An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Nightmares?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:07 am 
Forum Legend

Last night, Cici had what I believe was a nightmare. She dreams a lot like many dogs, barks, moves her paws and what not, but this was different.

She howled really long drawn out howls and cries like she was hurt several times and finally awoke the third time I called her name.

She had never done that before and I was shocked out of my sleep; at first I thought she was actually hurt.

I guess it was a doggie nightmare? Has anyone else heard one?

Post subject: Re: Nightmares?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:48 pm 
Forum Legend

I've few fosters dogs who did this, but none on my own dogs.
I do think it is a nightmare, and they are truly frightened. The couple of new owners who kept in touch with me of said they gradually faded away and the dogs stopped having them altogether after several months.

I forget, how old is Cici now? Dogs go through fearful stages just like human children do, they call them imprinting stages in dogs, could be that's where she is and the fear only comes up when she's asleep.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:42 pm 
Forum Legend

Not here but our second cocker Sophie woke up howling to It's a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong about 1AM as we were listening to Coast to Coast AM bumper music. She was a singer in the car if I started it. We would be laughing down the highway, the three of us.

A county park attendant put here hand on her cat as it was having a night mare got bit and scratch. The cat jumped off the bed but came back latter to try to become friends.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:43 pm 
Forum Legend

Chris Gomes wrote:
I've few fosters dogs who did this, but none on my own dogs.
I do think it is a nightmare, and they are truly frightened. The couple of new owners who kept in touch with me of said they gradually faded away and the dogs stopped having them altogether after several months.

I forget, how old is Cici now? Dogs go through fearful stages just like human children do, they call them imprinting stages in dogs, could be that's where she is and the fear only comes up when she's asleep.

Interesting. She is 7 now and was adopted at 5. Usually, her barks or any sounds are fairly light with her snores being louder. But this was crazy loud, like she was being attacked.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:49 am 
I Rescue Cockers

You have't truly been shocked awake until you are awakened by a dog's
l-o-n-g, mournful howl at 2 am! :lol2 Our first cocker spaniel, Coriander, did that one night and so did our current dog, Teddy. I awoke as Cori was on the upswing of that moan and it was so eerie it gave me chills. Sounded like a horror movie! I figure they either have nightmares or the want to scare the beans out of us.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:28 am 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
Not here but our second cocker Sophie woke up howling to It's a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong about 1AM as we were listening to Coast to Coast AM bumper music. She was a singer in the car if I started it. We would be laughing down the highway, the three of us.

A county park attendant put here hand on her cat as it was having a night mare got bit and scratch. The cat jumped off the bed but came back latter to try to become friends.

Joe
My previous cocker spaniel also would start howling while sleeping, waking me up totally scaring me to death. She did it a few times during the day while we would be watching tv and she would be in a deep sleep, I would have to say her name several times before she would wake up, looking totally dazed

This same cocker would also howl away to certain songs on the radio, I had to eventually change the station, she also howled to the theme song to the tv series" Murder She Wrote" We eventually would mute that when the program came on. She was quite the character.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:12 am 
Forum Legend

I was watching some vet on Animal Planet who was dealing with a cat that had the same issue. The vet suggested using Melatonine. Personally, I would check with my own vet first to be sure it was safe and at what dose.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:48 am 
Forum Legend

Terry T. wrote:
I was watching some vet on Animal Planet who was dealing with a cat that had the same issue. The vet suggested using Melatonine. Personally, I would check with my own vet first to be sure it was safe and at what dose.

Thanks for all the replies. I am sure with some it is habitual, but it was the first time Cici did that, so I won't be giving her any drugs.

Silly girl almost gave me a heart attack! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:20 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Oh I know, George has done that a few times over the years, he frightened the lift out of me the first time as I thought it was some sort of fit!!! :tg

Spaniels are the best dogs!!