The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Introducing Satin! (Available for adoption)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:02 pm 
Active Forum Member

Satin is my first rescue dog, of course a cocker. She is spayed and about 6-7 years old. Her parents had to find her a new home because they got another dog that plays too rough with her so she became aggressive. I'm fostering her to keep her out of a shelter. She arrived about 4 hours ago and is settling in. So far she's met my fur-kids, explored the house and back yard, and sat in the crate(jail) barking softly. She finally got quiet so I let her out.

Oh my goodness, she is a sweetie. By the happy wag of her full tail beating against my back, she is a total lap-dog lover. She gives lots of kisses. I've been having fun admiring her, comparing her to the breed standard. Despite her name, her coat is more velvet than satin, but the texture is likely due to the shave down not long ago to combat a flea infestation. She looks more like a black lab puppy at the moment, but by the look of her fluffiness, she'll have a beautiful fluffy coat and look like a cocker again quickly. She has amazing eyes. When the fire truck siren went off, she let out a howl of the same pitch, it was too funny. She lets me hold her, roll her over, and touch her paws. She's not used to her tail being touched, nor am I used to touching a full tail, hehe.

All and all, she seems like a perfectly lovable, loving house pet.

Last edited by Lizzy on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Introducing Satin!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:42 pm 
Forum Legend

Satin sounds lovely. Please post pictures when you can!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:38 am 
Active Forum Member

Yeah pleas post pics

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:04 pm 
Active Forum Member

She just grabbed a tennis ball, took it to the couch, and is rolling over on it, hahaha... Now she's trying to get my boy to play with her doing the play bow thing. She is a hoot!

Attachment:
SatinFace.jpg
SatinFace.jpg [ 141.43 KiB | Viewed 4314 times ]

Attachment:
SatinBody.jpg
SatinBody.jpg [ 189.32 KiB | Viewed 4314 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:23 pm 
Active Forum Member

Tummy full with dinner(with turkey broth for yumminess and a vitamin A pill to see if that helps her mildly dry skin), not even 30 hours here and she's figured out how to use the doggie-door. Such a smart girl.

...She found her way back inside. The food has hit her system; away she goes working my gang into play! Around the corner they go in a playful game of chase!

...Now to plop on the couch. :wink

Attachment:
Couch.jpg
Couch.jpg [ 147.02 KiB | Viewed 4285 times ]

She's not so sure of the camera shutter sounds... but now I see why she likes this spot, the marrow bone is there! Munch, munch, munch!

Attachment:
MarrowBone.jpg
MarrowBone.jpg [ 161.76 KiB | Viewed 4285 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:37 pm 
Forum Legend

beautiful girl and she'll look gorgeous with a fuller coat. i am glad she has you. i don't know the whole story about her owners, but if i brought a new dog home and the pups didn't get along, i would say my first dog would deserve to stay in her home and not get kicked out. i would rehome the new pup - as sad as that would be. i hope she finds a forever home soon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:30 am 
Active Forum Member

Yes, I can't wait for the fluff to come in. I started hand-stripping her back last night. She whimpered a bit, but then again I can tell already she just is a whimperer in general, but she tolerated it. I cut her nails last night too and she just laid there and gave my hand kisses. Going to do another stripping session shortly, I can see how glossy her coat is. The real challenge is going to be in removing the mild build up near the gums, aside from that, her teeth are in excellent condition and very white.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

Satin's first time at the local park was a success. She made friends with a boy(who wants to own a thousand dogs when he gets a house) and he took her up to everyone in the playground and she said hi, snuggling and giving kisses. The noise of the kids playing didn't bother her. While she definitely noticed the toddlers, she was super friendly and crouched submissively. She even played with her tennis ball. Satin did not care for a hat a lady wore; when the lady took the hat off, she was willing to approach. Two people were willing to help spread the word to find her a home. :joy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:03 pm 
Active Forum Member

So sweet. I miss our girl so much. Can't wait till this weekend when we get our new addition....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

Not bad for a first time stacking, note the under-turned tail. Satin says, "What are you having me do?!"

Attachment:
FirstStack.jpg
FirstStack.jpg [ 132.95 KiB | Viewed 4193 times ]

And the trimming begins... dun dun dun... Satin is scared(trembles and balks) of the hair trimmer noise, so I switched to shears. I had to get rid of that collar ruffle. :goof Her neck is so short that I feel like taking more off for the illusion. Work in progress(didn't want to push it), but here it is:

Attachment:
Ruffle-Free.jpg
Ruffle-Free.jpg [ 128.92 KiB | Viewed 4193 times ]

I switched my gang's food recently; the new serving size is a smidge smaller, so now the normal serving size is apparently leaving my gang hungry: my boy found the bones up on a table, then shared it, then got another, then shared it... so now he's begging from me, so I got another, Satin stole it when he walked off, so now he's begging me again. :gig

wbowen70 wrote:
So sweet. I miss our girl so much. Can't wait till this weekend when we get our new addition....

You found a new one already?! Where'd you find it? Do you have a name picked out?

Post subject: Re: Introducing Satin! (Available for adoption)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

Satin did a tiny bit of the cocker piddle thing. I got her a bit too excited. Teeheehee.

Her tail is almost always going. When walking close by my boy, her tail went tap tap tap against him and he paused in wonder.

She's being super cuddly tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

After a number of days of not wanting to eat, Satin is back eating with a little pointing at the bowl. She's doing much better about letting me strip her back and I figured out it was the noise of the clipper that was bothering her. After finally figuring out how to get rid of the clipper's noise, I was able to finish her head.

She's settling in more: sleeping with me and the gang(as opposed to alone on a couch), cuddling next to the gang, and bullying the smaller girl along with the gang. :bang My gang still isn't catching on to her cues of playing chase every time she does it, but they occasionally will.

She's had considerable interest, but she's not found quite the right home. I really want it to be the perfect home and cockers have specific needs that aren't right for everyone.

It turns out she has an affinity for chasing squirrels... and she wants to sit on my lap while riding in the car. She enjoys gazing out the window in the front of the house, watching outside(and of course barking briefly at the passers-by). When gardening in the front yard, she briefly whimpers at me from the other side of the fence.

Post subject: Re: Introducing Satin! (Adoption pending)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:15 pm 
Active Forum Member

Satin got a bath and went to meet people again today. They drove 45 minutes to come see her. :hp I gave her a bath(she was great, stayed in the sink), blow out, and tidy up trim(her coat keeps growing! Her tail is looking like a setter. :raz )

and... *drumroll*...

Satin has found a (potential) home! YAY! I'm so excited. It's an ideal home for her. :hp

:YAY :YAY :YAY :YAY :YAY

Doing a home check in a few days then releasing her to the new owners. Cross your fingers for her that everything goes smoothly!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:00 am 
Forum Legend

Love reading her updates and congratulations on her potential home! :th-up

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:47 am 
Active Forum Member

:dk They backed out when it came time to make the monetary commitment(vet care deposit or donation to ASCF). Oh well, Satin had a nice dinner to celebrate.

Bit of a roller coaster ride for me though, in some way I'm glad Satin doesn't know what's going on.

She cuddled with me in bed last night. :love

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:26 am 
Forum Legend

Ugh. Better to find out now they aren't quite committed to her care and the expenses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:21 pm 
Active Forum Member

So after pouting over the last week and taking the time off from weeding through potential parents... (It is time consuming.), it's time to get back in the saddle again.

Satin has been playing fetch more often and one of my girls is joining in. (Satin doesn't grab it away from her if she gets it first, unlike her brother.) She's figured out getting mommy out of bed requires much climbing all over her and licking her face.

My girls joined Satin on a pack walk tonight. She walked wonderfully, as usual, and waited patiently for her turn to get disconnected from the leash upon returning home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:15 am 
Active Forum Member

I think Satin has a secret desire to dance. She was watching me with much enthusiasm, so I held her front paws up and danced with her. She seemed to enjoy it. :happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:12 am 
Forum Legend

She sounds like quite the character! :hp

I admire what you are doing. I would find it so hard to foster and let them go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:38 am 
Active Forum Member

To be fair, I did take note that I have enough dogs for my own Fly Ball team with her around.

She has started snuggling by my head, like my girls do; although, they have no tails to rap against my face while they do it. :gig

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:27 pm 
Forum Legend

Lizzy, for some reason I keep expecting an announcement from you that you are keeping Satin :gig :gig :gig :gig :gig

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:55 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

Chris Gomes wrote:
Lizzy, for some reason I keep expecting an announcement from you that you are keeping Satin :gig :gig :gig :gig :gig

Me, too! :sml

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:18 pm 
Active Forum Member

lol, don't jinx me!!! I promised myself the next dog I get will be a quality show dog.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:52 pm 
Active Forum Member

I caught my friend-- a devout cat person-- giving Satin lots of love. :hp

Attachments:
Satin Getting Love2.jpg
Satin Getting Love2.jpg [ 88.21 KiB | Viewed 3204 times ]