An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Hindsight is 20/20
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:22 pm 
Active Forum Member

I've been reading alot about cockers lately (with Gertie's passing I need my cocker fix every day) and read Jim's article about vaccinations and cockers. Until now it never dawned on me that Gertie's skin problems started to clear up when we took her off the "all vaccines every year" routine and stuck with the rabies once a year. Something to keep in mind when I get my next girl. Just an observation, take it as you will. :lol2

Post subject: Re: Hindsight is 20/20
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:54 pm 
Active Forum Member

not sure where you are but I get the 3 year rabies vaccine here in CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:08 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

I would be sure a puppy is fully vaccinated. It is different to make that decision after your dog is mature and has been properly titered by your vet. Personally, my vet won't titer but believes all dogs need vaccinated here in SC.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:07 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

This whole vaccination thing has me all uptight. I talked to my vet about her views and while she has had three cockers with IMHA (all survived if I remember correctly) she still believes vaccinations are needed because she has had too many unvaccinated dogs succumb to diseases that are preventable with vaccinations. She will do titers but prefers to do the 3yr vaccines for rabies (by law) and the other core vaccinations parvo, distemper...and whatever the other core ones are, I can't recall but she does a three year shot on these too not every year. As far as yearly vaccines she recommened Lymes (very prevelant in our area) and Lepto (had lots of dogs contract this and most do not make it). So my question is doing the 3 yr vaccines for the core vaccinations better than the yearly? With so many cockers on here getting IMHA it scares me to death! Ginger had her appt earlier this month and was only due for the Lymes and Lepto which she got. Angels appt is coming up in a couple weeks and is due for all her shots except Rabies right now. Would spacing them make more sense or is it ok to get them all at once? We never do any type of kennel cough shot as they are never boarded. Thoughts??

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:16 am 
Forum Legend

Titer is the way to go IMO and the opinion of my vet after recently going to a education seminar. I believe he said 14 out of 16 schools feel we are over vaccinating dogs. Rabies of course is not an option

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:31 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Donna-definately space out the vaccines a month-the vet tech should be able to give the shots-the only vaccine required by a vet to administer is rabies. My vet is not crazy about titering, but I have taken the position that I want to titer first, and if the immunity levels come back not protected then I would definately vaccinate. So far Callie's titers were so ridiculously high, and Casey was recently done and his were fine, not as high as Callie's but still 4-6 times the protective immunity. Casey's titer was $79 sent to Michigan, Callie's was $89 sent to Idexx. I did a topic, I think it is stickied, with all the labs and prices and links, so if your vet doesn't want to do it or says it costs alot, show him what the lab actually charges, which is only $32. Do your research before you go and print out where you want it sent-first find out where your vet has accounts and discounted mailers to-my vet does have the mailers to Michigan, which only cost him $15, so his out of pocket cost was only $47, he charged $79, have to consider the blood draw(even though they drew it same time as the annual heartworm draw) and prep.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I am pretty sure all labs are done right here in town at the Marshfield Labs a division of the Marshfield Clinic, I am pretty sure that is what she said and I know she said titers are about $100. The reason she isn't a big fan of titers (but will do them if requested) is because she said the immunity can change at any time and just because it says it is fine one day the next month it might not. Makes sense I guess. I hate to take chances but I guess since she is doing 3yr vaccinations instead of yearly, do you think that is better? I will definately have Angels vaccinations spaces out instead of all at once too.

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:04 am 
I Rescue Cockers

My vet says in our part of the country there are too many dogs who get diseases and illnesses that can be avoided and the owners are at fault for not vaccinating. He doesn't use the 3 year rabies because of the many recalls in our area. He says he has to act on the side of caution.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."