The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: The loss of a beloved vet...........
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:33 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I know some of you can relate or would feel the same if you were in my shoes. Last week I found out that my vet of almost 10 years has left the clinic where we have been since 1986. I really cannot believe she won't be there for us anymore. She was there when we had to say goodbye to Lacey and there when we got Maya and she had parvo. She was there through all of Gingers issues and helped us say goodbye to her too. Then again when we got Belle and she developed IMT (immune disorder that destroys the blood platelets) she was there through that and everything else that came with our little Belle and our other two. She knew my dogs so well. I trusted her with my girls. I am beyond sad that she has left but angry that the clinic has kept everything hush, hush. I saw a post on their FB page that made me think something was up and I called the place and asked if she was there yet and was told no, she left two months ago!! We were in with digestive issues in Sept but thankfully hadn't had any other visits since. Due for routine stuff in Feb. I had refilled a prescription in Nov and it still had her name on it but she wasn't even there anymore. I took Christmas cookies in the week before last and they never said anything! I talked to one of the receptionists this past weekend, outside of work, and she told me there were informed to not say anything to anyone about it. I found out a few things though and apparently her leaving was due to management issues, I won't go into the details but the owner of the place is much more focused on his large animal practice than the small animal one, which is so sad. This place has always had a huge turnaround of small animal vets and over the years (until Maya) it really didn't bother me all that much as we never went in but once a year for shots. However when this vet got there (Maya was her first parvo patient) we really, really liked her. She was so open to me researching stuff and me questioning everything. She was very caring and to say I am going to miss her is an understatement. I have literally been crying over this, it is so upsetting to me. I feel like I have lost a family member even though I never saw her outside the clinic. I did find out that she is most likely in town until the first of the year but then is closing on a home in a town about 2-3 hours away. I sent her a Christmas card and thank you letter to her home address, hoping she gets it. Her home is for sale but as far as I know has not been sold yet. This clinic has not found a replacement for her yet, in fact they still don't have a permanent replacement for the other small animal vet that left over a year ago! So I got a recommendation for another vet in town and Angel and I are going to see him today. Hopefully I like him, I know several people that use him and like him. I had our old clinic transfer all the girls records over. I will not go back to the old place even if they do find a new vet and even though it is literally like 3 minutes from my house. Really bummed it is going to take a long time to build a relationship with the new vet and for him to know my girls.

Other than this everyone has been doing well, minus the digestive nightmare that ran through our place back in Sept.

Hope you all are going well and have a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and an even better New Year!!

ImageIMG_7053nb by rzyg, on Flickr

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06

Post subject: Re: The loss of a beloved vet...........
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:02 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I am so sorry. It is sad when we lose a trusted health care professional. I have seen this type of thing in the past and never could understand it. To me it seems it had to do with profits.

At the bridge Cindy (mut), Sammy (ACS), Sparky (ECS), Cindy II (ACS), Lucky (Cat)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:19 pm 
Forum Legend

Donna,

I'm so sorry for your loss... and yes it is indeed a loss.

My vet retired 4 years ago and I'm still looking for a new one. I've stayed with his old practice but never felt the same "connection" with the partner. I've tried several other vet offices... lucky for me we have many in the area. I'm still looking. I hope you find the new vet is just as sensitive and knowledgeable as your old one.

Glad everyone is well....except that digestive nightmare. Merry Christmas to you and your crew!

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:51 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Oh, Donna, I do understand a bit of what you are going through. The Vet we used for close to thirty years retired. We stayed with the practice, as we liked (not loved) the partner who took over ... and then two years later, he sold the practice and we hated the woman vet who bought out the practice. It was all about the money and not what was best for the animal. We had a big disagreement over Annie (who had cancer) getting a rabies shot! I was told that in an emergency, Annie would not be welcome if she needed to stay overnight. I brought her our state forms that would exempt Annie. Even though she agreed that a sick dog should not be vaccinated, she's have no part of it, and told me that she could still be held libel is Annie bit anyone. We left that practice. We found another Vet; It's taking time for us to mutually understand and respect each other and work together, but we are getting there. He truly cares about the animal and will do all in his power to treat them with skill and kindness. Now, Oliver's ophthalmologist has left the large specialty practice that he's been going to, and hasn't been replaced. There are not many canine ophthalmologists in our state ... the one we chose to replace her was seriously injured in an auto accident. Oliver is due for his next exam in a couple of months so we can renew his meds, so once again, we'll be searching and will probably have to go with whoever will be accepting new patients, and it may end up being a bit of traveling for us. I do hope you find someone you like and will be able to work with. Sometimes it does take a few visits to get to know and trust one another.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!