An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Has anyone experience LARYNGEAL PARALYSIS in their cockers
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:30 am 
Forum Legend

Oliver has been diagnose with it. His left eye won't blink, left side of his face droops, collects food, walks like a drunken sailor, looks like the left legs aren't very coordinated. Pants awful in the evening as his breathing very restricted and labored. What I would give for eye and ear problems instead.

I was on vacation as this became a serious problem, he lost about 5 pounds, would not eat. His water intake was over two cups a day but back to normal now. So he must had this problem for years and none of the vets recognized it. Form UC Davis to the vets today.

I had made up my mine to treat his CUSHINGS then this happened.

Joe

Post subject: Re: Has anyone experience LARYNGEAL PARALYSIS in their coc
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:24 pm 
Active Forum Member

I don't have any experience with this. Just want to say I'm sorry for what your poor boy and you are going through. It sucks not to have answers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Sorry to hear this, Joe. How can you tell he had the problem for years?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:24 pm 
Forum Legend

To go along with things checking his heart one vet said something around four years ago that he must snore out loud. Not really as our other cockers really cut the logs. Don't remember what the vet said at the time but notice something wrong with his breathing.

After changing to other vets with his surgeries that heavy panting started and kind of made a joke out of it. Picking him up in the afternoon. After the last wort surgery using a local it was really bad!!! Took two our more hours for him to the catch his breath. I kept saying something was wrong!!!

His heavy panting got worst and is really bad in the evenings, today enough it makes you to go crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLRlnLT_tiA
Kind of what it sounds like but Oliver's is a lot louder.

Today his left side starting with his eye won't blink, the third eye lid kept it lubed his face drupes, about a 1/4 inch. Walks like a drunken sailor like a stroke. He stopped eating when I was on my trip back east as my wife thought he was going to die. He was in really poor shape, lost 4 1/2 pounds. What ever happened, he was on blood pressure pills at the time.

Most be the old dog in him. All the blood work did not show a thyroid problem. 1/2 CUSHINGS. Right now his is panting in the bedroom. Telling me their soup out there to eat.

Laryngeal paralysis is a progressive, degenerative disease that causes the larynx to lose its function. The main purpose of the larynx, also known as the “voice box,” is twofold: to open while letting air in as well as close to keep food out of the trachea…

DON'T FORGET HIS TRIP TO UC DAVIS THEY DIDN'T FIND IT THEN EITHER! As it was happening then!!!

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  YIM  Profile

IT IS CALLED HORNERS SYNDROME AND IS LIKE BELLS PALSY IN HUMANS LEO HAD IT ON BOTH SIDES AND WENT BLIND FROM IT NEEDS TO BE TREATED WITH STYROIDS!!!!!!! I POSTED AN ARTICLE ON LINE ABOUT LEO! https://fidoseofreality.com/health-condition-threaten

Attachments:
cocker_leo.jpg
cocker_leo.jpg [ 49.71 KiB | Viewed 715 times ]
cocker_cute.jpg
cocker_cute.jpg [ 46.08 KiB | Viewed 715 times ]

LEO White Lighter [Parti-SABLE]

Cockers: At The Rainbow Bridge...
Ch. Prince Tom's Sugar Crisp (Crispy),
Ch. Luc-Kee Prince Bondee, Taffee & Baron
Akita's: Sachi & Sake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:03 pm 
Forum Legend

With all other his other health problems the vet did notice one eye pupil larger than normal or one extra smaller, she never experience that before. This was the start of his down ward health problem before June. Then a possible stroke as my wife put it, as she thought he was on his death bed. He did not eat four a week but drank water. Lost five pounds. I was on the East coast with my son and grand son. When I got back I noticed his third eye lid was staying up and infected. His left legs are very weak. I figured it was possible brain tumor that causing his Cushings. His ears were never a problem. He can still hear and see. We are using lube on both eye's. Recommended by the vet. Well he is back eating and drinking as normal. Needs to be carried down the three steps but can climb back into the house.

I asked if they do autopsies? she yes, but not the brain as we could learn more about what is happening if things came to his end. Learn about his Cushings and his internals. They would send the head to UC Davis, I said no way.

He is our second oldest lived cocker.

Special thanks Tom. I'll call the vets tomorrow for a heads up.

Joe

Last visit the weak eye was slow in response to light as it seemed much better that several weeks ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:09 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Just an FYI our vet thought Leo had a brain tumor and wanted to put him down that was three years ago! Other than the fact he is blind from the Horner's he is a healthy happy playful pup and quite independent! We just cant move furniture with out letting him know! He does get ear infections easier than before though. I thought he had had a stroke when hit with the Horner's as his face was parallelized and he walked in circles....

LEO White Lighter [Parti-SABLE]

Cockers: At The Rainbow Bridge...
Ch. Prince Tom's Sugar Crisp (Crispy),
Ch. Luc-Kee Prince Bondee, Taffee & Baron
Akita's: Sachi & Sake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:55 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Our Ginger had Horners Syndrome. One side of her face was paralyzed, food and water fell out of her mouth on that side, eye couldn't blink. She did fully recover from it though and did not loose her sight or anything. Took a bit for it to go away though. I know some get it much worse though.

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:10 pm 
Forum Legend

Don't think it's Horners Syndrome has to had been a stroke caused by the stress of CUSHINGS. Homers doesn't effect walking right?

Joe