An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: SARDS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:39 am 
Forum Member

I haven't been on the forum in a few years. I have a 7 year old Cocker Spaniel named Abby & she was diagnosed with SARDS and dry eyes about 2 months ago. She has not went completely blind yet. She is currently on Prednisone trying to preserve what vision she has. She completed a round of Doxycycline and I use 3 different types of eye drops/gel/ointments for her dry eyes. I have been doing a lot of research since her diagnosis. As of now she does not have any other underlying medical conditions. The Ophthalmologist did blood work about a month ago & there were a few things that were a little high and a little low. Per my regular vet we are repeating the blood work next week to see if anything has changed and will go from there once we see the results. Abby has an appointment with the eye doctor next week and I guess I will find out what the next steps are as far as her medication. She has showed great improvement with the Prednisone as far as her demeanor. She is back to her playful self and she's not just laying around sleeping all the time. Any information on SARDS is greatly appreciated. If you have a dog with SARDS did he/she develop any other health issues? Thank again!

Post subject: Re: SARDS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Shannon:

Until you get a response from someone, just click on the search button above and type SARDS. There are quite a few topics on it that might offer some information for you.

Tina

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:49 am 
Active Forum Member

I have been doing a ton of research on this subject as I just went through the sudden blindness with one of my dogs. Not knowing what it could be my first thought was diabetes. I took him immediately to the vet had his glucose level checked etc. Not the case. I was told it happens to dogs hos age (12) and to just go home and he will adjust. I kept asking my self why overnight, it didn't make any sense. So I got on the computer and researched my heart out non-stop. Well guess what I came up with? A real quick education on SARDs. He fit every one of the symptoms to a T. I then ran across a link to a very well educated hard working vet that has made it his goal to figure out what causes SARDs and other auto immune diseases in our pets. After reading his information and seeing that what was going on with my dog was not just limited to blindness that was the least of my concern then. I needed a fix for his other symptoms.
SARDs "IS" an autoimmune disease. This vet has been successful in treating animals with SARDs and been successful at having their eyesight return as well. I decided to take this info I ran across to my holistic vet and present it to her ask her to read it and to please assist me in applying this Dr.'s protocol which first consists of a simple blood test to determine status. Well my gut told me what my head already knew. He had SARDs. There is a ton of info here for you to read and familiarize yourself with so I can't narrate it all but in my opinion our dogs need to be taken more seriously when it comes to diagnosing our dogs and we need to not settle for having a vet tell us just take your blind dog home and deal!
Here are the links I found and if you have any questions I would be more than happy to talk with you more about my exp and findings. I firmly believe in this Dr and his expertise and findings as so many other dr.s do and he has also been recognized recently at a well known conference for Oncologists. If I can help just one more dog that's my goal.
http://drplechner.com/sards-corner/

Mona

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:32 pm 
Active Forum Member

Mona,
Hope I never need the info/link you posted, but I bookmarked it. Thanks!

Shannon - any updates??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:18 pm 
Active Forum Member

My Saydee went blind fast with SARD. She was diagnosed at Ohio State. vet School. Best in country. She did fine blind. Harder for me. She then went deaf which was very hard. She still did everything with me. Harder for you. She was never on meds. Just that quickly went blind. All will be okay. There is a great book on dog blindness. I gave it to my vet so can not tell you the name of it. But all just common sense.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:19 am 
Active Forum Member

The thing is if you read the information I posted the link to about SARD's it can be curable and the blindness and hearing loss etc and be reversed with the protocol. There is a reason for the blindness it's a hormone imbalance that needs to be corrected. The SARD's is an autoimmune disease and it also leads to other things in your dog all related to the hormone imbalance. The issue with the Dr.s diagnosing SARD's they don't know about anything more than telling you to go home and live with a blind animal. The blindness is caused what happens to the eye itself because of this. I personally did not want my dog living with something that had a cure I could fix.