An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Prey Drive Overdrive!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:13 am 
Forum Legend

We have a new name for Chessie.... it's the Huntress!

Chessie caught a chipmunk a couple weeks ago... then she almost caught a baby bird... since then she has be on high alert every time she goes outside. It's driving me crazy! She's always been interested in wildlife but she's obsessed with it now! It's like her prey instinct kicked into overdrive! You can "see" her listening and, of course, her nose is working up a storm. She will literally launch herself into the flower beds head first LOL... good thing we don't have any hidden rocks in them.

Any hints for turning her off?

Do you also live with a great Hunter/Huntress? Please tell me stories so I know I'm not the only one dealing with this madness!

Chesapeake OA, OAJ (CGC)
4/20/10

Competing in Excellent Agility ...
JWW ~ 1 of 3 Q's
STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's

Post subject: Re: Prey Drive Overdrive!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:27 am 
Active Forum Member
 YIM  Profile

Well I know last year Buddy got a baby bird so I know that feeling ALL too well! We were walking back to the apartment from the garden and he was sniffing along, doing his normal thing. We got a bit farther and I look down at him and that's when I notice a foot sticking out of his mouth! He amazingly didn't kill it but he was as proud as can be with it and didn't want to give it up. Sadly Bailey went after it and with her hunting instincts she did kill it.

Now when ever we go outside he tries to stalk the birds (thankfully he's on a leash so they both are safe!). I guess they like to prove they are still a little wild. :roll

Waiting at the Bridge:
Charlie (minature dachshund) May 1989 - June 2002

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:40 am 
Forum Legend

Training. My cocker was a hunter. The squirrels were a little tougher for her to leave alone because they would set on the fence and torment her. :lol2 But, when she would find a baby bird or start smelling in the bushes, I would say "Leave It" and she would walk away. Try training with a fake bird or life-like critter in the yard. When she goes near it, teach her to Leave It (do this on a leash so that you can control her).

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:57 am 
Forum Legend

Oh yeah, I have a huntress here. Ava is forever rabbit hunting. She's out the door nubbie straight up and nose to the grow and off she goes. I honestly cannot imagine that gentle little soul hurting a rabbit. My hubby says she'd kill it as that is nature. I think she's more likely to invite him in for salad :dk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:00 am 
Forum Legend

Aussi is always chasing the squirels and birds in the yard he has been really close to getting them at times but I think he chases them just for fun. I don't know what he'd do if he actually caught one :roll We did however have a baby bird fall out of it nest and die and he found it but didn't touch it he just ran back n forth from the spot to me until I came to check out what the fuss was about ( he would stand there paw up in a perfect point ) John is actually going to train him to get him to get his hunt on as we have a large area that he has permission to hunt in that has a ton of woodcock and pheasant, so i'm not sure what you can do but I wish you luck.

Austin Red/Buff October 21, 2009 -
"Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity." Mark Twain [color=#8000BF]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:58 pm 
Active Forum Member

When I had Joey, my sweet buff boy, all three cockers had just come home from being groomed. They were in the backyard and Joey found a baby skunk, grabbed it and shook it but still got sprayed full on in the face. I keep an "emergency" can of tomato juice but he needed more than that. Threw away his collar, it reeked of Skunk. He caught a Finch as it flew out of a bush, almost caught a duck on the Greenway when we were walking!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

Max says you should try lure coursing or scent work. He thinks it's grand that he can chase the bunny and no one calls him to stop and he uses his nose for good instead of evil... :lol2

Sadie "the princess"- Grey Calico G-day 9/14/1996

http://recycledrover.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:51 pm 
Forum Legend

Yes Hailey is a huntress extroidinair. She chases rabbits, crows, snakes, salamander, and it is worrisome as we have coyote and bear in the area also. She carried a baby brown rabbit around, last summer, but dropped it when I said...leave it. It hopped away un hurt. The big rabbits so far have out run her....snakes not so much :( Cassie tries to keep up, but would rather eat the rabbit poop than wear herself out running around. Instinct is very strong in some dogs...and training does play a big part in controlling or containng the instinct.

[color=#4000FF]Molly, Kelly, Sassy, Champ, Julie, Sugar and Miss Kitty waiting for me at the Bridge.
Currently mom to:
Cassie the Parti-Sable girl
Hailey the Red, Field coated Spaniel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:30 am 
Forum Legend

Holly is not a hunter at all. In the other hand our second Monchi used to chase lizzards (small ones) and will take their tales off. It was funny to see all these lizzards walking around without tales. He was the silliest of all our cockers. I know cat owners also get their hunting gifts a lot.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:35 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

She caught a chipmunk???? The KLADs are VERY impressed!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:48 pm 
Forum Legend

Waylon is my hunter (a/k/a terrorist). He has caught and killed chipmunks and baby birds and tries to get to any cat that comes near us on our walks. It just about kills ME when he does that. He's still so FAST, even at 11 y/o. Even Emma cannot catch him when he runs. Emma is also VERY interested in birds and squirrels and will stand stock still, then slowly creeeeeeeeeeeeep up on them until they run or fly away. It's very cute and I think she would just like to play with them. Or invite them in for a salad, as Debbie says, LOL.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:41 pm 
Active Forum Member

Ollie here, an lets da tewerrers do dah hunten roun herebouts. Des rewe gud at it too. Two das ago Britney cautted da lizard and den wuz barfy da rest ob dah hole da. Diva dog is slower den she usta be (usta wuz she cud leped up an snag a lo flyn burd frum da sky). Nowadays she huns da grasshoppers and trys for a hummin bird nowan den. Everi oncet ina yle she cautted a quail an takes it nside to release so as mum can have fun chasen da quail in da hous. Mom cusses sum yl she tries ta catchem so she can turnem loose agen. I thunk its gud exersize fer mum. Been a looong time sincet a squirel ora woodrat ora bunnies been dumbanuf to trian cross r yard. Da tewerrers dun let nuffin get out wifout nabbin dem. Dems gud hunters. I dunneed ta be a hunter. I barks n lets mum know we gots a new toy ta sho her. She's not reel happi bout da huntin stuff atoll.