Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: New Daisy dilemma, big trip
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:30 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

We are going home for Christmas. There is a catch... home is 700 miles away...in a city downtown. The drive is one concern as we have never done more than an hour and a half but she does love the car so I am hoping this will not be a big problem. I am not planning on going straight through and have checked for dog friendly places to stay along the way but any suggestions to make the trip better would be appreciated.
I think that the bigger issue is being in a city. She is a very country dog. As long as we don't leave the house ( We'll be staying with my grandsons, who adore her) she'll be fine but it would be fun, for me, to take advantage of what a city has to offer. My experience with the breed is limited and I wonder how adaptable she'll be to such totally foreign surroundings. I thought it might be a good idea to get a muzzle and at least eliminate the worry of her biting someone if she is freaked out. Went to a pet big box store and found that due to her delightful face shape none of them fit her comfortably. Once again, any advice is appreciated.
Its been 20 years since I spent Christmas with my family and I am looking forward to it but Daisy's comfort is more important to me so I am nervous that this could be horrible for her.

Post subject: Re: New Daisy dilemma, big trip
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:03 pm 
Active Forum Member

Not a whole lot of advice from me, except to say that it is smart of you to take the extra, just in case precaution of getting a muzzle for if you take Daisy out and about in a strange environment. Muzzles, to me, are demonized in society for really no good reason. It's the smart, aware owner who knows their dog well enough to do what it takes to make both the dog and themselves comfortable. I hope you find one that fits, although you may have to order one online that is specially made for shorter muzzled dogs like cockers. I also hope you have a wonderful Christmas with family!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:15 pm 
Forum Legend

If you feel that Daisy is not socialized well, I would suggest just asking strangers not to approach or pet her until you do know. She does do well with the grandkids, so I would use them to entertain each other. A muzzle might scare Daisy or make her fight it. Just keep her on leash before you open the door. Do short trips outside so as not to over-stimulate her with all of the activity.
If you do things gradually and patiently you will hopefully get a dog that will remember the lesson(s).
Be sure she has her collar and tags/microchip, pictures and high quality treats for rewarding her for doing good behaviors.
Oh, do take breaks as much as you can when driving to keep you both refreshed.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:03 pm 
Active Forum Member

You might check with your vet about the muzzle size. Mine has a variety of muzzles in the office and they had a couple that fit my Honey, who was NOT cooperative with certain procedures. Most of their's were pretty short and didn't prevent her from panting or licking, just kept her from opening her mouth wide enough to bite.

I got one for her at Petco for when I had to work on her 'sensitive' areas. It is nylon and mesh. I checked and they still have it. I got a size 2. She didn't love it, but she tolerated it.

It can be hard to resort to a muzzle, but in my experience it is better than risking a bite, both because you don't want someone else to be hurt and because you don't want animal control to decide to put your beloved pet to sleep.

If you do get one, be sure to use it a bit a home before you go on your trip. You want her to have experience with it in the least stressful environment possible.

Good luck!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:35 pm 
Forum Legend

Maybe instead of a muzzle you can buy a Halti lead. They go around the muzzle but still allow the dog to breathe normally. It's also good for directing them to walk where you want them to walk.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:37 pm 
Forum Legend

If she's not used to wearing a collar, personally I would want a harness on her. Scared cockers are very good at slipping their collars. The last thing you want is for her to be running loose in the city.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:36 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

First of all - does Daisy tend to snap at folks when she's not sure? Is that why you think she might possibly bite somebody while in the city?

Personally, I think the car trip will be fine. Ensure she has tags with your cell phone number on her collar and/or harness (or both!). I'd also recommend having her microchipped and registering the chip, so that if anything happens anywhere along the way, she can get home fairly easily. Second, have a folder with all of her vaccination and health information with you, just in case of emergency. Some states have differing vaccination laws, so make sure you have your ducks in a row. Carry a recent photo of her, just in case.

If she's not used to the city, I wouldn't have her out a whole lot in the city. She should be okay in the house, since she already lives in one, but I think the city would likely stress her out. It's noisy, looks different, smells different and feels different. She could very easily panic if a bus goes by (my dogs are city dogs and still needed time to get used to the sound of busses versus cars) or if a car backfires. Why take the risk? She should be fine in the house while you're out, particularly if you brought a crate with you.

The poster that mentioned the negative connotation that muzzles have is also right. Yes, if she tends to be snappy when she's unsure or stressed (which is totally okay - it's a normal reaction) it's the safest option. But if she's going to be that stressed, why put her through it?

Just trying to look at things from a slightly different angle . . .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:06 pm 
Forum Legend

We had this problem when we brought Cici home from rescue. Every pedestrian was a threat. Loud noises, buses, the noisy UPS truck, anyone getting too close made her lunge and bark. We knew she was just afraid.

We used a tiny, not so powerful water gun and treats to train her, but I know this is not applicable for your trip.

Please try the halti/head collar. Another thing that worked with Cici is staying calm and keeping the leash short/keeping her close so she felt protected. Don't let her walk out in front. If you get nervous, the dog gets nervous too and I did not realize that until a trainer told me.

You could also take her around in a stroller if you can borrow one and let her out to walk when you feel comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:40 pm 
Forum Legend

I traveled multiple times with Holly around 900 miles. These are some tips.
If she is not to good riding place her in a crate with a blanket. (Holly was awful in the crate so I bought a dog seatbelt to keep her restrained.
Don't feed her too much while on route as she can throw up and be car sick.
Be sure where you are going to take her has a fence or a system to keep her indoors as she can bolted out of the door. For your peace of mind bring a crate with you to keep her calm in a new environment.
As well be sure she is restrained in the car. The very first time I took Holly on a long trip she was not restrained and she bolted/jumped from the car when I stopped for food on a drive through. She was looking out the window and jumped as she was tired of been I n the car. Needless to say I ran like a maniac until I caught her.
One time we flew home and I made a tag for her collar with my dad's address and phone number as well as kept her with her original one.
Check with your vet and see if you can get something for the trip: anxiety. car sickness medication.
Plan your route so you can make stops for potty break in places that are secure and dog friendly.
Triple AAA has a book with all the dog friendly hotels. To my surprise I stayed in one (which I don't remember the brand) that have a dog fence area.
Have a great time and enjoy Christmas.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:34 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

I think that I am getting this part of Christmas together. Vaccination certifications.. check. Microchip, booked to do. Tag with cellphone and other relevant numbers plus statement of on vacation. Her normal tag has a message that she is timid, speak softly and pet often. I put her crate in the car and am encouraging her to hang there on drives. She doesn't really like it for long as she can't see out the window but she does go in it when I tell her to so that should help both at the boys' house and in the car.
I don't see her bolting out of the house if a door is open being a problem but I am taking a baby gate with me for the front door, just in case.
Still on the hunt for a muzzle or collar that is comfortable for her and a friend has made her a t-shirt with please don't pat on it. She does go on the attack when frightened.
I am taking a pile of knitting with me so if going out is not a good idea, I have lots to do.
I think we are ready but I am nervous about it. There have been so many extreme changes in the last couple of months for us and this is adding another. It does seem that as long as the two of us stick together, we are both fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:52 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

It sounds like you've worked hard to get everything in order.

Given that she's timid, I will repeat my suggestion that while you're out and about in the city (Toronto? Montreal?) you leave your sweet girl at home. I just think it's way more fair to her than exposing her to so many stressors at once.

Nice to see another knitter here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:19 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Toronto, mostly, but some in the rural areas around. We live in a village that isn't so much a village as a few houses, a couple of farms and a lot of forest. I knit for a living so quiet and slow is pretty much our life. Even if I don't get to go out much, just being with the family will be a treat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:17 pm 
Active Forum Member

It does sound like you have things well in hand. I'll add my vote to trying a head collar. The beauty of the head collar is that it will bring her head around toward you and away from other people when you pull back on the leash. My Honey was an unpredictable biter and I never knew when she was going to go for someone. I used a head collar when walking her so I could control her head when someone would approach and not listen when I asked them not to pet her. Because she had bitten others in the past, I used two leashes. One in my left hand attached to a good harness with a handle on the back and the other in my right hand attached to the head collar. I allowed very little slack on head collar leash. You would think that setup would warn people to stay away, but more than one person reached for her anyway. Fortunately, no one was bitten.

I use a dog seat belt with Jennie. I found one that attaches to the child seat connector and has a strong carabiner to attach to her harness. She can reach the window to see, but only enough to get her nose out. That allows me to leash her up before I unhook the seat belt and let her out. Be sure to keep her collar and tags on when in the car.

Have a good trip and enjoy your time with family.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:11 pm 
Forum Legend

I have a martingale collar and leash all in one, haven't used it in years it's about inch wide. I got mine from a dog show but here is their web site. http://www.allhoundsapparel.com/custom/list.asp?c=20352 1 Inch Small to medium dogs such as: Cocker Spaniel, Beagle, or Basset Hound.

Martingale Leashes are a one-piece collar and leash assembly. The trim selections are for the ‘collar portion’ of the leash only. The attached lead will the background webbing color of your choice. Won't slip out of this and it's wide enough that it shouldn't hurt the cocker. I like it as it has a lope so you can up your hand through so the the dog wants to run off it has to go over your hand,. It comes with a slide to tighten it on your hand. Worth ever dollar and a lifetime warranty.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:34 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Well, the dilemma is totally solved. We aren't going.
All and all it was too much for me to do. Miss Daisy would probably have been fine but me, not so much. Its a long drive in iffy weather and was getting expensive. Plus Daisy has now developed an ear infection. We are all ready so should I change my mind at the last minute, we'll jump in the car and go.
I am just as glad that we are staying home. My family are tippy toeing around me as the grieving widow and it is very tiring. We'll go in the spring for the internment and I'll have more time without the massive extra expense of winter driving.
Thanks for your suggestions. We are now chipped, a copy of Daisy's paperwork is in the glove box, found a muzzle and got a seatbelt thingy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:08 am 
Active Forum Member

I'm sorry that you can't make it, but I do know how stressful winter driving and planning on driving can be. It sounds like you are set up for the next trip.

As for dog seats, I tried several with Abby. She was not a big fan of crates, so I ended up getting a Fido Rido. It put her up high enough to see out the window, but also gave her enough room to lie down and nap. I would put her strapped into the front passenger seat and we were off (I have a car that turns automatically turns off the front airbag if there is not enough weight in the seat).

https://www.fidopetproducts.com/pages/fidorido/

At the Bridge:
Abby Doodle - gotcha 5/17/14 - 11/27/15
The kitties: Miranda (1994-2010), Gabrielle (1994-2010), Mr. Darcy (10/11-10/13), Jasper (10/11-4/16)