An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: We also need help finding a puppy in CA, Oregon or WA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:36 pm 
Forum Member

My husband, Rick, and I are searching for a Cocker puppy. We live in Exeter California which is right in the middle of the state. We had a pair of Cockers when we were newly married (42 years ago!!!), then a Springer Spaniel and finally a Beagle who recently passed away at 15 years old. We are retired and live in a great spot for dogs, with 8 acres to roam as well as a large fenced yard. We would like to adopt an 8 week old California pup any time after February 15. We will be traveling through Oregon and Washington to visit family before the 15th, so we could easily get our new baby up there before the 15th. Can anyone help us?

Post subject: Re: We also need help finding a puppy in CA, Oregon or WA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:32 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Just a reminder that per our forum rules, suggestions of breeders in reply to Rick & Cathy's question should be sent to them PRIVATELY... either via email or via the forum's private message system.

I'd also like to throw in my personal advice to Rick & Cathy, or anyone looking for a Cocker puppy...

The best advice I can give you is to be very careful in choosing a breeder. Make absolutely sure that you only deal with breeders who do OFA and CERF testing to their adult dogs prior to breeding. This is like a litmus test of Cocker breeders… the good breeders do these tests and the puppy mills, backyard breeders, and clueless newbies do not do these tests. So, one of the very first things to ask breeders that you talk to is whether they do OFA and CERF testing to their adult dogs. Once you learn of a breeder that does not do OFA and CERF tests, even if they attempt to convince you that there is no need for the testing for one reason or another… don’t waste any further time talking to them… just move on to the next breeder until you find one that does the testing.

There are LOTS of health problems in the Cocker Spaniel world now… it’s one of the reasons I retired from breeding Cockers. To avoid getting saddled with a dog that will lifelong health problems, you have to be really careful to only deal with the right kind of Cocker breeder. Asking the OFA/CERF question is one of the keys to finding the right kind of Cocker breeder.

Jim Zim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:40 am 
Active Forum Member

I know that people love to have puppies, but please consider going to a rescue to get a cocker spaniel. They usually have puppies if that is what you want. There are great cocker spaniels at many rescues that need homes. Unless you want to breed a cocker spaniel, get one that needs a good home.

Attachments:
Photo of Teddy at the Shelter 2011.jpg
Photo of Teddy at the Shelter 2011.jpg [ 8.74 KiB | Viewed 1131 times ]

[color=#0000BF]Teddy (Tri) Our Prince DOB: 1/23/09 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (1/23/11)
Calvin - Our 2nd Prince DOB: 9/12/11 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (9/12/15) - RIP 9/25/16

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:34 am 
Forum Legend

Go to infodog for local dog shows in California. http://www.infodog.com/show/state_show_ ... m?state=ca The other near by states would be listed there to. Good luck on your hunting. I bet these dogs will have all the major testing done.

You can also check out (second chance cockers rescue)

Joe