An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Help....Flea Issues
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:03 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi...I have a Flea issue going on here in Fl. I have (2) dogs a Cocker & a Pomerian & they both are having issues with Fleas. I am about to get the House taken care of to rid the problem there, my question is what type & brand of Flea mediaction should I look into, or should I just consult with my Vet???

Post subject: Re: Help....Flea Issues
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:39 pm 
Forum Legend

Yes, check with your vet - and do your own research on what he recommends - but also look into two other things:

*FOOD GRADE (Very Important) Diatomaceous Earth for your yard. The food grade variety is harmless to pets. You may have to use it frequently (I am not sure what they recommend since fleas are more of a problem in FL);
*Try Quadruped shampoo (All in One) that contains Yucca, that will repel fleas (found online).

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:44 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm in Florida, but fortunately haven't seen any fleas. I have used Nexgard, for ticks, and it worked great on ticks so I would think it would also work well on fleas. You do have to treat your house and yard, though, to gain the upper hand on them if you've already got a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:55 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Just one more thought - treating your house and yard are a good solution if your dogs rarely leave home. I have two fur kids that travel to many different areas with us in an RV or car. For that reason I have to also "treat the dogs" so that they aren't picking up fleas when away from home and bringing them back to home base. We have so many different options than we did 20-30 years ago that at least now it's a manageable problem.

At the Bridge
Lil'Bit-Black, Brandy-Buff, Buddy-Blk&Tan, Teddy-Buff
Molly-Black-no longer at the bridge but now in her daddy's lap

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi....Thanks for the reply. Just started both Dogs on the Nexgard Flea/Tick treatment & so far it's working. I have the exterminator coming to the House on the 16th of this Month to begin Treatment & than I think he will come back 4 weeks later to continue again. In the mean time I am trying to get all the rooms cleaned up so the floors are empty & we can hit as much of the carpet space as possible. My Vet also suggested using Borax on the rugs, raking it in & than vacuming the area seceral hrs later. He said that this will work it's way down to the bottom of the carpet where the eggs & larva stay, as the spraying only gets the top of the carpet done. I am so ITCHY & disgusted from this you have no idea. I have been down in FL for over 20 yrs & never had this problem. I feel bad for the dogs & a failure that this happened, after all I am suppose to look out for my babies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:10 am 
Forum Legend

I have heard (but not yet used) of a cider vinigar and water solution to spray on your animal (for prevention). You might research it a little and give it a try. The smell will subside, so don't let that keep you from trying it.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:23 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

After you vacuum don't forget to get that vacuum bag out of the house or you've just given the little buggers a slightly different bed in your house.

At the Bridge
Lil'Bit-Black, Brandy-Buff, Buddy-Blk&Tan, Teddy-Buff
Molly-Black-no longer at the bridge but now in her daddy's lap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:09 am 
Forum Legend

TinaP wrote:
Yes, check with your vet - and do your own research on what he recommends - but also look into two other things:

*FOOD GRADE (Very Important) Diatomaceous Earth for your yard. The food grade variety is harmless to pets. You may have to use it frequently (I am not sure what they recommend since fleas are more of a problem in FL);
*Try Quadruped shampoo (All in One) that contains Yucca, that will repel fleas (found online).

If using DE EARTH outside it doesn't make a difference food grade or pool grade. I have a friend that has a swimming pool and dumps his DE EARTH from his pool in his yard in Southern Cal. he doesn't have any flea problems. He gave up feeding the birds because he got tired of all the bird poo.

You can treat the carpet or carpets either with borax soap or DE EARTH, but if you have any hardwood floor I would be very careful. Both things need to be down for several weeks or longer as it works it way into their exoskeleton. It grinds into that protection shell and they dry up. This means all sofa and chairs and under the cushions plus under sofa and chairs as hiding places.

Now how to treat the yard, you can spray with beneficial nematodes ask your nursery about them not a big box store. This will take months for them to infect the fleas ants most larvae stage insects.

In treating your pets the chemicals, are hard on their systems, livers and kidneys.

Good luck,

Joe