Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: A Truly Remarkable Dog
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:49 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Maxine's 6th Anniversary

It would be very easy to describe Miss Maxine by what she had BEFORE she came to us. She had suffered through 12 years of abuse and neglect. By the time we saw her picture standing in a shelter in Rhode Island with her head and tail both hanging, she was old, blind, had a back leg twisted with arthritis from her time being caged and also had a severe heart condition. We kept her name Maxine – we should have changed it to Phoenix for that girl truly rose from the ashes. To some degree, this is the split between Maxine and most people. Often we allow what happens to us as children (mom always loved you best) or teens (I didn't have a role model) or even young adults (I was cheated out of that reward) to define us. Maxine didn't care what had been - she knew there were things to enjoy, so she did. She knew she had a lot to do and so she just went about doing it. She claimed her spot in the pack, her place in the family, her role in the community, her glory in the cyber world of the Internet with the ease and joy of a pup. She became an author, instigator of “Dere Isabew” (http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... f=7&t=2842) I know people thought I wrote that for her but I truly didn’t. I can give you my word, all I did was channel her. Amazing as it may seen, when she left us six years ago we were at about 15,000 views on Dere Isabew, as of this writing we have topped at over 114,000! If you Google “Dere Isabew” that’s where you go. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, where Maxine and Isabel's windchime hangs, had a link to Dere Isabew for the full year following Maxine's death.

As many of you know, in her name several thousands of dollars was donated to rescues across the county, several older dogs in our neighborhood alone were adopted through people that knew her and even on vacation one year a woman approached us with her old, adopted dog stating she had adopted her after meeting Maxine years earlier - but she had never forgotten her. I have read about how she changed the way people thought, about the way people spoke of “unadoptable” dogs and how in some cases she actually changed relationships within families as people shared her stories. Maxine left her mark from New York to California. In her own quiet way she walked this earth, taught us many lessons and loved – as only a dog can love – with her whole heart and with forgiveness for what some “humans” did to her.

Maxine had great belief in the “Big One”. No….this was not MY belief; it was her’s. I saw it in the way she did all the funny and lovable things she did. There was a part of her that took whatever the Big One dished out with gentle trust and turned it all to gold. My grandfather used to say “it isn’t how you start a race that counts, it’s how you finish it”. My angel girl finished it with love, courage and gentleness. She was everything I hope to be one day.

After all these years I still miss her with a painful sense of loss. I thought it would lessen but it hasn't. I have come to realize it never will. I will never forget my girl, I will never stop missing her. There are no words for how deeply I still mourn her or how I rejoice that the Big One brought that incredible soul into my life and that of my family. We have forever been changed by a small cocker spaniel, banged around most of her life, who rose from what was to become all she could be. She made a difference. What more can any of us hope for?

My dear girl….how very much you are missed, and how very much you are still loved!

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

Post subject: A Truly Remarkable Dog
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:37 am 
Active Forum Member

Vickie,

You aren't the only one that misses Miss Maxine.

There are many of us in this community that feel the same way.

My she run free and easy over the Rainbow Bridge.

[color=#0000BF]Teddy (Tri) Our Prince DOB: 1/23/09 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (1/23/11)
Calvin - Our 2nd Prince DOB: 9/12/11 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (9/12/15) - RIP 9/25/16

Post subject: Re: A Truly Remarkable Dog
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:00 pm 
Forum Legend

I think when she left she took the heart and soul of this forum with her. It really hasn't been the same since!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:28 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Darra wrote:
I think when she left she took the heart and soul of this forum with her. It really hasn't been the same since!

I do agree.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:22 pm 
Active Forum Member

I wasn't on the forum when Maxine was around, but it sounds like she was quite the inspiration. I will google Dere Isabew when I have more time as I'm sure I'll get hooked.

Amazing how our cocker spaniels can touch our souls and change our lives. So glad Maxine was given the chance to do so. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:11 am 
I Rescue Cockers

morewineplease wrote:
I wasn't on the forum when Maxine was around, but it sounds like she was quite the inspiration. I will google Dere Isabew when I have more time as I'm sure I'll get hooked.

Amazing how our cocker spaniels can touch our souls and change our lives. So glad Maxine was given the chance to do so. Thank you!

My girl was truly a remarkable dog. I think you'll enjoy Dere Isabew.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:08 am 
Forum Legend

I still have a clear memory of where I was when I caught a glimpse of a post that read..... "Isabel I can see now...." I knew what that meant and started to sob.

Colleen Keough

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:43 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Colleen K wrote:
I still have a clear memory of where I was when I caught a glimpse of a post that read..... "Isabel I can see now...." I knew what that meant and started to sob.

Colleen Keough

:hp I'm still crying....I do not think I have ever been so affected by saying goodbye to a dog.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:54 pm 
Forum Legend

Man Saves Dog, Dog Saves Man

ichael Bosch of San Rafael, Calif., knew he had a loyal friend in his dog, Honey. But until Monday night, he didn't know he had a savior too.

The cocker spaniel was with Bosch when he backed out a little too far from his driveway, sending his SUV plunging 40 feet into a remote ravine. The vehicle landed on its roof, pinning 63-year-old Bosch inside.

"It was crushed pretty severely between the steering wheel and the stump that pierced the roof of the car and the dashboard," said Tim Thompson of the Marin County Sheriff's Department.

But after several hours, Honey was able to escape when Bosch managed to roll down a window and told the dog to go for help. She ran half a mile to neighbor Robin Allen's house.

"She was bringing me here," Allen said. "She was directing me."

By the time rescuers reached the scene, Bosch had been hanging upside down for more than six hours -- and his pulse was weakening. Honey saved his life just in time. Ironically, Bosch had recently saved hers when he adopted her from a shelter two weeks ago. He had been waiting for a cocker spaniel puppy for more than a year.

"She was brought in by her owner who couldn't continue to care for her, just couldn't afford to," said Sheri Cardo of Marin Humane Society.

By giving Honey a new home, Bosch gave himself a new lease on life.

Several weeks later Honey was hit by a car, sad end. 2005

Joe