An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: I have a dilemma
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:32 pm 
Forum Legend

I have been pet sitting this Cocker for the last year on and off. Recently I kept her for more than a month after her owner gave birth. I returned her to her owners and after a week she came back to me as she slightly bit one of the kids(no wrong doing on her part as per my opinion)feeding a dog is not a 2 year old task. I went and took her back for a few days then again another incident as a child unlock the room where she was and confront her, she end biting the child no telling what he did to her or not. Well I have her again. I am heartbroken as she is so good when she is with me, she still is so well behave considering she will be 12 years old. She is so calm and collected except when she gets freak out by shapes when we walk. I walk her about 4 times a day thing she does not get at her home. She is calm and I have no complains. She is housebroken, eats well, has no accidents, does not get into anything. We have a set routine and is only me and her. It blew my mind why she will act like that in her home. I know she does not get to be socialize or walk and in top of that there are 3 kids under 4 with a newborn in the picture. I don't know what to do as I am getting attached to her but at the same time know she needs to be wit her owner who loves her dearly but is so busy with all her kids, work and life.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

Post subject: Re: I have a dilemma
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:08 am 
Active Forum Member

At her age maybe the kids are overwhelming her. If it was me; I would offer to keep her and give the family visiting rights. What happens if she bites one of the children badly? I would be scared that she would be put down.
You mention in your post that when you walk her, she'll startle at shapes. Could there be a problem with her sight and the kids are scaring her and so she bits out of fear?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:11 am 
Active Forum Member

I agree that you should try to keep the her, because the the small children are doing something to provoke the bits.

At 12, this fur baby is moving slower and startled by what the young children are doing.

Her sight also may be going at 12.

What happens if she bits the newborn?

Visitation for the family is appropriate.

If this is not a solution for her family, offer to take her if and when something worse, a serious bit, might happen.

How far away is this family to you? Can you take her for a walk on a regular basis?

She is lucky to have you in her life!!!

[color=#0000BF]Teddy (Tri) Our Prince DOB: 1/23/09 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (1/23/11)
Calvin - Our 2nd Prince DOB: 9/12/11 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (9/12/15) - RIP 9/25/16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:38 am 
Forum Legend

I agree with the above replies. I would also try to educate them about cockers. They can be sensitive with kids and they like calm environments. My Cici is the same and she is younger. This cocker is older, so she might not be able to adjust as well. The family already has a lot on their plate, so if you say they can see her, they might understand that it is a win win situation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:39 pm 
Forum Legend

I'd ask the owner if you can keep her. If mom ever has a moment without the kids (i.e., they get to stay with dad for an afternoon) she can come over and visit. I think you'd be doing mom a favor - it's just whether she is willing to admit she doesn't have time for her anymore.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:30 pm 
Forum Legend

I think that many of us anticipated this becoming a problem or at least a "story" by the owner trying to find an excuse to not have her around anymore. Just sad and wish she would have been honest. Keep her. Not sure I would give visitation as that only would confuse her and the owners need to show you they earn the right. Maybe they should just go raise the kids and wait for a new pet when the kids are old enough to be responsible.
Yea for you.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I think the issue is what is best for the dog, not the people, and we all know the best home for her is with you. It is destiny that she become yours!

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:00 am 
Active Forum Member

I also agree that you should offer to take her. On the fence about visiting rights. Please let us know what happens!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:39 pm 
Forum Legend

update: Mollie has been with her owners doing all right. I took her back just before her birthday at the end of april. I just got her back this weekend as they were going out of town. she has done great, no biting and behaving well. She is used to the new baby and there has not been any other incidents. I am having her this week, she is a good company. For 12 she is doing well. Glad she is doing well I really love her and wish her to be able to get adjusted.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

Post subject: I have a dilemma
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:35 am 
Active Forum Member

May,

Thank you for the update.

We know that you will do the best for Molly and make sure that she is well taken care of.

Love her all you can.

[color=#0000BF]Teddy (Tri) Our Prince DOB: 1/23/09 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (1/23/11)
Calvin - Our 2nd Prince DOB: 9/12/11 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (9/12/15) - RIP 9/25/16

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:07 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks for the update. Glad she is doing better. :love

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:35 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

I am glad she is doing well now. At her age, it would also be advisable to get her checked by a vet to make sure she isn't having any low level pains like arthritis that may make her react a lot quicker than she would otherwise.

Mum to Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel), Skye (English Cocker Spaniel) and Blake (Saluki Lurcher). RIP Troy and Dylan!