary documents a while ago. Living in France, I'm able to have the pet passport for my little one, which makes everything so simple and kept in one place. Vaccination records, proof of rabies shots, microchip identification information, vet and emergency contact details, health certificate verifying that he is healthy enough to travel...I'm including a snapshot of the cover below. I just think it's fun...plus, it makes travel with him a lot easier.

I also made reservations with the airline several months ago, so they are aware that a pet is booked to fly with me. :sm

Honestly, there shouldn't be anything left to do...save for figure out how I'm getting him in that plane!

Alex, I've actually been discussing with Mary Alice from Dog Jaunt, so it's funny mentioned that site. You're right, she has traveled to Paris with her Cavalier. Seeing as Oliver is still growing and the large Sturdibag would be a tight fit (he wouldn't be able to stand either), I asked her about traveling with an extra-large size. This size isn't really recommended, but others have had success flying with it in the past...and if a gate agent were to theoretically ask me if Oliver can stand and turn around, there wouldn't be an issue in the XL. Nevertheless, it is daunting because you don't want to show up at the airport and be turned away for a different reason, an oversized bag.

She said if she were in my position, she would try it in an XL bag and hope everything works out. I ordered it a few days ago, and actually just received it today. I'm not going to lie, it's kind of enormous. I think ultimately I am going to risk it. I'm flying with United, who hasn't been able to confirm seat dimensions for me. They have told me that the bag needs to be 45 linear inches or less and can have a maximum length of 22 inches. The XL Sturdibag is 18 inches long, but the 22 inches in length could very well be to fit the overhead bin, as 18 inches is technically the maximum pet carrier size allowed.

It's a precarious position to be in, there's no doubt about that...but I don't want to leave Oliver in France for 6 weeks, in boarding or with a friend. I fly Tuesday, so I'll keep you all posted as to how it ultimately works out.

Adam

Attachments:
olivepassport.jpg
olivepassport.jpg [ 96.2 KiB | Viewed 5836 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:20 pm 
Active Forum Member

We had great success in-cabin with a Sherpa Flying back from London to Dallas (through Chicago). You can unzip the top section and let them stretch while technically "remaining in" the bag. Here's a picture of a UAL stewardess getting some kisses. He was a perfect flyer, not a sound and no accidents on either leg of the flight.
(Just thought you might want to know, the ATA "stand up/turn around" rule is for cargo hold-based kennel/crates)

Attachments:
File comment: Winston's Sherpa
Winston Sherpa.jpg
Winston Sherpa.jpg [ 98.27 KiB | Viewed 5814 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:34 pm 
Forum Legend

Adam wish for a safe trip. Are you having a direct flight? I figure it will be easier than multiple stops. I once took Holly to Puerto Rico and she went on cargo. Due to airline rules is the luck of the draw if when you get to the airport there is space for the dog even if you have a ticket. Also if temperatures are too cold or hot the dog will not be able to flight. Finally there is the different tops and the loading, unloading and loading into different planes if you have to change planes. That happened to me and luckily the airline placed a ticket on the crate that everytime she was load back to the plane where I was I will get a ticket that she was inside the plane. It was quite stressful. I think I will rather have her close to me in the cabin. hope you guys have a great trip. Where are you flying to?

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:07 pm 
Active Forum Member

Adam,
how did it go? Did the carrier work out for you?

Alexandra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:22 pm 
Forum Legend

Hey, guys, did you ever end up taking your trips?

I brought Cricket home in a Sherpa knock-off that I got at WalMart, their large size, for $20. It fit under the seat just fine. It weighs less than the other bags I looked at, which I think of as a plus. When I needed her to be in it, I put her bag on top of my rolling carry-on, pulling them together. She's just under 20 lbs. and 15 inches high at the shoulder. She curled up and went to sleep, loving her comfy bag!
Funny story, when we disembarked the flight attendant finally saw her in the bag, and exclaimed, "There's the dog that was on board! We couldn't figure out where she was!!"
I also took a small stainless water bowl for her, that came in very handy.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love