An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Saying Goodbye to Jersey & a MN Puppy Warning
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:21 pm 
Active Forum Member

Unfortunately, we had to find a new home for our puppy Jersey. She is almost 10 months old & we have had both temperament & health issues with her since bringing her home at 15 weeks old. I won't name the breeder we got her from, but ask that if anyone is seeking a puppy in MN, PLEASE contact me so I can make sure you don't get it from Jersey's breeder. That being said, here is Jersey's story.

We brought Jersey home from a breeder whose own house looked to never have been cleaned & had a number of other dogs & large birds. I hate to sound judgemental, but I can honestly say that there was garbage, dirt, fur & fecal matter all over the place. Normally I would have just turned right around & left, but once I laid eyes on the puppies, I guess the kid in me took over. All I could see was this sweet innocent puppy who I could give a better life. The breeder I went to is supposed to have a good reputation & is active in showing & supposedly improving the breed standard. I was told that she had both parents on site for me to meet. Once I got there, I was informed that the father was unavailable & I wouldn't want to meet the mom. She was dirty from being in her kennel building with outdoor runs & worn out from the puppies. She also mentioned that she was not raised as a pet & therefore wouldn't be too friendly. She went on to encourage me that all that matters is how the puppy was raised & assured me that the parents were healthy & had all the testing paperwork to back it up. This was "red flag" number two & I still ignored it. I was told that at any time in Jersey's life, if we couldn't keep her I was to contact her immediately so they could take her back. I assumed that meant they maybe were not so great at housekeeping, but instead spent all their time on their pets. What is it they say about assumptions? We brought Jersey home & all seemed to be going well. I figured any shyness on her part was just adjusting to a new home. The second day we had her, my sister stopped over with her husband & Jersey freaked. She started howling, backing into corners & peeing. This happened anytime someone new met her. I was told that she just needed to be properly socialized & all should be fine. I took Jersey to the vet & they told me she had ear infections in both ears & puppy vaginitis...all of which is pretty normal & nothing to be concerned about. Over the next month, we realized that the so called vaginitis would not go away. It quickly became an issue of what seemed like a bladder infection, frequent urination & pee leakage. After another treatment of antibiotics with no resolution, they did some other testing to try to see if she had stones or something else internal causing the issues. Nothing was ever determined & they told me there was a slight chance that after having her spayed, the condition could resolve itself. (We did have her spayed & maybe over time that will do something, but we noticed no change & it has been a couple months.) Meanwhile, the behavior issues just kept getting worse. Jersey was incredibly nervous to not only new people, but any loud noises & new experiences. I did everything that was recommended to me to try to socialize her, but finally had to back off as she was getting worse instead of better. Over time we noticed that she would have random accidents in the house after anyone came over to visit, stranger or someone she was comfortable with. Jersey also started getting aggressive with our oldest son (7yrs), to the point where they could no longer interact unsupervised due to Jersey nipping him. She was fine with our 6 yr old son & almost 3 yr old daughter. The only thing I can see is that my 7 yr old is timid & not sure how to act around nervous dogs & they fed on each other's insecurities. After realizing that it was just a matter of time before Jersey seriously took a bite of one of my kids, or someone who was just stopping by, I had to contact her breeder & ask her to take her back. I was told that they were getting ready to go to a 4 day dog show & that she would be happy to take her back & find her a new home as soon as they returned. I was also told that they wouldn't be able to refund all of my money, but they would give me something back. Two days after I knew they had gotten home, I called again & was met with a completely different response. I was to receive no money back at all & no replacement puppy. She also really wanted nothing to do with taking in a dog with so many problems. She wanted to know how I could expect her to fix the problems that I created. She said that we already had her fixed so they couldn't even use her for breeding. WHY would you breed a dog with both emotional & physical issues??? I said that I felt the fair thing to do would be to give us half our money back & for her to rehome her. I was then told that they wouldn't give me anything, but would take her in for 6 months after which time they would have her euthanized. I verified that they would be fine with me finding her a new home & quickly hung up. I was completely sickened that anyone would be so callous about a puppy they planned & brought into the world. After hearing this, even if the breeder changed her mind & wanted to give me money back, I could no longer let her go back there.

We are lucky that Jersey does have a happy ending. I contacted a group called Cocker Resources, Inc. & they assured me that I had tried everything with Jersey & the responsible thing to do was find her a new home. They assured me that all the dogs are placed in a foster home that will help them work on any issues & if needed they have a trainer on staff to help with rehabilitation. They then allow pre-screened candidates to visit the foster home to see if they are compatible to adopt the dog. A home visit is done & they check back a couple months after placement, as well as every year thereafter. If at any time the placement doesn't work, they take the dog back & rehome them again. Within two days they were able to place her in a foster home that could not have been more perfect! It is with a single woman & her mini daschund. This woman has grown up with cockers & felt that she would have no problem helping Jersey to find a home as someone's companion. The exchange took place this past Friday & I heard from her yesterday with a progress report. Jersey is doing fantastic & has not had any of the personality issues we were dealing with. She has had doggie playdates & met a couple people without having huge outbursts. We have come to the conclusion that our household was too chaotic for her nervous nature. She needs a home with preferably a single woman & another dog, as she seems to be most aggressive/nervous of children & men. The foster also told me that she really wants to keep her, but hadn't planned on owning two dogs. I truly hope this is what happens, as Jersey seems to be genuinely happy with her. Either way, I at least know that Jersey now has the best possible chance at having a loving family. I had hoped to provide that for her, but it just wasn't meant to be.

The main point of my post is that I am hoping to spare another family the cost & heartache that ours had to go through. I know a lot of this was just me not using common sense & listening to my gut. I had to learn the hard way & will know better if we decide to try again. If anything feels off when you meet a breeder & their pups, just walk away. There really are loving & responsible breeders out there. I was fortunate to meet a couple on this forum! Their advice & kind words have helped me see that I wasn't giving up on Jersey, but allowing her the chance to be happy. They were also willing to help me try to find a new home for her, when Jersey's own breeder wouldn't step up to the plate. All of their help was just out of the kindness of their hearts, as I had made no promises to buy a future puppy from them. Thank you so much for taking the time to read our story & THANK YOU to all the forum members who tried to help me out in finding a puppy, trying to help the one we did get & figuring out how to let go.

Shiloh: blk & wht female cocker 2/17/2005-2/16/2016

Post subject: Re: Saying Goodbye to Jersey & a MN Puppy Warning
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:34 am 
Active Forum Member

Pam,

Sorry to hear your story and thanks for sharing it with other forum members. You shouldn't feel guilty, as this could happen to anyone. At the end of the day you did what was the best for your family and specially for Jersey. This breeder should be suspended by AKC. Keep the spirits up and hope you get another puppy the opportunity to be a part of your family.

Post subject: Saying Goodbye to Jersey & a MN Puppy Warning
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:29 pm 
Active Forum Member

Pam,

Sorry you had this experience.

Know that you did your best for Jersey at your home and at rehoming her.

She has the opportunity to be her best in the best situation for her.

Hopefully, you will find the best puppy or rescue for you, in the near future.

Smile when you think of the Jersey. She will forever be greatful for what you have done for her.

Louis

[color=#0000BF]Teddy (Tri) Our Prince DOB: 1/23/09 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (1/23/11)
Calvin - Our 2nd Prince DOB: 9/12/11 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (9/12/15) - RIP 9/25/16

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:00 pm 
Active Forum Member

I remember when you posted pics of Jersey and I thought she was so adorable. I'm so sorry things didn't work out and that you lost money and suffered heartache. But, I have come to believe that things have a way of working out. Who knows what would've happened to Jersey if you never adopted her. But because you did and because you didn't give her back to the breeder, you gave her a better chance at finding a loving home (that is more suited for her needs) than the breeder did, if that makes any sense. I hope either the foster woman keeps her or she finds a suitable home for her. Sweet little Jersey deserves it! And the breeder shouldn't be allowed to breed anymore. That's horrible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:10 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you for the kind responses! I am feeling more confident that we made the right decision in rehoming Jersey. I recently heard from her foster & Jersey is still doing really well. She decided against adopting her. At this point she is not in the position to own two dogs, as she lives in a condo/apartment building. I believe Jersey will be going to her new permanent home this weekend. From the sounds of it, she couldn't be any more fortunate. I am happy that she will have a loving new owner that will send letter & picture updates frequently to the rescue group. We are all sad to lose Jersey, but have noticed a significant decrease in stress...especially our kids. I had no idea they were so on edge with Jersey around. My two oldest are back in school now, so we are just taking time before deciding if adding a dog to our family will be right. I am incredibly grateful to have had this forum with all of its compassionate members. You have all been so helpful & supportive throughout our journey with Jersey. For now, I will enjoy reading your posts & seeing all of your beautiful cockers!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:07 pm 
Forum Legend

I am sorry about the heartbreak and the ordeal that you went through with the breeder.

Congrats to Jersey on her new life.

Her doppelgänger, Cherry Pie, was adopted by us 6 years ago on Sept 18. We were the last jackpot winner of the rescue puppy lottery. Jersey's new owners are very lucky and I wish her a very happy life.

Cherry UDX RE CGC R/W Parti DOB: 4/1/10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:08 am 
Active Forum Member

Cherry Pie is beautiful & does look a lot like Jersey :hp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:48 am 
Active Forum Member

This is so sad. Goodbye Sweetie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:52 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm so sorry for your experience. I'm sure your heart aches at having to make this decision but know that you made the right choice for your family and for Jersey. I hope that when your family is ready again that you are able to find the right breeder and best pup to fit your family.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)