An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: blue eyed cocker
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:39 am 
Active Forum Member

The all breed rescue in our town has a cocker spaniel. Her tail has been docked and she's a little bigger than the ones we've had. Reading about the Coat colors on Zim site here, I think she may be a black and white parti merle. but her eye are not brown, blue maybe? is that a trail of merles?
thank you. I have been walking her once a week-she will soon be put up for adoption thru this rescue. I'm not sure if she is for us bec. she is really strong and pulls. I live with my mom whose 71 and she would be taking care of her during the day. She'd have go take her down steps to take her outside and she needs to be able to handle and not fall. Plus she wants a dog she can walk, too. So we are still undecided. We miss having a dog so much. I wrote on another post about wanting another one recently and we'd like to find a rescue cocker. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: blue eyed cocker
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:11 am 
Active Forum Member

Aww - she sounds sweet! My cockers can pull and they are strong. Don't give up on her for that though! Maybe a little training will help. So glad you are looking at rescues. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:08 pm 
Forum Legend

She sounds pretty. Pulling should not be an excuse for not getting a dog. If you truly want a dog (any dog) then you have to anticipate that it will need to be trained, and be willing to put forth the time to train it. Dog training classes make a dog so much more of a pleasure to own! In the meantime, there are special harnesses that will literally "rein-in" a dog that tends to pull.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:25 pm 
Forum Legend

Yes blue eyes indicate the dog is a merle. As for the pulling, yes training might help, but there is no guarantee. I have had dogs with obedience titles that still lived for pulling. If this dog is an adult I would be very concerned. If a puppy, then training might work.

Colleen K

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:55 pm 
Forum Legend

Colleen K wrote:
Yes blue eyes indicate the dog is a merle. As for the pulling, yes training might help, but there is no guarantee. I have had dogs with obedience titles that still lived for pulling. If this dog is an adult I would be very concerned. If a puppy, then training might work.

Colleen K

Adult or puppy, I think the most important thing attribute is whether the dog is empathic of the human. If they are empathic, they can be trained to not drag the human to the ground. Unfortunately, not all dogs are empathic (although I do believe most are).

Cherry UDX RE CGC R/W Parti DOB: 4/1/10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:03 pm 
Forum Legend

A helping hand is a muzzle harness to control the head. That's part of training. Very hard to break that pulling as it's inbred as a bird dog.

Enjoy safer, stress-free walks with the Gentle LeaderĀ® Headcollar

http://www.petsafe.net/gentleleader

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:08 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
A helping hand is a muzzle harness to control the head. That's part of training. Very hard to break that pulling as it's inbred as a bird dog.

Enjoy safer, stress-free walks with the Gentle LeaderĀ® Headcollar

http://www.petsafe.net/gentleleader

Joe

I remember with my previous cocker and going to a clicker training course with my dogs trainer. They also showed how that halter worked and it was amazing. They put that on a Great Dane that was deaf, it is hard to train a dog that was deaf and very willful and the owner was a petite female, and she was being dragged all over the place. They put her on stage with just a regular leash and collar, and I was sure glad I had a cocker, then they put that halter on, and I was impressed! My neighbor has a no pull harness for her silky terrier X, and I have never seen her being pulled by the dog, and when they rescued him he was a puller.
And then, I sure wish I had one last weekend when walking Snickie, I had 3 wild turkeys walk across the street in front of us, don't know which one I hated the most, the turkeys or the dog. There was no way she was going to listen to me, she was out to get the turkeys, :run and me with 2 hands on the leash being dragged across the street.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:09 am 
Active Forum Member

I'd definitely give a harness with a d-ring in the front a try. Easy Walk harness is good. :)