An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Insurance Review - Embrace
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:43 am 
Active Forum Member

Given my recent experience with my little Céilidh and also my profound urging for people to get insurance, a few people asked what insurance I had. So I thought I’d give review once everything was settled.

I had Embrace insurance and my coverage consisted of the following:
Illness Policy which was $410:
$500 Deductible
80% Coverage for Illness
$5000 Maximum

I also did the Wellness Plus Policy add on which was $300.
This plan covers 100% the following:
Flea, tick & heartworm medication
Spay/Neuter surgery
Fecal exams
Routine blood tests (Think titering)
Microchipping
Behavioral training
Umbilical hernia repair
Gastopexy
Toe nail trimming
Routine anal gland expression
Routine chiropractic care, reiki, massage therapy, acupuncture (Can you believe it!?? I wish my personal insurance was this good)
Teeth cleaning & dental illness
Prescription diet food from Hill’s, Puryna, Wyson or Royal Canin
OFA & PennHIP exams and X-rays
Nutritional supplements
Medicated shampoos

I had the same policy last year and had one non-wellness visit for some simple tummy trouble. I didn’t go past my $500 deductible for the one illness visit I had under the Illness Policy. So technically speaking, I was out of pocket by about $400 for the year.
The Wellness Policy ($300) paid for itself and then some with what I used for her annual exam and meds (heartworm, flea, tick, etc).

The policy cost increased 7% from last year to this year (I renew annually in January). When I asked about the increase, they said that there is usually a 4%-8% increase from year to year.

Now let’s talk about this year with the same policy in mind.
She had her annual exam with meds (heartworm, flea, tick, etc) in April. Again, everything was fully covered and charges totaled just about $300. And again the wellness plain paid for itself in the one annual visit. I was also planning on having her teeth cleaned later this year, which would have also been fully covered.
When she got sick, it was all very straight forward. I paid everything on my credit card and then sent them invoices to be reimbursed. I paid the first $500 for my deductible. Then they paid about 80% after that. I say “about” because (and this is where it gets good) they went through the pages and pages of invoices from the UofM and picked out the things they could put under the “Wellness” portion of my policy. That meant anything under Wellness would be covered at 100%. The rest was covered at the Illness Policy of 80%.
I thought that detail in customer service was amazing. They had no reason to do that, as they could have categorized all under the single illness incident. Plus the fact that it monetarily doesn’t benefit them to do that either. Amazing.
And when I say that ‘everything else was covered at 80%”, I mean everything. The EOB (Explanation of Benefits) listed every line item and how much would be covered. The ones they didn’t pull out for 100% coverage on the Wellness policy, were ALL covered at the full 80%. You truly get exactly what they say you’re paying for. And some amazing customer service to boot!

As far as the reimbursement payments go, they were very quick. About 2 days from faxing to processing and another two days from processing to cutting the check. No longer than a week for any one of the invoices I submitted.
Communication is also great. They send emails with very detailed explanation at every step of the process for every claim submitted. I never had a question about status or coverage.

What would I have done differently? Not much.
I had a $5000 maximum reimbursement that I almost exceeded. I think the final tally was $4930 and some change. So I cut it VERY close. Scary! And having a $500 illness deductible on a young, healthy dog is a lot to reach in a calendar year. So I might consider lowering it.
But raising the maximum reimbursement and lowering the deductible would raise the cost of the overall policy up front. So it’s a tradeoff, like it is with most insurance. Again, I probably choose the same policy in the future, because that’s what works best for me.
The nice thing about Embrace they have very flexible policy options, even within their Wellness Plans. So you can choose what coverage right for you.

I don’t mean this to sound like an advertisement for Embrace. I hope it’s more of a eye-opener for people on the fence about getting insurance. At Céilidh’s annual wellness exam, my regular vet mentioned that he wished everyone had insurance because saving a little bit each month just doesn’t cut it anymore. Veterinary medicine is getting so advanced that there are tests and procedures that can be done now that could have never been done in the past. The savings account idea just hasn’t kept up. The vets at the U also said the same thing. They seemed very relieved when I told them I had insurance.

So please… Get insurance on your babies! The cost of the policy is worth its weight in gold if ever faced with life changing decisions. Trust me.

Post subject: Re: Insurance Review - Embrace
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:30 pm 
Forum Legend

I DO - and DID get insurance for Em. I enrolled in Healthy Paws and will see how that goes for a year. I didn't see an "add on" for wellness, and they don't cover routine things like dentals, so maybe I will also post something if/when I use it. I have always thought that the savings account was the way to go, but you convinced me otherwise and I thank you for that!

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:53 pm 
Forum Legend

So having insurance is a good thing if the Vet is trying to toss out guesses. So what was Céilidh health problem?

Any autopsy? This is a way a Vet would learn what happened what was going on. So if this ever happens again he would know what to do. If he was correct about what was going on inside. As I was reading the case the Vet thought it was the liver.

Sorry for being rough, if you think I'm being that way.

As a retired auto tech we could not guess on a auto repair or toss parts at a car. A car is man made, but life isn't.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:06 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Actually Joe having insurance is a GREAT thing. I also have Embrace. Three years ago they repaid in the vacinity of $10,000. for my Annie's IMHA treatments. They covered her $400. per MONTH medication in full. Less then one year later they covered Jennie's spinal surgery to the tune of just over $6000. I don't know about anyone else here but I didn't have in excess of $20,000. laying around.

I know some vets may "toss out guesses" but I try not to accuse people I don't know of wrong-doing without some type of proof. In the case of someone that lost a pet and (as we all do) always wonders about the "what ifs" it can be especially upsetting. Are there bad vets? Absolutely! My grandfather was cheated for years by a miserable, self-serving car mechanic. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't appreciate being lumped in the same category.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:38 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Vickie wrote:
Actually Joe having insurance is a GREAT thing. I also have Embrace. Three years ago they repaid in the vacinity of $10,000. for my Annie's IMHA treatments. They covered her $400. per MONTH medication in full. Less then one year later they covered Jennie's spinal surgery to the tune of just over $6000. I don't know about anyone else here but I didn't have in excess of $20,000. laying around.

I know some vets may "toss out guesses" but I try not to accuse people I don't know of wrong-doing without some type of proof. In the case of someone that lost a pet and (as we all do) always wonders about the "what ifs" it can be especially upsetting. Are there bad vets? Absolutely! My grandfather was cheated for years by a miserable, self-serving car mechanic. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't appreciate being lumped in the same category.

Well said Vickie,
I am one who NEVER thought it would happen to me and did have my Sweet DeeDee pass of IMHA at the end of March. I had been saving for emergencies for my girls and believe me the $6,000. did not go far enough with a $21,000. bill.
do I have insurance now for Darla and Dave...yep.
Medicine is educated guessing...plain and simple. Some do a better job than others. Do we all look back and think maybe I should have done something different, yes. I home cooked, supplemented, and did everything I knew to be right and still....
I am offended and I am sure others were too at the harshness in your statements on someone who has JUST lost a very much loved pet and was trying to tell others to protect themselves so they can get treatments without going into debt like myself.
In my opinion you owe Sorcha an apology !

owner of
THE SHAVER SHOP INC.
We sell and repair Electric Shavers and Clippers
We have a complete HAND SHARPENING SERVICE
Visit our website to see some of the things we do and carry
www.shavershop.com

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:42 am 
Forum Legend

Published on Jan 24, 2014

Tuckers cancer of the spleen and intestine spread to his liver. Chemotherapy seemed to help for several months, then he started showing symptoms of the cancer's invasion of his body. I tried to help him the best that I could, but did not want to prolong his suffering. I came home for lunch on January 15th and saw that he was in pain, suffering, and it was time to let him go. I gave him 10 cc of the euthanasia solution. I wanted to know what had happened inside so did a necropsy to see what the chemo and cancer had done. Both are in the video.Vickie

My grandfather was cheated for years by a miserable, self-serving car mechanic. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't appreciate being lumped in the same category.

Yes to cheap to go to a car dealer so one has a leg to stand on! Just to save a dollar! My mother in-law always went to a dealer and she repeated or wrote down on how to handle a service writer. my me I would not work on their car.

Why not a autopsy? With all the savings. What caused the internal bleeding?

Even a vet wanted to learn what killed his dog! WARNING VERY GRAPHIC. CANCER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW1VeTZvt_c

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Fri May 29, 2015 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:46 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
Vickie

My grandfather was cheated for years by a miserable, self-serving car mechanic. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't appreciate being lumped in the same category.

Yes to cheap to go to a car dealer so one has a leg to stand on! Just to save a dollar! My mother in-law always went to a dealer and she repeated or wrote down on how to handle a service writer. my me I would not work on their car.

Why not a autopsy? With all the savings. What caused the internal bleeding?

I

You, sir, are not worth a response.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:01 pm 
Forum Legend

That's the difference going to a dealership or back yard shop! Saw that all the time. Now Father in law was just like your family. It cost him thousands of dollars on a battery change in his 2001 Buick because he went to save a buck. If I had to guess jumped the battery backwards and burned out most of the cars computers. Had to take it to the Buick dealership they had it for a month!

This is why I expect the best as I did the best! The best cost money! To me it's very hard to find a great vet!

Bye!

Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:10 pm 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Joe, I'd like to ask you to have some compassion here please. Choosing whether or not to have an autopsy done on a beloved pet is a choice - and it is certainly not something that should be questioned or hammered on when the loss is so fresh. While I respect your quest to determine what happened, please respect Sorcha's choice and let this go. This was her beloved Ceilidh and she made the choices that were right for her, Ceilidh and the family. It is not for anybody on this forum or anybody else to question those choices or to make her feel bad for not doing what you say you would have done. I know how devastated I was when Farley died - posts like yours would have broken my heart all over again. That's not what this forum is about, and it will not be tolerated.

This post is about the benefit of insurance, not about autopsies, and I would really like to see the thread get back on track.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:26 pm 
Forum Legend

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
So having insurance is a good thing if the Vet is trying to toss out guesses. So what was Céilidh health problem?

Any autopsy? This is a way a Vet would learn what happened what was going on. So if this ever happens again he would know what to do. If he was correct about what was going on inside. As I was reading the case the Vet thought it was the liver.

Sorry for being rough, if you think I'm being that way.

As a retired auto tech we could not guess on a auto repair or toss parts at a car. A car is man made, but life isn't.

Joe

My goodness -

First Sorcha took a significant portion of her time to write this long post FOR THE BENEFIT OF OTHERS. Let's just thank her, Joe.

An autopsy is frankly her business, her decision and if she decided to do one, she doesn't have to share it with us. We do not automatically have a right to ask her about an autopsy (esp on a loss so fresh) just because she was nice enough to post about her experience.

And let's not equate a vet with an auto mechanic. With due respect to both professionals, it's apples and oranges. From Sorcha's posts, it is obvious she respected and liked her baby's doctors. We do not have a right to judge them either.

in any profession, there's good ones and not so great one. it is the know-it-all people that are are obnoxious.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:01 pm 
Forum Legend

And

"Why not a autopsy? With all the savings. What caused the internal bleeding?"

Are you telling her what to do with her money? I am sure if someone questioned or judged your choice to euthanize your dog yourself you would be none too pleased.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:02 pm 
Active Forum Member

I don't reply much on the forum any more but wanted to add my thoughts on pet insurance.

I too subscribe to Embrace. I have nothing but good things to say about them. When Eli became ill suddenly, it was such a relief to not have to worry about money when making decisions about health care. Not that money would ever be an issue for any one of my pups, I would go broke for any one of them. Having the insurance takes away added stress in a very difficult time. It is amazing to see the difference in a vet's tone of voice when they learn you have insurance. Understandably, they are in a difficult situation....wanting to treat the pet the best way they know how....yet not knowing or wanting the pet owner to feel guilty for not being able to afford the care.

I know Eli received the best care possible.

His bill was well over $4,000 in one weeks time.....not to mention the local vet's bills as well.

As mentioned earlier, I was reimbursed within two weeks for all of Eli's medical expenses.

Not only did Embrace pay the bill with no red tape or lots of questions, but I received a sympathy card with 4 handwritten messages expressing compassion for my loss of Eli.

Because of past experiences with a beloved pet and high medical expenses, I will not own a pup that cannot be insured. I am not as young as I used to be and would love to retire someday without any debt.

Yes, I am completely and totally sold on pet insurance.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:36 pm 
Forum Legend

[copying my post from an earlier thread, I think this belongs here as well]

... I lost my Maggie Mae to liver cancer on March 31, just 41 days after she first showed any symptoms of it. I spent a fortune getting her diagnosis because I wanted to know what we were dealing with, and if there was any chance of saving her. Then we did begin the UC Davis recommended course of treatment. Even though she was almost 12, she was only with me for 7 months, and she was so sweet, so smart, so pretty, and just the best ever companion for Cricket, and I loved her dearly.

The day after Maggie died, I purchased Embrace insurance for Cricket: my tribute to Maggie Mae. No telling if I'll ever be in a position again of having plenty of cash on hand to treat a sudden life-threatening illness. It would have broken my heart doubly to have to make decisions based on cost. Instead, we did all we could for her.

I want to thank all of the members of this forum who have been kind enough to share experiences and opinions of the various pet insurances. Twenty plus years ago when I got my first cocker, putting away a little bit each month for her work well. Not so any more.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:40 am 
Forum Legend

Sorcha,
Thank you for taking the time to detail your experiences with Embrace. I'm sure there are a lot of pet owners out there who are on the fence about getting insurance, and your endorsement may convince a few to make this investment. I know that in my case, I purchased Embrace after hearing about another forum member's battle to save her furbaby, and her positive review of Embrace, as well as reading about so many other cockers with IMHA, back problems, glaucoma, cataracts, and other medical issues. My husband loves Gromit, but in his eyes she's "just a dog." He could never comprehend spending thousands to try and save one dog, when there are people struggling who could use it. I respect his right to feel that way, but Gromit is way more than "just a dog" to me. I never want to be put in the position of having to justify how much I'm spending for her care, or to have to decide on a course of care because of the cost. So far, I have not needed to use the insurance, and I hope I never will. But I will forever appreciate forum members such as you, Sorcha, who have helped enlighten me to make an informed proactive decision about my furbaby's care.

And Joe, sometimes you can be a real horse's patootie :mad.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:42 am 
Forum Legend

Thank you, Sorcha, Chris and all for your endorsement of Embrace. I think I am going to switch Cici from ASPCA to Embrace now.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:57 am 
Active Forum Member

I do want to add that though I subscribe to Embrace, the vet tech that was taking care of Eli said he subscribes to Trupanion. He had good things to say about that company and their coverage. I think they may pay out 90% instead of the 80% that Embrace.

Because of Peyton's age and the kindness they showed my with the loss of Eli, I am staying with Embrace. However, there are other companies out there. You just need to shop around and find out what works best for you.

Just be mindful that some companies will not cover breed specific illnesses. For example, cataracts, hip dysphasia, and epilepsy are breed specific illnesses for cockers.

Again, it was so nice to have the insurance when trying to help my baby Eli.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:45 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Debbie Brown wrote:
I do want to add that though I subscribe to Embrace, the vet tech that was taking care of Eli said he subscribes to Trupanion. He had good things to say about that company and their coverage. I think they may pay out 90% instead of the 80% that Embrace.

Because of Peyton's age and the kindness they showed my with the loss of Eli, I am staying with Embrace. However, there are other companies out there. You just need to shop around and find out what works best for you.

Just be mindful that some companies will not cover breed specific illnesses. For example, cataracts, hip dysphasia, and epilepsy are breed specific illnesses for cockers.

Again, it was so nice to have the insurance when trying to help my baby Eli.

Embrace WILL pay out 90% as well if you choose that plan. Thanks Debbie for reminding me to point out that most insurance companies offer you varying amounts of deductibles as well as reimbursement percentages. It is simply a matter of paying more in to get more back.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:56 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you, Vickie and Debbie. I've already started comparing plans!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:22 pm 
Forum Legend

Embrace does not exclude breed-specific conditions, which was a selling feature for me. However, everyone should keep in mind that most companies will exclude pre-existing conditions. For example, because Gromit has allergies, Embrace will not cover any allergy-related treatments.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:37 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Darra wrote:
Embrace does not exclude breed-specific conditions, which was a selling feature for me. However, everyone should keep in mind that most companies will exclude pre-existing conditions. For example, because Gromit has allergies, Embrace will not cover any allergy-related treatments.

Absolutely Darra! This was a big consideration for us since many plans routinely exclude illnesses or issues that are specific to a breed. The other thing to look at is the plan should pay back whatever percentage you choose of your ACTUAL out-of-pocket expenses. Way back when we had a plan that paid based on a national average. What we paid $240. for in New York was paid back as 80% of the "national average" of $120.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:04 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I could not find the Wellness Plus on Embrace website, only Wellness policies that have a set limit ($18 a month for $250 limit). Is that something older that maybe was grandfathered in? I will be signing my 3 up, the prices are much less than I expected. Thank you for this post.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:24 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Sandy H wrote:
I could not find the Wellness Plus on Embrace website, only Wellness policies that have a set limit ($18 a month for $250 limit). Is that something older that maybe was grandfathered in? I will be signing my 3 up, the prices are much less than I expected. Thank you for this post.

We didn't get Wellness coverage so I'm not able to speak about that. I do know if you have any questions you can call them and they will go through everything with you step by step answering questions as you go.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:04 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Vickie

Were you able to get coverage for your dogs ages 6 and older for accident and illness? I am reading reviews and alot of negative reviews and that age 6 and over is for accident only. Mine are 6, 7 and 8 now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:40 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Sandy H wrote:
Vickie

Were you able to get coverage for your dogs ages 6 and older for accident and illness? I am reading reviews and alot of negative reviews and that age 6 and over is for accident only. Mine are 6, 7 and 8 now.

I didn't have any problem although the only one over six at the time was Teddy. I did go back and check with a Embrace and they provide policies up to age 14 years. After age 14 they cover just wellness with accident because they figure the premiums would be prohibitively high for illness coverage on a dog that old.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:04 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

A few more questions after reading BBB and Yelp complaints-I can weed thru who the boneheads that complain are but some of these complaints seem totally justified. I tried calling 3 times today and was on hold for a long time then it went to saying they would call me back which I then hung up.

Is there a set up charge? I could not find any on the website.

Did you get the orthopedic exam to waive the 6 month waiting period and reduce it to 14 days. Did you get the free medical history review in the first 30 days?

How do you get billed? Monthly thru mail? Can you set up CC automatic every month? I saw one issue that because someone's wallet and CC was stolen and CC cancelled that Embrace cancelled her policy even after she called and they said they would have to write a new policy which would have everything already treated listed as preexisting conditions. She got angry and went with another company.

Has anyone moved and had a problem? I saw a few issues about that. We will be snowbirding in Florida next winter. I know I would have to notify them where we are(which rates are cheaper where we are going!)

Anyone had an issue with claims you felt they should cover but were inappropriately excluded because they claim "preexisting condition"? Even with vets documentation that it was not preexisting or totally unrelated to why they were seen they denied it stating it was preexisting, and it seemed to me that the 2 were totally unrelated. These seem to be allergy/skin stuff(a vet visit for undiagnosed itching then denial a few months later for diagnosed skin issue totally unrelated to the itching) or orthopedic/limping visit months before resulting in denial of an unrelated injury later on. Some of these were within the 6 month waiting period but some were not.

I am nervous that Casey's back issue 3 years ago would exclude him from anything orthopedic, and Riley was seen 2 months ago for weight gain, bloodwork done wich was ok, but he was diagnosed with just being a foodie, and Callie's UTI history(she has not had one in a few years but gets annual U/A's, but she had crystals 7 years ago which is listed under Embraces incurable preexixting conditions-what if she ever got bladder cancer?). The policy I would be getting would be $1000 deductable, $10,000 max and 80% reimbursement, for about $20 per month per dog which I would consider catastrophic coverage in case of cancer or IMHA, but would they say that prior UTI's or crystals at age 1 or Riley's extra eating were symptoms of cancer or IMHA back then(which we know are not).

I have read the exclusions very carefully, such as if one ACL is torn then the other ACL would never be covered, etc. Casey had a very slight luxating patella in one knee when he was young, but it tightened up. If he ever tore an ACL it would probably be denied because of this, even in the other knee, which would be unrelated. I am not questioning Riley's patellas as I know they would never be covered for anything.

I will try calling again tomorrow and hopefully be able to speak to a person. I am very interested in this, price is affordable, but not if they would exclude the dogs because of their histories. I will probably sign them up, so the medical history review for documentation and see what they say then decide if I should keep it.