Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: help?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

Dear Friends,
I'm sad to say we lost both our Cockers this summer. Spencer was 15 and had been going thru some things and not doing well in the time leading up to when he crossed the bridge on 6-2-17. Then, we lost little Fletcher, age 9, on July 4th. He had heart and lung problems, but we were not expecting to lose him when we did. It was heartbreaking. We haven't been in a hurryto look for another dog. It has been the worst time, but I feel empty not having someone to love. I would like to get another rescue to honor Fletcher, but quite honestly, I think I need to get one that is going to be healthy for a little while at least. I did everything for Spencer and Fletcher and we went through a lot of stuff with the vet for the last 2-3 yrs so I I just want to enjoy the next dog we get at least in the beginning. I am not opposed to getting a senior dog, don't get me wrong, but just want to be happy for a while and not worrying so much. With all that said, I live in N. Carolina. If I couldn't find a rescue, I would like to find someone that is true to the Cocker Breed. Not about money, not a backyard breeder. someone that cares about the dogs and only has cocker spaniels and doesn't intentinally mix them with poodles, etc. I know there are good breeders out that ,but I have no contacts and wondered if you guys could suggest anyone. I'd like to get a chocolate and white parti boy like fletcher if I could get any color I could wish for. I can drive out of state and would to go meet them. any suggestions? we don't have any dogs now, just one cat. My mom really doesn't want a puppy, but it doesn't matter to me. We would love it so much and give it the best home, I promise, if you know of any dogs out there.

Post subject: Re: help?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:10 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Lora,
It is very tough to lose one beloved pet, but to lose two so close together is truly awful. The American Spaniel Club has a Breeder Referral list: http://www.asc-cockerspaniel.org/index. ... eders.html . The person to contact is
Linda Donaldson,
ASC Breeder Referral Chairperson
103 Mariners Cove
Hodges, SC 29653-8500
dalin_one@yahoo.com
(864) 456-5880

The American Spaniel Club Foundation has the rescue group information:
http://www.asc-f.org/content/rescue-groups-state-0

A good way to meet breeders is to attend dog shows. Infodog is a good site for checking where dog shows are being held.
You can search by state: http://infodog.com/show/state_show_details.htm?state=nc

I hope this helps,

Colleen K

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 pm 
Forum Legend

I just ran across this post on Facebook if you're interested:

http://www.cockerspanielrescue.com/dogs/3961/panda

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:26 am 
Active Forum Member

First of all, I want to say how sorry I am for your loss. I can't even imagine...

I am not an expert by any means, but I did just rescue a 10 year old cocker from a local rescue group. He is awesome! I recently joined Facebook because I wanted to start following the various cocker rescue groups. There are so many sweet cockers out there needing homes. Whenever I look at Buddy I feel thankful we "saved him". So, I highly recommend rescuing one.

Do you know of any local cocker groups near you? I do know of a great one that deals mostly in northern Florida and the southern states. If you'd like I can give you more info on who to contact. She has connections and may even know if there is a reputable group near you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:29 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you everyone for the information. I did contact some of the Cocker Rescues, but on Labor Day weekend, we brought home the Cocker Girl that was at our no kill all breed rescue shelter in our town. We brought her home to "see how she has done," We had a great first day, then second day, had some rough spots, but now we are all getting better adjusted and she's here to stay! We love her. I will send pictures soon. thank you again!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

That is wonderful news! So glad you were able to find a new forever friend so quickly. Please, please post pictures... we'll be waiting impatiently to see your new baby. What's her name?

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:07 pm 
Active Forum Member

Lora in N. Carolina wrote:
Thank you everyone for the information. I did contact some of the Cocker Rescues, but on Labor Day weekend, we brought home the Cocker Girl that was at our no kill all breed rescue shelter in our town. We brought her home to "see how she has done," We had a great first day, then second day, had some rough spots, but now we are all getting better adjusted and she's here to stay! We love her. I will send pictures soon. thank you again!

Yay!!! So happy to hear that. Looking forward to pictures!!!