The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Are there specialized doggie ENTs?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:19 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi all,

My 7-year old rescued cocker, Buddy, has been having severe issues (and pain) in his left ear. The main problem is a swollen ear canal which does not allow our vet to see deep down into the ear for analysis of what is actually happening or growing. ?? We have been back and forth to our vet for the past 3+ months for a look at this ear and further prescriptions of medications (antibiotics, steroids, ear drops, painkillers) and even an attempted surgical look deep within the canal -- which did not work since the canal was so very swollen. What is bothering me the most is that whatever is happening with his left ear is only happening with his left and his right ear is looking perfectly healthy. Hmmm? And whatever is there is not really snapping back to normal at all. A vicious cycle, I'm afraid.

I have searched high and low for a specialized veterinary ENT (i.e., Ear, Nose and Throat) but there does not seem to be any here in the Baltimore/Washington area or even across the country. I am seeing veterinary allergists and/or dermatologists who can treat allergic ear issues but could this be an allergic condition -- in only ONE ear? I think not.

Food-wise, I have Buddy on grain-free Merrick brand dog foods (kibble in the morning and canned in the evening) and grain-free treats. It's obvious that grain-free foods are not keeping ear infections away from my cockers ... but it is keeping his weight stable. He has tolerated these foods very well and his stomach issues (since his rescue from a neglected puppy mill last April) have resolved completely. I am aware that Merrick was bought out by either Purina or Nestle and yes, that worries me too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mom to:
"Buddy" (black cocker) - (dob 9/27/08 & rescued 5/12/15)
"Brenna" (red/white cocker) - (2 years old & rescued 8/30/15)

will never forget my babies: "Sadie" & "Snoops" ...

Post subject: Re: Are there specialized doggie ENTs?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:49 am 
Active Forum Member

I wish I had some good advice for you. I'm sure there is someone on this forum who can help you out! I sympathize with you though. I am dealing with what I believe to be a food allergy with my new cocker pup who is about 4 months old. She has had ear infections (one ear is definitely worse than the other), as well as vaginitis & severely itchy skin (with no red spots or flaky skin). We have treated her for both infections as well as possible mites. The itchiness is still persisting & she has started vomiting every once in a while now too. I am going to be trying a food change to Natural Balance Small Breed Bites Duck & Potato. Maybe trying a different limited ingredient, grain free food could be beneficial for Buddy. You would need to make sure it has a completely different protein as well as a different starch. Also, if Buddy is currently on a chicken formula, make sure to check the complete list of ingredients to make sure there is no trace of chicken in it. I've found some foods that will say lamb & rice, but if I look at the entire list of ingredients, there is a trace of chicken at the end. Hope that makes sense. I had allergy issues with my previous cocker as well, so I know how frustrating it is to try & find a solution. It's a good thing cockers are so adorable & sweet right?!? :wink

Shiloh: blk & wht female cocker 2/17/2005-2/16/2016

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:00 am 
Forum Legend

Hi Michele,

I would recommend the doctor do an Xray of the head to see if there is a growth there. Perhaps an ear cyst? Has the vet talked about an Xray since he/she cannot look in?

I also recommend limited ingredient diet - many canned foods offer this option (look on Chewy.com and dogfoodadvisor) However, before you pick one, you could do the nutriscan saliva test from Hemopet. I suspect Buddy is intolerant to one or more ingredients in the food he is getting and that might be helpful in figuring out which foods to pick. Cici always ate grain-free with us, but after the test, I eliminated all foods containing white fish oils, and it was not easy to find foods without it. (It might help finding out if he has an issue with chicken as some dogs do, not only cockers). The turnaround on the test is quick. In the meantime, I wonder if an xray would help show if the canal is just swollen or there is some sort of growth in there.

(Food intolerance is not the same as allergic reaction and it could be that Buddy has the former).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:34 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Perhaps if you contact a vetinary school near you they can point you in the right direction.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:19 pm 
Forum Legend

Have you tried the Zim Ear Cleaner? or you could be lazy like me and buy Liquid Health Ear Cleaner from Amazon. I have personally seen both of these clear up bad ears.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:22 pm 
Active Forum Member

Find a pet allergist, Alot of the ear issues cockers have are related to allergies of some sort. They can treat the ear appropriately to get the swelling down, use a camera to look down inside the ear and see what is going on. My three have been battling ear issues also,my Lexi has one fabulous ear the other one not so much, no answers yet but I know we are closer to finding one than I would be with my regular vet.

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Lexi ~ Buff ~12/11/2008 - 10/17/2017 [i]and [/i] Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:17 pm 
Forum Legend

Chris Gomes wrote:
Have you tried the Zim Ear Cleaner? or you could be lazy like me and buy Liquid Health Ear Cleaner from Amazon. I have personally seen both of these clear up bad ears.

Love the Liquid Health cleaner also. It's the best!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:45 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks everyone for the fast responses. I do not want to add anything to his ears at this point except for the steroidal medication drops as prescribed by our vet. My poor boy is in screaming pain in that left ear when touched.

I will absolutely speak with our vet about the potential to do an x-ray to check or rule out a possible cyst/tumor and I am also very interested in Dr. Dodd's Nutriscan saliva test as a quick check for potential food allergies. I see that it is nearly $300 -- wow ... but probably worth it! FYI, I just sent in my own "23 and Me" saliva test to see what my own health issues are/may be (no results back as yet) so this is quite interesting to see what something similar would show for Buddy's health.

And, if need be, there is a very good veterinary dermatologist in the area that we could potentially take Buddy to see but the costs are incredibly high (~$1200). I need to figure all of this out before dropping a huge amount of $$. Our vet is expensive as well.

Thanks again -- I'll update you along my way to let you know what I have done to help my sweet boy.

Mom to:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:10 am 
Active Forum Member

I understand the cost believe me, been there with all three dogs, still there, add up how much you have already spent (including the time it takes to be running them to the vet, medicating them etc.), how much more money you will end up spending before the problem is taken care of, not to mention the excruciating pain he is in. A dog allergist is the way to go to get the problem taken care of.

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Lexi ~ Buff ~12/11/2008 - 10/17/2017 [i]and [/i] Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:49 pm 
Forum Legend

I wouldn't put any kind of fluid in the ear, could have open sores! OUCH!

I would try frozen raw dog food or cooked meals.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:44 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm late to the party, but maybe an x-ray would also show if something is stuck in the ear and has become infected. Some grasses and other plants can cause irritation inside the ear and you rarely know there's something in there until you have the type of problem you are experiencing. Best of luck. Please keep us posted.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:18 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi everyone,

I want to give you an update on the potential diagnosis for my Buddy. Today, I took him to the specialized veterinary allergist/dermatologist and he gave him a very thorough exam. He was even able to swab some material from the left and very swollen ear. Upon returning to the exam room, he explained that he was not able to see/smell infection but the canal was fully thickened or swollen to the point of having no true idea of what is happening near the drum. That said, the doctor was 100% certain that this was not an allergy from a food or an external source but more likely a chronic infection, a possible tumor or even an embedded foreign object (plant-based?) that may have been going on for years and left untreated (as Buddy was a very neglected puppy mill dog) until recently when we noticed his discomfort. So, what's next? A veterinary surgeon to talk to us about the possible left total ear canal ablation (TECA) surgery. The surgi-center was next door to the allergist's office so off we went to schedule. The surgical consult and procedure are scheduled for May 11th and May 12th.

I came home rather upset and spoke with our vet in detail about this. Perhaps this is the right decision as Buddy's hearing on the left side is nearly gone, according to the doctor today. We have been keeping him comfortable with a pain medication and prednisone dose -- but keeping him on those meds only can bring on more serious conditions later (i.e., the potential for Cushings). Also, an x-ray would not show a tumor but an MRI would and that is a large additional cost and an additional sedation for Buddy.

It may be time to surgically remove the canal on the left side (??). It breaks my heart but he will still have his right ear which looks perfectly clear and his hearing from the right side; he will just lose the pain and constant meds.

Thoughts?

Mom to:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:03 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Many years ago I had to have that procedure done to our Brandy. She was actually a much happier girl after the procedure as her ear no longer hurt her. By the ripe old age of 15 she had lost most of the hearing in her other ear but her nose still worked well to tell when we were making popcorn. At 16 we set her cross the bridge and she is surely playing happily and hearing out of both ears.

At the Bridge
Lil'Bit-Black, Brandy-Buff, Buddy-Blk&Tan, Teddy-Buff
Molly-Black-no longer at the bridge but now in her daddy's lap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:26 am 
Active Forum Member

Well, it has been 3 months since I started this post/topic and Buddy (and I) are back to the same place once again -- but with one less ear (successful TECA procedure in May).

This week, we are heading to yet another dermatologist/allergist in our area who works closely with the veterinary surgeon (and her full series of lab results on Buddy's infected/rotted ear). Since Buddy's other ear is now infected and itchy once again -- and my other cocker, Brenna, is having on-and-off yeast infections in her ears, it's time to figure this out with proper labs and testing procedures. Is it food, environment, breed-specific, etc. ?? and this guessing game for potential culprits is at the point of needing clear and definitive answers ASAP.

I personally feel like the dog chasing her tail. Our vet to dermatologist to surgeon to dermatologist again ... Please wish us luck.

Thanks!

Mom to:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:56 am 
Active Forum Member

Wow... sending you a boatload of positive thoughts! I'm glad to hear that the one procedure worked and will hope you have found the allergist that can help you get to the bottom of this. Keep us posted!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:02 am 
Forum Legend

Sending good vibes your way! Could it be the same thing bothering both of them? I hope you find out soon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:26 am 
Active Forum Member

Goodness gracious, you and your pups have been through a lot. Glad all worked out well with Buddy's ear surgery. Forgive me if this seems too simple, but have you tried probiotics and such to fight yeast? I give my Ruger goat's milk, but he's been having itchy issues and I'm planning to try some probiotics in case it's yeast and/or allergies. He has had some ear infections and has had good luck with Zymox products. Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:14 am 
Forum Legend

So sorry to hear about this happening again. I hope that you can find the right doctors and what is causing the problem.
Wishing you all the best. Please keep us informed.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:08 am 
Active Forum Member

I always blame thyroid on this type of problem, not saying I'm right but me would buy some natural thyroid ,something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271724653769? ... EBIDX%3AIT

You could try it for 2 weeks 1/2 every meal it's harmless and something a wild dog would eat naturally, if you see an improvement might be worth looking into. When our dog was first diagnosed I noticed the cartilage round his ear was not pliable and couldn't be cleaned, once started on thyroid it softened.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:47 am 
Active Forum Member

Well, Buddy and I just returned from this morning's dermatologist/allergist appointment. This vetdoc and his staff were all truly fantastic and I think we may be on the way to solving this ear dilemma. The doctor truly believes that the ear issues for both of my pups is simply due to their diets. The thyroid is not an issue here at all.

Yes, to Cici's mom -- the doctor thought that both cockers ARE indeed sharing the same yeast-filled ears and infection even though Brenna has not been seen here as yet. (She will join in the fun in 4 weeks during our return visit and her start-up visit.) Even the water bowl that is most times shared by each of them is problematic. Plus, having them on different foods is bad as they both have almost the same issue(s). So, with that, we will be changing both of their diets. The food of choice for serious yeast-based ears is a rabbit kibble and/or canned food. Royal-Canin has that variety and they gave Buddy a taste of the canned food and he liked it, thank goodness.

So, for 4 weeks, we will feed both of them the Royal-Canin rabbit dry and wet foods (Brenna doesn't eat wet food), absolutely NO people food at all, only one variety of dog treats -- Serenegy's "Potato Pleasers" (which both liked), a goodbye to their monthly Heartgard medication which is beef-based and a hello to Revolution which is a combined flea/tick plus heartworm prevention monthly topical. I'm not overly thrilled with the flea/tick/topical part but whatever it takes to see this work.

There was another product that the doc put into Buddy's one ear: Claro otic solution/tube which contains a fixed combination of 3 active substances/medications. It supposedly works for 3 to 4 weeks with only one application. He didn't ask me if I wanted Buddy to have this -- it was applied and over and done. (I generally like to research meds for anyone before administering but OK, I guess.)

I was also given a full disclosure report of everything that occurred today, diagnoses, treatment plans, and what's next. Wow. It wasn't cheap -- heaven's no -- but the report said that Buddy's ear looks "salvageable" without oral steroid use. That's music to MY ears.

Thanks! I'll let you know how this goes.

Mom to:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:52 am 
Forum Legend

People in here don't like me as I push raw food but this is a very good videos about dog food. Food that will keep the vet away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTWHxvjI_as this is a two part video.

Same vet best to worst dog foods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ZeNLUEHKY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:13 pm 
Forum Legend

Michelle,
I'm so happy you finally have some answers and some hope of saving the ears. What are yo going to use to fix the water bowl issue?
Keep us updated.

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:31 pm 
Forum Legend

The water bowl problem I would put a cap full of raw organic apple cider vinegar as this should fix your water bowl problem in trading of the yeast. Don't know how much your water bowls hold. This should be no problem and kill any transfer between your dogs. If there's no open sores use the Zim ear cleaner.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:10 am 
Forum Legend

The "raw organic apple cider vinegar" may be a bit strong and the dogs may not like it. I personally could not stand the taste.

I would start by washing water bowls with soapy water a couple of times a day until you can get this under control, or see if they will drink from separate bowls.

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:40 am 
Forum Legend

Terry T. wrote:
The "raw organic apple cider vinegar" may be a bit strong and the dogs may not like it. I personally could not stand the taste.

I would start by washing water bowls with soapy water a couple of times a day until you can get this under control, or see if they will drink from separate bowls.

Terry you don't use the whole bottle. A cap full in two cups of water.

If you feed a raw home-prepared diet and are concerned about harmful bacteria in your dog’s food or on kitchen surfaces, use the alternating vinegar-peroxide spray treatment described above.

“I always add raw apple cider vinegar to vegetables when I puree them for my dogs,” says veterinary technician Adele Delp of Helena, Montana. “Vinegar is a natural preservative and the vegetables last several days longer in the refrigerator, which is convenient.”

There are pros and cons to adding cider vinegar to a dog’s drinking water, with the recommended dose usually 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon per 50 pounds of body weight. “People often talk about adding ACV to water bowls,” says canine health researcher Mary Straus. “My feeling is that if so, you should also offer plain water, just in case your dogs don’t want to drink the water with the ACV in it. You wouldn’t want to risk their drinking less water and possibly becoming dehydrated.”

Is a daily dose of apple cider vinegar good for your dog? Unless your dog is allergic to apples, he or she isn’t likely to suffer a serious reaction, and within a month you should be able to tell whether the addition is helping. Commonly reported benefits include improvements in skin and coat condition, a reduction of itching and scratching, the elimination of tear stains on the face, fewer brown or yellow urine spots in lawns, increased mobility in older dogs, reduced flea populations, and an improvement in overall health.

YOU CAN DO YOUR OWN HOME WORK FOR PETS DRINKING OACV. You can test the pets limit in the water. I do as I said, a cap full per two cups of water. His water bowl is a two cup measuring bowl to keep his ears dry. :lol3

That was the first one to show up. Just think if your dog has kidney stones or bladder stones this is the cheap way to handle them. I proved this with my dogs CUSHING DISEASE. As he had bladder stones or crystals forming fix in less in two weeks.

By the way we would put full strength OAPCV on his lip fold problem every night and he would run and hide at the time, I wouldn't blame him, until I started brushing his teeth with coconut oil.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... 435-1.html

Calcium Oxalate Bladder Stones

These stones are found in certain breeds of dogs as a result of a hereditary condition. Specifically, these dogs lack nephrocalcin, a calcium-binding glycoprotein, which inhibits the development of calcium oxalate crystals in the urinary tract.

Also, dogs with Cushing's disease are predisposed to calcium oxalate bladder stone formation, due to elevated calcium levels in their urine.

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies. ... tones.html

Joe