The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: How to get my puppy groomed?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:16 am 
Active Forum Member

Mayzee was groomed at the breeders but she told me I should keep her back long. Show dogs now do that, I guess? She is not going to be a show dog.
She goes next week to the groomer. I have always had the back short and the feathers cleaned up,but left. She said just thin back or use #7 clipper? What should I do?

Post subject: Re: How to get my puppy groomed?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:19 pm 
Forum Legend

My wife likes the ten, I like the seven, it's your choice. One thing is get the puppy use to the clipper noise. Massage the body all over pulling the legs and playing with the pads pushing on the body. Hope this helps in trimming the nails. We need photos.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:42 pm 
Forum Legend

It's honestly just your preference and whatever you do, it's going to grow back so you can always go back to a long coat and make all kinds of changes as she grows.

i groom Cici at home now and haven't yet gotten used to a stripping knife or all those tools they use on the long-haired backs to keep them flat.if you are not going to show her, I would just use the seven on the back. 10 is suuuuper short. I use the seven on Cici's back and the 5 or 3/4 on her lower half/belly in the summer to leave a bit of chubby length. In cooler months, I am growing her skirt a bit and her legs are fluffy, so if you want Mayzee's legs fluffier, tell the groomer to only scissor them or specify the length so they know. i didn't specify once and Cici's legs came back so short!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

I know to mess with ears, legs, mouth , nails etc. I have done that since I got her. I have a table I brush her on and got her use to the dryer by gradually getting her use to it. She does fine on the table. Her breeder had messed with all of the above before I got her. She is three months old now. I have to resize pictures to post. I have posted some of her on other post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:43 pm 
Forum Legend

Jeanie,

If your not planning on showing Mayzee then just get her groomed how you like it. I'd print out pictures of grooms I like and make notes on what you like about each one. Then work with your groomer to customize the best look for Mayzee.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:17 pm 
Forum Legend

Personally, I love the natural back, i.e. Not clippered, but thinned with a Mars Coat King.. But it totally depends on what type of coat the dog has. My black-n-tan puppy Sophie, 14 mo now, has a natural back. Her coat is soooo nice, compared to my black and white parti girl Cricket, whose coat is just like Cotton, dense, fine, and mats terribly.

Sophie is in full coat, and it's way easier to take care of than Cricket's, just because of the type of hair. It takes me 2.5 hours to dry Cricket, if her coat is more than an inch or so long. Sophie's full coat dries completely in just about an hour.

If I were you, I would ask the groomer Not to shave her back. She's little still, and as she grows and her hair gets longer, you can see what "look" you like on her.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:15 am 
Active Forum Member

I agree with Chris on the natural back, I believe that it is easier and quicker to maintain than clipping the back, and looks a lot nicer, and it is healthier for their skin. I remember once reading that for each hair follicle there is between 15 - 20 hairs. Then we wonder why these dogs have skin problems. I've been through that one, as has Jeanie. I remember clipping Snickie's back a couple of times and hating it. I let it grow out, and took her to a groomer and asked for it to be stripped, ( actually for them it is called carding). when I picked her up, I loved the look. I was scared to try it myself, did a lot of research and found that to try it, you could use a 10 blade, not on the clipper, and holding it on an angle, run it through the dog, like a furminater without the handle, I did that and I was surprised at the dead hair that came out. It is just like combing the hair, and the procedure last a lot longer than the clipping. Whenever I see a lot of wispy hair growing out I take out the deshedder and run it through her, needless to say the spring is the worst time. I love seeing a nice shiny back and not a clipped dull back. I also think that they look slimmer in a natural back, in my opinion they look heavier and broader then what they are, when clipped.

Here is a link on carding a cocker, yes it is a full coated cocker, but you can still do it with a skirt clipped off and legs trimmed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8YuL0E6LiM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:43 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I've always kept George in natural coat, just a coat king to take the fluff out.

Spaniels are the best dogs!!