An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Training the second scent
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

I took Blackberry to her first away trial at the end of November and she did very well. She completed her container search, interior search and vehicle search with a 96% a 91% and a 98%. The low score in our room search was my lead handling Lol. We compete in CSSDF trials here in canada and I tend to call it scent detection as opposed to nose work like many Americans (so if I forget and say scent detection I do mean nosework). So now that we have two special titles in beginners it's time to move on and train for advanced. In CSSDF trials the scent they use for novice and beginners is wintergreen and advanced is winter green and pine. Food distractions can also be used in advanced so I'm looking forward to that..NOT. I introduced pine scent just the other day and so far so good. I met a lady with 4 cockers (she only had one with her) at the away trial and it made me forget to be nervous because she was so nice and her dog was lovely. I love cocker people <3 it reminded me that I should post here more :) is anyone else currently competing in nose work or having fun doing it at classes?

Post subject: Re: Training the second scent
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:58 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

I compete in nosework with my dog Jack Jack. He has earned his SD-S (SP) from the SDDA. That's his Scent Detection - Started (Special - which means he passed all three components in the same day) from the Sporting Detection Dogs Association (here in Canada). He has passed his DOT for all three odors (which are the same ones you're using) and he has two Advanced legs as well. He just needs an Interior component pass and then he'll have his SD-A. He was a really great sniffer dog until he had a facial paralysis last September (2014). For almost a year we did no nosework, we just got back into it in July. We have also played K9 ABC Games, which is a western thing I think, but also lots of fun.

Jack Jack was the first American Cocker to earn a nosework title through the SDDA. I'm pretty proud of him - he loves the game.

I am now introducing my baby Opie (who isn't really a baby at 14 months) to nosework, but we're just starting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:13 pm 
Active Forum Member

That's awesome that Jack Jack was the first American cocker to title in SDDA, I don't think I have any of those trials around me but if I hear of some I would be interested in joining that association as well. I'm sorry to hear of Jack Jacks facial paralysis, poor little Mr. I bet he will get his final leg soon now that he's sniffing again. It's crazy how much they enjoy it. I don't think that there is another CSSDF trial until the new year so that will give Blackberry and I some time to train for advanced. If we get three advanced title scores so pass all three components three different times under at least two different judges you get a bronze award of merit that is our goal haahaa. It may take us awhile ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:40 pm 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Where are you in Ontario? The SDDA is centered in Ontario, mostly the southern part of the province. Here in Alberta the SDDA is the best option. UKC nosework is slowly taking off, but of course, those are different odors. The K9 ABC Games was a lot of fun - much more relaxed - but based in the US Pacific Northwest, so not too common here. Still, we play when we can, and we have fun with it. It's a great sport!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:23 pm 
Active Forum Member

I am near Windsor in ontario, part of the problem is that I can't navigate the SDDA website on my phone heehee. I will have to get out the laptop and look, I wonder if their criteria is harder or easier?! It would be good to do both I think :) we use the same of odours as UKC but not until superb so hopefully we will have to learn those eventually anyway. I'm not sure she has the drive to advance that far but then again cockers are just really good sniffers. I follow some working cockers that are real sniffer dogs on Instagram. What is K9 ABC's I meant to ask that earlier. It sounds interesting. The nice cocker lady I met at the last trial told me about something called barn hunting, have you heard of that?

Jessica

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:44 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

K9 ABC Games is just another nosework organization. It's pretty small, and I think almost exclusively in the Pacific Northwest.

Yes I've heard of Barn Hunt - I was entered in a seminar and a trial, but I ended up not being able to go due to other commitments that weekend.

I think the SDDA and CSSDF are pretty similar. I'm not really familiar with the CSSDF, as it's no-existent out here.

Yep, Cockers are amazing sniffers. I was so amazed at how good Jack was at it when we started. He learned his second and third odours without issue, and I know he'll learn the UKC odours too, once I get my hands on them. I just don't have them. I find it very easy to introduce additional odours. But maybe it's just luck with Jack Jack.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:58 am 
Active Forum Member

I haven't done it yet but it sounds fun.