An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Advice needed?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:27 pm 
Active Forum Member

Mayzee gets spayed in a few weeks. They just told me she had to spend the night. They leave at 6pm and no one is there and then they come back at 8am.
No one will be there all night. They said they want to keep her there to watch her. They won't be there!
She will be in a small crate with a collar on. I am not happy with this. I would think she would be better at home in a crate with me watching her. Am I out of line to go there tomorrow and question it. I never had to do this before. They always came home before.

Post subject: Re: Advice needed?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

Based on what you're telling me, I would cancel the spaying and get it done somewhere else. My last dog was spayed and she didn't need to spend the night. It wouldn't be nice to your dog to leave her alone all night after a surgery. Maybe there is something about this situation that I don't understand or don't know. So I will reserve final judgment, but based on what you're saying, I would go elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:18 pm 
Forum Legend

Agree. Unless there is something else going on, I don't see why she should and if she should stay for being "monitored" and no one is there, then that's just nonsense. I would go elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:51 pm 
Active Forum Member

I don't know, I have had dogs all my life, all of them female, and they all had to stay overnight. My previous dog had a tough time, she went in first thing in the morning, and I knew she would be staying the night, when I called the next day they said I couldn't pick her up until the evening, they said she wasn't handling it to well to go earlier. That was probably an understatement, after I got her home, I really wished that they had kept her another night. I know at my vets, yeah it closes and everyone would go home, but there was someone that stayed overnight, not really monitoring,but just there to check up on the animals during the night. Now, my vet is 24 hour emergency. When Snickie was spayed 6 years ago yes she had to stay overnight and she bounced out of it with flying colors and they said to pick her up first thing in the morning. With her it was like nothing had been done to her, Went to pick her up to put her in the car and she just jumped right in. Brought her home and we stayed outside all day as she perused the yard. I know male dogs usually will go home the same day. I have cats too, and the female cats have to stay overnight also, last time I had a female cat done was 4 years ago, any male cat was picked up later the same day. I know it is hard to leave them, but if you have had this vet right along, and trust him, there shouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:09 pm 
Active Forum Member

Yeah, in my experience, staying overnight for a spay is not uncommon. I've had females stay overnight with no one there, but I had complete confidence and trust in the vet/vet techs working at the clinic. It comes down to what you're comfortable with in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:15 pm 
Active Forum Member

When Jennie was spayed she had a bad reaction to the anesthesia. Her spleen became very enlarged. But my vet did not want to keep her overnight because no one would be there, so she had me pick her up as late as possible and gave me information about the emergency vet clinics that were open 24 hours and that they had confidence in. She also gave me a list of things to watch for and she called me first thing the next morning to see how it went. Everything was fine and Jennie breezed through it all.

I would personally prefer to have her home with me rather than at the clinic alone all night. We all know that Cockers are people dogs and for some it would be torture to stay alone in a strange place. As it is now, Jennie loves going to the vet. She gets excited as soon as we take that off-ramp from the freeway and she has to say Hi to everyone as soon as we get there. I can't imagine she would feel that way about a place where she spent a night alone.

As others have said, it is up to you. You know your dog and you will have to live with the every day consequences of the decision in a way that your vet never will. I would say to trust your gut on this one.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:04 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I would never, for any reason, leave a dog overnight if no one is there. Exactly what is the point? When my girls were spayed they came home where they could rest quietly and be watched. When they were sick enough to need overnight hospitalization, they were in a speciality center with full staff 24/7. Why keep her if there's no one to watch her if there's an issue. That doesn't make sense.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:25 am 
Forum Legend

Vickie wrote:
I would never, for any reason, leave a dog overnight if no one is there. Exactly what is the point? When my girls were spayed they came home where they could rest quietly and be watched. When they were sick enough to need overnight hospitalization, they were in a speciality center with full staff 24/7. Why keep her if there's no one to watch her if there's an issue. That doesn't make sense.

EXACTLY. The problem is not with the dog being there overnight. The problem is with no one being there to monitor them when that is what the whole purpose is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:44 am 
Active Forum Member

I am a bit neurotic about my dogs. Call me overprotective, but cockers are a sensitive breed that are very attached to their owners. For some other dog breeds, it probably wouldn't be as bad... but for a cocker spaniel? Hmm... I wouldn't want to do it. That's just me. Your dog would probably be okay if she did it, it is just something that personally I would not choose to do. But you are not mistreating your dog if you decide to go through with it - they are veterinary professionals.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:25 am 
Forum Legend

No, No, NO!! The only reason for her to be there alone overnight is for them to charge you a boarding fee. ARG!!! Run, don't walk, away from there to a vet who keeps the dogs' best interests first and foremost in their practice.*

Our cockers tend to be really sensitive, and they don't do well in stressful situations: being separated from their people, too much noise- especially from other animals in distress- strange smells, etc.

If she's in a small cage overnight, she will likely pee all over herself. Someone will make a halfhearted attempt to "clean her up" and you will be charged for the mess they've made of her coat.

Dogs should NEVER be left in a kennel/crate/cage with any kind of a collar on!!

Way better for her to be home that night, where she can rest quietly in her own bed, or go about her normal activities- and she can decide, depending on how she feels. The biggest risk after surgery is drug reactions. You know your puppy, and you would know if something is off.

I guess if you otherwise like this vet, a compromise could be to take her back for a quick check the next afternoon.

* IMHO, routinely keeping dogs overnight after spay is part of the same outdated vet protocol as yearly vaccinations. Modern veterinary medicine focuses much more on wellness and the temperament and needs of the animals, not a one-size-fits-all approach. And there are several other cost-cutting reasons to keep a dog overnight- trust me, NONE of them are good for your puppy!

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:15 am 
Active Forum Member

Chris. That is exactly how I feel. Glad I am not the only one. In a crate with a color and peeing on herself. I called and told them I am not comfortable with it and she will talk to the vet and let me know. I am mad about it. And NO ONE there is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:32 am 
Forum Legend

Jeanie,

Go with your instincts which are telling you NO WAY!

Get the first appointment of the day and pick her up as late as you can. Make sure you have pain medications to take home!!!!! Chessie had a terrible spay experience. I believe she did not get her meds like they told me she did at the clinic. (she spit out the pill I gave her so I think she did the same thing to them but they didn't see it) I spent the night on the floor next to her because she was so miserable. Could you imagine how both you and Mayzee would feel if she were all alone? You won't get any sleep if she is not at home.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:05 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Years ago one of the members had a rescue to care for after her spay. She put the dog in her crate with an e collar and went to bed. In the middle of the night when she went to check on her the dog had opened up her incision and was in very bad shape. I remember both her and her husband were either nurses or EMT's(medical professionals) and knew what to do enroute to the emergency vet and they saved the dog. I am quite sure the outcome would have been much different if that dog had been left alone unsupervised in a vet's cage after her spay.

I also question this vet's judgment in leaving a dog unsupervised post op overnight. While some dogs do have difficulty after spaying and neutering the majority do not, and your supervision is much better than the alternative he vet suggests. Stick with your instincts. Mommy always knows best.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:21 pm 
Forum Legend

There is no reason for her to stay overnight, especially with no one there. It wouldn't happen. My girls came home same day with pain/inflammation meds

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:19 pm 
Active Forum Member

[code]the vet called me today to discuss it. I was outside. So she left message and said I should call her Monday. I will. I am not leaving her there at night without someone there. Ifshe can not come home,I will ask to stay there all night. I will see what she says to that one! I am not giving in. I will tell her I will go to another vet!
Or call the vet that is the owner of the vet place. He was a student of mine. I will play that one!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:57 pm 
Active Forum Member

I have had animals for over 25 years and all of them up to my last three girls have always had to stay overnight after a spay and I never even questioned it; until I found my current vet. She requires the major surgery animals in by 8:00 am and they are let go by 4:00 - 6:00 pm. When I asked about them not having to stay the night her reply was "we don't staff our clinic at night she would be better off at home", they do give me the contact information of a 24 hour emergency hospital in case there are any issues overnight. She does ask that I kennel them as much as possible just to keep them quiet, limit the food and water intake (because of the anesthesia).

So if your vet will not agree to letting you take her home, I am with the others I would definitely find a new clinic.

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Lexi ~ Buff ~12/11/2008 - 10/17/2017 [i]and [/i] Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:54 am 
Active Forum Member

I talked to the vet this morning and I can take her home. She said they stay because owners panic that their dog does not act the same and call the emergency vet often. I have never had a problem with any of the others but watch-- this one will be a pain. I will think about it.
I thought about it and she will be coming home with me!!

Last edited by jeanie on Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:03 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Well, I have never had one spend the night. Either spay or neuter, they came home at the end of the day with the collar on and spent the night in the crate with me watching them carefully and getting them out to potty. I'd be cancelling the appointment and looking for a new vet if it was me.

Gone to the Bridge - Laddy - September 2007
Coco Channel RN, RA, RE, CGC - Born 3/4/2001 - Gone to the Bridge 5/27/2014