An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Been a LONG time....sad news....Update..Pg2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:07 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I used to be one of the regulars on here but it has been a very long time since I stopped in. For any of the old timers here I thought I would post an update, as we got some very bad news on Friday.

My little Maya has been diagnosed with Lymphoma. She had been acting totally normal (except for a bout of loose stools) but Wednesday evening I thought she just looked odd as she was laying on the couch. I went over and started feeling her face/neck and was terrified when I realized I could feel several lymph nodes on both sides of her neck. Went online and then discovered swollen lymph nodes in her chest and back legs also. I knew in my heart it was bad news. Got her into the vet on Friday (Thursday was Thanksgiving...worst I have ever had) and sadly my fears were diagnosed. As of now her blood work is normal so it is not affecting any organs and other than seeming slightly more tired than usual she seems totally fine, playing and eating well. Vet had put her on Metronidazole for the diarrhea (and now she hasn't pooped since midnight Friday night, but she isn't trying to go yet either so hopefully that is ok - I did call the vet this morning about that).

As far as the treatments, I feel like the worse pet owner ever as I really don't know how we would swing thousands of dollars of chemo treatments. The veterinary Oncologists are three hours from here so besides the cost, the distance and the amount of trips to the vet really aren't an option. We have opted to try Prednisone which we will pick up today as the diagnoses came in late Friday and the vet was closed on Saturday. I feel like I have failed her. I realize there is no cure but chemo would most likely buy her more time with us. I am so not ready to let her go, she is 10 and I thought I would have a good 5 more years with her!

So now it is all about Maya....she loves walks in the woods which we don't do as often as we should. We walk daily but not usually in the woods. These are from Saturday.

ImageIMG_6048a by rzyg, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6010ac by rzyg, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5996ac by rzyg, on Flickr

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06

Last edited by Donna in WI on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Been a LONG time....sad news....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:33 am 
Forum Legend

Donna....

I'm so sorry for your bad news about Maya.... she is one of my favorites. I've always enjoyed your pictures of your crew and still remember Maya climbing the tree. I can't imagine the heartbreak you are going through right now... especially about the hard decisions you must make for Maya's care. I pray that the time you have left with her she will continue to enjoy the activities she loves best. Know that you have not failed... you are giving her the very best you can each and every day... that's all any of us can do.

My heart goes out to you....

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

Post subject: Been a LONG time....sad news....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:54 am 
Active Forum Member

Donna,

Sorry for the sad news.

We had this happen to us back in September. Our Calvin, only 5, was diagnosed with bladder cancer on Saturday morning, September 24th. By Sunday night, we had to put him down.

On Saturday morning, our choices from our vet was to make him comfortable for the six months he had left. He was going to give us a drug, I don't remember what, that the vets had success with in reducing the tumors. I hope you can get a similar drug for Maya.

We never got the chance to give our Calvin the drug.

May you have a chance to have more time with Maya. Cherish all the days you have.

We didn't have enough with our Calvin, only 378 days.

Good luck

Louis

[color=#0000BF]Teddy (Tri) Our Prince DOB: 1/23/09 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (1/23/11)
Calvin - Our 2nd Prince DOB: 9/12/11 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (9/12/15) - RIP 9/25/16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:27 am 
Forum Legend

Sorry to hear the sad news.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:58 pm 
Forum Legend

Oh Donna I am sadden about your news. I also don't post much but lately I have been checking in all old members postings. Its heartbroken to see Maya sick. Please be positive, don't beat yourself up about not taking her to an oncologist and treatment. You are a great owner. I miss your snow pictures and bird pictures. Maya always playing in the snow. Enjoy her as much as possible. Nobody knows how long she has, so enjoy every minute. And remember she always be with you in every shape or form and when the time comes her sister Ginger will be there to welcome her.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:43 pm 
Active Forum Member

As another long-time and former regular, I wish you peace with whatever decision you make. We went through a similar situation back in 2005 with Barkley. It's not an easy decision, but sometimes it's also just out of our hands. Sending heartfelt good wishes.

--------------------
At the Bridge:
Barkley ~ 10/26/05
Elmo ~ 11/26/14
Cleo ~ 03/10/15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:53 am 
Forum Legend

I am so sorry to hear about Maya. It's a heartbreaking diagnosis. Please don't beat yourself up -you haven't failed her. Just look back at all of the wonderful pictures you've posted of her through the years and you'll see what a lucky cocker spaniel she is to have been loved by you. And she'll continue to be a lucky cocker spaniel for however long she has left, because she knows you will love her and take care of her until it's time for her to run free.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:11 am 
Forum Legend

Donna:
It is good to hear from you, but what terrible news. I'm so sorry. Maya will be a big loss, I know. Your cocker group has entertained us for years. It doesn't matter how old our babies get, something like this is still a shock. Enjoy every day with her...I know you will.
I would be concerned that she hasn't pooped for several days, especially if she is eating.

You and the girls are in my thoughts and prayers. :hp :sad

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:23 pm 
Forum Legend

Donna,

I am so sorry to hear the sad news about Maya. :cry I received the "six month" diagnosis for our dear Moonbeam. She started with IMHA, which was the catalyst for cancer. She started with her ear and then progressed.

With this type of diagnosis, we had no choice but to take wonderful care of our girl. Give all the love that there is and most of all make her life happy and comfortable. With this diagnosis, I decided to take all the pictures of Moonbeam that I could possibly conjure up. We now have our photo memories of our sweet, wonderful little girl.

I swear that she sent us a "postcard" after her passing. Just a little subtle message that told us that she was alright being at the Rainbow Bridge. She was now pain free from the cancer.

Take care of yourself as well....your heart and your love of Maya will help you.

Hugs,
Dawn

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:50 pm 
Active Forum Member

Oh my goodness. I have tears in my eyes...

I'm relatively new here, but just want to say how sorry I am. My heart breaks for you. Maya is beautiful. So sorry she is going through this, as are you, but at least you are by her side. (((Hugs)))

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:41 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I still cannot believe this is happening. I feel like I am walking around in a foggy nightmare. I am thankful for the thousands of pictures I have of Maya having fun. I know she had a good life but I am so not ready for her to leave yet.

We started the prednisone on Monday evening and so far so good. Oh and she did poop finally Monday afternoon and has been pooping normally since. Her lymph nodes have gone down, not back to normal as I can still feel them but they have gone down quite a bit. So far Maya is feeling good but does have her good and bad moments. Sometimes she is all happy and playing and then she will be lying down ignoring things, I am sure she is just tired out. Not sure if this is a side effect of the Pred or just the cancer. I don't really see any side effects of the Pred yet (not sure if they can pop up at any time or what though) other than drinking more. Not sure how long we will be on a higher dose of Pred before they try to lower it. I have the high dose at least until the 15th and then he wanted to reaccess things. I am terrified that if we lower it (which I know we have to) the lymph nodes will swell back up.

We still go on our walks but I just watch her to make sure we aren't overdoing it. We used to walk 3-4 miles a day (broken into two walks) but now it has been around 1-2 a day. She still seems to love the walks. We don't have any snow yet, had a little but it all melted. It has been a very mild winter. I so wish Maya could go catch some frogs one more time (too cold now for frogs though), her all time favorite thing was to frog hunt on our walks. Often frogs would come up from the ponds we walk by and sit on the paved path. OMG she was simply in heaven when she could catch one and carry it around, then spit it out and catch it again. Most of the times the frog would get away however sometimes she played with them a bit too much. She had slowed down on her tree climbing as she is 10 and was starting to slow down a bit. I was always afraid she was going to hurt herself jumping out of that tree in the backyard after chasing a squirrel up it but thankfully she never did.

This was from one of her frog hunts in Sept....
ImageIMG_9206 -1ac by rzyg, on Flickr

Took this On Wednesday..
ImageIMG_6383 -1a8c by rzyg, on Flickr

and just a few more from this fall...

ImageIMG_3473ac by rzyg, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3900pc by rzyg, on Flickr

our Halloween photo this year. (we won $100 from Best Bullysticks)
ImageIMG_1608b by rzyg, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0253 -1a5c by rzyg, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:06 am 
Forum Legend

She is so beautiful. I've enjoyed looking at pictures of your babies for 3 years now. I search the forum to find them. Thank you for the pictures. Celebrate your time together. She is resilient and has no time to be sad...she is just enjoying her french delicacies!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:52 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Donna, I am very sad to hear this news. I also have enjoyed your beautiful pictures of your crew. Maya knows how much she is loved by her entire family, which is yours in WI but also this entire forum. Congrats on the BBB Halloween pic, they are beautiful witches! We are all here for you.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:58 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm a long time regular too and I remember all your lovely dogs very well. Praying that the prednisone will help her! :hp

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:03 pm 
Active Forum Member

I've read and re-read your post and I tear up each time. I hope the prednisone is helping. I think it is so neat that Maya would catch frogs! I guess I'm an overprotective mommy. My Ruger doesn't catch frogs, but he is infatuated with lizards. Whenever he tries to get one I try to stop him as I'm afraid he'll eat it, and not sure what consequences that will have. And I'm sure if I let Ruger go, he'd climb up a tree after a squirrel too. Sounds like your girl has had an adventurous life.

She is really beautiful, as are all your dogs. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pics. The trio of witches is hilarious, as is the one with the frog in her mouth. And the one of her surrounded by the Christmas lights is precious and touching especially at this time of year. So neat that two of your cockers have two different colored eyes. I assume that is unusual?

I hope you and Maya are doing well during this difficult time. Sending hugs your way...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:29 am 
Active Forum Member

I am so saddened to hear of Maya and her diagnosis. It is never an easy thing to accept, and don't feel bad on not being able to do treatments; I had a neighbor do treatments for her dog with lymphoma and spent thousands, only to extend the dogs life a couple of months. My niece had a six month old puppy who was diagnosed with it, and nothing in this world was going to save that pups life. We all hope our pups are going to be with us into their old age, but unfortunately that doesn't always happen. Just be thankful you had 10 good years with her, hug her as much as you can in the time that you have left with her. Many hugs and prayers for you..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:55 am 
Forum Legend

Donna I am so sorry to hear about little Maya. I know you have given her a wonderful life,
Becky

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:28 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. Thought I would do an update on how Maya is doing.

She was on Prednisone 5mg 2x per day and had been on Metronidazole initially for the diarrhea. Once off the Metronidazole though she started with softer stools and then it went to diarrhea again so back on the Metronidazole, lower continuous dose. Her nodes did reduce in size from the prednisone but nowhere near back to normal. About 2 1/2 weeks in, I started her on tumeric paste. Evening of day two on the paste, her nodes reduced significantly and have continued to go down. Some I can no longer feel anymore. Only those in her neck do I think I still feel. We reduced her pred dose ( a week and a half ago) from 2x per day to 1x a day and her nodes have stayed down. I have also started a probiotic, an immune strengthener and changed her to a higher protein/lower carb food. Treats are only boiled chicken. When we reduced the pred dose you could visibly see the change in her, she was so much more comfortable and happy. She has continued to do well. She has always been a table surfer/food stealer and she has amped that up a notch. We have to be very careful as sugars and carbs are very bad for those with cancer. I have no clue how long we will have with her yet but I am hoping for a long time. We never saw an oncologist to see what type or what stage of lymphoma she has but hopefully it is non aggressive and will lie low for a long time to come.

ImageIMG_8144ac by rzyg, on Flickr
Christmas day on her pile of presents.

ImageIMG_8269ac by rzyg, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: Been a LONG time....sad news....Little Update..
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

Donna, thank you for the update on Maya!!! What good news. I give my girls turmeric pasta also known as golden paste. Turmeric has so many benefits and I am so happy to hear it is helping your girl!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:01 pm 
Active Forum Member

Donna,

What a happy update! Glad to hear that Maya is doing a little better and that the turmeric paste, etc. is helping. That's fantastic! Just curious, how did you know to try the turmeric? I know it's beneficial but didn't know you could make a paste with it. Online research? I'm assuming your vet didn't recommend it unless he/she is holistic. I'm all for trying alternative therapies. Hope it continues to help her heal!!

Thanks for posting pics of her too. So good to see her with her Christmas presents. Such a beautiful dog. Hugs to you and give her one for me please!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:19 am 
Forum Legend

Donna, this is wonderful news! I didn't know about the Turmeric (I take it for back pain, but perhaps not enough).
Happy New Year to you all!

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:47 am 
Forum Legend

Both are short videos on Turmeric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3qTQebPltA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPShg4XLo18

By adding ground black pepper to it, it multiplies the magic powder power.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:21 pm 
Active Forum Member

I am sorry to hear about Maya, but happy to hear she is doing well. I personally find that a mix of conventional and natural treatments work for us. Sending good thoughts for Maya. I love the pictures of your pups.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:03 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you for the heartwarming and happy update. So glad for you and Maya!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:53 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

morewineplease wrote:
Donna,

What a happy update! Glad to hear that Maya is doing a little better and that the turmeric paste, etc. is helping. That's fantastic! Just curious, how did you know to try the turmeric? I know it's beneficial but didn't know you could make a paste with it. Online research? I'm assuming your vet didn't recommend it unless he/she is holistic. I'm all for trying alternative therapies. Hope it continues to help her heal!!

Thanks for posting pics of her too. So good to see her with her Christmas presents. Such a beautiful dog. Hugs to you and give her one for me please!!

So sorry it has taken so long to answer your question. When I heard of the diagnosis I joined a bunch of groups on FB and got soooo much information thrown at me on what to try, what to do. For just a bit I did nothing as really there are a lot of different things to do and I couldn't process anything. However the tumeric struck me as something I had heard before and I decided to go with that one. Tumeric alone really doesn't do a whole lot as it is not water soluble. This is the recipe for the paste, boiling it breaks it down and the coconut oil and fresh ground pepper are to make it more easily absorbed.

Turmeric must be consumed with some form of fat or oil in order to be absorbed. It is not water soluble and will simply be eliminated if no fat is present. Adding freshly ground black pepper extends the time that it's active in your body.
We strongly suggest using turmeric in the form of Golden Paste, as it includes all the ingredients that make turmeric both well absorbed and bioavailable.
To prepare Golden Paste:
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup (65-70g, or about 2.6 oz dry weight) turmeric powder
1-2 cups (250-500ml) water (use half the total amount to begin with and have the other half ready if needed)
1/3 cup (70ml) coconut, olive or linseed oil (or salmon oil for dogs, but please see the note below)
3 tsp (about 7g) freshly ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS:
Combine the turmeric and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to keep the mixture at a simmer, and cook for 7-10 minutes. Stir frequently to keep from sticking, and add more water as need to keep it to a paste consistency. The exact thickness isn't important--you can adjust that to your preference.
Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool until the pan is just warm to the touch. Add the oil and pepper and stir thoroughly until they are completely mixed in. Store in a clean jar (you can sterilize it if you like) in the refrigerator. It should keep for about two weeks. If you see any sign of mold, or notice an 'off' flavor, discard and make a new batch.

It seems to be working for us, that is all I know. So far so good with Maya. We had an increase in a node last week but it was after a few softer stools. The Orijen seems a bit rich for her so am mixing that right now with another food and adding more boiled chicken than I had been. That seemed to help and the node has gone down a bit now. It has been so dang cold here we cannot get outside lately to do anything. For a few days it never got above zero! Supposed to hit 11 today though!

Last time we got out to play was Jan 1st...
ImageIMG_9138ac by rzyg, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9208ac by rzyg, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9258a8c by rzyg, on Flickr