Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Insurance Review - Embrace
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:03 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Sandy H wrote:
A few more questions after reading BBB and Yelp complaints-I can weed thru who the boneheads that complain are but some of these complaints seem totally justified. I tried calling 3 times today and was on hold for a long time then it went to saying they would call me back which I then hung up.

Is there a set up charge? I could not find any on the website.

Did you get the orthopedic exam to waive the 6 month waiting period and reduce it to 14 days. Did you get the free medical history review in the first 30 days?

How do you get billed? Monthly thru mail? Can you set up CC automatic every month? I saw one issue that because someone's wallet and CC was stolen and CC cancelled that Embrace cancelled her policy even after she called and they said they would have to write a new policy which would have everything already treated listed as preexisting conditions. She got angry and went with another company.

Has anyone moved and had a problem? I saw a few issues about that. We will be snowbirding in Florida next winter. I know I would have to notify them where we are(which rates are cheaper where we are going!)

Anyone had an issue with claims you felt they should cover but were inappropriately excluded because they claim "preexisting condition"? Even with vets documentation that it was not preexisting or totally unrelated to why they were seen they denied it stating it was preexisting, and it seemed to me that the 2 were totally unrelated. These seem to be allergy/skin stuff(a vet visit for undiagnosed itching then denial a few months later for diagnosed skin issue totally unrelated to the itching) or orthopedic/limping visit months before resulting in denial of an unrelated injury later on. Some of these were within the 6 month waiting period but some were not.

I am nervous that Casey's back issue 3 years ago would exclude him from anything orthopedic, and Riley was seen 2 months ago for weight gain, bloodwork done wich was ok, but he was diagnosed with just being a foodie, and Callie's UTI history(she has not had one in a few years but gets annual U/A's, but she had crystals 7 years ago which is listed under Embraces incurable preexixting conditions-what if she ever got bladder cancer?). The policy I would be getting would be $1000 deductable, $10,000 max and 80% reimbursement, for about $20 per month per dog which I would consider catastrophic coverage in case of cancer or IMHA, but would they say that prior UTI's or crystals at age 1 or Riley's extra eating were symptoms of cancer or IMHA back then(which we know are not).

I have read the exclusions very carefully, such as if one ACL is torn then the other ACL would never be covered, etc. Casey had a very slight luxating patella in one knee when he was young, but it tightened up. If he ever tore an ACL it would probably be denied because of this, even in the other knee, which would be unrelated. I am not questioning Riley's patellas as I know they would never be covered for anything.

I will try calling again tomorrow and hopefully be able to speak to a person. I am very interested in this, price is affordable, but not if they would exclude the dogs because of their histories. I will probably sign them up, so the medical history review for documentation and see what they say then decide if I should keep it.

To be honest, I have never had a problem with any coverage for anything. I have never had to wait on hold either more than perhaps a minute but that was mid-morning and that's when a lot of calls are usually placed - and that even included Sunday mornings. I did get the orthopedic waiver which my vets offered to do without an appointment fee because it's not a very involved exam (although if there is an orthopedic history I don't know if they'd expect more). What I had done was have the vet fax them histories on the dogs and I asked them to call when they received them and we went through them on the phone. I have a monthly credit card payment that they bill directly to my card.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:15 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Vickie, thanks for helping me out with this. I just called and spoke with a rep. I asked all my questions about preexisting conditions and basically was told that she could not answer, I had to do the medical review in the first month and they would determine exclusions. They only ask for records from the past 12 months, so I guess I will sign up and see what they say. They have only been seen for physicals in the last 12 months, only issue was Riley's weight gain but bloodwork revealed no issues. I will update you when I know more!

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:44 pm 
Forum Legend

Is there a set up charge? I don't recall any set-up charge,
Did you get the orthopedic exam to waive the 6 month waiting period and reduce it to 14 days.Yes, I did. Did you get the free medical history review in the first 30 days?Yes. I also seem to recall that on the medical history review that the vet fills out, they are only asked about medical history going back a specific period of time (I think it was 12 months). Unfortunately, my vet didn't read this part, and filled out medical history going back to Gromit's puppyhood. That is where she was diagnosed with allergies. If the vet had only included history from the previous 12 months, there would have been no mention of allergies because Gromit had not had a flare-up during that time. As a result, allergies got excluded as a pre-existing condition. So if you're planning on getting this insurance, and there may be issues older than the med. history form requires, contact your vet in advance and make sure that they only fill out the form with history for the required time period.

How do you get billed? Monthly via direct debit from my checking account. Monthly thru mail? I don't know. Can you set up CC automatic every month?Yes, but not DiscoverCard.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:57 pm 
Active Forum Member

I dropped the Wellness Plan because it seemed like I was just breaking even on that and was not really saving any money by being on it.

In my search for a little buddy for Peyton, I came across a great little gal that was 3 years old. She has a thyroid issue which is no big deal. One pill 1-2 times a day. She never displayed symptoms of thyroid problems, it was caught very early while doing routine testing. Thyroid issues are very manageable and not a big deal in regards to long-term health issues. However, the mere fact that there was a thyroid condition, future illnesses could be linked (falsely, but nevertheless linked to) this illness.

I called Embrace and another insurance company to see if there was any possibly of this happening. I was told they couldn't say for sure. I needed to have their people do a medical review......which meant for me to go ahead and subscribe to the insurance, take the pup to my vet, then submit a claim for the insurance company to complete a medical review. And if they determined that this was a pre-exsiting condition that could be linked to other illnesses, they would allow me to cancel my policy within the first 30 days and be reimbursed.

I couldn't bring the pup home and then send her back. That is not me. I fall in love at first sight.

I ended up passing on this sweet little girl. I think of her often though.

I will say this about Eli.............

I had switched vets about one month before he became ill. There were no questions asked. The previous vet did the initial exam and orthapedic waiver to get the policy established.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:54 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Thank everyone for your input. I signed up yesterday, emailed the records that I had just got for the Iowa State IMHA/ITP study. we will see what they say about preexisting conditions.

I know Riley will be orthopedically excluded for his patella surgeries, and Casey has a very mild Grade 1 patella luxation so he will probably be also excluded for orthopedic issues, but in reality if one of them tore an ACL then with a $1000 deductable I really would not collect too much on insurance. I am mainly getting this for a catastrophic illness, cancer, IMHA, Pancreatitis, etc which would run thousands. I may dothe orthopedic waiver for Callie as she would pass, no problem.

I wonder if either Riley or Casey broke a bone in their leg from a fall, jumping off the couch, or something else if that would be covered. What do you think? I do intend to ask. I would think a broken bone would not be related to patella issues.

Debbie, I am sorry that it did not work out for you with that little girl. I kinda understand where you are coming from, before we got Riley I went to see the breeder who had a girl from the lines I was waiting for, I met her and she was beautiful, but I passed because I wanted a boy and a puppy, this girl was 6 months old. I took lots of pics of her and occ wonder how she is when I look at old pics, if she is having a good life, etc. The right friend for Peyton will come along at the right time. I think it should be a boy named Tommy! :wnk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:14 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Because I am knee deep researching, investigating, and comparing, I thought I would post a link that could be helpful for others to also use.

http://www.petinsurancereview.com/dog.asp

Quigley....5-6-09...Blk/White parti

Cocker Spaniels.......a work of he'art'!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:51 pm 
Active Forum Member

Oh, i just bought my cocker spaniel and i wonder if someone can help me with picking my insurance. What should i consider when choosing insurance?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:02 am 
I Rescue Cockers

MikeLorson wrote:
Oh, i just bought my cocker spaniel and i wonder if someone can help me with picking my insurance. What should i consider when choosing insurance?

I have Embrace (you can go back in this thread and read my posts as to why). I also should mention that Embrace was the third insurance I got. Previous insurance companies did things like pay back based on a national average (which in NY means I got back enough to buy a stamp) and had rate hikes of 25% or more in one year. I ended up with Embrace 7 years ago and won't use anyone else.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:19 am 
Active Forum Member

When I was shopping around I started with VPI, ASPCA pet insurance, Healthy Paws, Embrace and Petplan. Eventually I narrowed down my criteria to only companies with the highest payout limits and the least amount of plan restrictions and got down to petplan, healthy paws and embrace. Embrace looked like a good plan and their wellness coverage seems to be the best by far. Wellness wasn’t a huge concern for us because we use pet insurance as sort of a ** hits the fan insurance policy and for some emotional piece of mind in case the worst-case occurs.

I know plans change and this info may be outdated but when I was looking, embrace had a $15,000 annual limit and petplan’s was $22,000. Healthy paws was the only company offering no annual or lifetime limit. Also, embrace limits the age of the dogs they accept into their coverage, the cap is 14 years old. Petplan and healthy paws didn’t have age limits.

As far as discounts, we found all three were similar and they all offered neutering/spaying discounts, discounts for paying annually vs. monthly and lower annual premiums if you don’t file claims and your dog stays healthy. Healthy paws had a few more discounts than the others for AAA, microchipping, military and a couple others.

Cocker Spaniels are pretty healthy compared to other pure breeds but still they’re prone to a number of medical problems, such as Cancer, Eye problems, Hip dysplasia, skin allergies, eye problems, etc.

As fun as reading the fine print on pet insurance policies can be, I’ll include the tools and articles I used because they saved me some time and frustration. If you didn’t get a policy yet and still have questions, pm me or just reply to this thread and I’ll try to help you out.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/breeds/c_dg_am_cocker_spaniel
https://www.petinsuranceu.com/compare-pet-insurance/
https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/pet-insurance.aspx

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:17 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Well it has been almost a year since I signed up with Embrace and I can give a little review on it! With my 3 dogs I got the policy with $1000 deductible, 80% coverage after, $10k max, premium was about $57 for all 3 dogs. I took the medication rider. My renewal went up only about $5 to about $63 per month for the 3. Callie and Casey were healthy, nothing submitted. Riley was diagnosed with Cushings last fall and thank goodness I have the insurance as he is only 7 and Cushings is a very expensive disease to treat, the ACTH tests that are done regularly are $210 at my vet and $275 in Florida,and the meds are about $70 per month. No problems with claims and very prompt payments.

Discussing insurance with my vet, he likes Trupanion because they only have one deductible per illness whereas with Embrace I will have the $1000 deductible every year. However Trupanion would have been way more expensive with the 3 dogs. If I only had one dog I would have looked at other options with a lower deductible but Embrace was the best choice for me, and I am glad I have it now with Riley. I got it for a catastrophic event but having the coverage for this chronic condition will pay off.

BTW, Marsha, if you are reading this it is because of Dee Dee that I finally got off my butt and got insurance for my dogs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 pm 
Forum Legend

Resurrecting an old thread here, I need some help/thoughts.

I bought Embrace insurance for Cricket (now 10ish) after my Maggie died of cancer just 7 months after I brought her home (rescued). When I got Sophie (now 2) I added her to the plan.

Fast forward: Cricket's steady weight loss of 8-12 oz. a month became a real concern this past fall. My 22.5 lb little porker had gone from too heavy to just right, then right on to way too thin. At the moment, she weighs 15.6 lbs. up about 6 oz from last month. But she still looks emaciated.

Then in the middle of January this year, she started coughing. off to the vet, exam, cough syrup, Baytril, blood tests for fungus, bacteria, etc. Submitted claim to Embrace. Payout: ZERO. "routine care for preventable condition." WHAT??

Mid February, she's still coughing up a storm. My vet recommends to do a tracheal wash to identify what is in her airways and lungs so we can properly treat it. I'm thinking "fine, I have insurance to cover this."

Guess what? Because they could not definitively say what is causing her to cough, Embrace will not cover it!!

I'm horrified!! If I had continued to put that $100/month in the savings account for the dogs- instead of spending it on "insurance" - I would have my bill covered. Now I'm just out the $2400. for the test, and another $2600 by now for all of the bloodwork, medications tried.

Those of you who have Embrace, any recommendations or suggestions?

And is this typical of pet insurance companies?

I've spent at least $5000. in 2 months, my sweet baby has lost 35% of her body weight, and is still coughing up a storm. I am at my wits end!!

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:34 pm 
Forum Legend

Chris,

I am so sorry to hear about little Miss Cricket. :cry :hp You know that I am crazy about your beautiful little girl!

Sorry, I can't help you with the coughing problem, but Kevin has purchased VPI Pet Insurance through his work. It his now changed to Nationwide Pet Insurance, but is the same company.

I think that the deductible is $100.00, which we have already met for this year. We just received a $445.00, reimbursement check for a bill in the amount of $461.61. This is just for future reference of course.

I assume that they did a chest X-ray for Miss Cricket. Was that clear?

Sending you and Miss Cricket my Best Wishes, prayers and love! Please keep us posted..

Dawn :paw

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:38 pm 
Forum Legend

As for Cricket's lack of appetite, we used a paste for Persalina. It is a supplement for dogs that are not eating well. Going to look up the name for you now.

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:57 pm 
Forum Legend

https://www.amazon.com/Tomlyn-Calorie-Nutritional-Puppies-Nutri-Cal/dp/B000FO1QOU/ref=pd_lpo_199_tr_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PERXV9KS8EFCWPQGGB

https://www.amazon.com/PetAg-DogSure-Se ... s=dog+sure

These products can be purchased and shipped from Amazon. Let me know if you do not have an Amazon account

Sorry, I did not mean to hijack this thread. I read that Cricket was not doing well and took over. :evil

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:03 pm 
Forum Legend

After my Oliver and his cushings testing, a trip to CU Davis, possible cause of his Gallbladder problem the rest of his life. Removal of 11 growths, we are still ahead putting one hundred a month away in the bank. The meds are the killer today. At 150 a month just for his infected gallbladder that will never heal it's self. Vet said at his age he could not handle the removal. 80% he would not come out alive 20% chance to live.

We had a good cry, playing one day at a time, hope it doesn't burst open on us. Don't know if we should have another ultrasound.

Joe