An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Feeding guidelines - my cocker is a bottomless pit
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:20 pm 
Active Forum Member

Does anyone else have a cocker who is a bottomless pit? I feed her by the weight guidelines and she's still kicking her bowl for more food. She's overweight already. Is there a food that's extra filling? She's a little picky so we've tried it all from kibble to canned to raw/frozen and now we're on refrigerated fresh pet.

Post subject: Re: Feeding guidelines - my cocker is a bottomless pit
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:11 pm 
Forum Legend

LOL - YES...if I fed Cici 8 meals a day, she would happily eat them and eat my meals too.

I NEVER feed by the feeding guidelines. More often than not (although activity levels also need to be considered), the feeding by weight guidelines are WAY too much. Cici would be 50 pounds if I did that! She gets her two meals a day, a few table scraps, and that's it. If she gets a bone, I reduce the meal portion.

It's hard to look at those eyes and not oblige, but you have to.

If you want her to lose weight, I recommend adding a good portion of cooked green beans to her food. Low Calories. You can give her rib bones (high in calories so reduce her food) to keep her busy and raw carrots. Kibble can be packed with calories, so might need to reduce kibble. I cook and freeze meals (using crock pot) for Cici so i can figure out how rich to make it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:47 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hmm green beans might be a good idea. I usually give her some when I make them for myself. Never thought to buy them as a treat for her.

She kicked her food dish again tonight after she inhaled her dinner. :bang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:10 pm 
Forum Legend

Sometimes dogs want to eat because they are bored... but if she's demanding more food immediately, chances are her food isn't meeting her needs. I feed my dogs a salmon and sweet potato kibble. The salmon is high in the good fats, and seems to help with them feeling satisfied, as well as contributing to nice glossy coats. I also got those bowls that slow down the inhaling- oops! eating- and those have really helped a lot. (google "slow feeding bowls"). They get their 1 cup of kibble, split in half, 6am and 6pm, and earn a few small treats as obedience rewards, and are maintaining at a nice 18 lbs. each

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:26 pm 
Forum Legend

Cici wrote:
LOL - YES...if I fed Cici 8 meals a day, she would happily eat them and eat my meals too.

I NEVER feed by the feeding guidelines. More often than not (although activity levels also need to be considered), the feeding by weight guidelines are WAY too much. Cici would be 50 pounds if I did that! She gets her two meals a day, a few table scraps, and that's it. If she gets a bone, I reduce the meal portion.

It's hard to look at those eyes and not oblige, but you have to.

If you want her to lose weight, I recommend adding a good portion of cooked green beans to her food. Low Calories. You can give her rib bones (high in calories so reduce her food) to keep her busy and raw carrots. Kibble can be packed with calories, so might need to reduce kibble. I cook and freeze meals (using crock pot) for Cici so i can figure out how rich to make it

Explain your rib bones, pork, beef, lamb, or chicken ribs :raz cooked in a crock pot or raw?

Licking the empty food bowl doesn't mean anything yet. If your using kibble soak it with warm water and let it expand about an hour. Green beans, carrots, snap peas, squash, are good fillers. If you expand that tummy it will be worse.

Needs lots of exercise during the day to work off those calories.

I recommend frozen over fresh, unless it's from a store not a big box store.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:34 am 
Forum Legend

Quote:
Explain your rib bones, pork, beef, lamb, or chicken ribs :raz cooked in a crock pot or raw?

Good point...I mean beef rib bones. I purchase in bulk on amazon. They keep her busy (I remove excess fat if there is too much on it).

And of course, as much play as you can manage, which is something I am trying to get better at. It's true that she might be bored.

Does she exercise or play a lot?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:13 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
Quote:

And of course, as much play as you can manage, which is something I am trying to get better at. It's true that she might be bored.

Does she exercise or play a lot?

She's never been one to play. I think she lives for "guarding" the apartment. I got her at 4 years old and she's 9 now. I guess her previous owners (not great pet parents didn't even say goodbye when giving her up) never played with toys or bones so she isn't interested in them at all no matter how much I try. Sometimes she'll eat the nose off of a new toy but after the nose is gone she's over it. lol

We walk at least 3 times per day (before/after work, and before bed) and I hire a dog walker for the afternoon when I'm at work. She also just started swimming for her arthritis.

She sometimes kicks her bowl after she's finished or randomly hours later. She's got my appetite I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:17 am 
Forum Legend

I've never had a cocker spaniel that wasn't a bottomless pit LOL. Your dog is hitting that age where it's tough to keep them trim.... but not impossible. It sounds like she is getting plenty of exercise. The green beans are a great idea but make sure that if you give canned beans that they are no salt added. I always rinse them as well. My only suggestion if you are using the feeding guild lines would be to feed according to he weight you would like your cocker to be and not to her current weight. Yes she will act like she's starving but hang strong. Watch out for those mindless calories .... you know the bits of food we mindlessly toss their way... (GUILTY).

Be aware that it will take a bit of time to bring her down. I'm working on mine right now too. She's not overweight but we run agility and I like her a bit lean for that.

My last suggestion would be to get her thyroid checked. Also make sure any meds she is on are not causing her increased appetite. Other than that ... my best to you. It's an ongoing struggle!

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:10 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Oh yes George was a bottomless pit, most of my Cavaliers are too! :love Green beans as others have said are a good filler. What about trying those treat balls, or the bowls designed to slow dogs down so they can't eat as fast? Or even just scatter her food all over the yard so she has to run about searching for the bits!

Spaniels are the best dogs!!