Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Tail docking
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:48 am 
Forum Legend

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/dog ... hysically/

I really wish this practice would come to an end for cockers and all dogs that it is practiced on. I think our cockers deserve what it is like to enjoy a full tail.

My Cici's tail was almost completely cut off. She barely has an inch.

Post subject: Re: Tail docking
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:33 am 
Active Forum Member

I read that article yesterday, but the author failed to mention why a lot of hunting dogs have their tails docked. As I thought about all the dogs that I have owned, most had their tails docked, including the mixed breed dog that I grew up with as a child. Docking a dogs tail is always done when they are a few days old and is only cartilage, which is like cutting your nails. Cocker Spaniels, and other hunting dogs had it done, since they would run through thickets and brambles to go after prey and could easily get it caught or broken, a much more costly and painful procedure for the dog. You know how that little nubbie never stops, and there are dogs that have broken their wagging tails by hitting them against a wall. Not my previous dog, but the one before her, was a rescue Cocker X, and had a tail, nice tail with long fur, and that tail never stopped wagging, she would often knock things off the coffee table. I know with the dobies and rotties, the tail docking made them more menacing. When Snickie was younger, with all her fur, she ran after a bunny and it ran into a thicket, and that thicket did not deter Snickie, all I could think of, is that she would get tangled up in there with her fur, and I would have to crawl in there and get her, and at the same time very glad that she didn't have much of a tail. She may not work with a hunter, but her instincts are still intact. I don't have a problem with the tail docking, and I don't believe that dogs suffer from a balance problem, or that other dogs that don't see a tail wagging, that the dog with the docked tail is a threat.
The ears though, that is another story since that is done at a later time, at around 6 months or so. I remember with my previous dog going to a training class and a Schnauzer had it's ears cropped and they brought the dog to class the next day and it really was pretty gross looking, bloody ear tips. I have seen a lot of people these days with boxers, dobies and rotties, their tails are still being docked, but the owners are foregoing the ear cropping, which I think is a step in the right direction, the show dogs are still being done though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:43 pm 
Forum Legend

A friends Irish Water Spaniel would bleed from hitting things with his long rat tail. Just another spaniel that wags to much. They would wrap it up all the time with a band-aid wrap. The tail is supposed to work like a rudder. Sure.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:13 pm 
Active Forum Member

As for ear cropping, in Amstaffs it is done at 12 weeks. Ear cropping/tail docking are very controversial subjects,