An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Miss Maxine - Five Years
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:52 am 
I Rescue Cockers

It would be very easy to describe Miss Maxine. She suffered through 12 years of abuse and neglect before she came to us. By the time we saw her picture standing in a shelter in Rhode Island with her head and tail both hanging, she was old, blind, had a back leg twisted with arthritis from her time being caged and had a severe heart condition. We kept her name Maxine – we should have changed it to Phoenix for that girl truly rose from the ashes. She claimed her spot in the pack, her place in the family, her role in the community, her glory in the cyber world of the Internet with the ease and joy of a pup. She became an author; instigator of “Dere Isabew”. I know people thought I wrote that for her but I truly didn’t. To this day I can give you my word, all I did was channel her. Amazing as it may seen, when she left us we were at about 15,000 views on Dere Isabew, as of this writing we have topped at over 90,000! It is THE most viewed topic in its section. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary web site actually has a direct link to Zim’s to that posting. If you Google “Dere Isabew” that’s where you go. (The link if anyone wants direct access to reminisce is: http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... f=7&t=2842 )

In the time since she left many things have been accomplished in her name. To name a few – several thousands of dollars have been donated to rescues across the county, seven dogs in our neighborhood alone have been adopted through people that knew her, stories have been written and literally I have received cards, notes, emails from about half the states in this country - and five years later she is spoken of by others, have read about how she changed the way people thought, about the way people spoke of “unadoptable” dogs and how in some cases she actually changed relationships within families as people shared her stories. Maxine left her mark from New York to California. In her own quiet way she walked this earth, taught us many lessons and loved – as only a dog can love – with her whole heart and with forgiveness for what some “humans” did to her.

Maxine had belief in the “Big One”. No….this was not MY belief; it was her’s. I saw it in the way she did all the funny and loveable things she did. There was a part of her that took whatever the Big One dished out with gentle trust and turned it all to gold. My grandfather used to say “it isn’t how you start a race that counts, it’s how you finish it”. My angel girl finished it with love, courage and gentleness. She was everything I hope to be one day.

I can't believe it's been five years since I held my girl and ruffled her soft fur or I felt her cuddle up to me. It has been so long since I was able to look into her face and tell her how much I loved her, how special she was, how much a difference she made – not only in my life – but in the world. I will never forget my girl, I will never stop missing her. There are no words for how deeply I still mourn her or how I rejoice that the Big One brought that incredible soul into my life and that of my family. We have forever been changed by a small cocker spaniel, banged around most of her life who rose from what was to become all she could be. She made a difference. What more can any of us hope for?

My dear girl….how very much you are missed, and how very much you are still loved!

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

Last edited by Vickie on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Miss Maxine - Five Years
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:27 am 
Active Forum Member

Oh Vickie... all I can says is AMEN!

Now I have to go find the tissues to wipe my tears and Jennie to have a cuddle.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Tears here too. We all feel lucky that thru you we were able to know and love Maxine too. I'm, sure she's busy at the bridge helping all our puppers to be the very best dogs they can be. Hugs

At the Bridge
Lil'Bit-Black, Brandy-Buff, Buddy-Blk&Tan, Teddy-Buff
Molly-Black-no longer at the bridge but now in her daddy's lap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:12 am 
Forum Legend

Very touching and a beautiful legacy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:09 pm 
Forum Legend

She touched many hearts and lives.... I know I will always remember her. :hp

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

Wow, you brought tears to my eyes. I'm relatively new to the forum and sadly don't know of Maxine, but thank you for rescuing her and giving her a new leash on life. Sounds like she touched many people's lives. How incredibly touching...