An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: My Bella is swimming for arthritis
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:16 pm 
Active Forum Member

I decided to get my chunky monkey (Bella 9 year old cocker) in to swimming to help with her arthritis and weight. I was wondering if anyone else takes their dog to a swim therapy program. How often do you go per week? Have you seen an improvement? I need to get pics next time because it's the cutest thing ever.

Post subject: Re: My Bella is swimming for arthritis
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:35 am 
Active Forum Member

Awww, please post pics! We have a pool and this summer we brought Ruger in the pool with us. But he didn't swim, we held him and he held onto us tight. Not so sure if he could/would swim. The reason I hesitate to push it is I'm concerned about the pool water getting in his ears. He is prone to ear infections so we clean his ears once a week to keep them at bay. Also, he can be itchy so worry about the chlorine in the water. Otherwise I bet it'd great exercise and fun. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:04 pm 
Active Forum Member

Attachment:
File comment: Bella swimming. She cracks me up. I can't handle it.
bellaswim2.JPG
bellaswim2.JPG [ 58.45 KiB | Viewed 993 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:40 pm 
Forum Legend

Good for a giggle!

And, GOOD for Her! :joy :joy

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:38 am 
Active Forum Member

I also take mine to swim. It has really helped her to maintain the right weight. I would advise anyone with a cocker to do the same.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:57 am 
Active Forum Member

Oh my gosh!! How cute!!! Do you have any problems with her ears or ear infections? Ruger had a really bad infection in his ears when we got him. When we clean his ears, he still hates having his right ear messed with, so I worry if the chlorine water would irritate them.

I keep looking at the pic. So adorable! I think Ruger would like swimming. Was Bella hesitant at first or was she ready to go?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

My first cocker loved water. We took him to the 1000 Islands put him in a puppy life vest and tied him to the dock (the currents are strong) and he would swim for hours, keeping us out at the beach longer than we wanted to be. It was great for his arthritis too.
They look so cute in their swim vests.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:49 am 
Active Forum Member

Jennie has never been in the water deep enough to swim but she loves to wade. My cousin's black cocker Gracie loves to swim and does it without a vest. During warm weather, her human sister Jenna takes her to the beach near their home and she will swim out in the salt water as far as her flexi-leash will go. Then she turns parallel to the shore and Jenna walks the beach as Gracie swims along. It is the funniest thing to see because she is a bit chunky and only her head stays above the water. Jenna is an competitive swimmer so she is comfortable having Gracie in the water. And the flexi-leash allows her to bring Gracie to shore when she want to.

I have a puppy pool for Jennie and when Gracie comes to visit if there is water in the pool she will go lay down in it. She seems to like getting her belly wet. :lol2

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:35 pm 
Active Forum Member

morewineplease wrote:
Oh my gosh!! How cute!!! Do you have any problems with her ears or ear infections? Ruger had a really bad infection in his ears when we got him. When we clean his ears, he still hates having his right ear messed with, so I worry if the chlorine water would irritate them.

I keep looking at the pic. So adorable! I think Ruger would like swimming. Was Bella hesitant at first or was she ready to go?

We haven't had any ear problems. I think it's so low of a level of chlorine that it doesn't bother her.

And the first time she went she was more than hesitant! She pooped in the pool. They said bring her back for a second appointment - then I was hesitant but she did well. We try to do one 15 minute appointment per week and will work up to a 30 minute appointment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:46 pm 
Active Forum Member

kimandbella wrote:
morewineplease wrote:

We haven't had any ear problems. I think it's so low of a level of chlorine that it doesn't bother her.

And the first time she went she was more than hesitant! She pooped in the pool. They said bring her back for a second appointment - then I was hesitant but she did well. We try to do one 15 minute appointment per week and will work up to a 30 minute appointment.

Lol at her pooping in the pool! I feel I really should get Ruger to feel comfortable swimming since we have a pool. And it'd be good exercise. Maybe I should try a puppy pool first.

So cute to read everyone's stories and experiences!