An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Looking to adopt 20-60 lb female adult cocker
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:47 pm 
Forum Member

Hello, I am new to the list, so hope I am putting this in the right place.

My husband and I live on a 20 acre walnut farm in Northern CA and are in our mid 60s. 2 acres are fenced for domestic purposes and include a large dog yard w a door into the house that is always open tho the dogs all sleep inside. We currently have 1 female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, age 8 and 1 female Bernese Mountain Dog, age 11 mos. Sadly we lost our two other Berners last year at ages 11 and 10.5 - one had degenerative myelopathy and the other slowly died (probably of a broken heart) six months later. We also lost our Cavalier's brother to a sudden heart attack (he had a heart murmur). We also have two sister kitties (age 9) who have indoor outdoor access. All out animals get along with one another and hang out napping in a clump, usually wherever I am. Coloring is not important to us, but we are looking for a playful, easy going animal that likes cuddles.

We have four adult children in their 30s and 40s who come up often and all adore the animals.

We would like to complete our family by adding another medium sized (20-60 lb.) young or adult (1 year to 4 years) female as a playmate for both dogs. I am home most of the time and my husband is here Thurs to Monday...

If anyone can lead us to our next family member, please contact me or send us int he right direction....

Thank You in advance,
Jana Black

Post subject: Re: Looking to adopt 20-60 lb female adult cocker
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:31 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

I'm moving this post over to Cockers, Cockers, and More Cockers... to give it a little more visibility.

A good place to start would be to contact the Cocker rescue group in the SF Bay area, which is called BAARK. Their web site is at http://www.baark.org/

Also, and I'm sure you've probably done this already... look through the listings in the Western Section of our Cockers Available For Adoption section of the forum, to see if there are any dogs there. http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/viewforum.php?f=24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:32 am 
Forum Legend

I really think what your looking for is a Springer Spaniel, why less grooming easier to take care about 40 to 60 pounds. The Female is smaller around 40 + pounds. Yes they have that same dance. If I had a large acreage that would be my choice not a cocker.
It's getting harder to find cocker's at dog shows in the bay area. Oregon or Washington has a better supply.

One of the biggest dog shows is "Woofstock" in Vallejo starting June 4,5, 6,7.

Good luck.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Jana,
Welcome to the forum. I am glad Jim gave you some places to check, but I don't think it is a cocker you want. I have never seen one 40-60 lbs! In fact I was concerned about our Diva when she hit 30 lbs, which I have now trimmed to 27.5. I think most American cockers are about that weight or less. I have had five cockers over our 45 years and one of them which I had bred the pup grew to be about 32 lbs, but he appeared to be more like an English cocker, I am told sometimes there are a bit heavier. Cockers are alot of work with combing unless you keep them cut short. They are very cuddly and loving animals, at least all of them we have had and known. I wish you luck on your search :wv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:44 pm 
Forum Legend

Well, I'm going to assume you really do want a cocker, even though it will be around 22-32 lbs- small dogs, big spirits, generally live to 15+ years, great companions for pets and people both- and suggest that you contact the folks at NorCal Cocker Rescue, or Second Chance Cocker Rescue's northern California division. They are doing a great job rescuing and rehoming cockers in northern California. They have strong presences on Facebook. I've known the folks at both for years- they have a ton of experience, and are great to work with!

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:51 am 
Forum Legend

Griffen's Info...

I am already neutered, housetrained, purebred, up to date with shots, and good with dogs.
Griffen's Story...
WE WILL BE AT UNLEASHED, 4333 ARDEN WAY, SACRAMENTO (NEXT TO WHOLE FOODS) ON SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 7, FROM 11-2. PLEASE STOP BY TO SEE US!

Griffen is a 4 year old handsome guy who has a long tail and he is always happy! He is great with other dogs, enjoys taking walks, car rides and snuggling. What more could you ask for?? He would do best with children over 12. For more information on this sweet guy, please contact savak9@sbcglobal.net

Charlie's Info...

I am already neutered, purebred, up to date with shots, and good with dogs.
Charlie's Story...
WE WILL BE AT UNLEASHED, 4333 ARDEN WAY, SACRAMENTO (NEXT TO WHOLE FOODS) ON SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 7, FROM 11-2. PLEASE STOP BY TO SEE US!

Charlie is an endearing boy who is looking for someone to love him. Charlie is yearning for a family to pet him, love him and show him what kindness is. Charlie loves other dogs, is quiet and mellow. He is very good in the car and likes taking walks. He is about 8 years old. Please open your heart up to Charlie or another older dog - they deserve to have a home and be loved too! For more information, please contact savak9@sbcglobal.net Our application is on our website at norcalcockerrescue.org

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:43 am 
Active Forum Member

I agree with earlier post, Second Chance Cocker Rescue is a really good source. Also, look into the English Springer Spaniel breed. I have had both, and loved them both. You have room, take one of each! (just joking!) There is a good springer rescue up in No Cal also. It may be under Golden Gate Springers, or look in a search engine for ESS Rescue, or Springer Rescue. My springer loved to romp and play with his brother and run when he was young but was also a total lap dog! You will love that breed! Second Chance has a lot of cockers in Sacramento but they can also arrange to transport one from So. Cal.

It is nice to read you are looking to adopt a dog that isn't a puppy!
Happy "Gotcha" Day!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:48 am 
Active Forum Member

Oh, I can give you the contact info for a few people that used to breed or show Springers and cockers. They may know of a dog that needs a home. I adopted two cockers from a breeder who was a little north of Sacramento. One was a retired show dog that didn't like showing and one was an owner "returnee" who realized he couldn't give the pup the time it needed. He was about 13 months when we got him.

Send me a PM if you are interested and I will look up their info.