An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: keeping an 11 year old girl for Holidays
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:30 pm 
Forum Legend

I have not been in the forum for quite some time. Since Holly went to the bridge I have not had any Cockers around. I committed to keep a coworker's 11 year old Cocker girl for the holidays. she seems to be stressed in her home environment with 2 toddlers. She also recently had an infection which she has been treated. I will keep her for at least 4 days and my thoughts is to keep her in an enclosed environment such as the kitchen during the day while I work and then let her roam as she pleases. she is not to fond of children so that will not be a problem. I will pick her up at her house ,then keep her. I will be working some that weekend so I will keep her enclosed when I am not home. Any suggestions will be appreciated as I have not foster or kept a dog since Holly went to the bridge.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

Post subject: Re: keeping an 11 year old girl for Holidays
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:49 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi May! Good to have you back. She may be insecure that she is in a new place, so I would try to give her enough time with you in the house to make her feel comfortable before you leave her alone.
Several years ago I sat an elderly female lab for my boss for the weekend. She just made herself at home. As long as she was getting the attention and someone was talking to her, that seemed to satisfy her.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:07 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi May! Good to "see" you!
i do have a suggestion for you. You mentioned that you will be picking her up from her home, and then taking her to yours. I suggest that you ask her people to walk out to the car with you, so that the dog knows this is something they want her to do. Otherwise, you may have a depressed, withdrawn dog on your hands who thinks she has just been taken away from her family forever.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:50 pm 
Forum Legend

Why not try a test run like the Memorial day weekend or June sometime.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:29 am 
Recommended Breeder

Ask the owners what her routine is and try to stick to it as close as possible. Things like is she crated during the day due to needing supervision, where does she sleep at night, eating routine..once a day, twice a day ect, exercise & outside time, any medications, treats or any food allergies.
Can you bring her favorite toys & dog bed to your place?
I think she would be most at ease if you can stick to what is familiar to her. At 11 yrs old she probably has a routine that she is use to.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:54 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Please ask her owner for her dishes, toys, bed, etc. so she has HER stuff with her. I know you might have your "doggy items" left but she'll be happier with her own. Also ask if there are usual times for meals, etc. so you can keep on her schedule.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:32 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

May, this will be wonderful for you to have the pitter patter of doggie tootsies in your home! Have you met this dog before, does the dog know you? If not, I would go to your friend's house and meet the dog and let the dog get to know you so when she comes over your place you will not be a stranger to her.

Please post pictures!

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:58 pm 
Forum Legend

Thanks you all for your responses. I will try to keep up with her schedule. she lives in a home with toddlers and she more than often keeps away from them per her owner. I am going to try my best to keep up with her schedule. I am prepared for everything. It will be a change to again have a pup at home. I just wish the best and that she have a good time. Just to tell an old story. My sister once was supposed to only go and feed this Cocker name Buddy, he was one of her friends dog. Instead of only go and feeding him she decided to take him home with her as it was her vacation and it was going to be too much driving back and forth to feed him. Well long story short she kept him for 2 weeks, fed him, spoiled him, bathe him, groomed him, walked him and gave him the time of his life. His owner had children and they were not giving him too much time. Well when was time to pick him up he did not want to go back to his owners. my sister received a call from her friends husband asking her What she has done to their dog? This was funny. We are Cockers fan.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:24 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Hi,
How lucky this little dog will be to spend some time with you! And lucky for you as well!
Sounds like you have everything covered as far as making this sweet girl's stay with you as comfortable and stress free as possible. Bet you both really enjoy each other during her visit.
I would also ask the owners to give you a unwashed t-shirt they have worn, that you can put in her bed with her, so she has her people's scent with her.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:39 am 
Forum Legend

Mollie's update: I got her Thursday and she was quite shy in the car but the minute we got home she claimed the couch, at bedtime, she claimed my bed. anyway she is doing great. A little shy initially around the place. Her owner told me she does not walk well and they don't walk her much. She is great on the leash spunky and with a trot and I have walk she multiple short walks. If is dark is kind of difficult because of her eyesight. She is gobbling her food and I am sneaking her antibiotics on the food with no problem which was something her owner told me if giving medication was difficult to forget it. Today finally I saw her nubby moving(although is quite short almost none) and I am seeing a typical Velcro Cocker. she still don't give cocker kisses but that ok.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:37 am 
I Rescue Cockers

may holly wrote:
Mollie's update: I got her Thursday and she was quite shy in the car but the minute we got home she claimed the couch, at bedtime, she claimed my bed. anyway she is doing great. A little shy initially around the place. Her owner told me she does not walk well and they don't walk her much. She is great on the leash spunky and with a trot and I have walk she multiple short walks. If is dark is kind of difficult because of her eyesight. She is gobbling her food and I am sneaking her antibiotics on the food with no problem which was something her owner told me if giving medication was difficult to forget it. Today finally I saw her nubby moving(although is quite short almost none) and I am seeing a typical Velcro Cocker. she still don't give cocker kisses but that ok.

I may have missed this part but how long are you going to have her? The reason I'm asking is that her owners don't seem to be too invested in her wellbeing. They don't walk her, have trouble giving needed meds and (!!!!) are willing to skip needed meds if it's difficult. Perhaps you should offer them visitation?

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:35 pm 
Forum Legend

still doing good. Vickie you might be right. She reminds me so much of Holly when she snores and sleeps she makes the same noises. due to het eye sight I cut her bangles as they were all over her eyes. At least she can see better without hair blocking her view. My sister was dont do that as she is not your dog well I rather have her seeing me. She got me thinking of getting a senior. lets see. I will keep her until tommorow night or Tuesday morning not sure yet.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Let them know if ever they want to part with her, said in a joking manner, that you would take her in a heart beat. They may take you up on it. I think she would be an ideal companion.

[color=#4000FF]Molly, Kelly, Sassy, Champ, Julie, Sugar and Miss Kitty waiting for me at the Bridge.
Currently mom to:
Cassie the Parti-Sable girl
Hailey the Red, Field coated Spaniel

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:07 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I agree with Michelle....maybe just let them know you'd be willing to keep her. You know, when Mowgli was dumped as a 12-year old, he bloomed while he was with us. People that knew him would say they couldn't believe how well he was doing. I remember saying to Bob that no older dog should spend their last year's being tolerated or considered a burden. Frankly, between the lack of care and willingness not to give meds, I'd consider them neglectful.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:03 pm 
Forum Legend

I just took the critter back to her owners. She was so happy and I saw a side of her she did not showed with me. She wiggle her tail, start playing with the kids and was quite active. I know the calm time, taking her meds for her systemic infection, walking and change of scenery helped her. I asked her owners to see if they can put her on the thyroid medication her vet recommended as she is way overweight. I am glad she dis great while with me. Did not get in any trouble. Respected the trash can and did her business outside. I hope they keep up with the walks. She reminded me so much of my Holly when she snore. Its amazing how different dogs can be. But true to the breed she is a Velcro dog.