An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: What is wrong???
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:18 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cocker spaniel is about 3 1/2 years old, been housetrained for sometime. We moved to a new house back in February and ever since then it's like she's lost her mind. During the day, when we're at work, she's okay most of the time, but will sometimes poo in the house. At night, though, almost every night she poos in the house, even like tonight where we let her out and less than an hour later, she does it! She doesn't try to tell us she needs out or anything, just goes to the same spot by the door. We have another dog and she does fine, but for some reason the cocker has lost her mind. I'm close to losing mine, anyone have any ideas? It's not runny like her stomach is upset, we try letting her out more and more, taking her for walks, even cutting back her food. Nothing. Hubby's going to buy a crate tomorrow (gave her old one to my brother after she was housetrained) but any clue why she is doing this? Thanks so much, I'm beyond frustrated right now.

Post subject: Re: What is wrong???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:37 am 
Forum Legend

Unfortunately, this happens. It's called regression in housetraining and cognitive dysfunction in older dogs forgetting training or commands.

Perhaps she thinks she is not at home. My dog peed inside for a couple days when we moved because she was a little anxious about the different environment. But she corrected herself.

In your case, I think you'll just need to repeat the training ie correct her as soon as she attempts to go inside. She should be able to return to her schooled ways quickly :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:17 am 
Active Forum Member

Hmmm... a couple of things to consider:

Is she pooping before bedtime or at some point during the night? If she is pooping when you are up and able to let her outside, I would wonder if there is something about going outside at night that is bothering her. I know Jennie is very picky and will only poop on green grass. Is her potty place surface different in the new house? Is there a dog in the neighborhood that barks at her when she goes out at night? Something else that she may find scary only at night?

If she is more often pooping during the night, you might consider changing her eating schedule. Most dogs need to poop about 8 hours after eating. An adult dog should be able to hold it until the morning if they are sleeping most of the night.

I agree that you'll need to start a re-training plan. Leash her up and take her to her potty place and tell her to go. Then wait a good long time until she at least pees. When it is dark,watch for any signs of discomfort or distress. That may help you figure out if something is bothering her. If you can catch her right before (or even during) going inside and then take her right outside, that will be good. Just be sure you don't correct her after the fact... she won't understand what she has done wrong unless you catch her in the act.

Lastly, make sure you are cleaning the area where she has pooped thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner to eliminate any odor. Be sure not to use anything with ammonia as that can smell like pee. You don't want to change one problem for another. :bg

I know it is frustrating, but try not to let it get you down. With your loving guidance, she will be able to get back on track.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:42 pm 
Forum Legend

Does your house have previous owners? My thought is that another dog/animal has pottied there before. Dogs have such keen sniffers that they can smell about 40x better than we can (maybe more - I can't remember exactly). What is the surface of the floor?

We have Poochie Bells on our back door and taught Emma how to use them. It doesn't take long-just ring them and say "go potty" or whatever your cue is and before you know it they're ringing them (or crashing into them as Emma does. Dainty - she isn't!) Maybe your dog is confused about how to tell you because the layout of the house is different, too.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:06 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Dogs do not generalize well. When we potty train kids, they learn to use a toilet no matter where they are. Houses, stores, restaurants, hotels, school, etc - they know to use the toilet. Dogs are not the same. Just because your dog was fully housetrained in your previous house doesn't mean that she understands the concepts in a new home. The best thing that you can do is start over from square one with the housetraining. Tether her to you when she's awake and you're home. Crate her (or confine her in a small room such as a bathroom or the laundry room) when you're not home. Use baby gates or exercise pens to limit her freedom in the house. Take her outside often - every 30 minutes or so to start. Don't just put her outside - go with her. Make sure she potties, and when she does, have a party. Give her treats and act like she just won Best in Show. Your neighbors will think you've lost your mind, but who cares? Act like she's a brand new puppy and start over with the housetraining. Assume she knows nothing and then you won't be so frustrated.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:09 am 
Forum Legend

I think Kelly's points were spot on. Just because a dog knows where "out" is and where it's ok to go potty at one home doesn't mean it will automatically know this at a different location. Even though Gromit is well house-trained, I take no chances. The first thing I do when I take her somewhere new is to be inside the building, and then tell Gromit, "ok, let's go potty outside", and take her to the door, take her outside, and we don't come back in until she's done something. This teaches her where the exit door is, and where an appropriate potty spot is.

Teaching her to ring the bells hanging from the door knob is very useful, too. My couch faces away from the front door, so I can't see if she goes to the door to go out. But she'll ring those bells to let me know! Unfortunately, since she knows they'll get my attention, sometimes she rings them just because she wants a treat. Also, the cat has figured out how to ring them, too!