The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Skin tags
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 am 
Active Forum Member

My two cocker boys will be 12 yrs old in Oct 2013. They are getting skin tags (that's what the vet calls them). For the most part, they don't bother them except for that one dog,Madison has one near the top of his left leg, and on the back of his neck and his brother is always licking those spots. It looks kind of rough and not smooth on the top, "Hilly." I had the vet check them all out last summer and he thought they were all skin tags, kind of like warts and he said older dogs get them. I do not want to put my dogs thru any surgeries if they are harmless, just seems like they form overnight. I get them groomed in a puppy cut orshort version of cocker cut and so far the groomer hasn't had any issues with them. Just wondering what you know and think about them. Sometimes they fill lick ticks when I rub them, but I don't have any problem with ticks. LIke I said, they seem to form overnight. Vet didn't know if anything I do could to prevent them. Seems like they both have at least 6 or 7 each. Any thoughts on this?
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Skin tags
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:22 pm 
Forum Legend

My boys have them too. I think they are age related. I am not removing them, except for the one on Sunny's eyelid.
I'm only having that removed because he will have surgery on his paw and I will only put him under anesthetic once.

Pat

Ryan------1999-2012---Our first foster.
Rowdy----1986-1997---Our 2nd rescue.
Buffy----- 1986-1996---Our 1st rescue.
Pokey-----My sons' childhood Cocker.
Poochie---My childhood Cocker.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:54 pm 
Active Forum Member

diluted oregano essential oil will reduce them pretty quickly. Make sure you dilute it with olive oil or some other oil though since it can burn otherwise. I used brewers yeast paste on Poppy and it worked GREAT, but hasn't seemed to work on my mom's dogs. Neem oil shampoo (if you can stand the smell) also got rid of most of Poppy's old age warts. I couldn't tolerate the smell of the shampoo regularly, so I switched to brewers yeast. Didn't learn about the oregano oil until after Poppy died, but it seems to be working on Phebe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:14 pm 
Forum Legend

Old dog warts ... there is a name for them but I don't remember what it was. My last dog had a ton of these... my advice, unless they are causing a problem (either for you or the dog) don't bother removing them! I had them removed two times. They will return... The only reason I had some removed the second time is because one was on my dog's eye lid and was causing eye problems and another was weeping constantly! I did notice that when a new one was erupting that it caused my dog to scratch like crazy. Make sure your groomer is aware of them so she can be careful.

Wish I had known about oregano essential oil... I would have been happy to try it!

Chesapeake OA, OAJ (CGC)
4/20/10

Competing in Excellent Agility ...
JWW ~ 1 of 3 Q's
STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:49 pm 
Forum Legend

These growths are very common on old dogs -- hence the name of Old Dog Warts. In general, I don't have them removed unless it is in an area that might cause a problem. I had one removed from the eye lid of a previous cocker because it could have damaged the cornea.

Colleen K

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 am 
Active Forum Member

My "old" dog Cookie has these and as she ages more and more pop up. I groom her myself so I just use caution when using the clippers. And yes, they can be removed but likely will just grow back. Here's a link to some information on them...

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/10/01/dog-warts-treatment.aspx

Interesting about the oregano essential oil. Do you just put it on there once a day and let it dry?

Charley-Black/White Parti-12/13/08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 pm 
Forum Legend

O-ACV it works two to three times a day using several drops, it's slow but the dogs body works slowly in repairing it's self.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:39 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Our Black and Tan English Cocker Buddy has one on his upper left front leg and licks it all the time. He also has one on his head, back at the base of his tail and a tiny one on his left eye lid. He also has about 5 fatty tumors mostly on his chest. Poor old guy, getting old is a bitch as they say, but he is good about leaving them alone....

Attachments:
IMG_3270.JPG
IMG_3270.JPG [ 82.69 KiB | Viewed 1836 times ]
IMG_3276.JPG
IMG_3276.JPG [ 78.89 KiB | Viewed 1836 times ]

LEO White Lighter [Parti-SABLE]

Cockers: At The Rainbow Bridge...
Ch. Prince Tom's Sugar Crisp (Crispy),
Ch. Luc-Kee Prince Bondee, Taffee & Baron
Akita's: Sachi & Sake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:53 pm 
Forum Legend

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
O-ACV it works two to three times a day using several drops, it's slow but the dogs body works slowly in repairing it's self.

What is O-ACV? Solo is going to have lots of old dog warts. It runs in the family.

Colleen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:58 pm 
Active Forum Member

Colleen (I think, not sure) that it stands for 'Organic Apple Cider Vinegar'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:22 am 
Active Forum Member

Mine have all had them. Some one said blood root but did not work for mine. Saydee is getting one on top of her head removed. He said he would freeze it. I had them removed once from another cocker of mine and they still came back.
I hate them!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:34 pm 
Forum Legend

Emma and Dogs wrote:
Colleen (I think, not sure) that it stands for 'Organic Apple Cider Vinegar'

:joy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:13 pm 
Forum Legend

It's been a month on O-ACV the center looks like it being eaten out and wants to scab over but the two times a day prevents the scab. It's harder to find and it looked like that photo up above over 1/4 inch across and height a month ago. Someone said add Twenty Mule Team to the O-ACV, making a paste as the borax has boron that helps breaking down the virus. It was on the his back so much easier to treat. It had been there for two years so at the age of five. My wife can't believe it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:08 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

George got one in his armpit last year, the vet said it had an infected core so ought to come off, so he did that. Now he has 2 more, one on his chest and one on his ear. I'm not liking the ear one, it's tiny but seems to slowly swell with blood and burst every so often, I'm going to have the vet look at it again when I take Ellie for her booster in a couple of weeks. The vet saw the ear one a while back and said it was ok, but that was before it started doing that.

Ellie has a fatty lump under her armpit, I thought it was getting bigger but my friend doesn't think so, so again I'll get the vet to check again when she has her booster. Last time he saw it he said it was smaller than a pea - I guess I'm just a worrying Mum!

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:13 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

What is the mixing ratio I should use for the oregano essential oil/olive oil? Thanks

Kudah - French Brittany rescued June 2008

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:42 pm 
Forum Legend

Some claim coconut oil do away with skin tags.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:31 pm 
Forum Legend

Some claim coconut oil do away with skin tags.

Topically or internally, Joe?

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 pm 
Active Forum Member
 YIM  Profile

Tucker has one on his lip. It'on the side and he dosn't bother it. The vet said he is ont concerned about it but to watch and if it gets bigger he will do something.
Tucker is going on 8 years. Have only had him a month but it seems like he has always been here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 pm 
Forum Legend

Barb, Sunny has one on his eyelid..He is 8 yrs old, and I have had him 5 mo's.
Ordinarily, my vet said he would leave it alone, but since he has to have surgery on his dewclaw, he will remove it then.
Patti B

Ryan------1999-2012---Our first foster.
Rowdy----1986-1997---Our 2nd rescue.
Buffy----- 1986-1996---Our 1st rescue.
Pokey-----My sons' childhood Cocker.
Poochie---My childhood Cocker.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:44 pm 
Forum Legend

Topically, just google it: coconut oil and skin tags

I have used both O-ACV and the coconut oil at the same time. I did find a fresh tag last Sunday night, right at the start of his skirt over his left rear leg. It turned black and stiff in four days I thought it was a tick just larger than a sesame seed after treating by Thursday. That was fast.

Seems like the tags turn really reddish-pink almost bleeding then black in the center. Ollie has one on his right upper lip about two years old now, I did cut into it about two weeks ago trimming the face with a fine 10. Should had finished it off. What ever one puts on tag on the lip he will lick it off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:07 pm 
Active Forum Member

Topically, just google it: coconut oil and skin tags

I have used both O-ACV and the coconut oil at the same time. I did find a fresh tag last Sunday night, right at the start of his skirt over his left rear leg. It turned black and stiff in four days I thought it was a tick just larger than a sesame seed after treating by Thursday. That was fast.

Seems like the tags turn really reddish-pink almost bleeding then black in the center. Ollie has one on his right upper lip about two years old now, I did cut into it about two weeks ago trimming the face with a fine 10. Should had finished it off. What ever one puts on tag on the lip he will lick it off.

Apple Cider Vinegar and coconut oil? It sounds like things I use for my hair! :gig

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:34 pm 
Forum Legend

The skin tag on his upper left hip skirt area became hard, black, felt like a thorn, really attached inside the his body. It fell off Thursday. The larger one still being eaten out from the center what it looks like.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

I would like to try some of the treatments y'all have mentioned. Where do you find the Organic Apple Cider Vinegar Oil, the Orgeno Oil, or Coconut Oil? Do you order it, or do you ask for it at pharmamcies?
Do your dogs try to lick whatever you apply on them? I have to be careful about Madison not getting anything that is high in fat (has had pancreatis before so we try to watch what he consumes)
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:04 pm 
Forum Legend

Organic apple cider vinegar is not an oil, should be in most stores maybe by the salad dressings. Organic means non-pasteurized it has all those great minerals in it. The other oils could be found in health food stores. Never looked in Whole Foods stores kind of pricy.

Oliver has never tried to lick the one on his upper left leg, but the bigger older one on the back he can't get to it.

Orgeno Oil is about 12 to 20 dollars really small bottle reading there are different kinds.

Was thinking using DMSO with the organic apple cider vinegar on the three year older tag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:37 pm 
Forum Legend

Just use caution. My last cocker had one of these growths, which very closely resembled what you all are picturing. It looked like a small wart of sorts. The fact that it appeared about a month after vaccination did not resonate at the time.

What my vet diagnosed as a wart or maybe a "pimple" turned out to be grade 2 mast cell skin tumor.

I wrote about this in my article, "What to do if my dog has a lump"
http://fidoseofreality.com/what-should-i-do-if-my-dog-has-a-lump/

Dog mom to:
Dexter James, CGC: Spunkball of life and love; born 09/06/08
Brandy Noel: Forever mighty dog; 10/17/93 - 10/11/08