Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Oliver did very well over the Christmas holidays
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:35 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Oliver has always loved to be in the middle of everything, LOL, but I was a little unsure of how things would go with all of the craziness of the holidays now that he can't see or hear, but he turned out to be a trooper.

Christmas Eve, my daughter and the girls were here for our traditional "night before Christmas" dinner and their gifts from us. Oliver helped the girls find the pickle on the tree, and then offered to help them open their gifts. Oliver seemed to enjoy all of the activity -- I think he could sense the excitement and joy from the kids. After they left for home, Oliver got to open his gifts. He got a squeaky frog that he particularly liked and played with it for almost an hour. It's been a LONG time since we've seen him play like a puppy. He would throw the frog and then work so hard to locate it again and again. That was our Christmas Miracle. On Christmas day, we debated about taking Oliver to my parent's house, or one of us staying home with him. We took him with the understanding that if it was too much, we wouldn't stay. My parent's house isn't real big, but the crowds there always are on the holidays. Oliver and my granddaughters sought each other out and mostly hung out together. I was so touched to see how Emily watched out for her little buddy ... to the point of the two of them crawling under a table (with treats!) to take a quite time out together. One nephew brought his bouncy little dog ... after it wouldn't leave Oliver alone, I finally asked that he put his dog on a leash or hold his dog. Cute dog, but no manners, and I didn't think it was okay for Oliver to be harassed. All in all, I was amazed at how well Oliver handled it all. He never appeared stressed, and when tired, found a place to nap. There is no doubt that he enjoyed his day and all of the fuss. Yesterday and today we all stayed close to home so he could have "catch up on naps" days.

Attachments:
tn_12-24-15 (81)ab.jpg
tn_12-24-15 (81)ab.jpg [ 283.39 KiB | Viewed 1294 times ]
tn_12-24-15 (124).JPG
tn_12-24-15 (124).JPG [ 233.82 KiB | Viewed 1294 times ]
tn_12-24-15 (127)a.jpg
tn_12-24-15 (127)a.jpg [ 165.7 KiB | Viewed 1294 times ]
tn_12-25a-15 (183)a.jpg
tn_12-25a-15 (183)a.jpg [ 179.15 KiB | Viewed 1294 times ]

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

Post subject: Re: Oliver did very well over the Christmas holidays
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:09 pm 
Forum Legend

Cindy: I LOVE the last picture of Oliver and your granddaughter under the table. We have pretty quiet holidays now that we don't have any family nearby, but I remember wanting to crawl under a table or two in the past when things were just a little too much. I can't believe how big the girls are already - and how beautiful! We have the same problem with our Waylon. Both his sight and hearing are very poor or non-existent. He recently had eye surgery for an ulcerated cornea and that was scary, but he's doing well at almost 15. I'm not sure he would be as sweet with little ones, like Oliver is, but maybe he would surprise me. He's never been around little ones too much.

It sounds like you had a great Christmas and I'm glad you were able to have nap day, too. That's what I did a lot of on Christmas day. A good book, a few naps and it was a great Christmas for me, too.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:25 pm 
Forum Legend

Cindy I am so happy to see Oliver still in action. I have enjoyed his pictures all through the years. Its sad he is becoming deaf and blind but I am sure his spirit is intact. Glad to see the girls are growing up like weed. I am sure Oliver enjoys their company and has grown to love them. Is unbelievable how fast are they growing up. It was yesterday Emily was just born. Hope you have a great Holiday season and New Years.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:46 am 
Forum Legend

Those pictures of Oliver and your grand daughter are adorable. I love to see it when little kids are taught how to behave around dogs - and vice versa. The love between them is apparent :hp

It's so sad to see our furbabies getting older. But I've found that sometimes the impaired hearing actually makes it a bit easier for them to get the rest they need, as they're not so distracted by all the hubbub going on around them! I hope Oliver will be around to share many more holidays with the forum. I remember fondly the antics of Oliver and Annie through the years - what a pair they were!

Wishing you and your family health and happiness in the new year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:46 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

TinaP wrote:
Cindy: I LOVE the last picture of Oliver and your granddaughter under the table. We have pretty quiet holidays now that we don't have any family nearby, but I remember wanting to crawl under a table or two in the past when things were just a little too much. I can't believe how big the girls are already - and how beautiful! We have the same problem with our Waylon. Both his sight and hearing are very poor or non-existent. He recently had eye surgery for an ulcerated cornea and that was scary, but he's doing well at almost 15. I'm not sure he would be as sweet with little ones, like Oliver is, but maybe he would surprise me. He's never been around little ones too much.

It sounds like you had a great Christmas and I'm glad you were able to have nap day, too. That's what I did a lot of on Christmas day. A good book, a few naps and it was a great Christmas for me, too.

Hi Tina! Happy New Year! Where has the time gone? I am so sorry to hear that you are having similar problems with Waylon's hearing and sight. These furbabies have given us so much throughout their years that we will do all we can to continue giving them the best quality of life. It makes me crazy every time I hear of an elderly pet being given up or traded in for a new younger model.

You must have been a wreak having your boy undergoing surgery as a senior; it's scary at any time, but when they are older, there's so much more that can go wrong. Oliver has a fairly large fatty tumor near his tail. We had it biopsied to be sure that it was nothing more, and have been watching it for some time with the hope that it is something that he can live with. It has now gotten larger and we may have to consider having it removed. I am so nervous about putting him through any surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. These dogs always have a way of surprising us. Ollie had never been around little ones that much, and being the prince that he is, I was a bit concerned about how he would be with my granddaughters, but he LOVES them. Both Emily and Julia are amazing with Oliver, so kind and gentle. They have their own family pets and have been taught right from the beginning to have respect for them. Kids are what they see around them … and Oliver sensed our love and protectiveness for the girls and he simply followed suit.

Emily was no more than three; We were out on one of our long walks, me pulling her in her wagon, when a large dog came charging out if nowhere barking it’s fool head off. I moved to block Emily only to hear this little voice from behind me saying, “Don’t be afraid. We’re gentle people, we won’t hurt you.” Most kids would have been scared to death and panicked – I was both amazed and so proud of her.

Made in the

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:58 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Darra wrote:
Those pictures of Oliver and your grand daughter are adorable. I love to see it when little kids are taught how to behave around dogs - and vice versa. The love between them is apparent :hp

It's so sad to see our furbabies getting older. But I've found that sometimes the impaired hearing actually makes it a bit easier for them to get the rest they need, as they're not so distracted by all the hubbub going on around them! I hope Oliver will be around to share many more holidays with the forum. I remember fondly the antics of Oliver and Annie through the years - what a pair they were!

Wishing you and your family health and happiness in the new year.

Happy New Year, Darra! Thank you for your kind words. It's important to all of us that our girls are respectful of all animals, starting right from the beginning -- nothing less would be tolerated. I wish more families took the time to guide their little ones in the right and wrong way to interact with animals they know and those they don't. It is such an important life lesson. I believe that it makes for better and more compassionate human beings. Oliver and my granddaughters totally adore one another. It doesn't hurt that he gets special treats only from them, and the girls love how loving and responsive Oliver is to them.

I miss Oliver announcing that the the door bell rang, etc. It's been extra hard in that he lonothing wrong with my boy's nose, so he still enjoys playing with his treat ball and treat puzzle games.st both his sight and hearing at about the same time. I try hard to make sure that there is a lot of hands on interaction each day. Luckily, there is

Made in the

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:26 pm 
Forum Legend

I am so proud of Emily. She got the love of animals at such young age.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:16 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

may holly wrote:
I am so proud of Emily. She got the love of animals at such young age.

Thank you. I know I'm a little biased in that I'm Emily grandma, but I am so proud of the person she is becoming. For the most part, she's a calm but outgoing child (waving and calling out "hi neighbor" to anyone we pass while out walking and saying "hello ---" to all of the dogs and cats, and a few chickens, we pass on our usual routes). She is amazing with her baby sister and all of our family pets. She is more caring and responsible than a lot of adults I know. Right before Christmas she lost "Dora" her four year old guinea pig, and was so sad. Although she helps with feeding, brushing, etc. of all the animals; She was Dora's main caretaker (always under a watchful eye). Emily wanted to go with her Mommy to take Dora to the Vet's office to ask them to help get Dora safely to the Rainbow Bridge (cremation). The staff was so impressed with how mature Emily is for her age and how she cares about animals, that office staff sent Emily a sympathy card -- each person wrote their own message to Emily on it. It was such a kind thing for them to do, and it's something that Emily will always treasure (people who love animals are the best). Although it takes a lot of work, time, and effort, I wish more parents would see the value of raising their kids with pets.

Made in the