An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Merry Christmas!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:17 pm 
Active Forum Member

As a follow-up to my vaccinations post in the Caring for your Cocker section, I wanted report that I got the results from Hemopet and Ruger had very good levels for the parvo and distemper titers. Yay! So no unnecessary shots for him except the 3 yr rabies vaccine. Thank you all for your input on my situation.

I could've posted the results there, but I started a new post here mainly to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the wonderfully kind and helpful members here. :hp So glad Jim is keeping this forum open. Below is a pic of Ruger and one with his brother and sister.

Attachments:
Ruger resized.jpg
Ruger resized.jpg [ 77.67 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
Christmas pic rotated.jpg
Christmas pic rotated.jpg [ 109.55 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]

Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:07 pm 
Active Forum Member

Merry Christmas to you! Your pups are adorable and I'm happy that Ruger's titers came out so well.

Jennie had her first visit with the vet since we moved. It went very well and she seemed to like him, but then she has liked almost every person she has ever met. They reviewed her shot records and agreed with my former vet that she can now be on a 3 year schedule for almost everything. As we approach that marker (2 1/2 years from now) I'll be looking to get titers done before agreeing to any non-statutory shots.

Have a wonderful holiday and remember... starting today, every day is getting a little bit longer! :joy

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:41 pm 
Active Forum Member

SusanT wrote:
Merry Christmas to you! Your pups are adorable and I'm happy that Ruger's titers came out so well.

Jennie had her first visit with the vet since we moved. It went very well and she seemed to like him, but then she has liked almost every person she has ever met. They reviewed her shot records and agreed with my former vet that she can now be on a 3 year schedule for almost everything. As we approach that marker (2 1/2 years from now) I'll be looking to get titers done before agreeing to any non-statutory shots.

Have a wonderful holiday and remember... starting today, every day is getting a little bit longer! :joy

Thanks Susan! That's great Jennie's visit went well and that they agree with the 3 yr schedule. Much more reasonable than annually, however, it'll be even better if you're able to get titers. I'm so glad I went that route. I'll probably get them every three years.

It's tough finding a new vet. While my current vet is fine, I sometimes think about changing. My vet agreed to do the blood draw for the titers, but I sent it off to Hemopet myself. They use a more expensive lab, but tittering isn't something they suggest. I brought it up and said I wanted it done.

Cute that Jennie likes everybody. Ruger is leery of strangers, very protective. It takes awhile for him to warm up to people, must have been something about his background which we know nothing of. But there are some people he is drawn to immediately like my disabled sister. He loves her! And she loves him. So cute.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Hope you have a wonderful holiday too!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:12 am 
Active Forum Member

Good to hear that no more unnecessary shots. Merry Christmas to you all

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:13 pm 
Forum Legend

What a good-lookin' group of pups! I hope Santa was good to all. Merry Christmas. Golly, I miss my cocker.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:01 pm 
Forum Legend

Merry Christmas to you all.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you all! Ruger says thanks too. Have a wonderful new year!

Attachments:
IMG_4105.JPG
IMG_4105.JPG [ 64.43 KiB | Viewed 842 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:24 pm 
Active Forum Member

Our first cocker rescue had lots of autoimmune stuff going on, through research we learned about using titers vs vaccines. With our current cocker, Lady we did pu9ppy shots and have done titers since. Other than rabies she has only had a few boosters and she is 9. I am glad you found a vet that supports titers.

Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:39 pm 
Forum Legend

Ruger is just too adorable!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:44 pm 
Active Forum Member

TiffanyW wrote:
Our first cocker rescue had lots of autoimmune stuff going on, through research we learned about using titers vs vaccines. With our current cocker, Lady we did pu9ppy shots and have done titers since. Other than rabies she has only had a few boosters and she is 9. I am glad you found a vet that supports titers.

Happy New Year!

Thank you Tiffany! That's good to know about your experience with titers. Glad Lady is doing well with titers rather than unnecessary vaccines. My vet wasn't that supportive of me, he agreed to do them, but kind of questioned me about why I wanted to. In a thread I just posted on the Caring for your Cocker section, I mentioned how yesterday I found a new vet that combines traditional and alternative medicine. So, while I took Ruger to her for allergy and itching issues, we also discussed titers and she is very understanding and supportive of them. Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:47 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
Ruger is just too adorable!!!

Thanks Cici's Mama!

Ruger says thank you too!

Attachments:
phpKKL8V3PM.jpg
phpKKL8V3PM.jpg [ 84.6 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]