An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Help!!POTTY TRAINING.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:47 pm 
Active Forum Member

This is my eighth cocker in my lifetime. Can Not potty train. She was three and half months old when I got her and the breeder obviously did not house train. She is six months now and has not gone one day without accidents. Yes, accidents/ plural! She gets thru eight hours or more at night in her crate but can not do it during the day. I take her out all the time and she will come in and do it. I have a life time supply of clorox wipes. She is only allowed in the kitchen because of it. HELP!

Last edited by jeanie on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Help!!POTTY TRAINING.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:26 pm 
Forum Legend

If she's going potty in the house, she cannot have her freedom without supervision. What I did when Gromit was a puppy was to put her in an ex-pen when she wasn't supervised. When I first got her, I literally taped pee pads to the entire floor inside the pen. As she got a little older, I removed more and more until only one remained. She also had her food, water, a bed, and chew toys in there. It was right in the living room, so she was near us, but did not have free rein. Usually, dogs will go to a far room or corner or behind or under something to potty, and keeping her in the pen limited this. Within a few weeks, she didn't use the pad at all. If she was out, she was right with me, not allowed to wander the house. Others have recommended actually leashing the dog to you in the house. I didn't need to do that, but have heard it's very successful with older dogs who weren't properly trained as pups. I also took her out frequently and walked her until she did her business. Teaching her to potty on command was a big help, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:52 pm 
Active Forum Member

Will try that. She poops and pees in crate and also when I bring her in from outside. Is it cruel to keep a six month old in crate all the time. I have put her in a lot during the day but feel guilty.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:25 pm 
Forum Legend

I dont believe in keeping puppies in crates except to sleep or for their safety. That's why I preferred the ex-pen. She needs lots of play time and exercise...a tired puppy is a good puppy, and a mentally stimulated puppy is less likely to look for ways to get into trouble!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

I agree. Too much crate not a good thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:01 am 
Active Forum Member

I completely agree with Darra's recommendations. I used an expen with Jennie and put a blue tarp underneath it so I didn't have to worry about urine soaking into the wood floor.

Also, when she does go outside reward her with tons of praise... have a party :Dance ... tell her she is the best girl in the whole world. You need to make the attention she gets for going outside bigger and better than the attention she gets for going inside. For a young dog, any attention is better than no attention. I used to take Jennie out to a designed area in the back yard and tell her to 'go pee'. When she did, we had our party. Until she did, we just stayed in that one spot, which was very boring to her. So she got 2 rewards for going, the party and a chance to explore other parts of the yard.

Good luck!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:43 am 
Active Forum Member

How big is her crate? How are you cleaning it (and the floors) when she's had an accident?

Normally, dogs learn to keep their sleeping quarters clean from their dam. If they havent, then housebreaking is a MUCH harder process. Not impossible, but much harder. I would make sure that the crate is small. big enough to stand in and turn around but not much bigger than that.

Take it apart, and wash it with soap and water, then DOUSE it with nature's miracle and let it dry in the sun. You may need 2 kennels to rotate them in case of accidents. Do this EVERY time she has an accident in the kennel. and - give the dog a quick bath as well. be sad, not mad. Yuck, so sad to be dirty. When she's clean, be Obviously happy. Oh, isnt it GREAT to be clean! You want her to learn that the smell of pee on/near her is icky.

do the same for your floors. dry with a paper towel and then saturate with nature's miracle and allow to air dry. You might even want to mop the entire house with nature's miracle at this point to ensure that the floors do not smell at all like pee.

Then, diligently, when taking out of the crate, pick puppy up and carry outside and put a leash on. This lessens chances of peeing on the way to outside. Stand quietly until she's done her business and then be very enthusiastic in your praise. A yummy treat my help (or may be a distraction - you'll have to decide for your dog). If she goes, she may have SUPERVISED time inside attached to a lightweight string/rope/leash with the other end attached to your wrist or belt. Supervised means you're watching her. not doing dishes or watching tv etc. play together, snuggle, etc after 1hr, go outside again.

If she goes outside, more praise and more playtime. If not, quietly without comment, back in her crate. Give a kong or something else to do. wait 30min and then try again. If she goes, she can stay out with you. If not back in the crate.

If you cant watch her, then into the crate she goes. If the phone rings, pick her up (so she cant pee while you're distracted) and stick in the crate. or, take her outside and go talk outside while you watch her.

The goal is to prevent accidents and baring that, catch in the act so you can reprimand. And, I do reprimand. No rubbing noses etc but a firm NO WE DO NOT PEE INSIDE! swiftly pick up and take outside.

make sure she's getting lots of interaction when she's outside of her crate. plenty of walks. Take her to new places as often as possible - even if its just the next neighborhood over from you. Always praise when she goes outside.

It will be alot of crate time and its not ideal, but dogs do not housebreak themselves and the longer it goes on, the more ingrained it is and the harder it is to fix. Lack of proper housebreaking often causes dogs to be rehomed so put in the work now and fix it.

as she gets better, stretch the time slowly but learn her limits. For instance, my current foster Princess can go 2h when out of her crate. and for some reason, after dinner, when I'm putting kids to bed, she's been known too sneak off to pee in the girls' room. So, after dinner I make sure she goes outside. If she cant for some reason like pouring rain, I put her in a crate till she can.